West Tennessee liquor referendums have religious, political, economic flavor

Sep 30, 2012 Full story: The Jackson Sun 76

Henderson Mayor Bobby King says he will vote in favor of liquor sales in his community this fall because of the potential for economic growth and increased tax revenue.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Oct 11

Lexington, TN

#1 Sep 30, 2012
Hard not to agree

Location hidden

#2 Sep 30, 2012
What happened to the Petition to put Liquor Sales on the ballot here? Did it get enough signatures?

Jackson, TN

#3 Sep 30, 2012
Really Sassy wrote:
What happened to the Petition to put Liquor Sales on the ballot here? Did it get enough signatures?
The article says there is a referendum on the ballot. There can't be a referendum if it didn't get the signatures and get on the ballot. Simple
Geeezzzzz

Camden, TN

#4 Sep 30, 2012
Will U ever break and buy a paper or get a free one RS ??
Yes is passed.Geeezzzzz
http://www.magicvalleypublishing.com/v2/conte...

Jackson, TN

#5 Sep 30, 2012
Bobby Barnes said it wasn't the Christian thing. Christ's first miracle was turning water into wine at a wedding. Was he thinking 'I'll make this wine but if you drink it you'll burn in hell'. I don't think so. I bet he had a glass or two with everyone there. Guess me and Christ are sinners according to Bobby Barns since he is doing Gods job of passing judgement.

I will stand with Christ.

Location hidden

#6 Sep 30, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
The article says there is a referendum on the ballot. There can't be a referendum if it didn't get the signatures and get on the ballot. Simple
Sorry, my mistake. I hadn't read the full Article, when I made that Post, I only read the Headline. I skimmed over the Article after you made your Post and I then saw the part about Benton County and Camden, which answered my question.

Location hidden

#7 Sep 30, 2012
Geeezzzzz wrote:
Will U ever break and buy a paper or get a free one RS ??
Yes is passed.Geeezzzzz
http://www.magicvalleypublishing.com/v2/conte...
Geeezzzzz, don't crucify me, I'm in a bit of a hurry, OK?

Since: May 11

Charlotte, NC

#8 Oct 8, 2012
I would much rather someone have be responsible if they want a glass of wine and if they aren't responsible get pulled over locally than meet my family and i on a two lane road going 55~65 mph where typically there are no law enforcement

And i am a strong Christian and liquor is not a sin if it is not done in excess and many churches have it in their covenants because of that.

Other towns have gone through the same ol arguments and i assure those towns didnt go to hell or come unglued

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#9 Oct 8, 2012
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
Geeezzzzz, don't crucify me, I'm in a bit of a hurry, OK?
In a hurry to do what? Get to your next post on Topix? You really are ignorant!!!

Location hidden

#10 Oct 8, 2012
county leader 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
In a hurry to do what? Get to your next post on Topix? You really are ignorant!!!
Well Heck, I don't remember! I think I made that post two days ago. Unlike most of you, when I finish something, I move on and forget about it unless something or somebody reminds me of it, again, like you just did!
BTW, that includes Men and Relationships, too!:)
Info

Henderson, TN

#11 Oct 8, 2012
I have observed that almost every letter to the editor against package stores the person is connected FHU.
Equality

Jackson, TN

#12 Oct 8, 2012
How many deaths from drunk drivers are the taxes worth?

booze kills more people then all other dope combined.

If you drink you are as much a dope-head as a heroin user.

Location hidden

#13 Oct 8, 2012
Info wrote:
I have observed that almost every letter to the editor against package stores the person is connected FHU.
What's "FHU" the initials for?

Location hidden

#14 Oct 8, 2012
Equality wrote:
If you drink you are as much a dope-head as a heroin user.
That is just a backward, ignorant statement! Lots of people drink alcohol and never or very seldom even get "tipsy", much less drunk. If you got out of the South, you would know that!
Equality

Jackson, TN

#15 Oct 8, 2012
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
That is just a backward, ignorant statement! Lots of people drink alcohol and never or very seldom even get "tipsy", much less drunk. If you got out of the South, you would know that!
You must be a dope-head to using legal dope! You sicko addicts sicken me when you justify drunk drivers by support drinking. We need to treat drunk driving as ATTEMPTED MURDER and have a 5 yr hard labor penalty for the FIRST OFFENSE of driving drunk and execute drunks that kill.

If a drunk ever kills one of my loved ones they will die before getting to a 2-bit, softy judge...JUSTICE RULES
Equality

Jackson, TN

#16 Oct 8, 2012
Lots of people are Muslims but thousands of them still murder in the name of "Allah"...your point??

Location hidden

#17 Oct 8, 2012
Equality wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be a dope-head to using legal dope! You sicko addicts sicken me when you justify drunk drivers by support drinking. We need to treat drunk driving as ATTEMPTED MURDER and have a 5 yr hard labor penalty for the FIRST OFFENSE of driving drunk and execute drunks that kill.
If a drunk ever kills one of my loved ones they will die before getting to a 2-bit, softy judge...JUSTICE RULES
My Dear, you could not be more wrong. I've never even smoked a marijuana cigarette, nor smelled one , but once in my Life, much less anything else. Me, and my immediate Family are extremely Anti-Narcotics, of any kind.
But, I've not always lived in the South and when you get out of the South, it's considered polite manners, to offer a Guest an alcoholic drink when they enter your home...just like you see done on TV. It's only in the South that most of the "Drinkers" think they cannot stop drinking until they get drunk. Now, you should wonder if the attitude toward Drinking of People just like you, making such a Big Deal out of it, has actually caused this "have to drink until I get drunk" mentality and has made the problem much worse than it should be? It's well known that making something "taboo" is the best way to spark more interest in it and cause People to go overboard with it , when they get the chance to indulge in it, whatever it is...especially young People!
So, it's very possible that the attitude of People just like you has actually made the very Problem that you're trying to prevent, much worse! If you're doing it for Religious reasons, think about this...Jesus drank Wine at the Last Supper, supposedly. It couldn't have been Grape Juice because they didn't have any refrigeration back then and even Grape Juice would have fermented from the heat and become alcoholic! So, if they drank anything but water, and it pictured as a dark-colored Liquid and written about as either Grape Juice or Wine, depending on the Religion. Well, it had to be Wine for the reason that I previously stated. Bad wine probably, but fermented, alcoholic Wine nonetheless!
overit

United States

#18 Oct 9, 2012
Equality wrote:
If you drink you are as much a do owpe-head as a heroin user.
that is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time! Peaple are going to drink reguardless! Its legal! So why not buy liquor in our own county instead of one of the surrounding counties!
The Rogue

Olive Branch, MS

#19 Oct 15, 2012
overit wrote:
<quoted text> that is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time! Peaple are going to drink reguardless! Its legal! So why not buy liquor in our own county instead of one of the surrounding counties!
YYyyeaaahhhpppPP!....and while yer at it, lift all the laws offa white light'n, too! That'll get rid of all the problems about taxes and drive'n drunk. Why, shucks, ya cain't even walk after a snort of that stuff!
Bubba

Collierville, TN

#20 Oct 15, 2012
Really I agree with you I have a friend who lives in
a bigger town and he says you might live there 5
years and not even know your neighbors. Also he
said they don't try to keep up with your business
like they do here because they are to busy working
or enjoying their leisure time. Apparently they
have other hobbies besides Gossip like people do
here. It's really sad just how bored people are
here with their own lives to try to keep up
with others so much.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tennessee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who's got your vote in the Tennessee Senate rac... 4 hr Read between the ... 41
Man, 21, claims to be Denzel Washington during ... 9 hr Xstain Mullah Aroma 8
Amendment 1 supporters gather at Knoxville memo... 10 hr Mustang Mike 1
State DHS sees child support collections hit re... (Jul '07) Wed seanheeger 149
Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) Oct 25 clifton e pigg 8,658
Ronald G. Turner Discusses Logistics and Morali... Oct 25 dsvv 1
Tennessee health profile - Hawkins County Oct 24 Calhoun 2

Tennessee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE