s.c. dss a story that must be told!!!!
ann thompson

AOL

#61 Jun 11, 2006
i am from gaffney sc i took in four kids that were not my own ages 15 months 8 9 and 12 i had had them all but the oldest for over a year all fours mothers where addicted to drugs. and did not want their kids. the baby called me mama. we lived off of my ssi each month and the only way we had of going is walking my land lord would not fix anything in our home and dss would not help us get into a better home insted they took the kids from me they said i was not blood kin so they could not help me and the next day i was put in jail for child neglect. when i went to court it was thrown out of court but yet i still can't see the kids i haven't laid eyes on them in almost a year dss is crappy i love these kids like they are my on and they love me and the mothers are still out there doing drugs and selling their bodies for drugs and never once went to jail for child neglect
Cindy Luna

United States

#62 Jun 13, 2006
I think DSS needs a new overhaul of new employees. My daughter and her two girls have had their bad experience with DSS as well. Nothing would surprise me coming from DSS. And to think our tax dollars pay for their salary. The children and suffer greatly because of the carelessness of the case workers and the many files that lay on their desk unattended. Court cases delayed etc. They all need to be fired and new employees hired. Cindy Luna who lives in Winchester, VA and my children live in SC.
unknown

Goose Creek, SC

#63 Jun 13, 2006
Alot of people fell to realize that Dss doesn't remove kids from the home unless authorize by the Police Dept that sees fit for the child to be removed. Dss are sent out to investigate but are not allowed to remove with out authorization by the Police Dept.
bridgett

Chester, SC

#64 Jun 13, 2006
i think dss sould only have removed the childern if the grandfather had been convicted
lynne

Columbia, SC

#65 Jun 14, 2006
Unknown - that is not true. DSS can circumvent the police and go to court and tell the judge anything they want to get a court order to remove the children. Then the police have to comply and assist them whether they want to or not. Wake up and smell the stench - DSS has way too much power!
stacey

Little River, SC

#66 Jun 16, 2006
Anyone who has ever had to deal with DSS can teel you what a nightmare they are. My mother is a respected special needs teaching assistant, my father is gainfully employed in construction. My parents raised my younger brother and I without ever having to be investigated by DSS for any of their actions. My brother became involved with a piece of white trash who already had 2 kids with 2 other men and then she got pregnant with my precious little nephew. After calling the police to their home last year when she started beating him while he was holding my 14 month old nephew, they took her to the hospital for a psych eval. She is bipolar and was not properly taking her meds at that time. She talked her way out of a psych admit and then proceeded to walk over 20 miles home, refusing rides from both my brother (who was afraid that she would harm herself) and by the police officer who had taken her to the hospital to start with. She then showed up at my mother;s home demanding that her 3 kids be given back to her. My little nephew and the other 2 kids (who are no relation to us) were placed in my mother's custody the night before by the police when they took the mother to the hospital. The police came and made us give the kids back. Little did we know, we did not have to give my nephew back. Unfortunately, the officers from Aiken County Sheriff's Office who came to my mother's house that moring when this psycho was trying to break down the door did not tell us this. We were told that the mother's rights in the state of SC supercede the fathers's if the parents are not married and that we could all be charged with kidnapping if we did not give him back. 4 days later, my brother was called by one of the ACSO investigators and told that he needed to turn himself in on the CDV warrant that had been issued for his arrest, despite the fact that he had never talked to the 2 police officers from 2 different agencies who had responded to the initial call that night. A jury deliberated for less than 5 minutes before declaring my brother not guilty of CDV. Family court has been hell. DSS was called in initially because of the abuse allegations. Over a year after being cleared by a jury of his peers of the abuse charges, my brother still has only supervised visitation with his son, who is still in the custody of his unstable bipolar mother. She again reported him last June because my nephew fell while playing on my mother's swimming pool deck and got some scratched. Never mind the fact that my mother and I were both sitting on the swing not 10 feet away when it happened. My mom has always had to deal with DSS through her job because she works with special needs kids. To see our family treated like this has been so disheartening for us. There are other children out there who need DSS's help while they are investigating the frivolous claims levelled against us by the disturbed woman. To think that DSS would even give any merit to her claims of abuse is scary, as her children were removed from her custody previously while she was pregnant with my nephew. Despite her not having custody of her 2 other kids (one of whom had been placed with my parents) she was allowed to take my defenseless newborn nephew home with her. Where was DSS when this was allowed to go on?
gypsy

Great Falls, SC

#67 Jun 18, 2006
i have to totally agree that most of the time DSS doesn't take the time to find out the whole story,12 years ago Dss took my child from me based on horrible lies.Now 12 years later my child wants to come live with me and is not allowed,because of some woman on her first case ever.So a word of warning to anyone who is/has dealt with DSS make sure you can prove all allageations are false. this happened in ST.STEPHENS SOUTH CAROLINA..
tina wrote:
I think dss is wrong for taking the kids from a home were they were being taken care of just fine.Dss do wake up cause you guys are the one who are huting these innocent children who dont deserve this the ones you need to take you dont u let them stay in a home that they dont need to be in but of course you would take a child out of a good home and put them some were they dont need to be this is a sad story and it need to be handle and let those kids go home
gypsy

Great Falls, SC

#68 Jun 18, 2006
I have to agree half the time DSS does not know what they are doing.12 years ago DSS took my daughter based on lies.Now 12 years later my wants to come live with me and has been told that she can't.THE DSS worker at the time was on her very first case ever and did not know what she was doing,so a word of advice to anyone who has /is dealing with DSS make sure you can back up your story with plenty of witnesses.This took place in Berkley,(St.Stephens)county SOUTH CAROLINA.

GYPSY
anon

AOL

#69 Jun 24, 2006
unknown wrote:
Alot of people fell to realize that Dss doesn't remove kids from the home unless authorize by the Police Dept that sees fit for the child to be removed. Dss are sent out to investigate but are not allowed to remove with out authorization by the Police Dept.
You do not know what you are talking about! DSS workers think and act as if they are God and the law does what DSS tells them!
markus clarke

Lillington, NC

#70 Jun 25, 2006
HI MY NAME IS MARKUS AND I AM FROM ESTILL. i THINK THAT DSS DOES A GOOD JOB AS FAR AS WITH WOMEN WHO CANT GET A JOB WITH ASSISTANCE. oN THE OTHER HAND THERE ARE SOME WOMEN OUT THERE WHO CAN GET A JOB BUT WONT BECUASE THEY KNOW DSS WILL GIVE THEM ALL THE HELP THEY NEED. nOW WHAT THIS BRINGS UPON CHILD SUPPORTN ORDERS ON MEN WHO ALREADY DO FOR THE KIDS IN THE SITUATION AND MAKE SLIFE MISSERABLE FOR MEN. wOMEN DONT CARE JUST AS LONG AS THEY GET THE FREE FOOD STAMPS AND HELP THAT DSS PROVIDES. i THINK THEY SHOULD PROVIDE A SYSTEM TO BE NOTIFIED IF SUCH WOMEN ACTUALLY TRY TO HELP THEMSELVES FIRST BEFORE THEY OFFER ASSISTANCE. tHER ARE BETTER WAYS TO SPEND THE TAX MONEY THAN JUST GIVE IT TO SOMEONE WHO DOESNT WANNA MAKE THEMSELVES A BETTER PERSON.

MARKUS
Rebecca Leigh Rollins

Columbia, SC

#71 Jun 27, 2006
I am living proof of this story. At the age of 15, I was taken away from my family due to accusations of my sister and father. They sought out revenge on me and my mom because of a nasty divorce. Our lives weren't perfect, but I am not guilty of what they accused me of: drug traffiking and prostitution. DSS took a blood test and it came back perfect. There was no proof whatsoever. DSS came and ripped me away from my mom out of spite and revenge. I was in a foster mom's house for 8 months until a boyfriend wronged me and caused me to be placed in a group home. How many times must a person have to die while on Earth? I have an ugly stain on my name now and my life will never be the same. Due to what happened, I suffer with deep depression, anxiety, and the list goes on. I will be the bigger and better person in this and since the day I got my wake up call, I have held my head as high as the heavens. No one will tear me down again. My motivation is that one day, all the people that have wronged me will finally realize what they have done and God will judge and punish them. I have to believe that.

I am now 16 and will turn 17 on September 25.I have seen and felt things people twice my age have never experienced before. I can't say that I don't cry or feel horrible, because let me tell you--this has been one hell of an experience. DSS is wrong, courts are wrong, and my family that did this is wrong. I need my family back, but I'm almost grown and no one cares about letting me go back. They simply think that when I turn 18, it'll all work out. They're wrong. DSS and my father and sister have done something to me that'll never be fixed. They destroyed me. But--I will never stay where they think I will. I am the better person.
Liz

Little River, SC

#72 Jul 5, 2006
Are you nuts, do you actually expect anyone to believe that a dss caseworker said that any man would be aroused because a little girl sat on his lap? If you are going to fabricate that it would stand to reason that the rest of your "tale" is equally false. It must be easy to spread your tale, but I bet it would be a different tale if dss did not have to protect your privacy and could post a copy of court orders on the web to show everyone why you do not have your children with you.
If you had done whatever the court, not the dss caseworker stated, you would have your girls back. It was not dss who took your children from your custody, it was either a family court judge or the police since by state law only a family court judge or law enforcement can remove your children from your home. Since you had to go to court to have the children placed with another relative, the judge would have ordered that you complete some sort of treatment plan (i.e. you would have your children returned immediately if the only thing going on in your home was the molestation of your children by their father) hence it would stand to reason that you had some sort of issues of your own and that is why you are not raising your own children. Look in the mirror if you want to see why you do not have the privilege of raising your own flesh and blood and by the way, why don't you have a home of your own to raise your children?
Queenie

Rockport, TX

#73 Jul 8, 2006
Any time the Government has any thing to do with anything it only makes things worst never better. The government always finds it has a problem after the problem is bigger then life. I really feel sorry for those young ladies and they grandparents. anytime CPS is involved the kids seem to always come out the losers. I think there are never going to be enough CPS workers to truly invest the time needed to check out all the cases of child abuse that is reported each year in America. that's why we have so much child abuse because some a hole knows it will take alone time for the government to find out what really happen. in the mean time they are out in force looking to abuse more children. Me I won't wait for the government to help me if my kids get abused I am taking matters in my own hands.
Penny CHARLESTON SC

Maxton, NC

#74 Jul 8, 2006
MANY YEARS AGO MY FAMILY HAD A RUN IN WITH DSS ALSO. AND IT IS THE CHILDREN THAT DSS IS SUPPOSE TO BE PROTECTING !! MY KIDS WERE WITH DSS FOR 45 DAYS AND THEY HAD NEVER BEEN AWAY FROM THIER DAD OR I. DSS TOLD ME WE WERE SHOWING TO MUCH EMOTION MY KIDS CRIED WE GOT TO SEE THEM AN HOUR A WEEK WITH DSS PRESENT IN A LITTLE ROOM. I WAS TOLD MANY TIMES NOT TO CRY IN FRONT OF MY KIDS. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD THAT IS WHEN THEY HAVE TO PULL THEM OFF OF YOU WHEN IT IS TIME TO GO UNTIL THE NEXT WEEK FOR AN HOUR! WE WERE IN THE MDDLE OF A DIVORCE. I LIVED IN VA AND CHARLESTON COUNTY DID NOT WANT TO LOSSE JURISDICTION OVER OUR KIDS SO THEY PLACED THEM IN DSS UNTIL THEY COULD SEE WHO WAS TELLING THE TRUTH. THERE WAS NO ABUSE TO OUR CHILDREN HE AND I JUST COULDNT GET ALONG WITH EACH OTHER WE WERE YOUNG.. OUR KIDS STILL GET UPSET IF WE TALK ABOUT IT WITH THEM EVEN THOUGHT THEY WERE SMALL THEY DO REMEMBER THEY ARE 17 AND 16 AND 13 NOW. HE AND I WILL ALWAYS HATE THE FACT THAT SOMEONE ELSE STEPPED IN TO TELL US WHAT WILL HAPPEN WITH OUR KIDS AFTER MONTHS OF DEALING WITH DSS AND LAWYERS WE GOT OUR KIDS OUT OF THE DSS NIGHTMARE, THIS IS JUST A LITTLE INSIGHT ON OUR NIGHTMARE! CALL THE NEWS LET THEM HEAR YOUR STORY SEE IF THAT GETS THE BALL MOVING IN THE RIGHT WAY. YOU HAVE RIGHTS AND THE NEWS IS FREE TO ALL OF US AND IT DOES GET HEADS TURNING!!!! I KNOW THIS IS VERY HARD FOR YOU AND YOUR KIDS, AS LONG AS DSS CAN CALL THE SHOTS IT WILL. CALL YOUR LOCAL NEWS LET IT BE HEARD, GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU SAFE!!
chris

Charlotte, NC

#75 Jul 12, 2006
All counties of DSS suck! None of them do their job. If you report something, they act like you are a convict!! They don't have anyones' interest in mind. The only interest they have is...job security and a paycheck. It is time for someone to take a stand against this beauracratic crap and do right by the children. From my experience with NC DSS, it appears that the majority of them have a job, because good ole Uncle Bob is on the board of directors. I'm not sure if they even have any education past a GED or not.
Oh Well, May God bless and protect our children, because DSS sure won't.
paul

United States

#76 Jul 12, 2006
you right chris - need to put their ass on notice - vote their ass out of office- help us GOD
msbea803

AOL

#77 Jul 16, 2006
The story is very sad, none the less, it is important that all the truth is found out we as people in general tend to believe sometimes the worst of a situation,I believe in what is right, by having grandchildren of my own, I am very disturbed by the alligations, and I truly pray that the children will be back with there love ones before anything else happens to them.
bettyboopanna

Virginia Beach, VA

#78 Jul 17, 2006
Derek wrote:
DSS is a joke
Yes, I fully agree, DSS is a BIG EXPENSIVE UGLY JOKE AND SHOULD BE RESTRUCTURED TO AID THE CHILDREN, NOT HELP THOSE THAT DON'T GIVE A DAMN.
victoria corbin

AOL

#79 Jul 26, 2006
This makes me so sick.
My best friend in high school was being molested by her father, and when my mother called dss, they were of absolutly no help whatsoever. we didn't have any solid proof.
My mother called dss on the neighbors when the 13 year old girl came beating on the door crying that her step father had been beating her and her mother. the dss told my mother that SHE may be breaking the law by "holding a minor" if she didn't send her home if the parents asked her to.
My father is a pastor and called needing help for 3 abused children, and in the end nothing was accoplished even though their mother is addicted to crack and is a prostitute with 3 dirty children who have lice and living in a moble home with no electricity. she got a "warning" and then she skipped town with these poor children.
What is the dss there for if nothing is being accomplished? i don't understand how something like this is allowed to happen. but sadly they happen all the time. and why in the %&!! is nothing being done? if we were talking about animals there'd be a crowd outside the dss protesting! and these are our children!!!
Henry

Union, SC

#80 Jul 27, 2006
Teri wrote:
This is the story of Kimberly and Amber,
Kimbery and Amber lived with their mom ,dad , grandmother
and grandfather.
The girls dad would not keep a job to support his family , so
the grandfather grandmother and mother supported them.
After a long period of time, the grandfather told the girls dad that
he could no longer help someone who would not help themselfves and
their family. So, he told the father of the girls that he would have to leave.
the grand father grandmother and mother supported the girls
And continued to. But the father had to go , he never once contribted
to the familys needs.
After the father was told to leave , he become very angry, and seeked
revenge on the grandfather. So , the father went straight to dss and told them that
the granfather was molesting the girls, when in fact it was the father who
molested them. The father later confessed and is now in prison.
The grandfather was never conviceted of the accusations, because they were just that ,accusations by a confessed child molester.
A case worker made a comment to the girls grandmother
he said and i quote'' A man will be a man and most men would be aroused by a little girl sitting in their lap''
This is the man who works for dss ,he took the girls from their safe loving home and were turned over to their dads [the confessed molester] Aunt and Uncle!! Who inturn molested the girls a second time thanks to dss!!
Kimbery tried to tell the aunt what the uncle had done to her sister and herself.
This made the aunt so mad that she beat kimberly and told the child she was a lier.
Thank GOD Kimberly was a smart girl . The next day Kimberly told the school bus driver and her teacher what had happened.She and her sister were taken to a childrens home shortly after Kimberly had told everyone.
Kimberly and Ambers mother had to pay , and is still paying child support
to the dads aunt and uncle. The ones who molested both of her children!!!
The girls are in a childrens home . This nightmare has been allowed to go on for three long years of the young girls life . Three years , and their innocents has been robbed . Never will anyone be able to return to the girls what they have been visously robbed of , at such a tender age.
The grandfather was never convicted of abusing the girls . He has suffered this injustise right along with the girls .As well as the mother and the grandmother and everyone who loves these speical little girls. How can dss take these girls from their home just because a convicted child molsters FALSE ACCUSATIONS!!!!!
The girls mother gets to see them on very rare occasions.
Its so very sad , and all they do is cry and beg their mom to take them home.
I;d like to know why dss acts like they can't see that this is insainly wrong
and cruel !!! How can they do this to innocent children and continue to get away with it , and go home to their own kids every night. I prey to GOD every night for these preious children , who dont deserve such devastaing injustice. It is in GODS hands
and I know HE will make things right .
This is a true story , its location , westminster s.c.
Oconee county is weak when it comes to child molestation.Most of the time when it comes to prosecution, it involves people who know each other in some way and many turn away because of fear. I depise some of the things I know about the police department officials some dead some not who fail to protect as well as parents .Nevertheless the "perp" get away and is shelted by weak laws. I know Westminster, Seneca, wahalla,all the sorrounding towns.
get a copy of all the records for your daughters to see if they want. They will have questions!!!! If the DSS worker did in fact turn the children over to a molester, seek legal restitution for them

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Carolina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 9 dead in S.C. shooting at historic black churc... (Jun '15) Jan 13 Loveeveryone 330
Moving to South Carolina? Jan 6 Gyorgy Szoros 3
News Study: South Carolina drivers ranked third wors... Jan 5 SeaShells 2
News US deportations of illegal immigrants up 2 percent Jan 2 Wildchild 2
News SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Dec 30 treetop 1,184
Wake up Dec 29 All American 1
News US Embassy Move to Jerusalem Could Further Fuel... Dec 26 Retribution 4
More from around the web