Comments
621 - 640 of 758 Comments Last updated Saturday Aug 16
Bella

Charleston, SC

#656 Apr 23, 2013
I am currently in foster care and am trying to protect the money I receive from my survivors benefit. The check has been made in my name but dss is telling me I must send it back so that they can pay my foster mom. My foster mom does absolutely nothing for me. She doesn't speak to me at all let alone provide food. I have been buying groceries and tolietries since moving in her home. Dss. Does not deserve to use my benefits in order to pay someone who is ONLY providing shelter for me when I am struggling to feed and clothe myself and working two jobs while in high school!! Are there anynlaws that will allow me to keep the funds? Does anyone know. Also, I am 18 anf voluntary In The system because I have no where to go until I leave for college.
R Sterling

Tampa, FL

#657 Apr 24, 2013
Good luck to everyone that has to deal with this.What happened to me,first off i took a loan out of my retirement account.the day after it went in i paid my bills and went to go get 20.00 to get my daughter lunch before work.however the money wasn't there because my wife took it all.6000.00 i called her and she just blew me off.several days later i told her i wanted half the money so i could get some chrisrmas presents for my kids and get my youngest daughter an attorney for petty larceny case.well she said no i got mad and shook her and threaten her.So the next nine days when i was home she wasn't,on the ninth day she showed up and nagged and fussed at me for 3 hours then left.and on the 10 th day she filed a Temporary restraining order on me saying she was afraid of me.Now around the 15th of march she goes to Hawaii (it ended up being for over a month)leaves my daughter with these 2 people she let move in my home tgat were homeless.my wife in feb told the court that my daughters lawyer was out of town,so they postponed till march.two days before court she tells me i have to get my daughter an attorney,talk to djj,they said come to court and it will be worked out.i tell the judge about wife being in hawaii,about temp rest order next thing i know he calls for an emergency hearing,tells dss to take child into custody and im standing there in shock,he said he was afraid for my daughters safety cause of the TRO that was between me and my wife,my daughter is 15 and he didnt ask here anything.so now i have a dss hearing tomorrow,i am so overwhelmed i am at a loss.thanks for your sight R.Sterling.Sorry this all happened in Anderson county with very old traveling judge from charleston whos term is up in june.
jodi dorcherster county

Summerville, SC

#658 May 2, 2013
My 3 grandchildren were removed 3- from there mother for criminal demostic violence....
my daughter has over the last 15 years has put her boyfriends first..this means that her children have suffered great abuse physically and mentally. if she fights with them they (CHILDREN) take the brunt of her anger. if they get in her way of her time to spend with them they get the brunt of her anger. when DSS had interviews with the children they told the story.the school reported and took photos.she has anger issues and refuses to take responsibility. she thinks it ok and her right cause she owns them to put the head of a 15 year old in to the wall to teach him a lesson. Dss has all they need to keep the children out of the home until mom gets help however the supervisior of the investigator overrode the results and put them back.My child continues to threaten her children to be silent and tells the 15 years old he will pay the price when her gets home and will beat his ass. I have recording showing her anger. the school had her arrested because she became violent in the school because they reported the insident with her 5 year old. WHY Is DSS SO LAZY...THE SUOERVISIOR WAS STANDING BY MOM TELLING HER THAT AFTER THE 45 DAYS SHE WOULD GET THEM BACK... DISPITE THE OUTCOME OF THE INVESTIGATION... The law states that bY the proponderence of the evidence is all that is needed and that the goal of DSS is to identify conditions that raise concerns of abuse and the health and safty,and well being of the child.. THEY BREAK THERE OWN RULES AND LAWS.
adoption and dss

Barnwell, SC

#661 May 15, 2013
I adopted my grandson last year. My daughter was arrested while he was with her for falling asleep under hairdryer at salon.TRUE! Disorderly conduct..dss took him! They had me attend session today with someone.contracted.by state called Carolina childerns clition or something I was given no printed data. Now after consulting with several attornies I have been told when the parents gave up there rights and I completed adoption have new birth certificate that the ex grandmother had no rights dss told me plainly she does they have discussed my sons evauliationz with her and she told me not to worry she would not be asking for child support. Because. They have told her they are pushing for he'd to have him. They said today she had every right to him. Adoption records are sealed! Why do they have this power to misuse our rights. And they told me I have no rights T this point because dss has him in there custody! They have not talked to.me about anything and told her everything. They have nothing on me with the exception. I was not protecting my zone by letting my daughter watch him that day! AND YES ATTORNEY ARE EXPENSIVE BUT I CAN SEE WHY WITH THIS MISUSE OF JUSTICE! ANYONE GOT SUGGESTIONS ..email....annaguynn@Hotmail.c om. thanks
Leslie

Paola, KS

#662 May 17, 2013
adoption and dss wrote:
I adopted my grandson last year. My daughter was arrested while he was with her for falling asleep under hairdryer at salon.TRUE! Disorderly conduct..dss took him! They had me attend session today with someone.contracted.by state called Carolina childerns clition or something I was given no printed data. Now after consulting with several attornies I have been told when the parents gave up there rights and I completed adoption have new birth certificate that the ex grandmother had no rights dss told me plainly she does they have discussed my sons evauliationz with her and she told me not to worry she would not be asking for child support. Because. They have told her they are pushing for he'd to have him. They said today she had every right to him. Adoption records are sealed! Why do they have this power to misuse our rights. And they told me I have no rights T this point because dss has him in there custody! They have not talked to.me about anything and told her everything. They have nothing on me with the exception. I was not protecting my zone by letting my daughter watch him that day! AND YES ATTORNEY ARE EXPENSIVE BUT I CAN SEE WHY WITH THIS MISUSE OF JUSTICE! ANYONE GOT SUGGESTIONS ..email....annaguynn@Hotmail.c om. thanks
Your problem isn't quite clear to me but it looks like you let your daughter who lost custody of her child watch him for you one day and that DSS stepped in and took back the child. What does your paperwork/safety plan say about the parent seeing the grand child you adopted? You should have some written summary of the meeting you attended the other day.

They have the power because they are South Carolina DSS, an agency with deep reaching and unlimited power and everything is cloaked under "privacy for the child". You need to keep a journal and it should contain the date, time and name of anyone with DSS that you speak with about your case. It should contain only facts, nothing with your opinion or feelings. This data will be helpful to an attorney if need one.

If you are missing paperwork you should contact DSS Constituent Services in Columbia. They will open a "call ticket" on your concerns and forward them to the county where the problem is. When I helped a innocent family member wade through the deep swamp that is SCDSS we only had success using Constituent Services to make contact with the county DSS employees. Even at the point that DSS dropped the case against him, NO ONE at the county returned his calls to get a copy of the "unfounded" document, no one. One call to Constituent Services and two weeks later he had the paperwork from the county.
No name

Greenville, SC

#663 May 28, 2013
I'm in a dss case i was raped by my step dad and dss wanted to put me and my little brother in his care until my mom took then to court never get dss involed they will say they are on your side but they aren't the want to take a child away from home to get paid more money dss is stupid af
History Repeats Itself

North Charleston, SC

#664 May 30, 2013
I have been reading all these stories from a few years ago. They sound so familiar to me. in 2007, my daughter was taken from my home in Arkansas. I left her with my live in boyfriend so I could go to work. I came home later that afternoon and her face was covered in bruises. I reported him and I was the one they blamed. I was the one who "Should have known he was a violent felon" WTH? I cannot understand why a person is expected to be a psychic, never sleep, be in all places at once without ever losing patience or getting frustrated.

6 years later, my mother has full custody of my daughter. I have sued for custody about 7 times. I am now broke beyond repair, both financially and emotionally. I have given up. The state will never allow me to have my daughter ever again and has even gone so far as to tell me that if I have any more children, they will take them from me, since I am obviously incapable of making good decisions on my own.

That was in Arkansas and most recently in Idaho. I now live in South Carolina. This is the most galling of all instances. I got a visit from DSS around 9 A.M. yesterday, May 30th... Asking to do a walk through. I asked why. She said that there had been an allegation of possible child abuse and unfit housing. I was incredulous! WTF was going on. I asked who she was looking for again, she said my name. I asked what kids had been reported to be living here, she said 2 little girls. I asked if she was from some different dimension where things were different. She looked at me as though I was crazy. I finally told her, I don't have any children in this house. I told her that I only have one child living and she was in Idaho. I also informed her that my second daughter had been stillborn and if she needed proof, to contact Arkansas. I asked her where she got her information from and she said she couldn't say, that it was confidential. I said bullshit. But, whatever, it's okay. I then let her know that she was not coming into my house, she was not welcome to come back and that if she did, she had better have police backup and a very clear warrant.

I have never been so shocked. I got a visit form DSS and I don't even have kids. I will not have any more children and not because I make bad decisions, because I am not about to go through this soul shattering, heart ripping pain ever again. Once was enough, thank you very much.
torrell

Pittsburgh, PA

#665 May 31, 2013
I have a complaint can someone guide me in the right direction dss took my daughter from her birth mom for negkect and child endangerment at the time I did nit know I gad this daughter until a relative calked me and stated the she was in hospital and was supposedly mine long story short I followed proper channels only to find out that my daughters birth moms dad had gotten temp custody we went to court I had blood test with ending result was he still has her
patrick

United States

#666 May 31, 2013
Listen up everyone. If you would like to get a class action lawsuit started against scdss you will want to hear this. My name is patrick, I am a father of three. And I am going to start a class action lawsuit against dss in sc. If you would like to be a part of it and have your case heard please send your story and contact information to my email att jazz2801@gmail.com. I will meet with my attournees on Monday morning and discuss this matter with them. I will be filling restraining orders on the entire department and issuing a class action lawsuit against them. I am also seeking criminal charges against york county dss and chester county dss. I am contacting action 9 and am putting this matter in front of the people. I have the money to back me up and am not afraid to use it. So please if you want a shot at dss in sc then email me and let's show these people we are tired of them messing with our children. Let's take a stand and show our children how much we love them and will fight for them.
Leslie

Paola, KS

#667 Jun 1, 2013
History Repeats Itself wrote:
I have been reading all these stories from a few years ago. They sound so familiar to me. in 2007, my daughter was taken from my home in Arkansas. I left her with my live in boyfriend so I could go to work. I came home later that afternoon and her face was covered in bruises. I reported him and I was the one they blamed. I was the one who "Should have known he was a violent felon" WTH? I cannot understand why a person is expected to be a psychic, never sleep, be in all places at once without ever losing patience or getting frustrated.
6 years later, my mother has full custody of my daughter. I have sued for custody about 7 times. I am now broke beyond repair, both financially and emotionally. I have given up. The state will never allow me to have my daughter ever again and has even gone so far as to tell me that if I have any more children, they will take them from me, since I am obviously incapable of making good decisions on my own.
That was in Arkansas and most recently in Idaho. I now live in South Carolina. This is the most galling of all instances. I got a visit from DSS around 9 A.M. yesterday, May 30th... Asking to do a walk through. I asked why. She said that there had been an allegation of possible child abuse and unfit housing. I was incredulous! WTF was going on. I asked who she was looking for again, she said my name. I asked what kids had been reported to be living here, she said 2 little girls. I asked if she was from some different dimension where things were different. She looked at me as though I was crazy. I finally told her, I don't have any children in this house. I told her that I only have one child living and she was in Idaho. I also informed her that my second daughter had been stillborn and if she needed proof, to contact Arkansas. I asked her where she got her information from and she said she couldn't say, that it was confidential. I said bullshit. But, whatever, it's okay. I then let her know that she was not coming into my house, she was not welcome to come back and that if she did, she had better have police backup and a very clear warrant.
I have never been so shocked. I got a visit form DSS and I don't even have kids. I will not have any more children and not because I make bad decisions, because I am not about to go through this soul shattering, heart ripping pain ever again. Once was enough, thank you very much.
That is really weird, that DSS visited you yesterday. It sounds like someone holds a grudge against you, filed a complaint w/ local DSS and DSS had to act on it. Good for you for not allowing the walk through.

And yes, everything DSS does is shielded behind privacy or confidentiality clauses which allows false allegations to be made and the wrongful accuser never punished. Were I you I would phone the DSS state constituent office in Columbia and register a complaint. A call ticket would be generated and your question/complaint would be sent to your county and a record of your call is on file. This might help you if someone continues to make complaints against you.
Juliette

United States

#668 Jun 1, 2013
patrick wrote:
Listen up everyone. If you would like to get a class action lawsuit started against scdss you will want to hear this. My name is patrick, I am a father of three. And I am going to start a class action lawsuit against dss in sc. If you would like to be a part of it and have your case heard please send your story and contact information to my email att jazz2801@gmail.com. I will meet with my attournees on Monday morning and discuss this matter with them. I will be filling restraining orders on the entire department and issuing a class action lawsuit against them. I am also seeking criminal charges against york county dss and chester county dss. I am contacting action 9 and am putting this matter in front of the people. I have the money to back me up and am not afraid to use it. So please if you want a shot at dss in sc then email me and let's show these people we are tired of them messing with our children. Let's take a stand and show our children how much we love them and will fight for them.
I have would love for you to contact me at juliettejolie88@gmail.com ... I have a story that will burn your ears off, my children and I are victims of an abusive spouse...who used sc family courts to "steal" our children...I would prefer not to post all of the details online..but I'm with you, and would love to share my story..nightmare!
Adoption

Franklin, NC

#669 Jun 3, 2013
Juliette wrote:
<quoted text>
I have would love for you to contact me at juliettejolie88@gmail.com ... I have a story that will burn your ears off, my children and I are victims of an abusive spouse...who used sc family courts to "steal" our children...I would prefer not to post all of the details online..but I'm with you, and would love to share my story..nightmare!
I am with you both on this one and hope that all of the people that have been affected by the abuse of power with-in this dept will all get togeather and make a change for the children!
patrick

United States

#670 Jun 3, 2013
Get_the_Facts wrote:
Reading many of the comments here makes me wonder the motivation behind them. Courts order children into custody, not DSS. Birth parents who work their treatment plans, demonstrate the ability to care for the children and meet the standards set by the COURTS get return by...ah, the Court. If you have a legitimate complaint, go to a legal defense agency, present your story AND your evidence to back up your claims and haul DSS into court. Painting the picture of your family as blameless saints on an anonymous message board does nothing but keep your child/children in foster care, which is no place to grow up. At the end of the day, the parent can take charge, and should. He said/she said is not evidence. Any attorney that is minimally competent could rip DSS a new one were all these allegations accurate. Last time I checked, at almost no time has anyone of those of you posting here related how you took on DSS with evidence. There is a tremendous amount of misinformation posted here, but hey, if that makes you all feel better to post blah, blah, blah, keep at it.
Don't know who you are, but you sound like a piece of garbage. I have fought dss twice and embarressed them in court both times. Even though I won, my children still paid the price. My daughter was tested for sexual abuse and it was found too be negative both times. But because of these tests my daughter had reoccurring nightmares for over 2 years, she started wetting the bed, she woke up screaming in the middme of the night and hardly ate anything. I had too get counceling for her and put her on three different kinds of medicine including sleeping pills. She was so happy before these tests. And even though I won, I feel like I lost. So don't come on here talking crap too people, there are innocent children at stake here. And do you know why my daughter had too undergo this? Ill tell you, because the sister of my childs mother got mad at me, she wanted me too have an affair with her, and I said no and told the mother of my child about it. So she decided too get even with me and made an annomyous call too dss. My child suffered severly because of this woman and dss allowed her too do it. I believe that if you have the balls too make a call too dss on a child then you should have the balls too leave your name so you can be help accountable for your actions. So in other words whoever you are.........rot in hell you piece of shit, and I pray you never have children, and have too endure what me and other parents have had too go thru with these people.
Kayla

Seneca, SC

#671 Jun 6, 2013
Kourtney Hall wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow you did say a mouth full..and then left no name yourself..figures,
My name is Kourtney Hall, not only do I have proof dss in Anderson is corrupt,mindless twits, yet I have complied with them because I was out of state when my children got taken from their father,and noone bothered to let me know anything was going on at all. So I finally get told and I come home for the rescue..so to speak.
Now. I have a long long longgg list of treatment
..even tho the only thing I did wrong was go to VA for 2weeks. So I do stear,which I might add...I absolutely loved..and that's not sarcasm :)
I went to bhs, and because I admitted to trying pot in highschhool..I get classes and classes of drugtreatment. Take note please. Never once failed any kind of drugtest. I jumped through hoops without a snotty remark ..which is surprising for me lol
OK fast foward ..I got my kids back (does a lil dance) and even tho case closed..it never reallyis.
I have a gaint of a 14 year old attack me out of rage. I'm talking 5 foot 9 and 300 pounds,and I took her to the ground..I honestly even kinda giggled when I did it..I was in shock I could take her down lol..I'm 5 foot even and alot smaller. I wasn't mad or angry ..I didn't hit her. She went down the road and guess who showed up?? Police. Yays! Well they did investigation ..and said they don't find anything to be there for. And they leave
Dss comes,takes my, 2 kids and brand new case. Wth? I've got court papers saying that I am the natural father..(looks down,I assure you I'm not the father) And the mothers name..Donna Jo hall..um wrong again. Now..I want y'all to know
I still dont have my kids:( I see them once a month. And my daughter has been raped by four men while in dss care and molested by a Foster uncle in Columbia ..Guerra.cough cough
She has now failed drug tests and missed 130 classes last year. She lit a cigar at dss the other day.
Wth! In their custody they can't do anything.but if it was in mine..there would be hell to pay
My email is real.smurfed.up@Gmail.com
Wow mom.
lpaul

Anderson, SC

#672 Jun 17, 2013
Michelle wrote:
Dss should be held responsible I'm an attorney and I haven't heard of this story but I assure you I'm gona investigate and locate the victims and I will help them build a case against scdss.
DSS took my girlfriends children and mine. I was granted custody of my 2 boys and she has a nine year old and a 2 year old little girl. My exwife and I were getting divorce 3days prior to them taking our children away. She accused us of child abuse which was her 2 nd time. She accused me of kiddnapping my children and other things. She was an addict and I was giving custody three times and the last was final agreement and it was final. Des took our children and gave mine back to her and now I have to pay her 234. A week in child surport. My girlfriends son is with a friend and she can go see her son anytime but her daughter they want let see. I don't understand why one of her children can be with her but the other can't. And I don't understand how I have shown themm so much paper work and court documents that they would take my children who the mother had living with her aunt and 1 was living with her grandparent. My daughter was livining with her and some man. But DSS told me we all have a past. This was 6 months ago she was an addict. Now I have fought to bring my children home and togeather they went over two Judges heads and gave them back to her and I am paying her over a thousand a month to take care of my baby's she never wanted. DSS is wrong
getthefacts

Greenville, SC

#673 Jun 17, 2013
Patrick, seems as though your beef is with the person who made the false allegations, which, when proven can be the cause of criminal charges. But if you feel better by calling me names, have at it. I have thick skin and could not care less what you or even DSS workers think of me. You are correct in stating that, in your case, the false accusations harmed your daughter. Were I you, I would be pursuing a case to have this person charged criminally. Or you can vent on a message board. Might make you feel better, but won't stop that person from making additional false charges.
kimmygirl89

Charlotte, NC

#674 Jun 19, 2013
mom in simpsonville wrote:
Update - Now I can barely speak to my daughter becuase her father stated that when I speak to her, I upset her. So DSS told me that when I call I can not speak to her about seeing her or anything to do with DSS and her counseling and that I can text.

Hi, I need advise please someone help. A story I need to tell. If someone is on here now please respond. So that I can let you know what my situation is with dss..Thank you all so much :(
dianna peterman

Fayetteville, NC

#675 Jun 22, 2013
my story says it is from lucama nc but i am in Caldwell county nc please make the correction

Since: Jun 13

Fayetteville, NC

#676 Jun 22, 2013
Dianna Peterman wrote:
I am a victim of Caldwell County DSS and am here to tell my story.
My daughter was taken by DSS and had no right or proof. I have legal documentation to prove on the day they got a report (truth or not) and proceeding to this day my daughter is safe than why cant I have her home. I should not have to wait until Monday to get my daughter home. I am as of friday August 24, 2012 civil case to Caldwell county DSS. and need support from all of you who have been wronged by the department yourselves. put a editoral in the newspaper whatever to have your stories told that they do not stand to their agreements promised. thank you in your concern and caring support. dianna peterman
June 22, 2013 My case is pending a rehearing en banc in the united states court of appeals forth circuit and if denied my daughter home and justice served upon all involved including a chief judge doing federal time, I and my daughters case is filing a petition into the United States Supreme Court, yes in Washington, DC thank you for all of your prayers and support
Vicky crittendon

Loudon, TN

#677 Jun 23, 2013
I'm a mother of 4 Children DSS in walhalla South Carolina took my children many years ago in the earily 1990's I was never proven unfit I was lost for many years with out them devasated . I got one child back which was the oldest my son at age 12 he had been abused molested 13 times no schooling already using drugs . I've worked very hard to help him and still do today they destroyed my children. He will be 30 this year and still needs me to help in his life my girls still struggal with angry . DSS took my choices . And now they blame me I love each and everyone with all my heart just wish things would have been better for my babies. I hope God has a special place in hell for the two females that destroy mine and my children's life . The state should pay for all there damages. Grieving Mother

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Carolina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ku Klux Klan hands out candy in South Carolina 6 hr Lawrence Wolf 146
SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Sun GOLDSTONE REPORT 1,149
Perry says GOP Congress is key to solving problems Aug 28 fyi 4
Rabbi Shmuley Boteach: Tiger's Courageous Confe... (Feb '10) Aug 26 boteach banksters 2
DRUG DEALERS; Who are the Drug Dealers in South... (Jul '07) Aug 25 Kuku 45
HistoryMakers oral history archive more than ha... Aug 22 paddyomalley 1
Perry Drops 'Vulture Capitalism' from Speech (Jan '12) Aug 18 Swedenforever 13
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

South Carolina People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••