Inmate Beaten to Death in Orangeburg ...

Inmate Beaten to Death in Orangeburg Jail

There are 47 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Mar 5, 2008, titled Inmate Beaten to Death in Orangeburg Jail. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division agents are investigating the beating death of a Bowman man in an Orangeburg jail.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Huh

Winnsboro, SC

#2 Mar 5, 2008
detective101 wrote:
I feel sorry for the Herndon family but have no remorse for the death of Heyward. What goes around comes around. Carma bit him in his @ss.
What did he do for you to feel this way about him.
detective101

United States

#3 Mar 5, 2008
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>What did he do for you to feel this way about him.
It's a long story and theres not enough time or space here to explain
SOME_1

United States

#4 Mar 5, 2008
Somebody really needs to check into orangeburg county system. it seems as though a lot of covering up is being done on that case. the guilty will always tell on themselves! give it time family and friends, the truth lies behind the jail house bars! They will talk soon enough.
Cant leave now

Columbia, SC

#5 Mar 5, 2008
I can't believe in all the press on this that no one is saying anything about the person who did this to him!!
If this happened in the street, everyones name would be in the paper.
What is the big secret!!!
iamwhoiam

Mooresville, NC

#6 Mar 5, 2008
It should be a law that in order to be a police officer, or jailer one should have to spend the weekend in a jail themselves. Not all people in jail are bad people they have just done something bad and must serve the time. Maybe this way jailers will not be so quick to judge seeing how they have had this experience themselves! What ever happened to the thinking that you are INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY? Nowdays, its the opposite!
POLICE OFFICER

Florence, SC

#7 Mar 5, 2008
hey i wonder if the correctional officer's were BLACK OR WHITE.You know every body is on this racial crap. so why stop here.
duh

Columbia, SC

#8 Mar 5, 2008
iamwhoiam wrote:
It should be a law that in order to be a police officer, or jailer one should have to spend the weekend in a jail themselves.
Yeah, and I guess lunchladies should have to eat their own food, too. A jail is NOT the freaking Holiday Inn, nor should the "guests" be treated as such.
Justice

AOL

#9 Mar 5, 2008
POLICE OFFICER wrote:
hey i wonder if the correctional officer's were BLACK OR WHITE.You know every body is on this racial crap. so why stop here.
Lmao, you using the name "police officer" is as close as you'll ever come to being one. You low-life racist.

Besides, who said the person or persons that beat this guy was correctional officers. Prayers to this gentleman family.
Yap Yap

Columbia, SC

#10 Mar 5, 2008
The picture of ole Heyward Herndon
in the article shows he already had a swole up eye...
Jessica

United States

#11 Mar 5, 2008
If anyone knows more details about why he was in jail - please share. I would like to know...
Huh

Winnsboro, SC

#12 Mar 5, 2008
detective101 wrote:
<quoted text> It's a long story and theres not enough time or space here to explain
That bad, huh?
detective101

United States

#13 Mar 5, 2008
He choked a family member
JDidGirl

Columbia, SC

#14 Mar 5, 2008
Did anyone think that maybe this beating was inflicted by another inmate? The story doesn't give a whole lot of information so it could be anything at this point. Or... maybe this person was be combative and they had to use force? A lot of scenarios could have happened. Why not wait for all of the information before we go screaming about race issues or how bad law enforcement is. Honestly, it could have been his own fault.
detective101

United States

#15 Mar 5, 2008
He was beaten by another inmate in a holding cell.He was being held until a bed became available at a detox center. He probably ran his mouth to much to the wrong cellmate. The cellmate was black.
Cant leave now

Columbia, SC

#16 Mar 5, 2008
I always assumed it was an inmate!
I heard from a family member that every bone in his face was broken, it was a severe beating of the head.
PPLEASSE

West Columbia, SC

#17 Mar 5, 2008
iamwhoiam wrote:
It should be a law that in order to be a police officer, or jailer one should have to spend the weekend in a jail themselves. Not all people in jail are bad people they have just done something bad and must serve the time. Maybe this way jailers will not be so quick to judge seeing how they have had this experience themselves! What ever happened to the thinking that you are INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY? Nowdays, its the opposite!
What does your analogy has to do with the man being beat to death by another inmate. Another thing, if they weren't bad why are they in jail? Yes, one time a person was innocent until proven guilty, however, most criminals want credit for what they have done. Therefore, it's not secret who have done what. For general info. it is not to late for them to lock you up so you can sing a different song. You sound like one of my church members.
PPLEASSE

West Columbia, SC

#18 Mar 5, 2008
JDidGirl wrote:
Did anyone think that maybe this beating was inflicted by another inmate? The story doesn't give a whole lot of information so it could be anything at this point. Or... maybe this person was be combative and they had to use force? A lot of scenarios could have happened. Why not wait for all of the information before we go screaming about race issues or how bad law enforcement is. Honestly, it could have been his own fault.
In the orginal story it was an inmate who beat him.
IGOR

United States

#19 Mar 5, 2008
Put a pair of glasses on him and he kinda looks like Jerry Garcia.
IGOR

United States

#20 Mar 5, 2008
PPLEASSE wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like one of my church members.
God heard you say that.
PPLEASSE

West Columbia, SC

#21 Mar 5, 2008
IGOR wrote:
<quoted text>
God heard you say that.
One thing about God, who loves and knows the truth. What sin did I commit?

Another thing, people get on my nerves when they become correctional officers,and precede to tell the rest of us how innocent and humane inmates are. Who were the people that they committeed these crimes against, animals?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Carolina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why the Confederate flag flies in SC 5 min johnplustwomore 2,148
News Mississippi, Tennessee debate future of Confede... Thu Ronald 16
News Perry Drops 'Vulture Capitalism' from Speech (Jan '12) Wed Calgary Anti-Xeno 18
News The Civil War Is Over: Let The Battle Flag Be (Nov '11) Jul 1 sONE 4,026
News Jeb Bush: Confederate flag is 'racist' Jul 1 Go Blue Forever 15
News On lowering the flag Jun 30 Ronald 5
News Why the Confederate flag still flies in South C... Jun 30 Jamal 4
More from around the web