NCAA may expand Confederate flag ban

NCAA may expand Confederate flag ban

There are 2723 comments on the Yahoo News story from Aug 1, 2006, titled NCAA may expand Confederate flag ban. In it, Yahoo News reports that:

Robert Vowels Jr., head of the NCAA's Minority Opportunities and Interest Committee, said his group received a request from the Black Coaches Association about widening the ban.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Yahoo News.

First Prev
of 137
Next Last
Randie Bookout

Auburn Hills, MI

#1 Aug 8, 2006
How can we make people understand. The Confederate Battle flag is the flag of the Confederate Army and it's veteran's not a flag of hate. There is nothing wrong for the former confederate state's honouring those brave men. I am a ggg-grandson of a Confederate veteran and proud of it and everyone north and south should respect these men and women.
South Caro

Summerville, SC

#2 Aug 13, 2006
Perhaps the argument in favour of the battle flag would be best presented by a supporter who is of African descent. There are plenty of Confederate re-enactors that would fit the bill! I've spoken to several in the past that really don't care what flag is flown at the state house....as long as it's Old Glory at the top!
Doug

Mount Pleasant, SC

#3 Aug 14, 2006
It seems to me this has been in effect for sometime and it don't seem to be accomplishing anything.
South Caro

Summerville, SC

#4 Aug 23, 2006
I'm really surprised that there are not more opinions here! Maybe it is passe'!
Mixed American

El Dorado Hills, CA

#6 Aug 23, 2006
South Caro wrote:
Perhaps the argument in favour of the battle flag would be best presented by a supporter who is of African descent. There are plenty of Confederate re-enactors that would fit the bill! I've spoken to several in the past that really don't care what flag is flown at the state house....as long as it's Old Glory at the top!
Well, since all humans originated in Africa I guess we can all comment. Leave the flag alone. Most who fought in the war didn't fight for slavery but state rights. For those who want to use it as a racial divider, screw em.
angelswalk

West Columbia, SC

#7 Aug 23, 2006
Racism has nothing to do with this flag. It is hatred in the hearts of our brothers and sisters of all nationalities that keeps the hatred and fight going. I believe more christians should read the new testament and learn about the love that Jesus was trying to teach. If you are truly christian you dont have hate.
angelswalk

West Columbia, SC

#10 Aug 24, 2006
See? There's that hatred for someone else's opinion. Why is it people have to throw insults and name calling like children who have been taught no better? People hear what they want to hear. If you want to make it about racism then keep on hating. But guess what? While you hate me, I'll love you. Thats just who I am. You don't hear me crying because I dont get any thing for free! Do you? Love on, Max and Jean, love on. You proved the point much better than I could have. While you are out fighting against the flag, I will be fighting important issues; like child abuse, spousal abuse, corruption, sexual predators; people who are so angry inside themselves that they cant stand the thought of others being happy or safe. Doesnt it make us ashamed that we fight petty issues and not those which are so detrimental to our society? Instead of moaning about a piece of cloth that means something to some, why dont you stand up to the man who smacks or punches his woman and thinks that makes him a man to be admired? Why dont you visit a child who has been victimized by an adult? While you are there, why don't you just try to wipe away the trauma they will live with? Oh and by the way, just for the RECORD. I have no admiration or sympathy for the "good ole boy' system. The good ol boy system is not welcome in the society I want to live in. The good ol boy system is what has to go, not the flag. God bless and have a wonderful day.
markl5

Chesterfield, MO

#12 Aug 24, 2006
My beloved State of Florida just ok'd a Confederate flag custom licence plate.

Oh, goodie!

Pardon me but I cannot help but remember seeing pictures of the Klan riding with the Confederate flag. Heratage? Yes, that is a convienient arguement but one might say that the Klan has a heratage of hate attached to it. Well, so does the German Nazi movement, but I do not see where the flying of the Nazi flag is condoned by the German government.

Its not the same thing you say?

Nazis killed Jews.
Klansmen killed Blacks.
Both over the issue of white/arian supremacy.

Now if all the rightous confederate flag loving white people all get together and outwardly condemn the Klan, I will be the first black guy to buy a confederate flag and fly it over my house.

Think that's gonna happen?

Hey, maybe the flag got lumped into a bad PR campaign when the Klan decided to keep the flag as a symbol. Maybe this is all a big misunderstanding. But I do seem to recall that black men fought AGAINST the Confederate States of America, while other black men were enslaved there. That means that the Confederate States of America sponsored, endorsed, and WANTED slavery.

The symbol of that sponsorship, endorcement and preference still exists, and the blood of my ancestors soaked the ground of the South under that flag.

To those who love that flag, look at it this way. That was not your fight. To say that it is now, means you stand for the same thing that those who fought under it did. Do you really wish to make that statement? How can you feel that all Americans are equal when you do?
angelswalk

West Columbia, SC

#13 Aug 24, 2006
Who made this about christianity? My statement was if more people knew the new testament they would show more love. I do care, but for the sake of argument, I could care less if you are black, white, christiam, muslim, jew, doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is how I am treated. In my opinion, slavery was just replaced by welfare. If more people knew how to treat each other better, this wouldnt even be an issue. I am offended by people who are treated well now, acting like they aren't treated well and focusing on a flag which has already been moved, and trying to cost our state profits, the state I assume they live in.
EQUALITY

Apo, AP

#14 Aug 24, 2006
MarkL - Get over it already. Black people need to stop living in the past and look to the future. Poor, poor people boohoo. You were slaves, mistreated, ok so were lots of other races in the past. If you paid more attention to history you would know that. You guys are the only ones trying to milk it for more than it is worth and others are getting tired of it. Get on with your culture and make it better. The flag is a flag and nothing else. People make it more than that.
Jerry Shamrock

Joanna, SC

#15 Aug 24, 2006
Please read the statement at the top and stop your never ending whining about the races. We're Different races- so- we're supposed to be different from each other-DUH.
Now to the true subject++ The Black coaches Association has a thing against the state of SC about race and have used the state as a whipping boy for a long time.If they ever get over THIER whining, SC may just win a national championship in some sport, until then they just continue to hurt black athletes with thier silly views about a simple 4X6 flag.
South Caro

Summerville, SC

#16 Aug 24, 2006
Molly wrote:
About the flag - which is where we started - leave it down. If that's a memory you want to honor, put it up in your yard. Like many other things you believe in that others don't, just don't foist it on everyone.
<quoted text>
Gee Molly. Couldn't the same be said about any flag? The American flag? Aren't all flags that are publicly displayed kind of "foisted" on us? We wouldn't want to "foist" old Glory on anyone. As for the Confederate Battle Flag, doesn't the state have a rich history that people from all over the world come here to see and learn from? Maybe we need to raze the old slave market and all those plantaions in Charleston before our history is "foisted" on one of those thousands of tourists. We should take down all our historical markers in the state too, before they are "foisted" upon travelers on our roadways. Let's burn all the history books that mention slavery. After all, slavery was an ugly distastful thing that makes us feel icky and there is no sense in "foisting" all that history on anyone who doesn't believe in it, is there? I have a solution. Since you want to pretend that millions of slaves never existed, and that 10's of thousands of Americans never died fighting in a civil war on our very soil, why don't you do your part and sponsor a book burning in your yard. It can be limited to history books that you choose! You can invite a group of like-thinking friends and neighbors and serve cocktails. Then you can feel really superior as your friends give you many pats on the back for your effort to stamp out history that you don't "believe" in. Kind of Nazi-istic isn't it? Many things that people believe in are foisted on us every day. The way people treat us are evidence of things they believe in. You can't avoid it. Rules and laws began with things people believed in, then they were "foisted" on the rest of us. There. WHEW! Next?
ken m

Charleston, SC

#17 Aug 24, 2006
Not that anyone cares but most of those slaves were brought here under the Stars and Stripes.. So why isn't there an outcry to take it down and get a new flag? And just for your general knowledge. Slavery was NOT outlawed in some Northern States untill AFTER the civil war was over, Which means that after the war slavery was still legal under the stars and stripes.. LOOK it up..Dont just take my word for it..
markl5

Chesterfield, MO

#18 Aug 25, 2006
Well Ken, I guess its the lesser of two evils. As I pointed out the Klan rides under the stars and bars, not the stars and stripes. Black men have faught under the stars and stripes since Crispus Attucks died for the US during the Revolution. The constitution says "All men are created equal." Though black men were enslaved at the time that was written, the words of our constitution paved the way for change and eventually, slavery was abolished. If those words did not exist, the impudus would not have existed as well. Our flag and our constitution as well, stand for change.

There is nothing progressive about the Confederate flag.
Oswald

Columbia, SC

#20 Aug 25, 2006
ken m wrote:
Not that anyone cares but most of those slaves were brought here under the Stars and Stripes.. So why isn't there an outcry to take it down and get a new flag? And just for your general knowledge. Slavery was NOT outlawed in some Northern States untill AFTER the civil war was over, Which means that after the war slavery was still legal under the stars and stripes.. LOOK it up..Dont just take my word for it..
Most of the slaves that were bought here were sold to European slave traders by Africans - should we ban anyone from flying flags from the various African nations that sold the slaves?
barbara

United States

#21 Aug 25, 2006
Randie Bookout wrote:
How can we make people understand. The Confederate Battle flag is the flag of the Confederate Army and it's veteran's not a flag of hate. There is nothing wrong for the former confederate state's honouring those brave men. I am a ggg-grandson of a Confederate veteran and proud of it and everyone north and south should respect these men and women.
it is absolutely of battle flag to those who know - but you got these white folks running around here thinking its the "flag of hate" and thats what they want the flag to represent and thats what they think the flag represents - so just stop everything and GET RID OF IT. we got the US Flag and the SC Flag. Build a museum funded by those who want it displayed and keep it off public government grounds.
South Caro

Summerville, SC

#22 Aug 25, 2006
MarkL wrote:
Well Ken, I guess its the lesser of two evils. As I pointed out the Klan rides under the stars and bars, not the stars and stripes. Black men have faught under the stars and stripes since Crispus Attucks died for the US during the Revolution. The constitution says "All men are created equal." Though black men were enslaved at the time that was written, the words of our constitution paved the way for change and eventually, slavery was abolished. If those words did not exist, the impudus would not have existed as well. Our flag and our constitution as well, stand for change.
There is nothing progressive about the Confederate flag.
Black Americans fought on both sides of the Civil war.
South Caro

Summerville, SC

#23 Aug 25, 2006
barbara wrote:
<quoted text>
it is absolutely of battle flag to those who know - but you got these white folks running around here thinking its the "flag of hate" and thats what they want the flag to represent and thats what they think the flag represents - so just stop everything and GET RID OF IT. we got the US Flag and the SC Flag. Build a museum funded by those who want it displayed and keep it off public government grounds.
Barbara - It's already on display in a museum. Also, I am not a big fan of the flag, but didn't we vote on a referendum and we South Carolinians voted for it to stay on the Statehouse grounds?
YOUME

Jacksonville, FL

#24 Aug 25, 2006
Not sure, Oswald. Do you think we should ask the slaves that were brought here, OR the European slave traders, OR the Africans who sold them? I guess we can't ask them because they are ALL DEAD NOW. Everyone should be angry with those before us for screwing everything up. The issues that are tearing us apart today are a result of people who are dead. We need to revise and rewrite the books for the living and make things better for the generations to come. No one wants to keep hearing about the past. We can all agree that it was not handled appropriately for all parties involved. That flag does not mean a damn thing to me. We should care about people not material things.
South Caro

Summerville, SC

#25 Aug 26, 2006
YOUME wrote:
Not sure, Oswald. Do you think we should ask the slaves that were brought here, OR the European slave traders, OR the Africans who sold them? I guess we can't ask them because they are ALL DEAD NOW. Everyone should be angry with those before us for screwing everything up. The issues that are tearing us apart today are a result of people who are dead. We need to revise and rewrite the books for the living and make things better for the generations to come. No one wants to keep hearing about the past. We can all agree that it was not handled appropriately for all parties involved. That flag does not mean a damn thing to me. We should care about people not material things.
I think most people feel this way, but we have to learn from the past. The past surrounds us every day. It is what happened yesterday that that guides us today. In the simplest terms, you will likely cook the food today that you bought yesterday. We deal with problems and opportunities today that were created by those dead people yesterday, and so on. The flag doesn't mean much to me either, but it's still here, even after all those slaves and slave traders are gone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 137
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Carolina Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Report: SC workers make less, pay more for bene... Feb 8 BIDAVE54 1
News Monica Lewinsky offered $1MILLION by Las Vegas ... Feb 6 Responsibility 4
News Bill Clinton in South Carolina, stumping for hi... Feb 4 Poon Tang Billy 5
News Mark Sanford settles ex-wife trespassing disput... (May '13) Jan 20 Bushs Criminal Re... 76
News Lindsey Graham Bows Out Dec '15 Rednecks Union me... 5
News South Carolina undervalues its women Dec '15 KEN LANTER 2
News Will: South Carolina will be an important prima... Dec '15 KEN LANTER 3
More from around the web