Discriminatory South Carolina Voter I...

Discriminatory South Carolina Voter ID Law Challenged in Federal Court

There are 17 comments on the www.thenation.com story from Aug 27, 2012, titled Discriminatory South Carolina Voter ID Law Challenged in Federal Court. In it, www.thenation.com reports that:

Starting today, a federal court in DC will hear a week-long trial to decide whether South Carolina’s new voter ID law violates the Voting Rights Act. The Department of Justice objected to the law last December under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act, finding that South Carolina had failed to prove that the measure would not disenfranchise minority voters.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.thenation.com.

Lance Winslow

San Jose, CA

#1 Aug 27, 2012
Chip Campsen III testified that he knew of no instance of voter fraud which would have been remedied by the new law which he helped to write. None.
xnutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Aug 27, 2012
Once again Mr_Bill posts a defense for the rights of the dead to vote.
see the light

United States

#3 Aug 27, 2012
Lance Winslow wrote:
Chip Campsen III testified that he knew of no instance of voter fraud which would have been remedied by the new law which he helped to write. None.
So are you sure that Thousands haven't voted before, and nothing was said?

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#4 Aug 28, 2012
how can it be discriminatory when EVERYONE is held to the same accountability?

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#5 Aug 28, 2012
I hope the ID law is withheld. I wish the Feds would get out of the state's business. This is not China,,,,,yet

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#6 Aug 28, 2012
carey529 wrote:
how can it be discriminatory when EVERYONE is held to the same accountability?
Because it is a false, high cost (to some) phony accountability; to remedy a 'problem' that does not exist.

You could make your same care for a poll tax, or written tests in order to vote.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#7 Aug 28, 2012
Eighthman wrote:
I hope the ID law is withheld. I wish the Feds would get out of the state's business. This is not China,,,,,yet
The right to vote is NOT 'the states' business. But you knew that.

The GOP wants to make our political system more like China, autocratic; even as they export our manufacturing and high-tech jobs to China.
robert

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#8 Aug 28, 2012
It is a law and they are going to court to decide if it is discriminatory or is not but the author calls the law, "The Discriminatory South Carolina Voter ID Law." What is the point in reading the article, the author has already made it clear it is opinionated.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#9 Aug 28, 2012
robert wrote:
It is a law and they are going to court to decide if it is discriminatory or is not but the author calls the law, "The Discriminatory South Carolina Voter ID Law." What is the point in reading the article, the author has already made it clear it is opinionated.
To find out why, and how it is discriminatory.

Many, especially racists, see nothing wrong with hampering poor, black voters from their franchise.

Since: Sep 09

Hollywood, FL

#10 Aug 28, 2012
What's wrong with proving who you are to vote?

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#11 Aug 28, 2012
Mi_nina wrote:
What's wrong with proving who you are to vote?
I agree. there should be signature cards at the polling place, to compare signatures.
xnutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#12 Aug 28, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
The right to vote is NOT 'the states' business. But you knew that.
The GOP wants to make our political system more like China, autocratic; even as they export our manufacturing and high-tech jobs to China.
Hey Mr_Bill

Resorting to trolling ?

Topic is S.C. but you bring up jobs to China . Trolling ?

How about the Obamaites trying to stop Boeing bringing a plant to S.C ? Rumor had it that Boeing threathened to open a plant in China if S.C. plant denied.

I'm so impressed by Obamaites sticking up the the near Lilly White workers in Wa.state over the much poorer and abundant black population in S.C.

The Obamaites just want to keep up the 150 YO Dem tradition of the dead voting Dem.We both know that.
xnutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#13 Aug 28, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. there should be signature cards at the polling place, to compare signatures.
That takes a technician plus exspensive machinery plus party monitors. It would take a 2 way comparison , stored signature vs. current signature ,one would have to be previously made , why not simple photo I.D .....?

But Az. does have that for mail-in ballots however they are at centralized facilties.
robert

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 Aug 28, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
To find out why, and how it is discriminatory.
Many, especially racists, see nothing wrong with hampering poor, black voters from their franchise.
my quip was with the article, I hate to see that sort of thing. But don't worry I did not leave myself uninformed, I went to google news and read a article about the challenge posted on the ap.

I probably would not like the fox news slant any more than that one you posted.

Of course there will be nothing wrong with the law according to my ideas about who should vote, mine are clearly discriminatory. I don't believe stupid people should be allowed to vote and I am sure they would not like a law I wrote. I would not want you voting if your were not a producer and I would not want you voting if you knew everything about every candidate for american idol but nothing about the poltics, taxes, history and the economy.

It is so easy to vote even in the most strict of states if you can't figure it out we don't need your opinion on who runs the country anyway.
see the light

United States

#15 Aug 28, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
The right to vote is NOT 'the states' business. But you knew that.
The GOP wants to make our political system more like China, autocratic; even as they export our manufacturing and high-tech jobs to China.
China doesn't have 12 million illegal Mexicans voting-when they shouldn't.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#16 Aug 28, 2012
xnutmegger wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Mr_Bill
Resorting to trolling ?
Topic is S.C. but you bring up jobs to China . Trolling ?
How about the Obamaites trying to stop Boeing bringing a plant to S.C ? Rumor had it that Boeing threathened to open a plant in China if S.C. plant denied.
I'm so impressed by Obamaites sticking up the the near Lilly White workers in Wa.state over the much poorer and abundant black population in S.C.
The Obamaites just want to keep up the 150 YO Dem tradition of the dead voting Dem.We both know that.
Here (above) is what happens when children respond without knowing what it isa all about. I was responding to eightman, who compared our political sytems to China.

When adults are talking, butt out.
But if you must interject, try to follow, so as not to embarass yourself.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#17 Aug 28, 2012
robert wrote:
<quoted text>
my quip was with the article, I hate to see that sort of thing. But don't worry I did not leave myself uninformed, I went to google news and read a article about the challenge posted on the ap.
I probably would not like the fox news slant any more than that one you posted.
Of course there will be nothing wrong with the law according to my ideas about who should vote, mine are clearly discriminatory. I don't believe stupid people should be allowed to vote and I am sure they would not like a law I wrote. I would not want you voting if your were not a producer and I would not want you voting if you knew everything about every candidate for american idol but nothing about the poltics, taxes, history and the economy.
It is so easy to vote even in the most strict of states if you can't figure it out we don't need your opinion on who runs the country anyway.
I don't like stupid people voyting either; and even less, running for office.

But, as an American, I accept that we all have rights.
And, you forgot the sports nuts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

South Carolina Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mike Huckabee defends South Carolina against ra... (Jun '15) Nov 16 Geezer Files 101
News Mark Sanford settles ex-wife trespassing disput... (May '13) Nov '16 Ashley Duprees Bl... 77
News New SCDSS Foster Home Program Is A Disaster Sep '16 Angela 1
News South Carolina passes bill banning abortion aft... (May '16) May '16 Cat74 14
News South Carolina Senate OKs bill to set up refuge... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Cat74 5
News Clinton and Trump: A tale of two Corinthians (Feb '16) Mar '16 WasteWater 24
News Police: 6 dead, 3 injured in 'random' Michigan ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Thirty Percent 21
More from around the web