License needed to braid hair, not for tattoos

Full story: The Morning Call

New legislation signed this week by Gov. Ed Rendell requires licenses for mortgage brokers.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Dec 3, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rock You Out

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Very Good Paul. Just remember those 99% of foul mouthed people didn't really understand your first story. They just took it personally and most likely should eat more fruit and relax.
I have to small tattoos. I read your story. I understood it. And could not complain. There were probably alot of people that had tattoos that read it and just let it go.
At first when people were commenting it wasn't too bad....but then it started getting repetitive and people starting turning into sheep.....I was starting to read what cities they were coming from because I swear it was one person just changing their name.
And I bet the majority of those people crying about you hating them for tattoos are probably being "reverent" witht he Dali Lama right now. It's funny how people put on a show for others. It takes time for peopel to learn who they are be happy with that. Just let it go. Live your life and just smile at the people that are living their lives for others.

A 28 year old Vikette from Allentown (born and raised)
wal mart ATC

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

I don't see the difference between the government telling me I need to wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle and the government telling me which tattoo artist I can use. Both are public safety issues, but Paul seems to have conflicting stances on these issues. I wish he would take the time to reconcile his random thoughts and beliefs before writing his next column.
no gnus

Nazareth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Judged:

Tatoos and body piecings are a stupid fad. Most people will grow tired of them at some point in thier lives. Unfortunately, unlike other stupid fads(platform shoes, swallowing goldfish etc) the current trend will leave you with a permannet reminder of your stupidity. Tatoos are trashy, but as an American, I respect your right to look like crap.
Rock You Out

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Judged:

no gnus wrote:
Tatoos and body piecings are a stupid fad. Most people will grow tired of them at some point in thier lives. Unfortunately, unlike other stupid fads(platform shoes, swallowing goldfish etc) the current trend will leave you with a permannet reminder of your stupidity. Tatoos are trashy, but as an American, I respect your right to look like crap.
Well said. Styles come and go. Do you hear the elderly complaining. They probably think we are silly...but then again....they aren't stressed out and just accept people for who they are. Just sit back and laugh. That's all.

“Allergic to stupid people”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

The sad thing is the legitimate tattoo parlors want to be licensed, they want that piece of paper to put on their wall to distinguish them from the "back alley" group. Problem is every time the licensing issue goes to legislation, it gets shot down for one reason or another.
jimpr

Owatonna, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Speaking of stupid fads that come and go, does anyone remember that one from the seventies? You know the one where people actually wore mustaches. Man that was one crazy bunch of coked out disco loving freaks pulling that one off. I mean think of it, imagine walking down the street today and seeing some guy with a mustache! You'd be like, "hey John Holmes? where is KC playin?" I mean what a bunch of maroons those people were. Well thank god that ones over, I mean cops don't even do it anymore because they now how stupid it looks. Well, I got to get back to work now. For you see I work for a living, in fact I work for an international renown manufacturing company that hired me with Dreadlocks and Tattoos, based strictly on my abiltiy and not some stereotype of how I looked. Amazing!...forward thinking positive open minded people running business's in America land of the free.
PS- Mr. Carpenter, I believe the Taliban is re-establsihing a foothold in Afghanistan and will be looking for people of your narrow minded caliber....please do apply good sir.
hal

Walnutport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Not all tattoed people are dirtballs, but all dirtballs are tattooed.
KJP

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

Perhaps PA should take the lead from NYC here. We have a thriving body art community here and studios are licensed by the state and are subject to inspection by the dept. of health. Same goes for piercers and other body modification professionals, including plastic surgeons. That industry welcomes it because it weeds out the chaff from the wheat as it were and protects the community from biased accusations of spreading disease that are based on conjecture, not facts. The report you're citing has been blasted by the AMA for their faulty methodology and free wheeling manipulation of data.
That said, there IS a risk associated with any procedure that breaks the skin from ear piercing to tattoos to surgery and its only common sense to make sure that the instruments are sterile.
One last point, since you claim to have ink, are you a tattoo freak too, just like the rest of us?
Tat Boy

Easton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

jimpr wrote:
For you see I work for a living, in fact I work for an international renown manufacturing company that hired me with Dreadlocks and Tattoos, based strictly on my abiltiy and not some stereotype of how I looked. Amazing!...forward thinking positive open minded people running business's in America land of the free.
I highly doubt though you have a visible position in your company. dreadlocks are great on black Rasta dudes, but on white boys they equal dirty (actually filthy) hair. I have tattoos too but I have the good sense to get them where they can be covered up to appear professional.
fed up

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2008

can somebody PLEASE tell Paul to drop this issue?? you can't tell me that there's nothing else better to talk about. Oh, that's right. He knows that people are upset with him and he's doing this for attention and more people buying this low class paper. In the end, he's just sitting back with a HUGE smile..... And, no, I do not have any tattoos.
Next

Greenville, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2008

I know the more I am insulted, the more papers I want to buy!
amanda

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2008

fed up wrote:
can somebody PLEASE tell Paul to drop this issue?? you can't tell me that there's nothing else better to talk about. Oh, that's right. He knows that people are upset with him and he's doing this for attention and more people buying this low class paper. In the end, he's just sitting back with a HUGE smile..... And, no, I do not have any tattoos.
So why are you letting it bother you so much? He is surely winning the battle if your panties are getting so bunched up. Calm down and don't read the column if you are so annoyed.
Opus

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2008

I don't know what to do .
I went out for a hamburger, they talked me into a hot dog and told me I'd like it.
Well I got home opened it up and I cannot eat the thing.
It's long , skinny and has alittle hole in the end. It looks way too much like a sex toy.
I'm going to taco bell and see if I can pay my phone bill while I'm there.
anybody want my one eyed dragon sandwich?
Kaitie

Dartmouth, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2008

What I don't understand about this column is that Mr. Carpenter uses these (faulty) statistics to seemingly justify his outrageous and unsubstantiated accusations a few weeks past. What is confusing is that Mr. Carpenter views this as legitimate.
The people that are not passing these regulating laws are the very "high" society he praised just weeks ago (Assuming, of course, that there are classes of people more worthy of culture than others...high culture versus low "freaks"). They refuse to pas legislation to weed the corrupt (and there has never been corruption in any other field of American life *sarcasm*) from the legitimate. How is that a mark aganist people who wish to wear art on their body (whether "good" or not)? Wouldn't this article be more derogatory against the very conservative, tattoo-free, suit wielding men Mr. Carpenter himself tries to emulate?
Big Brown

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2008

Carpenter should add "ignorant" to his list of words describing tattooed people. If you have them, how can you not agree with this article. I know I would want to go to a parlor where a license was required. How can you possibly argue against that?
Then again, I guess all you "tough guys" aren't afraid of some stupid disease like Hepatitus.

Unbelievable.
Big Brown

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2008

no gnus wrote:
Well said. Sheep following sheep.
PA man

Canonsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

I think the idea of licensure for braiding is completely used as a tool for PA to gain extra money... Think about it... how much do they charge for the test and the extra licensure fee for all of this.... And the idea is that this licensure PROTECTS the braiders from getting fined,,, that makes sense... Now, say you have a real profession like a doctor or lawyer....yes, you are dealing with peoples lives and their future (not their hair).... thus require licensure.... idiots
Joe NYC

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

no gnus wrote:
a simple question.... how can something be a fad that been around for over 100 years? plarform shoes don't date back to the 1840's. disco wasn't around in world war 2. but tattoos were. i always chuckle when i hear someone say tattoos are a fad. thats either a bad stab at irony or announcing how much you don't know about what you're opening your mouth about.
ivory dove

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

If you're not sure you want the tattoo for life, would you use a magic
marker?
walt

Nazareth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2008

Joe NYC wrote:
<quoted text>
a simple question.... how can something be a fad that been around for over 100 years? plarform shoes don't date back to the 1840's. disco wasn't around in world war 2. but tattoos were. i always chuckle when i hear someone say tattoos are a fad. thats either a bad stab at irony or announcing how much you don't know about what you're opening your mouth about.
Stupid response, you have no life experience. Tatoos have been around for years, true, but only a select group had them during the last 200 years. That group was predominently miliatry MEN and MALE prisoners. Now every ding bat who blindly follows the crowd has a tatoo.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Pennsylvania Forum right now

Search the Pennsylvania Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Are teachers asking for too much in taxes in th... (Mar '12) 4 hr PA FamilyFirst 1,309
WEEU puke (Jan '11) Mon Toothy Talker 1,090
Should teacher pensions be grandfathered? (Jun '11) Mon Sturla the Issue 220
Adams County Court: Man pleads guilty in burgla... Jul 25 Davenport 1
More than 500 migrant kids sent to Pennsylvania Jul 24 rex remes 4
Brett and Dylan lahr Jul 24 kylekyleisadumbass 7
Salvation Army giving slower this year (Dec '13) Jul 24 CaCat 24
•••
•••