Group works for right to refuse servi...

Group works for right to refuse service for same-sex weddings

There are 140 comments on the KVAL-TV Eugene story from Nov 23, 2013, titled Group works for right to refuse service for same-sex weddings. In it, KVAL-TV Eugene reports that:

Aaron and Melissa Klein, owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, talk to the media on Monday, Sept.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KVAL-TV Eugene.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Since: May 12

Livonia, MI

#1 Nov 23, 2013
Just for clarification - if this does get on the ballot and does pass, does that mean that I can discriminate against whomever I fond offensive? So I tell Christians to go somewhere else?

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#2 Nov 23, 2013
Just swap "interracial marriage" for same sex marriage and see how it flies.
david traversa

Catamarca, Argentina

#3 Nov 23, 2013
All in the name of Christ , I suppose .. These people will never forgive gays for their recent triumphs and must fall back on absurdities and the supernatural ; for the natural and the intelligent will never be on their side . They just make themselves ridiculous in their own country and in the eyes of all civilized nations . The waste of time ! But I don't think they have the capacity for much else ..

“TO HATE SOMEONE SIMPLY FOR WHO”

Since: Aug 08

THEY ARE IS WRONG!!!

#4 Nov 23, 2013
Funny how their lawyer says they just want to peaceably co-exist, but guaranteed if this should make it on the ballot and pass......NO PEACE WILL EVER EXIST and the new law will be challenged immediately......this is NOTHING more than sanctioned DISCRIMINATION by the Evangelistic Fundamentalists!!!!

And if they can discriminate legally......you better believe who else will fall into this category besides just Gays and Lesbians!!!

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#5 Nov 23, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
Funny how their lawyer says they just want to peaceably co-exist, but guaranteed if this should make it on the ballot and pass......NO PEACE WILL EVER EXIST and the new law will be challenged immediately......this is NOTHING more than sanctioned DISCRIMINATION by the Evangelistic Fundamentalists!!!!
And if they can discriminate legally......you better believe who else will fall into this category besides just Gays and Lesbians!!!
DEMOCRATS, hopefully !

:)
Rick not in Kansas yet

Salina, KS

#6 Nov 23, 2013
Here's the text of it:

Be It Enacted by the People of the State of Oregon:

SECTION 1. This 2014 Initiative shall be known as the Protect Religious Freedom Initiative and is intended to exempt a person from supporting same-sex ceremonies in violation of deeply held religious beliefs.

SECTION 2. Religious freedom is the first freedom guaranteed by the United States Constitution. It is a fundamental human right and is the right to express, think and act upon what you deeply believe. Religious freedom upholds stability in a diverse society. Wherever religious freedom is high, there is better health, more economic prosperity, lower income inequality and sustained democracy. Religious freedom protects the rights of all individuals and groups, whether religious or not. Unfortunately, there are groups pushing the view that religion is purely a private matter and that religious voices or opinions should be silenced. Religion is more than just private worship. It involves public expression on moral and social issues. Religious freedom, our first freedom, needs protection as this Initiative intends to do.

SECTION 3.(1) As used in this section:

(a)“Person” includes individuals, sole proprietorships, nonprofits, corporations, associations, firms, partnerships, limited liability companies, or other legal entities defined in ORS 174.100(5).

(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if doing so would violate a person’s deeply held religious beliefs, a person acting in a nongovernmental capacity may not be:

(a) Penalized by the state or a political subdivision of this state for declining to solemnize, celebrate, participate in, facilitate, or support any same-sex marriage ceremony or its arrangements, same-sex civil union ceremony or its arrangements, or same-sex domestic partnership ceremony or its arrangements; or

(b) Subject to a civil action for declining to solemnize, celebrate, participate in, facilitate, or support any same-sex marriage ceremony or its arrangements, same-sex civil union ceremony or its arrangements, or same-sex domestic partnership ceremony or its arrangements.

(3) This section must be construed in favor of the broad protection of religious exercise to the maximum extent permitted by the Oregon Constitution and the United States Constitution.

Wow.
Rick not in Kansas yet

Salina, KS

#7 Nov 23, 2013
WWJD?

I love the whole do unto others, but don't you dare think you can do unto me feel to it. That is what He taught, isn't it?

There is so much wrong with that mean-spirited piece of work, it's tough to know where to begin. But Lord knows, they're likely to get their signatures.

I got it from the Oregon Family Council's website. I had to hunt for it. Their home page is taken up by a reminder that the deadline for tax deductible donations in 2013 is December 31st.




Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#8 Nov 23, 2013
The Oregon Family Council obviously never heard of the lunch counter sit-ins of the mid-sixties
.
They're just repeating the KKK playbook; changing the name of their victim
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

#9 Nov 23, 2013
They are being asked to prepare a cake for a pair of customers. They are NOT being asked to join in the ceremony, officiate,bless or approve of gay marriage. They are idiots...ALL of them.

I will accept this "deeply held religious beliefs" argument as valid as soon as they also agree that they will not prepare cakes or supply services to liars, adulterers, thieves murderers, those who are rude to their parents, those who worship graven images and those who don't put their god ahead of all the there gods. These are, I believe, some of their deeply held religious beliefs. Or so they claim.

And since their DHRBs regarding gays are stemming from Leviticus, they can't provide services to daughters not already sold into slavery, people wearing mixed fibers, women experiencing their periods and all the rest of the abominations listed in that abomination of biblical chapter.

And while we're in Leviticus, let's also include everyone who did not kill a bull or ox or calf for each church gathering during the year as prescribed so eloquently in that same book.

Let's see how far their business grows when they are forbidden by their own DHRBs from serving any single human in the world, including, I can confidently say, themselves.
david traversa

Catamarca, Argentina

#10 Nov 23, 2013
Trying to find a legally sanctioned excuse to do their dirty work , that's all it amounts to .. It was already tried with slavery , mixed marriages , women's rights and xenophobia ; and all because " God says .. " It should really say : " A group of ignorant , primitive goatherds said " - for that is all it amounts to .

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#11 Nov 24, 2013
Rick not in Kansas yet wrote:
Here's the text of it:
Be It Enacted by the People of the State of Oregon:
SECTION 1. This 2014 Initiative shall be known as the Protect Religious Freedom Initiative and is intended to exempt a person from supporting same-sex ceremonies in violation of deeply held religious beliefs.
SECTION 2. Religious freedom is the first freedom guaranteed by the United States Constitution. It is a fundamental human right and is the right to express, think and act upon what you deeply believe. Religious freedom upholds stability in a diverse society. Wherever religious freedom is high, there is better health, more economic prosperity, lower income inequality and sustained democracy. Religious freedom protects the rights of all individuals and groups, whether religious or not. Unfortunately, there are groups pushing the view that religion is purely a private matter and that religious voices or opinions should be silenced. Religion is more than just private worship. It involves public expression on moral and social issues. Religious freedom, our first freedom, needs protection as this Initiative intends to do.
SECTION 3.(1) As used in this section:
(a)“Person” includes individuals, sole proprietorships, nonprofits, corporations, associations, firms, partnerships, limited liability companies, or other legal entities defined in ORS 174.100(5).
(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if doing so would violate a person’s deeply held religious beliefs, a person acting in a nongovernmental capacity may not be:
(a) Penalized by the state or a political subdivision of this state for declining to solemnize, celebrate, participate in, facilitate, or support any same-sex marriage ceremony or its arrangements, same-sex civil union ceremony or its arrangements, or same-sex domestic partnership ceremony or its arrangements; or
(b) Subject to a civil action for declining to solemnize, celebrate, participate in, facilitate, or support any same-sex marriage ceremony or its arrangements, same-sex civil union ceremony or its arrangements, or same-sex domestic partnership ceremony or its arrangements.
(3) This section must be construed in favor of the broad protection of religious exercise to the maximum extent permitted by the Oregon Constitution and the United States Constitution.
Wow.
HOLY CRAP !!!

That text shoehorns-in a hell of a LOT MORE than just a religious exemption!

This initiative is POISON on LOTS of levels!

We really have to help fight this trojan.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#12 Nov 24, 2013
While trying to carve out a religious exception in the state's non-discrimination laws, they actually discriminate against other beliefs by only granting the exception for one particular set of beliefs.

Don't those with 'deeply held religious beliefs' against....

inter-racial marriage....
inter-faith marriage....
[insert your religious exception here]....

get to discriminate against those they object to?

There is this:
SECTION 3.(3) This section must be construed in favor of the broad protection of religious exercise to the maximum extent permitted by the Oregon Constitution and the United States Constitution.

Maybe with this section I would be able to apply my discrimination against those which I have a 'deeply held religious belief'.... bigots and homophobes.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#13 Nov 24, 2013
"SECTION 1. This 2014 Initiative shall be known as the Protect Religious Freedom Initiative and is intended to exempt a person from supporting same-sex ceremonies in violation of deeply held religious beliefs."

Amazing.

It ONLY targets people who wish to discriminate against gay people based on religious belief, but NO OTHER GROUP.

They didn't even TRY to pretend this isn't targeted discrimination.

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#14 Nov 24, 2013
So they want to protect the "believers" from having to support marriage ceremonies, but what of the other businesses? What of the real estate agent who would be supporting the gay if they must sell a listing to the new couple? Where is their protection? What of the furniture store, the butcher, the baker, or the candlestick maker, where are their protections?

Clearly this bill does not go far enough, it needs to protect all the bigots against gay people. Oh the outrage!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#15 Nov 24, 2013
DragonHung wrote:
Just for clarification - if this does get on the ballot and does pass, does that mean that I can discriminate against whomever I fond offensive? So I tell Christians to go somewhere else?
No.

It only allows you to discriminate against same-sex couples.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#16 Nov 24, 2013
I don't see this even getting on the ballot.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#17 Nov 24, 2013
Go ahead and pass it, at the same time make sure you also adjust the legal representation budget, you're going to need it.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#18 Nov 24, 2013
"People of faith don't want to be dragged by the hair to attend ceremonies that violate their deeply held religious beliefs,"

Dragged by the hair? At most, they would need to show up on site to make a delivery. This presumably would be in advance of the event itself. There isn't even exposure by the employees to the event itself. This is foolishness. A business exists to generate a profit. A smart business person would provide their services to anyone capable of paying for said service.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#19 Nov 24, 2013
lides wrote:
"People of faith don't want to be dragged by the hair to attend ceremonies that violate their deeply held religious beliefs,"
Dragged by the hair? At most, they would need to show up on site to make a delivery. This presumably would be in advance of the event itself. There isn't even exposure by the employees to the event itself. This is foolishness. A business exists to generate a profit. A smart business person would provide their services to anyone capable of paying for said service.
That's why the gays should have just found another baker instead of starting all of this BS.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#20 Nov 24, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why the gays should have just found another baker instead of starting all of this BS.
And the blacks should just have found another lunch counter...

How would the religious freaks react if THEY were denied service just because the business owner had a deeply held belief against them?

Would they do as their fairytale says and turn the other cheek? Or would they sue because they were discriminated against?

Yeah, we all know the answer to that one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oregon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Oregon issues final order in gay wedding cake case 10 hr Jon Boy 9
News Publisher's Notebook: When hell breaks loose, w... Jul 26 watchers 1
News US authorities allege Oregon imam assisted radi... Jul 23 goonsquad 13
News European Kindred founder indicted in Oregon (Sep '08) Jul 22 Rob Norman US Arm... 46
News Sex abuse case settlement denied for gay rights... Jul 19 Quest 11
News Sanctuary cities for immigrants pose a threat t... Jul 19 wild child 1
News Hideous Heatwave Coming for Oregon; Coast in 70... Jul 17 Hiner 1
More from around the web