Bullied Gay Oregon Student, 15, Hangs Himself

Jan 31, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

Family members of a gay teen in La Grande, Ore., who tried to hang himself at an elementary school playground, say he was the victim of severe anti-gay bullying, local ABC affiliate KOMO reports.

Comments
1 - 20 of 35 Comments Last updated Feb 1, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Another life lost due to moronic bullies. How many does it take?
JrEsq

El Segundo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

JohnInToronto wrote:
Another life lost due to moronic bullies. How many does it take?
Perhaps the older militant homosexuals should stop encouraging young gay kids to come out early as a Gay Crusader. When the kid gets hurt, or hurts himself, the homosexuals feign indignance, yet dismiss the loss of life as simply a necessity in the advancement of the gay agenda.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

I thought these bullying events were cooling down, the huge media program of "it gets better" and all that. Obviously it has not. I wondered if it was making a difference. I guess it did squat.

It seemed too easy and not effective. Some kid trapped in some small hostile town. If he had held on a couple of years, he might have made it over to Portland, or Seattle, or LA or anywhere else where his differences would have been more acceptable.

I wonder how the bullying kids feel today.
David Traversa

Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

A terrible waste.. Look for the bullies' usual environment, parental examples and the glorification of homophobic sentiments in some quarters and you'll find the culprits..
David Traversa

Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

JrEsq wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the older militant homosexuals should stop encouraging young gay kids to come out early as a Gay Crusader. When the kid gets hurt, or hurts himself, the homosexuals feign indignance, yet dismiss the loss of life as simply a necessity in the advancement of the gay agenda.
And perhaps if you would cooperate by not sending homophobic posts (which might very well be read by the kids) it would help also.. It's quite easy to feign concern and pass the buck but the ultimate responsibility lies with people like you.. A bad conscience will be your guide..

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

JrEsq wrote:
No, we sure don't do that, you insensitive a-hole. What we do instead, is tell you people to stop hammering at these kids that they're "abnormal" and "hated". How the hell do you think it affects a CHILD to have this kind of message thrown at them from everyone around them? STOP slathering your spittle-foaming HATE at CHILDREN!

We're trying to tell these kids that if they can survive through their adolescence, where they are beholden to parental support, and where they sit as a captive audience in schools where other kids parrot your hate, then their lives as free adults will be much better.

These kinds of senseless deaths aren't "necessary" AT ALL, and neither is your relentless pummelling of their vulnerable psyches. We certainly don't "dismiss" these deaths, they are indicators of the ongoing damage that you and your narrow-minded ilk are foisting onto kids who are only trying to find their way in the world, while struggling against your constant message that they're already lost.
Tenorbear

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Jadin Bell's teacher is quoted in the Oregonian as saying that being a gay kid in northeast Oregon is not optimum. You have to develop calluses or find another way to cope. He entirely forgets that his own student just found a 3rd way out - suicide. Jadin is described as happy-go-lucky. He put up a good front while trying to be so lovable that it would disarm his his bullies. Instead, he was so brutalized he couldn't stand another day of it. Parents of GLBT kids - if your kid is bein subjected to bullying pull him/her out and MOVE to a place that is more civilized. Teens can't take the mental, emotional and spiritual violence no matter what kind of face they put on it. It is annihilating.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Tenorbear wrote:
Jadin Bell's teacher is quoted in the Oregonian as saying that being a gay kid in northeast Oregon is not optimum. You have to develop calluses or find another way to cope. He entirely forgets that his own student just found a 3rd way out - suicide. Jadin is described as happy-go-lucky. He put up a good front while trying to be so lovable that it would disarm his his bullies. Instead, he was so brutalized he couldn't stand another day of it. Parents of GLBT kids - if your kid is bein subjected to bullying pull him/her out and MOVE to a place that is more civilized. Teens can't take the mental, emotional and spiritual violence no matter what kind of face they put on it. It is annihilating.
Moving is not an easy choice for many families. It may be prohibitive due to employment, finances, etc. Better that they try to affect change in these pockets of homophobia, rather than allow them to grow and fester, and continue the trend with the next group of kids.
Sgt Common Sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

JrEsq wrote:
<quoted text>
Thatís quite a fantasy land you live in.
Sounds like hell to me though.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

JrEsq wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the irrational prejudice you promote that leads kids to take their own lives, not whether they are in or out of the closet.

"It is important to note that being LGBT is not a risk factor in and of itself; however, the minority stressors that LGBT individual encounter - such as discrimination and harassment - are directly associated with suicidal behavior as well as indirectly with risk factors for suicide." (American Association of Suicidology)
http://www.suicidology.org/c/document_library...

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

The American Psychological Association : "Prejudice and discrimination have social and personal impact." "The widespread prejudice, discrimination, and violence to which lesbians and gay men are often subjected are significant mental health concerns. Sexual prejudice, sexual orientation discrimination, and anti-gay violence are major sources of stress for lesbian, gay, and bisexual people. Although social support is crucial in coping with stress, anti-gay attitudes and discrimination may make it difficult for lesbian, gay, and bisexual people to find such support."
faithman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Tenorbear wrote:
I completely agree! At least home school them. The consequences for not doing so are devastating, not only for the student but for the parents who live the rest of their lives haunted by the thought of what more they could have done.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Curteese wrote:
I thought these bullying events were cooling down, the huge media program of "it gets better" and all that. Obviously it has not. I wondered if it was making a difference. I guess it did squat.
It seemed too easy and not effective. Some kid trapped in some small hostile town. If he had held on a couple of years, he might have made it over to Portland, or Seattle, or LA or anywhere else where his differences would have been more acceptable.
If they are bullies, then I can tell you how they feel. They feel encouraged to continue their bullying. And so long as they are not dealt with in the proper fashion, they will continue doing what they are doing. Case in point is the poster "JrEsq"

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

When laws bully by denial of equality, and religious leaders, some politicians and even some teachers, coaches, and community leaders bully, the other bullies have an excuse. Like those here, they can ignore being gay is a natural expression of being human for a minority of the population, just as some are left handed.

But the prejudice promoted by others, gives bullies encouragement and a target.

"Ideology assailants report that their crimes stem from their negative beliefs and attitudes about homosexuality that they perceive other people in the community share. They see themselves as enforcing social morals." (APA)

Hate crimes against gay people are the highest per person in the U.S. Attacks against gay people are more severe and violent than for other groups according to the FBI.

Prejudice and discrimination cause needless suffering and death.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Curteese wrote:
The bullies feel nothing because they are a bunch of sociopaths incapable of love or remorse.
Jose

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

equalityboy81 wrote:
<quoted text>
The bullies feel nothing because they are a bunch of sociopaths incapable of love or remorse.
Behind these bullies , lurking in the shadows are plenty of politicians, city officials perhaps parents and school officials who support them.

Sociopaths sense this and act.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Prejudice kills.

It gives permission to those who hang our children on fences to die, or shoot them in the back of the head while sitting in the classroom.

It ignores the effects of the Dobsons, Perkins, Phelps, etc.'s constant demeaning and dehumanizing of us that digs deep into too many of our souls, resulting in self-destruction both quick and slow.

It embeds itself deeply into the fabric of our society to keep us the highest per capita victims of hate crimes, youth homelessness, and suicide.

To those who continue to teach prejudice, and also to those who do nothing to oppose it, I'm pleading for the lives of my gay brothers and sisters who are rejected by their friends and families, fired by their employers, denied equal civil rights, refused full membership in their churches, and those who kill themselves, and others who kill us, because of a prejudice not supported by science or reason but only by a few mistranslated bible verses.

It is time to stop dehumanizing, demeaning and discriminating against gay people, and teach tolerance instead. It is time to treat others the way you would treat yourself. The lives of our children as well as many adults depend on it.
Cow Hum

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Moving is not an easy choice for many families. It may be prohibitive due to employment, finances, etc. Better that they try to affect change in these pockets of homophobia, rather than allow them to grow and fester, and continue the trend with the next group of kids.
"Pockets of homophobia?"
How about "Pockets of homosexuality?"
Cow Hum

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Judged:

Jose wrote:
<quoted text>
Behind these bullies , lurking in the shadows are plenty of politicians, city officials perhaps parents and school officials who support them.
Sociopaths sense this and act.
This is exactly why gays need all the support and therapy they can get to help them with their unnatural, immoral, compulsive behaviors.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2013

Cow Hum wrote:
<quoted text>
This is exactly why gays need all the support and therapy they can get to help them with their unnatural, immoral, compulsive behaviors.
But stupid, there is same sex sex in nature, so it's not unnatural.
And an act can only be immoral if a non consenting party is involved.
There is no reason to believe gay people are any more compulsive when it comes to sex than straight people are.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••