Oregon man cited for driving electric...

Oregon man cited for driving electric bike without license

There are 96 comments on the WHDH story from Jun 9, 2011, titled Oregon man cited for driving electric bike without license. In it, WHDH reports that:

When Paul McClain had his driver's license suspended for driving a car without insurance, the 41-year-old Oregon man started riding an electric bicycle instead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHDH.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Parden pard

Whitehall, PA

#1 Jun 9, 2011
They'll use any excuse to suck money out of the public,,,(bastards)....next on for taxation,,Vibrators,,?,," Moms Iron" (Electric Assisted Cloth Flattener)

Since: Jul 07

Vancouver, Canada

#2 Jun 9, 2011
He can always have an option of rollerblading,or just take public transit.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#3 Jun 9, 2011
Parden pard wrote:
They'll use any excuse to suck money out of the public,,,(bastards)....next on for taxation,,Vibrators,,?,," Moms Iron" (Electric Assisted Cloth Flattener)
vibrators too??? OH NO!!!
LOL

all kidding aside, there was a reason why his license was taken from him, driving is driving.
no means no.
bailout my duck

Carol Stream, IL

#4 Jun 9, 2011
gestopo ja
Bryce Sikel

Huntington, NY

#5 Jun 9, 2011
Motor vehicle is motor vehicle. Electric bike has a motor therefor he was driving a motor vehicle. Lock the F'er up!!!!!

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#6 Jun 9, 2011
Wow! Now that's just silly. A license for a bicycle?

Stumbled across this forum and liking the point system and game they have going on over here. Its cute.

“Pompous pontificator”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#7 Jun 9, 2011
Can't believe this has not been decided before this. Yes, LEOs are revenue agents. But electric assisted bikes have been around a long time, and adults and KIDS ride them; are kids with no DL "DIVING"? If they are saying ANY wheeled vehicle with a motor of any kind is a "motor vehicle", then how'bout those small electric powered kid toys that kids 'drive' on the sidewalks and driveways. As I remember it, driving a vehicle on the sidewalk is a citable offence.

In many jurisdictions, they have already classified the status of these and small engine motor bikes based on horse power (or electric equivalent). They are either bicycles, mopeds, or motorcycles. Hey Oregon, get that stick outa your arse and get with the rest of the civilized world.
The Monkey

Hampton, VA

#8 Jun 9, 2011
Should be a pretty simple deal; does Or require DL's for the other two trillion electric bikes on its roads.
In Va eg, pwr assisted bicycles do not require licensing of their drivers.
Sheik Yerbouti

Richmond, IN

#9 Jun 9, 2011
Sounds like pure harassment to me!

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#10 Jun 9, 2011
yep ... Gestapo ... right

Oregon requires registration for all passenger vehicles such as cars and trucks, buses, campers, farm trucks, fleet vehicles, heavy vehicles, light trailers, low speed vehicles, motorcycles, mopeds, motor homes, snowmobiles, travel trailers and tow recovery vehicles. The registration cost varies depending on the type of vehicle being registered.

A mini-motorcycle, pocket bike, go-kart, all-terrain vehicle or similar motorized vehicle is not legal for use on public roads in Oregon. At least two traffic violations could apply for anyone found using such a vehicle on public roads:

wow the poor public how dare the police do this
meincolorado

Denver, CO

#13 Jun 9, 2011
Doesn't a drivers license designate commercial usage by the term driver. If he is commuting for personnel reasons, it should fall under private usage, Not commercial usage.

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#15 Jun 9, 2011
OZZY wrote:
<quoted text>NOT! Federal law allows the use of electric bicycles of 500 watts, 20 mph. on level ground, with NO registration, licence, or insurance. Since Federal law trumps little Oregon, the case WILL be dropped. I have been through the ringer on this matter here in Wyoming, and have prevaled in court EVERY TIME.

Federal can not regulate state roadway laws .. part of the constitution the state's right to self rule ...

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#19 Jun 9, 2011
OZZY wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yes,they certainly can and do. I have been to court a few times over this, and have won EVERY TIME proving people just like you and your made-up premise WRONG! Better do your research thoroughly before EVEN trying to argue this matter with me. You will lose misserably, EVERY time.
bet you haven't .. give me a trial date and a court docket ,

State law governs travel within its own state. For instance, state law governs traffic laws, such as setting speed limits. In addition, states may pass laws to impose taxes for lodging, gasoline and other travel-related issues. State laws also apply to highways within its state.
..... federal law governs fed highways period unless martial law and I haven't seen or even recall martial law and interstate travel such as buses/trains/airplanes

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#20 Jun 9, 2011
what is that court venue and docket #

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#23 Jun 9, 2011
In my state, you are allowed to ride a moped without a license, so long as you stay within the engine size and speed specifications. It is legally defined as a "bicycle with a helper motor." Anything larger/faster would require a license to operate.

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#25 Jun 9, 2011
OZZY wrote:
<quoted text>Rawlins, Wy, 2006, in municipal court. The case was DROPPED, because I am right, and jackasses just like you are WRONG! Better do your homework before you run your lips, boy.
do you understand that the state has the right to self rule??

that means that Wyoming law doesn't carry in Oregon, as does any other state carry in ant other state ..... research before you practice law ...

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#26 Jun 9, 2011
OZZY wrote:
Also, ORS 801.345. The stupid cops don`t even know their own law. Someone please get this information to Mr. McClain.
have to read all sections of the code...
Electric Assisted Bicycle
According to ORS 801.258, an electric assisted bicycle:

Is designed to be operated on the ground on wheels;
Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
Has both fully operative pedals for human propulsion and an electric motor; and
Is equipped with an electric motor that has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts and is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of greater than 20 miles per hour on level ground.

Electric Personal Mobility Device
According to ORS 801.259, an electric personal mobility device:

Is self-balancing on two non-tandem wheels;
Is designed to transport one standing person;
Has an electric motor; and
Has a maximum speed of 15 miles per hour.

******* requires insurance and registration
Sally

Huntington, NY

#27 Jun 9, 2011
Hello

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#28 Jun 9, 2011
OZZY wrote:
<quoted text>Rawlins, Wy, 2006, in municipal court. The case was DROPPED, because I am right, and jackasses just like you are WRONG! Better do your homework before you run your lips, boy.
what court and what docket # got have a courtroom and a case number..

you said several so pick one ...

LOST IN MISSISSIPPI

“it's just craic”

Since: Jan 09

Grand Haven, MI

#30 Jun 9, 2011
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
what court and what docket # got have a courtroom and a case number..
you said several so pick one ...
why dont you ask him for his ss# as well

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oregon Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Governor signs bill making Oregon first to offe... Aug '17 spytheweb 1
News Oregon approves measure requiring insurers to c... Jul '17 Laredo 157
News Democrat Lawmakers Pass Bill Giving FREE Aborti... Jul '17 Quirky 7
News Rule gives Oregonians non-gender option on driv... (Jun '17) Jun '17 Wondering 1
News Oregon set to shield marijuana user data from U... (Apr '17) Apr '17 Mikey 11
News Oregon braces for next round of snow (Dec '08) Feb '17 PEEEEEE OWED 6
News Latino immigrants suddenly avoiding the DMV (Aug '08) Feb '17 Trumpem 692
More from around the web