Oregon: slowest speed limit west of Mississippi

There are 6 comments on the May 14, 2011, KVAL-TV Eugene story titled Oregon: slowest speed limit west of Mississippi. In it, KVAL-TV Eugene reports that:

At 65 mph, the state of Oregon holds the record for some of the slowest speed limits across the country, but a new state bill is gaining speed to change that.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KVAL-TV Eugene.

JonBoy

Curlew, WA

#1 May 14, 2011
If the speed limit is raised from 65 to 75 on Oregon's one, and only one, rural Interstate Highway (I-84), a trip from the Portland city limits to the Idaho border at the higher speed limit would save all of 45 minutes. Big deal. People can try to justify their difficult to control urge to drive faster and faster, but treating an increase in lost lives as just necessary collateral damage so we won't be "the slowest state "west of the Mississippi" is nonsense. There are many states with similar laws. But, my goodness, they're "east" of the Mississippi... they don't count.
Oregon Is Disgusting

Portland, OR

#2 May 14, 2011
Oregon highways are full of speeders. You cannot go the speed limit as you will be passed by poor Oregon drivers at least 10 miles above. Oregonians cannot read road signs apparently.

This does not apply when they resemble parking lots 6 hours a day.

Since: Jun 11

Central Point, OR

#3 Jun 12, 2011
There is so little enforcement, you can drive pretty much as fast as you like! Interstates are without question the safest roads. Car and Driver magazine proved that speeding tickets on Interstates are just for revenue generation and people will travel at the 85th percentile regardless of the posted limit. Traffic enforcement dollars should be spent enforcing laws that save lives. Statistically, you are most likely to DIE in an accident involving a red light or stop sign (51% of DEATHS), driving left of center... HEAD on collision (30% of DEATHS) or following too closely (10% of DEATHS). Fatalities on the highways despite all those miles driven account for less than 6% of the total... So only 6% of the money spent on patrols should be allocated to speed enforcement on the highways. Spend the rest on signal/stop sign enforcement and on DUI and we would save more lives. Once the facts are borne out, many more lives would be saved!
Miller

Issaquah, WA

#4 Aug 27, 2012
Park your prius and take the bus then!!!!!
JonBoy wrote:
If the speed limit is raised from 65 to 75 on Oregon's one, and only one, rural Interstate Highway (I-84), a trip from the Portland city limits to the Idaho border at the higher speed limit would save all of 45 minutes. Big deal. People can try to justify their difficult to control urge to drive faster and faster, but treating an increase in lost lives as just necessary collateral damage so we won't be "the slowest state "west of the Mississippi" is nonsense. There are many states with similar laws. But, my goodness, they're "east" of the Mississippi... they don't count.

“No time like the present”

Since: Jul 08

to make it happen!

#5 Aug 27, 2012
JonBoy wrote:
(I love it when the idiots use the "lost lives" defense when it comes to their self-righteous assertions that they know best.)

So, using your logic then, you wouldn't have any problem slowing highway speeds down even more right?

If the sum total of your debate is to save lives, then you surely have no problem with lowering it to say, 45? That'll save a bunch of lives for sure, right?

Well if that's the case, why not lower it even more? How does 15 mph grab ya? Yes? No? If no, why not? According to your logic, the trade-off is worth it.

(rolls eyes)
Oregon is Great

Eugene, OR

#6 Sep 9, 2012
Whenever we go through Washington on I-5, we see two things.
One, even with the faster speed limit, most people still go at least 10 mph faster.
Two, there are a lot of accidents. It once took us an hour and a half to go 8 miles.
They've found that there are fewer accidents at 55, but I say we just leave it alone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oregon Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge proposes Oregon bakery pay $135,000 to le... 1 hr Wall 47
News Battle for Oregon highlights Obama's free-trade... Apr 15 Black Annie 18
News Integrate mental health care Mar 29 humanspirit 1
News Oregon woman detained in East Timor is headed home Mar '15 herli 1
News Colorado sold 17 tons of retail marijuana in fi... Feb '15 Kerry 1
News Amnesty Watch: Democrat Says Immigration Fight ... Feb '15 ILLEGAL A-HOLE 28
News The Oregonian's misleading take on climate change Feb '15 SpaceBlues 1
More from around the web