Roll up your sleeves, Oregon

May 24, 2009 Full story: Statesman Journal 47

Why do we live here? Why do we keep coming here? This Oregon journey has been going on for quite some time, from the earliest Oregonians - those who, thousands of years ago, crossed the Bearing Land Bridge to the Oregon Trail - to today, where somewhere in this state, someone is unpacking their belongings and calling Oregon their new home.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Oregon is Disgusting

United States

#1 May 24, 2009
It's cheaper than California.

That's it.
tGrouchy Goat

Bend, OR

#2 Jun 14, 2009
Oregon is Disgusting wrote:
It's cheaper than California.
That's it.
So what? If you can't lead a satisfying life, then its not worth it, even if it were...free
Oregon is Disgusting

United States

#3 Jun 14, 2009
Oregon isn't free but it is still considerably cheaper than California.
Neal

Stockton, CA

#4 Jun 14, 2009
Disgusting … I’ve been meaning to ask; are you putting your considerable intelligence and apparent spare time to work on establishing a single-payer health program for our nation? I’ve notice you support it several times around here and (quietly) applaud you.

I’d do more, but am doing what I can to curb and reverse illegal “immigration.” It’s a shame to watch our social services, especially the Oregon Health Plan, devoured by newly legalized and “undocumented” aliens. It’s a rallying cry for Republicans to demand “we” stop funding any social welfare programs.

Anyway, I’d be quite impressed to see a name change and watch you put yourself to work.…and if you told me you were already working on it, elsewhere, I’d be pleased. For what it’s worth…
Oregon is Disgusting

Portland, OR

#5 Jun 15, 2009
OREGON UNEMPLOYMENT HITS 12.4%

"An optimist could look past Oregon's record jobless rate -- 12.4 percent in May, with a staggering 240,000 unemployed -- and celebrate hiring gains in construction and other industries.

After all, Oregon lost only 100 payroll jobs in May, compared with the revised figure of 8,100 jobs that vanished in April. May's decline is the smallest monthly loss by far, seasonally adjusted, of the past 10 months.

But the misery index remains acute in a state where almost one in six people receives food stamps. More than 600,000 Oregonians -- another record -- got food-stamp benefits in May, up 27 percent from the same month last year.

Oregon Employment Department economists who released May's jobs data Monday said the numbers fell far short of a turnaround. The state would need to add 1,200 to 2,000 jobs a month just to stay even with population growth, said David Cooke, an agency economist.

A one-month gain of 1,700 construction jobs, compared with the normal May increase of about 1,100, hardly amounts to a trend. More losses are expected this year in the battered building industry as the state's overall employment outlook remains grim. "

UH OH
Neal

Stockton, CA

#6 Jun 16, 2009
UH OH
That’s it? That’s where your “priorities” lie? Have you no redeeming values? If so, you’re extremely messed up… If not, prove it
Grouchy Goat

Lake Oswego, OR

#7 Jun 28, 2009
OREGON UNEMPLOYMENT HITS 12.4%
"An optimist could look past Oregon's record jobless rate -- 12.4 percent in May, with a staggering 240,000 unemployed -- and celebrate hiring gains in construction and other industries.
After all, Oregon lost only 100 payroll jobs in May, compared with the revised figure of 8,100 jobs that vanished in April. May's decline is the smallest monthly loss by far, seasonally adjusted, of the past 10 months.
But the misery index remains acute in a state where almost one in six people receives food stamps. More than 600,000 Oregonians -- another record -- got food-stamp benefits in May, up 27 percent from the same month last year.
Oregon Employment Department economists who released May's jobs data Monday said the numbers fell far short of a turnaround. The state would need to add 1,200 to 2,000 jobs a month just to stay even with population growth, said David Cooke, an agency economist.
A one-month gain of 1,700 construction jobs, compared with the normal May increase of about 1,100, hardly amounts to a trend. More losses are expected this year in the battered building industry as the state's overall employment outlook remains grim. "
UH OH
UH OH is right. Unemployment was 16.7% in Deschutes County, and rising, for May.
Real

United States

#8 Jun 28, 2009
Too many people for paradise! Send em home to the rustbelt… or Mexico.
Don Quixote

Bend, OR

#9 Jun 29, 2009
Real wrote:
Too many people for paradise! Send em home to the rustbelt… or Mexico.
Quite the contrary, we need more people, preferably with a voice to rid this state of the corruption within our state government. Also the department of homeland security and FBI, DEA etc. has got to stop sending in their criminal subterfuge to set people up and send them to prison. I have your names I know who you are, you think you'll get away with your shit, your wrong so wrong, the FBI has fumbled everything they have been involved in since their inception in 1911. I have no faith in any of these agencies, anyone that does is inherently weak and deserves nothing.
Oregon Is Disgusting

United States

#10 Nov 2, 2009
Oregon quality of life on a scale of 1 to 10:

negative 20.

It is the WORST place to live. The people are rude, violent, mean-spirited, psychotic, loud, cold and untrustworthy.

Period.
Bovine Breeder

Redding, CA

#11 Nov 6, 2009
You got that right OID
Fred in McCall

United States

#12 Nov 8, 2009
Oregon Is Disgusting wrote:
negative 20.
It is the WORST place to live. The people are rude, violent, mean-spirited, psychotic, loud, cold and untrustworthy.
Period.
They weren't like that in Hermiston when I live there. Of course I do not speak Hispanish so I really do not know what they were saying.
Oregon Is Disgusting

United States

#13 Nov 10, 2009
Fred in McCall wrote:
<quoted text>They weren't like that in Hermiston when I live there. Of course I do not speak Hispanish so I really do not know what they were saying.
So your position is that you enjoy being a bigot and will strive to be as ignorant as possible. Yep, that is typical of your kind.
JonBoy

Curlew, WA

#14 Nov 11, 2009
negative 20.
Period.
This is a classic and quite humorous example of pointing one finger and having three pointing back. One does tend to see everyone else through the tinted window of their own psyche. Very funny.

Oregon is Disgusting:
Rude: always insulting and overbearing, no tact or kindness.
Violent: Hopefully not physically, but verbally... definitely.
Mean-spirited: Right to the core. See above. Makes broad sweeping generalizations that insult an entire population of diverse individuals from all walks of life and all mindsets and worldviews.
Psychotic: The broad generalizations and erroneous beliefs indicate yes, for sure.
Loud: in essence and spirit, right on. Always on the soapbox. For months, maybe years, so far.
Cold: No love for anyone in "disgusting Oregon," even the kindhearted and loving. They're going to get the same insults as often as he has opportunity.
Untrustworthy: Well, I'll have to give him/her the benefit of the doubt on this one. More than he does for everyone else...from Oregon. Wait, "Oregon is the worst place to live"? I have lived in other places, short & long term. I've travelled extensively. Not true. Puts forth opinions as fact. Can't trust him.
snarka larka

Redding, CA

#15 Nov 11, 2009
Better roll up your pant legs Oregon! Your knee deep in bs
Oregon Is Disgusting

United States

#16 Nov 11, 2009
JonBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a classic and quite humorous example of pointing one finger and having three pointing back. One does tend to see everyone else through the tinted window of their own psyche. Very funny.
Oregon is Disgusting:
Rude: always insulting and overbearing, no tact or kindness.
Violent: Hopefully not physically, but verbally... definitely.
Mean-spirited: Right to the core. See above. Makes broad sweeping generalizations that insult an entire population of diverse individuals from all walks of life and all mindsets and worldviews.
Psychotic: The broad generalizations and erroneous beliefs indicate yes, for sure.
Loud: in essence and spirit, right on. Always on the soapbox. For months, maybe years, so far.
Cold: No love for anyone in "disgusting Oregon," even the kindhearted and loving. They're going to get the same insults as often as he has opportunity.
Untrustworthy: Well, I'll have to give him/her the benefit of the doubt on this one. More than he does for everyone else...from Oregon. Wait, "Oregon is the worst place to live"? I have lived in other places, short & long term. I've travelled extensively. Not true. Puts forth opinions as fact. Can't trust him.
Yet another Oregonian whining and then whining and then whining some more. Whining is the Oregon state song. Algae is the Oregon state flower. Unemployed is the typical state of Oregonians.

Along with lack of sunlight and the utterly cold dampness, it makes for a bunch of pasty-faced crotchety old people.

Note that Oregonians are nasty to everyone else in the world (used to be Californians, now Mexicans or anyone resembling a Mexican) but whine like obnoxious little children whenever they get anything in return.
Oregon Is Disgusting

Portland, OR

#17 Jan 21, 2010
www.youstreet.org

Get Scalia, Roberts, Alito, Kennedy and Thomas out of your life by telling them that their hatred for the USA's democratic principles will not stand.
Say the Truth

Wallingford, PA

#18 Mar 23, 2010
negative 20.
Period.
Go back to Canada.
Oregon Is Disgusting

United States

#19 Mar 28, 2010
Stay in PA.
Oregon is great

Bend, OR

#20 May 4, 2010
The way I see it, "Oregon is Disgusting" is either a huge hypocrite (otherwise he would not stay in Portland), or he loves Oregon and is trying to discourage more people from living here.
So, which is it?
By the way, I am a native Oregonian. I am polite. Never whine. Never mean-spirited. Successful. Happy. Positive attitude, and the recession has not affected my income. Our businesses make more every year.(of course, I moved away from the rainy valley a long time ago)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oregon Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Some parents upset state won't reveal where sic... Oct 12 joan 1
Oregon Governor's Fiancee Admits to Sham Marriage Oct 12 joan 2
Driver's cards campaign ramps up in rural Oregon Oct 11 Cricket 23 1
Oregon Lottery must expand gambling-addiction p... (Dec '13) Aug '14 Cory Trevor 4
Oregon Governor Seeks Lawsuit Over Health Exchange May '14 United Clowns 1
Panel to study at Agent Orange residue exposure May '14 Jaimie 4
Oregon panel recommends moving to federal exchange (Apr '14) Apr '14 April fools 34

Oregon Government People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE