Student wants to pay in-state, but pa...

Student wants to pay in-state, but parents undocumented

There are 20 comments on the www.katu.com story from Feb 15, 2011, titled Student wants to pay in-state, but parents undocumented. In it, www.katu.com reports that:

A teenager pleaded with Oregon lawmakers Monday to allow her to pay in-state tuition at Oregon colleges even though she does not legally have citizenship.

Let's all play the sympathy card.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.katu.com.

Dee Dee Dee

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#1 Feb 15, 2011
"Under current laws she would have to pay out-of-state tuition, which Garcia said she can’t afford."
Under current laws she and her parents are supposed to be deported and barred from reentering the U.S. for 10 years. Since neither her or her parents can legally work in the U.S. where are they going to get the money even for in state tuition without breaking the law?
Why should a legal resident of the United States and the state of Oregon be denied in state tuition so that an illegal alien can receive in state tuition?
AmberDru

Dublin, OH

#2 Feb 15, 2011
What a weird title.

The first issue is that the student is here illegally.

Second as already mentioned, by what illegal means is the illegal alien student getting money for anything, including tuition.

I bet they are all HIGHLY DOCUMENTED.

I worked in the registrar's office as an undergraduate. There was a young man who lived with his parents while attending college and the family moved. He moved with them. He came to the registrar's office to enroll and was told he had to pay out of state fees. He appealed and lost.

The family needs to be deported ASAP
AmberDru

Dublin, OH

#3 Feb 15, 2011
It seems these colleges are also violating federal law.

When a LEGAL foreign student gets a visa to study in the U.S. if they fail to enroll and attend at least 12 semester hours the school is suppose to report them to the feds. But if they are illegal I guess this is ok.
Dee Dee Dee

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#4 Feb 15, 2011
AmberDru wrote:
It seems these colleges are also violating federal law.
When a LEGAL foreign student gets a visa to study in the U.S. if they fail to enroll and attend at least 12 semester hours the school is suppose to report them to the feds. But if they are illegal I guess this is ok.
That is another reason why it is better to be an illegal alien than a legal foreign student. A legal foreign student will be deported if they are arrested and convicted of a crime. An illegal alien will not unless it is a crime considered to be “serious” by ICE. A legal foreign student will lose their visa and be deported if they work while here on a student visa. An illegal alien will not be deported even if they work using a stolen or fraudulent I.D.

“Trump ain't playing!”

Since: Dec 07

Welfare State

#5 Feb 15, 2011
Give me, Give me, Give me! I deserve it!

That's all these fools know how to do...beg for something to be given to them.

Btw, she adopted us...we didn't adopt her.
Maggie

Saint George, UT

#6 Feb 15, 2011
It is insane this is a news story.If our system and laws were working ,this entire family would be on their way back to their native country.
CROSSHAIRS

Grove City, OH

#7 Feb 15, 2011
GOOD FOR OREGON........
THIS IS AN ILLEGAL PERSON - JUST AS HER PARENTS ARE ILLEGAL. THE STATE OF OREGON AS ALL STATES MUST STOP THIS BUSINESS OF PROVIDING TAXPAYER FUNDED EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES/PROGRAMS TO ILLEGAL PEOPLE.
NOW THAT THIS STORY IS PUBLIC DOMAIN - LETS SEE IF THE ICE PEOPLE INTERVENE AND SEND THE WHOLE ILLEGAL FAMILY BACK ACROSS THE BOARDER.
SOMEONE SHOULD FIND OUT WHERE THIS GALS PARENTS WORK AND BOYCOTT/PICKET THE COMPANY THAT HAS HIRED ILLEGALS - STAY ON PICKET UNTIL THE COMPANY FIRES THE PARENTS AND THEN HIRES AN OUT OF WORK AMERICAN TO REPLACE THEM.
DIG DEEP FOLKS......FIND OUT IF THEY GET ANY FORM OF WELFARE - FIND OUT IF THE PARENTS HAVE ILLEGALLY OBTAINED DRIVERS PERMITS AND NOT ONLY SAY NO TO IMMIGRATION REFORM AND AMNESTY.......
BUT HELL NO.
IF ANY OF THE DO-GOODERS THINK THIS IS CRUEL - WELL WE ARE AT WAR WITH THE ILLEGALS.......
THEY HAVE INVADED OUR COUNTRY..........
THEY HAVE STOLEN JOBS AND INCOMES FROM AMERICANS.
THEY HAVE COST THE USA/STATE/LOCAL GOVERNMENTS BILLIONS FOR SOCIAL SERVICES, MEDICAL, EDUCATIONAL BENEFITS. THIS IS TAXPAYER MONEY - DESIGNED TO GO TO AMERICANS - NOT ILLEGAL THIEVES.
THEY ARE LEACHES......THIVES AND CRIMINALS AND THEY WAGE ECOMONIC WAR AGAINST THE USA.
DEPORT THEM...KICK THEM OUT...STARVE THEM OUT.

Since: Jan 11

Milton, MA

#8 Feb 15, 2011
No in state tuition - no compromises.

Taxpayers should absolutely, under no circumstances be expected to subsidize the lower in state tuition rate for illegal immigrants to attend state colleges and universities.

Even the idea of it is insane. Why would we sink another cent into educating students who cannot be legally hired in this country by any employer? There is no return on investment.
Pando

Bullhead City, AZ

#9 Feb 15, 2011
Quote from article:

“I want my adopted country to allow me to keep dreaming like other young people,” Garcia said.“What do I have to do to prove I am good enough?”
~~~~~~~~~~

Well, Jessica Garcia, how about taking your ILLEGAL ALIEN parents and slipping back across the border.

Then take yourself to an immigration office and apply to come here legally. Wait your turn and come here with the proper papers.

What you have to do to prove you're "good enough" is obey our laws. All of them not just the ones you or your parents feel like obeying.

Gloria85

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#10 Feb 15, 2011
Has anyone ever seen a sob story when "undocumented" people give something of themselves to the community at large?

It is always about them.

They WANT. They NEED.

Gimme! Gimme. Gimme. Take. Take. Take

Thats why they can buy 3 shopping carts of groceries and pack the items into a 2009 Ford King Kab pickups while the average American buys 2 bags of groceries and drives away in a 2002 Honda Civic

You have seen them in the grocery stores, greedily eyeing the wealth of our nation as if it belonged to them.

50 pound bags of tortillas. King size boxes of pampers. Multitudes of alcoholic beverages in boxed containers.

Don't give them a path to instate tuiton - give them a path back to their alien homelands!

El Paso, TX

#11 Feb 15, 2011
Another sad story, You are a Anchor baby of Illegal Aliens. First ask your parents why? Second apply for citizenship as millions do! and one day your dreams will be meet. I and millions like me have either Died or got wounded for Americans to have these freedoms and rights. We as Americans will never give these Liberities away freely. It is our birthright.
CROSSHAIRS

Grove City, OH

#12 Feb 15, 2011
Afghan - Iraq Vet wrote:
Another sad story, You are a Anchor baby of Illegal Aliens. First ask your parents why? Second apply for citizenship as millions do! and one day your dreams will be meet. I and millions like me have either Died or got wounded for Americans to have these freedoms and rights. We as Americans will never give these Liberities away freely. It is our birthright.
GOOD EVENING 1ST SGT:
I READ AND REREAD THE ARTICLE. IT IS HARD TO TELL IF SHE IS AN ANCHOR BABY. THE ARTICLE SAYS SHE CAME TO OREGON AT THE AGE OF 1.
IS SHE LEGAL...OR ILLEGAL LIKE HER PARENTS ? I TEND TO THINK SHE IS ILLEGAL AS WELL OR AT LEAST THE SCHOOL SYSTEM THINKS SHE IS A WET BACK.
I WAS IN HOPES OF SOMEONE FROM SALEM, OREGON LOOKING INTO HER FAMILIES STATUS WITH ICE. WE HAVE HER NAME AND HER SCHOOL. ASK THE GOOD FOLKS AT ICE TO SWOOP DOWN ON HER AND HER PARENTS.
MAYBE, IF WE ACT SOON, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE WE CAN GET THEM ON THE 3:10 FROM YUMA TO MEXICO CITY WITHOUT A STOP AT THE BOARDER.
MAYBE THE MEXICAN GOVERNMENT WILL ALLOW HER TO ENROLL AT A UNIV. IN MEXICO CITY AT A REDUCED RATE.
MAYBE SHE CAN EVEN QUALIFY FOR THE MEXICAN FREE LUNCH PROGRAM.

Gloria85

Location hidden

#13 Feb 15, 2011
Deece_ wrote:
No in state tuition - no compromises.
Taxpayers should absolutely, under no circumstances be expected to subsidize the lower in state tuition rate for illegal immigrants to attend state colleges and universities.
Even the idea of it is insane. Why would we sink another cent into educating students who cannot be legally hired in this country by any employer? There is no return on investment.
No answer, coward mule?

Or do you only feel BRAVE when you travel in a pack with Rico and his goons!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH

Milton, MA

#14 Feb 15, 2011
Gloria85 wrote:
<quoted text>
No answer, coward mule?
Or do you only feel BRAVE when you travel in a pack with Rico and his goons!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH
Did you ask me a direct question related to the article or are you here to cause trouble as usual?

“Trump ain't playing!”

Since: Dec 07

Welfare State

#15 Feb 15, 2011
Gloria85 wrote:
Has anyone ever seen a sob story when "undocumented" people give something of themselves to the community at large?
It is always about them.
They WANT. They NEED.
Gimme! Gimme. Gimme. Take. Take. Take
Thats why they can buy 3 shopping carts of groceries and pack the items into a 2009 Ford King Kab pickups while the average American buys 2 bags of groceries and drives away in a 2002 Honda Civic
You have seen them in the grocery stores, greedily eyeing the wealth of our nation as if it belonged to them.
50 pound bags of tortillas. King size boxes of pampers. Multitudes of alcoholic beverages in boxed containers.
Don't give them a path to instate tuiton - give them a path back to their alien homelands!
Amen! They go to the local Walmart here and check out four cartloads of food with WIC vouchers and foodstamps, then swing by the Catholic church on the way home and wipe out the food pantry. Greedy hogs.
Pando

Bullhead City, AZ

#16 Feb 15, 2011
CROSSHAIRS wrote:
<quoted text>
GOOD EVENING 1ST SGT:
I READ AND REREAD THE ARTICLE. IT IS HARD TO TELL IF SHE IS AN ANCHOR BABY. THE ARTICLE SAYS SHE CAME TO OREGON AT THE AGE OF 1.
IS SHE LEGAL...OR ILLEGAL LIKE HER PARENTS ? I TEND TO THINK SHE IS ILLEGAL AS WELL OR AT LEAST THE SCHOOL SYSTEM THINKS SHE IS A WET BACK.
I WAS IN HOPES OF SOMEONE FROM SALEM, OREGON LOOKING INTO HER FAMILIES STATUS WITH ICE. WE HAVE HER NAME AND HER SCHOOL. ASK THE GOOD FOLKS AT ICE TO SWOOP DOWN ON HER AND HER PARENTS.
MAYBE, IF WE ACT SOON, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE WE CAN GET THEM ON THE 3:10 FROM YUMA TO MEXICO CITY WITHOUT A STOP AT THE BOARDER.
MAYBE THE MEXICAN GOVERNMENT WILL ALLOW HER TO ENROLL AT A UNIV. IN MEXICO CITY AT A REDUCED RATE.
MAYBE SHE CAN EVEN QUALIFY FOR THE MEXICAN FREE LUNCH PROGRAM.
She is definitely an ILLEGAL ALIEN. Quote from the article:

~~~~~~~~~~
"A teenager pleaded with Oregon lawmakers Monday to allow her to pay in-state tuition at Oregon colleges even though she does not legally have citizenship.

Jessica Garcia, a sophomore at North Eugene High School, has lived in Oregon since she was just a year old. Her parents are undocumented, which means she is not considered an Oregon citizen and not eligible for in-state tuition."

~~~~~~~~~~

Not only does she "not legally have citizenship" she doesn't have legal residency either. If she did she would qualify for in-state tuition.

Gloria85

Location hidden

#17 Feb 15, 2011
Deece_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ask me a direct question related to the article or are you here to cause trouble as usual?
You answered exactly as I knew you would.

You are yellow without Rico, Freedom, and One Republic!

Gloria85

Location hidden

#18 Feb 15, 2011
Fed Up in North Carolina wrote:
<quoted text>Amen! They go to the local Walmart here and check out four cartloads of food with WIC vouchers and foodstamps, then swing by the Catholic church on the way home and wipe out the food pantry. Greedy hogs.
I had not heard of them gouging the churches. But if there is something out there that is "free," they will find it and leave it bare.

A shameless horde of locusts.
CROSSHAIRS

Grove City, OH

#19 Feb 16, 2011
Gloria85 wrote:
<quoted text>
I had not heard of them gouging the churches. But if there is something out there that is "free," they will find it and leave it bare.
A shameless horde of locusts.
SHAMELESS IS RIGHT.........
GLORIA...WE ANTI-ILLEGAL FRONTRUNNERS NEED TO COMBINE EFFORTS.
I SAY -STAVE THEM OUT .. BURN THEM OUT .. KICK THEM OUT.
RESERVE TICKETS (OR THE WHOLE DAMM TRAIN) ON THE 3:10 FROM YUMA TO MEXICO CITY. NO STOPPS AT THE BOARDER....COME RIDE WITH ME....
I'LL PUT FIRE IN THE FURNACE AND YOU CHECK TICKETS...ILLEGALS ONLY.
"SOUTH BOUND AND DOWN - KEEP THOSE RAIL CARS CLICKING"
Pando

Bullhead City, AZ

#20 Feb 16, 2011
Afghan - Iraq Vet wrote:
Jessica Garcia is not an anchor baby. If she were she would be an American citizen, a resident of Oregon and entitled to in-state tuition.

She is an ILLEGAL ALIEN brought into this country by her ILLEGAL ALIEN parents when she was a year old. She is entitled to nothing and neither are her parents.

Being in the U.S. doesn't make you an American citizen any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oregon Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Governor signs bill making Oregon first to offe... Wed spytheweb 1
News Oregon approves measure requiring insurers to c... Jul '17 Laredo 157
News Democrat Lawmakers Pass Bill Giving FREE Aborti... Jul '17 Quirky 7
News Rule gives Oregonians non-gender option on driv... Jun '17 Wondering 1
News Oregon set to shield marijuana user data from U... Apr '17 Mikey 11
News Oregon braces for next round of snow (Dec '08) Feb '17 PEEEEEE OWED 6
News Latino immigrants suddenly avoiding the DMV (Aug '08) Feb '17 Trumpem 692
More from around the web