Wrongful Convictions -- Stealing Lives One Person at a Time

Jul 9, 2008 | Posted by: Meeker | Full story: www.prweb.com

Together, www.FreeKelseysMom.com and www.Raye-of-Hope.org are hoping to educate the public about wrongful convictions by holding a rally on June 21, 2008 in Harrah, Oklahoma at Heritage Park. Oklahoma City, OK (PRWEB) May 23, 2008 -- The recent release of wrongfully convicted Cynthia Sommer has brought awareness to the imprisonment of the innocent. The trend of crime lab mistakes, judicial errors, and incorrect eyewitness accounts is spreading nationwide. These contribute to years being stripped away from those who are mistakenly confined in a system that promises "Justice for all." Together, www.FreeKelseysMom.com and www.Raye-of-Hope.org are hoping to educate the public about wrongful convictions by holding a rally on June 21, 2008 in Harrah, Oklahoma at Heritage Park. Oklahoma's own "Innocent Man" Dennis Fritz and Tabitha Pollock who was exonerated in an Illinois Supreme Court after six years in prison are among scheduled guest speakers. Ultimately, we want to educate the public of this very real epidemic of wrongful convictions.

To quote Sommer's website, "Putting an innocent person in jail is the legal equivalent of a plane crash." Unfortunately, these "plane crashes" are part of a trend that is being seen across the country. With high profile cases such as Sommer's making the nightly news, the public is now opening its eyes to the reality that wrongful imprisonment can happen to anyone. In Oklahoma, awareness of our "injustice" system has gone virtual with the websites www.FreeKelseysMom.com and www.TheTruthAboutKelsey.com. These sites are in support of a woman named Raye Dawn Smith. Free Kelsey's Mom members believe Smith has been wrongfully convicted by a one-sided media blitz that altered public opinion and led to an unfair trial. During the trial, Richard Smothermon, District Attorney for Lincoln County, Oklahoma, stated that he believed Smith's daughter, Kelsey Smith-Briggs, was sexually assaulted and murdered by Mike Porter, Smith's ex-husband and Kelsey's step-father. According to Smothermon, Smith "should have known" Porter abused Kelsey. (Oklahoma Case(s) CF-06-00033 & CF-07-00134)Smith now sits in an Oklahoma prison waiting for her appeal to the 27-year sentence she received for "should have known." Evidence in support of allegations of perjury, jury tainting, juror misconduct, timelines, the conspiratorial emails, and other documentation can be found on Smith's sites at www.TheTruthAboutKelsey.com.

Comments
8,921 - 8,940 of 8,978 Comments Last updated Aug 17, 2013

“what ever floats your goat”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Judged:

Abbie wrote:
<quoted text>
I belive that Raye will live out the rest of her life with out Kelsey...whom she loved to pieces. Yes, as a mother we should know things, we should have gut feelings about things, we should focus on certain things, etc. But to charge someone of ALLOWING ABUSE is not the right thing to do. Sentencing someone to 27 years for something you SHOULD HAVE KNOWN is injustice. As humans there are alot of things we should know...but we dont. Also given the problems with the other family and the current situations Raye was living in I find it more harder to believe that she should have known.
I agree with you Abbie, thank you for bringing that out, that is just messed that after her husband secretly kills her baby they say she should have known, they should go to jail for charging her for the crimes of others,,,false arrest, and lying in court, that is against the law... conspiring to obstruct justice in a court of law, There are crimes still being committed against the home of this poor child, Kelsey Smith Briggs

“DHS steals children for Money”

Since: Aug 08

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

salem witch trial reunion wrote:
<quoted text>
where is your love, someone has had everything taken from her, and not given a fair trial,
how would you like it if someone was mean to your child when no one was around and you got 27 years for 'should have known'
do you think it is alright to kick someone who is down?
Well in the first place she is not the innocent victim Kelsey is. Raye Dawn married Porter 2 days after the judge to not let him around Kelsey. Bottom line she cared more about Porter then she did her own child and that is why Kelsey is now dead. She was Kelsey's mother and it was her job to protect her and she didn't do it plain and simple.
I am ma-deal with it

Crescent City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

she could have protected Kelsey if he was abusing Kelsey in front of her,

The children services and
the judge and
the doctors all have the job to protect Kelsey, and none of them could because mike porter 'was real nice to Kelsey' when around people,' that is what the eyewitness, his 8 year old daughter said, because when raye dawn was not home, this eight year old walked in on him twice brutalizing her,
she walked in on him twice that week that she died, she later told the school counselor this and yet this eyewitness was not brought to trial.

the victim's father was given a chose to give this brutal child molester and killer a deal in order to hurt the girls mother again,

Any wife abuser would love to put their victim in prison for 20 as the ultimate form of abuse,
I am ma-deal with it

Crescent City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Any
vindictive mother-in-law
would love to put their son's cop-calling-abused wife in prison for 20 years as the ultimate form of abuse,
I am ma-deal with it

Crescent City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

all of them HAD the job to protect Kelsey, and
none of them could because
mike porter 'was real nice to Kelsey'
when around people,'

and where was her father, a father's main job is protect his wife and children, He 'Should Have Known' that another man will not love his child as much as him,
uncivil war

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

DistinctlyOK wrote:
<quoted text>
Kim Dotcom was shipped to the United States so that the Federal Government could freeze his funds, deny him the ability to hire a lawyer, and then take him to court for copyright.
sounds like unfair due process,

“visit HudsonDildoEmpor ium.com”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

Judged:

I am ma-deal with it wrote:
'
and where was her father, a father's main job is protect his wife and children, He 'Should Have Known' that another man will not love his child as much as him,
Why do I get the feeling that you are blaming Kelsey's father for all the crap that your own kids where put through by your string of live in boyfriends, pedophile babysitters and loser husbands?

I guess if you admit that Raye Dawn Smith was at fault you would have to admit that you where at fault with your own kids. I guess it's easier to blame Lance Briggs the same way that you have been blaming all the men who you think failed you all these years. Because, just like Raye Dawn Smith, nothing was ever YOUR fault either was it?
anon

Piedmont, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

Judged:

Laquesha Jefferson PhD wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do I get the feeling that you are blaming Kelsey's father for all the crap that your own kids where put through by your string of live in boyfriends, pedophile babysitters and loser husbands?
I guess if you admit that Raye Dawn Smith was at fault you would have to admit that you where at fault with your own kids. I guess it's easier to blame Lance Briggs the same way that you have been blaming all the men who you think failed you all these years. Because, just like Raye Dawn Smith, nothing was ever YOUR fault either was it?
Regardless of what HER homelife is like, she DOES have a point about husbands and fathers. I don't know if anyone ELSE has noticed this, but the "should have known" charge is almost never planted on men. Not speaking of Raye dawn specifically here, but it just always seemed to me like the "should have known" bit was a ploy set up by law enforcement as a way to charge women and/or force them to testify against boyfriends and husbands even when no knowledge on their part could be proven.
The whole "should have known" charge is simply too vague and theoretical to be enforced, and too much of a chance at a miscarriage of justice. As I posted earlier, for some reason, societal expectations on women are still different. They are expected to have special "powers" and almost psychic connections to their offspring. Yet no such expectation of men, who are still seen as stronger, and main bread winners. That's just not fair.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

Laquesha Jefferson PhD wrote:
<quoted text>
The topix here is wrongful conviction, blaming an innocent mother who had never seen her new husband of 6 months abuse the child, nor did the child complain about abuse, is a wee bit criminal, don't you think, and smakes of abuse, abuse is what the leader of the lynch mob did, and raye dawn left this man, although not soon enough as far as i am concerned, but still we need to focus on how single mothers can protect their children and not get pulled into this feeding frenzy of mob violence

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

anon wrote:
<quoted text>
for some reason, societal expectations on women are still different. They are expected to have special "powers" and almost psychic connections to their offspring. Yet no such expectation of men, who are still seen as stronger, and main bread winners. That's just not fair.
NOT FAIR INDEED, and it will sooner or later get thrown out of court,

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless of what HER homelife is like, she DOES have a point about husbands and fathers. I don't know if anyone ELSE has noticed this, but the "should have known" charge is almost never planted on men. Not speaking of Raye dawn specifically here, but it just always seemed to me like the "should have known" bit was a ploy set up by law enforcement as a way to charge women and/or force them to testify against boyfriends and husbands even when no knowledge on their part could be proven.
The whole "should have known" charge is simply too vague and theoretical to be enforced, and too much of a chance at a miscarriage of justice. As I posted earlier, for some reason, societal expectations on women are still different. They are expected to have special "powers" and almost psychic connections to their offspring. Yet no such expectation of men, who are still seen as stronger, and main bread winners. That's just not fair.
it just always seemed to me like the "should have known" bit was a ploy set up by law enforcement as a way to charge women and/or force them to testify against boyfriends and husbands even when no knowledge on their part could be proven.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Comparing yourself to someone else can be poisonous. If we’re somehow ‘better’ than the person that we’re comparing ourselves to, it gives us an unhealthy sense of superiority. Our ego inflates – KABOOM – our inner Kanye West comes out! If we’re ‘worse’ than the person that we’re comparing ourselves to, we usually discredit the hard work that we’ve done and dismiss all the progress that we’ve made. What I’ve found is that the majority of the time this type of social comparison doesn’t stem from a healthy place. If you feel called to compare yourself to something, compare yourself to an earlier version of yourself.http://wakeup-world.c om/2012/04/18/twelve-things-ha ppy-people-do-differently/

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Looking back on the memory of
The dance we shared beneath the stars above
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known you'd ever say goodbye
And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance
Holding you I held everything
For a moment wasn't I the king
But if I'd only known how the king would fall
Hey who's to say you know I might have changed it all
And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance
Yes my life is better left to chance
I could have missed the pain but I'd of had to miss the dance

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

But if I'd only known how the king would fall
Hey who's to say you know I might have changed it all
Hansel n Gretel

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

I don't know if anyone ELSE has noticed this, but the "should have known" charge is almost never planted on men. well said...

Hansel and Gretel are the young children of a poor woodcutter. When a great famine settles over the land, the woodcutter's second, abusive wife decides to take the children into the woods and leave them there to fend for themselves, so that she and her husband do not starve to death. The woodcutter opposes the plan but finally, and reluctantly, submits to his wife's scheme. They are unaware that in the children's bedroom, Hansel and Gretel have overheard them. After the parents have gone to bed, Hansel sneaks out of the house and gathers as many white pebbles as he can, then returns to his room, reassuring Gretel that God will not forsake them.

The next day, the family walk deep into the woods and Hansel lays a trail of white pebbles. After their parents abandon them, the children wait for the moon to rise and then they followed the pebbles back home. They return home safely, much to their stepmother's horror. Once again provisions become scarce and the stepmother angrily orders her husband to take the children further into the woods and leave them there to die. Hansel and Gretel attempt to gather more pebbles, but find the doors locked and find it impossible to escape.
The following morning, the family treks into the woods. Hansel takes a slice of bread and leaves a trail of bread crumbs for them to follow home. However, after they are once again abandoned, they find that the birds have eaten the crumbs and they are lost in the woods. After days of wandering, they follow a beautiful white bird to a clearing in the woods, and discover a large cottage built of gingerbread and cakes with window panes of clear sugar. Hungry and tired, the children begin to eat the rooftop of the candy house, when the door opens and a "very old woman" emerges and lures the children inside, with the promise of soft beds and delicious food. They do this without knowing the fact that their hostess is a wicked witch who waylays children to cook and eat them.

The next morning, the witch locks Hansel in an iron cage in the garden and forces Gretel into becoming a slave.
History and analysis
Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm heard "Hansel and Gretel" from Dortchen Wild,[1] and published it in Kinder - und Hausmärchen in 1812.[2] In the Grimm tale, the woodcutter and his wife are the biological parents of the children and share the blame for abandoning them. In later editions, some slight revisions were made: the wife is stepmother to the children, the woodcutter opposes his wife's scheme to abandon the children, and religious references are made.[3]

Linguist and folklorist Edward Vajda has proposed that these stories represent the remnant of a coming-of-age rite-of-passage tale extant in Proto-Indo-European society.[4][5] A house made of confectionery is found in a 14th-century manuscript about the Land of Cockayne.
The fact that the mother or stepmother dies when the children have killed the witch has suggested to many commentators that the mother or stepmother and the witch are metaphorically the same woman.[6] A Russian folk tale exists in which the evil stepmother (also the wife of a poor woodcutter) asks her hated stepdaughter to go into the forest to borrow a light from her sister, who turns out to be Baba Yaga, who is also a cannibalistic witch. Besides highlighting the endangerment of children (as well as their own cleverness), the tales have in common a preoccupation with food and with hurting children: the mother or stepmother wants to avoid hunger, while the witch lures children to eat her house of candy so that she can then eat them.[7] Another tale of this type is The Lost Children.[8] The Brothers Grimm identified the French Finette Cendron and Hop o' My Thumb as parallel stories.[9]
Hansel n Gretel

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

None of which Kelsey's mother is guilty of,

Kelsey's loving mommy put Kelsey above her new husband which enrages him because he is jealous that she put her child first before him and his two year old son. this is a common problem in step families.
Hansel n Gretel

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2012

sorry it posted twice.
anon

Piedmont, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Hansel n Gretel wrote:
None of which Kelsey's mother is guilty of,
Kelsey's loving mommy put Kelsey above her new husband which enrages him because he is jealous that she put her child first before him and his two year old son. this is a common problem in step families.
I can't speak for men when it comes to how step moms tend to treat children. It could be just as bad; I honestly don't know. I do know that it is disheartening to read almost as many cases of women hurting children now as men.

However, with the way things are now, if you are a single mom with small children, PLEASE, just leave those men alone!!! It's obvious in our society that it is just too risky to trust them with our children ladies.
anon

Piedmont, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Imysbimyssbbycimlimysb wrote:
<quoted text>
it just always seemed to me like the "should have known" bit was a ploy set up by law enforcement as a way to charge women and/or force them to testify against boyfriends and husbands even when no knowledge on their part could be proven.
Feminism has really not done us women a whole lot of favors, has it? The more modern type, I mean, and not the type where they just wanted a chance to vote or simply be treated as human beings. Yet feminism hasn't changed anything in the way of human nature and the natural ways of men and women. Women still instinctively lean on men and go along with them. There is nothing wrong with that in of itself.

Is that when we stopped being women and simply became PEOPLE?
Hansel n Gretel

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

I see so many people on Jerry springer where the man claims it is not his child,
says horrible things about the mother while sticking close to his new girl,

and then when they find out it is his,
then they immediately want to take the child from her,

Where is the love and
why are they even allowed to break out the baby-making equipment in the first place?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••