Oklahoma Poll: School funding is important to state's voters

Aug 19, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Customer Interaction Solutions

Almost two-thirds of Oklahomans say they are very concerned about the funding of their local public schools, and more than nine in 10 say they will take that funding into consideration when casting ballots in this fall's legislative races, according to the most recent Oklahoma Poll.

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Aug 22, 2012
Naucious

United States

#1 Aug 19, 2012
This is PURE Bull Shit to put pressure on the legislature by the Public Teachers Unions. Anybody that would support funding of a public school needs their heads examined. Public Schools are FAILING our children so let the System FAIL.
concerned citizen

Sallisaw, OK

#2 Aug 20, 2012
People like you make problems for today's society. You need to educate yourself more on public schools. The problem is that if you have a bad experience with a teacher it ruins it for everyone. Here's the solution~ if the people would support public education and understand the steps in supporting instead of bad mouthing we would have strong public schools. Please do us a favor and educate yourself it would help everyone :)
Naucious wrote:
This is PURE Bull Shit to put pressure on the legislature by the Public Teachers Unions. Anybody that would support funding of a public school needs their heads examined. Public Schools are FAILING our children so let the System FAIL.

Since: Jul 12

Oklahoma City, OK

#3 Aug 20, 2012
concerned citizen wrote:
People like you make problems for today's society. You need to educate yourself more on public schools. The problem is that if you have a bad experience with a teacher it ruins it for everyone. Here's the solution~ if the people would support public education and understand the steps in supporting instead of bad mouthing we would have strong public schools. Please do us a favor and educate yourself it would help everyone :)
<quoted text>
Public schools are very politically inclined to pressure students into a monetized education with less-than-realistic academic standards. I was educated in Jenks High School, where I discovered that my education was more fruitful if I established it myself. That's pretty sad, even by a low-grade school's standards.
MistyGirl

Springdale, AR

#4 Aug 20, 2012
DistinctlyOK wrote:
<quoted text>
Public schools are very politically inclined to pressure students into a monetized education with less-than-realistic academic standards. I was educated in Jenks High School, where I discovered that my education was more fruitful if I established it myself. That's pretty sad, even by a low-grade school's standards.
Let's examine the issue more closely shall we? Public schools are supposed to be political party neutral and religious affliation neutral...neither are true. Schools are beholden to unions which represent the teacher's best interest not that of the student. Legislation I've seen pushed was for monies to be allocated which improve the financial standards of the teachers while tacking on a favorite project that may be needed in a particular school. Is this always the case the answer is no, but I've seen this come around many many times before. Need improvements on classrooms/labs and it will have some additional wording to fund teachers personal salaries to be the same as surrounding states or national averages or some other wording. Even to the point that teacher's salaries are untouchable and will be funded whether police,firefighters or other necessary entities get one cent of funding. One would have thought the legislation was written by the teacher's unions and then submitted to the state for passage.

I personally know of multiple instances where a political party was promoted in hopes that party's respresenting individual would be elected and then legislation could be submitted for additional funding toward teacher's salaries. I'd rather salaries were based on performance instead of "hey you show up to work today so here's your raise"...

...but that's my opinion.

Since: Jul 12

Oklahoma City, OK

#5 Aug 20, 2012
MistyGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's examine the issue more closely shall we? Public schools are supposed to be political party neutral and religious affliation neutral...neither are true. Schools are beholden to unions which represent the teacher's best interest not that of the student. Legislation I've seen pushed was for monies to be allocated which improve the financial standards of the teachers while tacking on a favorite project that may be needed in a particular school. Is this always the case the answer is no, but I've seen this come around many many times before. Need improvements on classrooms/labs and it will have some additional wording to fund teachers personal salaries to be the same as surrounding states or national averages or some other wording. Even to the point that teacher's salaries are untouchable and will be funded whether police,firefighters or other necessary entities get one cent of funding. One would have thought the legislation was written by the teacher's unions and then submitted to the state for passage.
I personally know of multiple instances where a political party was promoted in hopes that party's respresenting individual would be elected and then legislation could be submitted for additional funding toward teacher's salaries. I'd rather salaries were based on performance instead of "hey you show up to work today so here's your raise"...
Yes, this is closer than I'd like to re-live.
concerned citizen

Sallisaw, OK

#6 Aug 20, 2012
The new TLE ~ Teacher Leader Effectiveness ~ tool will evaluate teachers and administrators more closely. In the past we evaluated teachers as MC~meet criteria or NI~ needs improvement. The new evaluation tool has a ranking 1-5. 1 being needs improvement to 3 being effective and 5 being superior. There's lots of changes in education in oklahoma which is moving towards the positive. Students are now being taught with the Common Core State Standards which results in that if a student moves to another state they will be tested on the same standards. We need to be proactive instead of reactive. We can change the way education is going if we look at it in a positive way.
MistyGirl wrote:
<quoted text>Let's examine the issue more closely shall we? Public schools are supposed to be political party neutral and religious affliation neutral...neither are true. Schools are beholden to unions which represent the teacher's best interest not that of the student. Legislation I've seen pushed was for monies to be allocated which improve the financial standards of the teachers while tacking on a favorite project that may be needed in a particular school. Is this always the case the answer is no, but I've seen this come around many many times before. Need improvements on classrooms/labs and it will have some additional wording to fund teachers personal salaries to be the same as surrounding states or national averages or some other wording. Even to the point that teacher's salaries are untouchable and will be funded whether police,firefighters or other necessary entities get one cent of funding. One would have thought the legislation was written by the teacher's unions and then submitted to the state for passage.

stability

Kenner, LA

#7 Aug 20, 2012
Who sends their children to public schools these days? Take a look at the communal public education/state-run public schools of the Gulf South. It's a matter of time until Midwestern people catch on with the changing demographics soon to engulf their region and avoid the public schools like the plagues they are.

Public schools force the few talented and disciplined students into associating with meidocrity. It's a race to the bottom, but many still like to call it "democracy" in American education. Many public schools in the southwest are coerced into trading away valuable classroom time to accomodate bilingual students with undocumented parents back home. Why should any student who was born in this country be negated classroom time and efficiency in exchange for accomodation, for example?

Let all these statist-run institutions and social programs collapse from within via their own enforced mediocrity. They deserve it. Also, this would encourage the deadbeat parents who raise their children incorrectly to make the proper corrections and become functional by simply negating their public dumping grounds known as public schools.

Why should generational poverty and welfare continue when eliminating the social safety nets would adjust these parents naturally?
teach

Sallisaw, OK

#8 Aug 22, 2012
stability wrote:
Who sends their children to public schools these days? Take a look at the communal public education/state-run public schools of the Gulf South. It's a matter of time until Midwestern people catch on with the changing demographics soon to engulf their region and avoid the public schools like the plagues they are.

Public schools force the few talented and disciplined students into associating with meidocrity. It's a race to the bottom, but many still like to call it "democracy" in American education. Many public schools in the southwest are coerced into trading away valuable classroom time to accomodate bilingual students with undocumented parents back home. Why should any student who was born in this country be negated classroom time and efficiency in exchange for accomodation, for example?

Let all these statist-run institutions and social programs collapse from within via their own enforced mediocrity. They deserve it. Also, this would encourage the deadbeat parents who raise their children incorrectly to make the proper corrections and become functional by simply negating their public dumping grounds known as public schools.

Why should generational poverty and welfare continue when eliminating the social safety nets would adjust these parents naturally?
What an elitist you are. I haven't the resources to send my children anywhere but public school.#1, I have four; #2, there isn't an alternative within an hour from home; #3, this is a two income home and meeting school and work timelines isn't possible; #4, gas is too expensive to drive both ways every day.

We should fix what we have. Teaching the child instead of the test would be a start.
Sis

Springdale, AR

#9 Aug 22, 2012
teach wrote:
<quoted text>
What an elitist you are. I haven't the resources to send my children anywhere but public school.#1, I have four; #2, there isn't an alternative within an hour from home; #3, this is a two income home and meeting school and work timelines isn't possible; #4, gas is too expensive to drive both ways every day.
We should fix what we have. Teaching the child instead of the test would be a start.
What do you think about the new federal rules where our kids are allowed only 800 calories a school day?

They aren't happy campers is what I hearing and that includes the
the lunch ladies, they don't like the new requirements and believe kids aren't getting what they need and they are having to throw food away.
teach

Euless, TX

#10 Aug 22, 2012
Sis wrote:
<quoted text>What do you think about the new federal rules where our kids are allowed only 800 calories a school day?

They aren't happy campers is what I hearing and that includes the
the lunch ladies, they don't like the new requirements and believe kids aren't getting what they need and they are having to throw food away.
I don't like it. I'm more concerned about what is being called a balanced diet than I am the calories though. As far as I'm concerned my kids can have fruits and vegetables without limit. And don't call ketchup any part of a food group. all we're doing by counting calories is teaching children to starve to obtain the perfect body.
Proud American

Sallisaw, OK

#11 Aug 22, 2012
Recently saw an interview with a teacher, from Michigan I believe, that was very upset with her local teacher's union. Seems the teacher doesn't like the fact that she only makes $50,000 a year and the president of the union makes $500,000. Add to that fact that the teacher has to pay $1,200 a year in union dues out of her salary. I would be pissed too !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oklahoma Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Doc: Inmate in botched execution died from IV Fri Del 4
News groups sue over Oklahoma execution procedures Aug 25 karlschneider 1
Lawsuit Filed Against Department Of Human Services (Feb '08) Aug 20 James pascoe 291
Man-Made Earthquakes Are Changing the Seismic L... Aug 14 Smile 3
Natl. Guard Unit Not Fed In Iraq? (Apr '08) Jul '14 Kristy Watson 27
Oklahoma's seven-quake weekend raises fracking ... Jul '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Okla. congressional candidate claims incumbent ... Jun '14 Eighthman 5
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Oklahoma Government People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••