Anti-Evolution Legislation in Alabama...

Anti-Evolution Legislation in Alabama, Oklahoma

There are 8 comments on the American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) story from Mar 13, 2012, titled Anti-Evolution Legislation in Alabama, Oklahoma. In it, American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) reports that:

Legislation that would allow the teaching of creationism in schools is moving forward in the Alabama and Oklahoma state legislatures.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS).

tired of it

Noble, OK

#1 Mar 13, 2012
Who in their right mind wants a monkey as an ancestor?
Even though there are alot of local,state and federal office holders that can be used to prove evolution.
labman57

Oakland, CA

#3 Mar 17, 2012
Evolution is a verifiable fact. It is the mechanism through which it occurs -- natural selection -- that comprises the theory.

People who do not understand how science works seem to think that a "theory" is somehow lacking in power and validity. Scientific theories are our best explanation for an event or phenomenon based on the available evidence, i.e., a theory tells us HOW it happens.  Theories have generally been subjected to rigorous testing and represent the consensus of the scientific community, whereas a hypothesis is a possible explanation for a specific observation and has not necessarily been extensively tested.

Calling something a theory does not cheapen or weaken it.  On the contrary, the term "theory" gives it legitimacy as something that is scientifically testable and that has been rigorously examined either mathematically or empirically to the point that the available evidence overwhelming supports it.

Quantum mechanics, special and general relativity, molecular kinetics -- all THEORIES!

Theories are based on the best empirical EVIDENCE available, not PROOF. There is an incredible wealth of evidence -- both geological and biochemical -- to support evolution by natural selection.

Creationism and ID are faith-based concepts. Their "evidence" consists of the allegories provided in the Bible, nothing more.

I actually have no problem with the idea of discussing the merits of Creationism or ID in the public school classroom. It would make a fine topic for discussion or debate in a social studies course on Religions in Society. But this topic has no business in a biology classroom, since science is based on verifiable evidence along with empirically and mathematically testable hypotheses, whereas religious beliefs are by definition faith-based.

bluestreak resurgent

“idol of millions”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#4 Mar 18, 2012
tired of it wrote:
Who in their right mind wants a monkey as an ancestor?
Well, ya know, Rational Tulsans does seem to have a rather simian bent!

bluestreak resurgent

“idol of millions”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#6 Mar 18, 2012
Ratiional Tulsaans wrote:
I am an intellectual Black man. But I talk to lots of trash garbage redneck anti intellectual right wing white trash in these threads.
And in person, you'd turn tail and run.
Ratiional Tulsaans wrote:
I have a Masters Degree from the University of Tulsa. My GPA was 3.5. I am superior, intellectually, to the white trash that I talk to in here. But you sir, I am impressed with.
You're no intellectual, you're just some ghetto trash with access to a modem.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#7 Mar 18, 2012
labman57 wrote:
Evolution is a verifiable fact. It is the mechanism through which it occurs -- natural selection -- that comprises the theory.
People who do not understand how science works seem to think that a "theory" is somehow lacking in power and validity. Scientific theories are our best explanation for an event or phenomenon based on the available evidence, i.e., a theory tells us HOW it happens.  Theories have generally been subjected to rigorous testing and represent the consensus of the scientific community, whereas a hypothesis is a possible explanation for a specific observation and has not necessarily been extensively tested.
Calling something a theory does not cheapen or weaken it.  On the contrary, the term "theory" gives it legitimacy as something that is scientifically testable and that has been rigorously examined either mathematically or empirically to the point that the available evidence overwhelming supports it.
Quantum mechanics, special and general relativity, molecular kinetics -- all THEORIES!
Theories are based on the best empirical EVIDENCE available, not PROOF. There is an incredible wealth of evidence -- both geological and biochemical -- to support evolution by natural selection.
Creationism and ID are faith-based concepts. Their "evidence" consists of the allegories provided in the Bible, nothing more.
I actually have no problem with the idea of discussing the merits of Creationism or ID in the public school classroom. It would make a fine topic for discussion or debate in a social studies course on Religions in Society. But this topic has no business in a biology classroom, since science is based on verifiable evidence along with empirically and mathematically testable hypotheses, whereas religious beliefs are by definition faith-based.
Theory is an educated guess,,,,,,,,nothing more.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#8 Mar 18, 2012
bluestreak resurgent wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, ya know, Rational Tulsans does seem to have a rather simian bent!
His uncle was named Cheeta.

bluestreak resurgent

“idol of millions”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#10 Mar 20, 2012
Ratiional Tulsaans wrote:
White boy hates the concept of evolution because it proves, more or less, that mankind developed in Africa.
No, it just proves that you have a simian bent.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#11 Mar 21, 2012
March 20, 2012
Obama debt hole deeper than George W. Bush's in less than half the time
AP
March 16, 2012: President Obama speaks during a 'Lawyers for Obama Luncheon' fundraiser at the Palmer House Hotel in Chicago.
March 20, 2012Tue, 20 Mar 2012 04:00:00 GMT11:03 PM EST

President Obama once asked a campaign crowd in 2008 what to do when you're trying to get out of a hole.

Uniformly, the crowd responded: stop digging.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oklahoma Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP Lawmakers Say Oklahoma Ban On Sharia Law Is... (Sep '10) Jun 9 Polygamy 5
News Oklahoma Legislature passes bill making it a fe... May '16 Three Days 9R 1
News Lawsuit Filed Against Department Of Human Services (Feb '08) Apr '16 Stacy 303
News Oklahoma Eyes Obamacare Funds, But Without Medi... Apr '16 Lucy jane 1
News Oklahoma 'probably is just about the worst' pla... Apr '16 Jenny Ann 1
News Oklahoma Tea Party Candidate Endorses Stoning Gays (Jun '14) Mar '16 Retired SOF 110
News In Our View: Taboo no more (Apr '06) Mar '16 Waylon 8
More from around the web