Unemployment Fraud in Oklahoma

Unemployment Fraud in Oklahoma

There are 395 comments on the Oklahoma Impact Team story from Mar 11, 2010, titled Unemployment Fraud in Oklahoma. In it, Oklahoma Impact Team reports that:

To collect unemployment benefits, jobless Oklahomans have to be actively searching for jobs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oklahoma Impact Team.

First Prev
of 20
Next Last
citizen

Tulsa, OK

#1 Mar 12, 2010
I've collected unemployment benefits. This roomate is just jealous. You can look for a job and not ever leave your house. After a while being told no wears on your nerves. Being on unemployment is not a life time occupation (unlike welfare or the over used expression, I'm a single Mom). Unemployment will end and you either find a job or the alternative. Find some other cause to rant about. Fraud is when you are working and still drawing unemployment.
Impactless

Tulsa, OK

#2 Mar 12, 2010
Every article I have read by the Oklahoma Impact team is about as well-written (and as well-researched) as the ones back in my Junior High school newsletter.
oustudent

Norman, OK

#3 Mar 12, 2010
2 things.

1. There are hundreds of fast food places or gas stations hiring. Swallow your pride and look here.

2. Whats wrong with giving the unemployed a state job to receive their unemployment. I know of several state buildings that need to be cleaned and miles of roads that could have trash picked up.

Just a thought.
oustudent

Norman, OK

#4 Mar 12, 2010
fast good places and gas stations are hiring.

I also think the state should give the people jobs instead of just giving unemployment. Picking up trash on the roadways, cleaning state buildings are two good ones for starters.
Tax Paying Citizen

Edmond, OK

#5 Mar 13, 2010
Like this is a big shocker! There ARE jobs out there along with a lot of folks who just don't want to work! I see hiring signs all around the city. I so agree with putting them to work for the State. Let them earn the unemployment checks! It would be a Win Win for all involved.
Concerned

Mcalester, OK

#6 Mar 13, 2010
For a system to help while times are hard. It would be bad to take advantage of a system like that. I draw unemployment and file online applications or phone call or go in person 3-4 times a week. That is not to much to ask,or at least I feel that way.
Concerned

Mcalester, OK

#7 Mar 13, 2010
oustudent wrote:
I also think the state should give the people jobs instead of just giving unemployment. Picking up trash on the roadways, cleaning state buildings are two good ones for starters.
That is absurd and degrading! You obviously have not been a victim of losing your house and or family due to the economic recession! This would NOT allow people to search for work that are honest with the system. You have police officers, fireman, teachers and so on. You are truly ridiculous to even say that. Besides. If the state would give a partial unemployment with their work ,one might be able to survive. I know several who would LOSE money if they went to work as their unemployment pays them more than what they would make. Should they be penalized for being in a career that paid them well enough that they qualifies for maximum benefits? No!
Concerned

Mcalester, OK

#8 Mar 13, 2010
Tax Paying Citizen wrote:
Like this is a big shocker! There ARE jobs out there along with a lot of folks who just don't want to work! I see hiring signs all around the city. I so agree with putting them to work for the State. Let them earn the unemployment checks! It would be a Win Win for all involved.
Then how would those who are honest , find the good paying jobs, Nimrod? You Obviously have not been on unemployment and have a recession proof job, otherwise you would not br making comments like this if you had: Depression, Hypertension,lost your home, family, all due to loss of job and the ability to NOT find another! I know not all are honest, but think before you speak. As a whole that is, Please!
Tax Paying Citizen

Edmond, OK

#9 Mar 13, 2010
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Then how would those who are honest , find the good paying jobs, Nimrod? You Obviously have not been on unemployment and have a recession proof job, otherwise you would not br making comments like this if you had: Depression, Hypertension,lost your home, family, all due to loss of job and the ability to NOT find another! I know not all are honest, but think before you speak. As a whole that is, Please!
I am not trying to be mean but yes I have been on unemployment back when I had to show proof that I went door to door looking for a job and had to take a job that I felt was much underneath me just to get by and at times 2 jobs. Many employers are most likely to hire someone who is working so to take a temp job while looking can help find a "better paying" job. The industry I am in now affords good pay and benefits and we still can't keep people working because they just don't want to. Tenacity pays off and can at least put food on one's table. Sometimes one has got to do what one has got to do. I pray that things get better for you soon.
Lost Mechanic

Sapulpa, OK

#10 Mar 13, 2010
So tell me people .WHERE ARE THE JOBS AT ? Been looking for a year .$20 an hour.
Lost Mechanic

Sapulpa, OK

#11 Mar 13, 2010
Nobody wants a 51 year old man.
Ralf The Dog

Oklahoma City, OK

#12 Mar 13, 2010
oustudent wrote:
I can see people being asked to do some community service while on unemployment. The amount of time doing this should be limited and it should be on weekends and/or at night when people are not looking for real jobs.

Many of the jobs that are currently hiring will not take someone with a good education. Try walking into Walmart with two PhDs and ask for a job. I have a good job and very little risk of losing it. If I were to lose my job, I have a list of very interesting things I could do. I do feel for those who have lost their jobs or are at risk.
Unemployed

Tulsa, OK

#13 Mar 13, 2010
Tax Paying Citizen wrote:
You are right, there are jobs out there, professional jobs. But what people don't seem to understand is that you can't just switch from one profession to another one just by applying for a job you are unqualified for or overqualified for.

Telling people to go work at a gas station or go flip burgers is pointless. Even if a person is willing to do that kind of work, that doesn't mean they are going to get hired. You can't just walk into an employer's office and demand to be hired.

It amazes me that some people think that anyone can just snap their fingers and immediately get hired for a job. It doesn't work that way. I personally hope that every insensitive employed person loses their job so they will finally take off their rose colored glasses and understand what those of us who are unemployed are facing.
Judy

AOL

#14 Mar 14, 2010
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
That is absurd and degrading! You obviously have not been a victim of losing your house and or family due to the economic recession! This would NOT allow people to search for work that are honest with the system. You have police officers, fireman, teachers and so on. You are truly ridiculous to even say that. Besides. If the state would give a partial unemployment with their work ,one might be able to survive. I know several who would LOSE money if they went to work as their unemployment pays them more than what they would make. Should they be penalized for being in a career that paid them well enough that they qualifies for maximum benefits? No!
You just said what the problem is. Some people stay on unemployment because they get more money on unemployment than if they went out and got a job! That is exactly what is wrong with the system. I do not care what kind of a job they had before. Things change. Many of the old jobs are never coming back. They need to go get a job. Any job and take responsibility for themselves. There are statistics that show that when peoples benefits are ready to run out they get a job either the week before or within one week after. So extending the unemployment benefits just extends unemployment. How long are the taxpayers going to have to support these people? And it is the taxpayers if they are on the extended benefits. Nobody owes these unemployed a check for life. There is also a thought out there that after the first benefits run out the extended benefits should have to be paid back. I like that idea. Why shouldn't they have to pay it back?
pissed off

Oklahoma City, OK

#15 Mar 14, 2010
unemployement is money thats theirs. it not what taxpayer pay its what they have paid so for you to comment on them collecting money owed to them you need to stop.
kris agrawal

United States

#16 Mar 14, 2010
Lost Mechanic wrote:
So tell me people .WHERE ARE THE JOBS AT ? Been looking for a year .$20 an hour.
There are plenty of jobs for mechanics, oil field workers, fitters, and honest non drunk workers, your problem is $20/hr which is $10/hr too much. we have lots of jobs can't fill.
Unemployed

Tulsa, OK

#17 Mar 14, 2010
kris agrawal wrote:
<quoted text>
There are plenty of jobs for mechanics, oil field workers, fitters, and honest non drunk workers, your problem is $20/hr which is $10/hr too much. we have lots of jobs can't fill.
The reason you can't fill them is they don't pay a decent wage. You can't live comfortably on $10/hr. Some of the these tight wad small business owners should try living on the meager wages they expect others to work for.
WTF

Collinsville, OK

#18 Mar 14, 2010
Judy wrote:
<quoted text>You just said what the problem is. Some people stay on unemployment because they get more money on unemployment than if they went out and got a job! That is exactly what is wrong with the system. I do not care what kind of a job they had before. Things change. Many of the old jobs are never coming back. They need to go get a job. Any job and take responsibility for themselves. There are statistics that show that when peoples benefits are ready to run out they get a job either the week before or within one week after. So extending the unemployment benefits just extends unemployment. How long are the taxpayers going to have to support these people? And it is the taxpayers if they are on the extended benefits. Nobody owes these unemployed a check for life. There is also a thought out there that after the first benefits run out the extended benefits should have to be paid back. I like that idea. Why shouldn't they have to pay it back?
Oh boy, the old crow is BACK with her dipshit opinion. You old bag, go get a job and live on the $10 an hour (IF you are lucky and IF you get hired.....) Try buying a house NOW, not from 1962, add that and kids and a car..........you dumbass.... you would never make it. Stop passing judgement on your payed off in 1972 throne and get with the times.....NOBODY owes you because you got it together.....
Tax Paying Citizen

Edmond, OK

#19 Mar 14, 2010
Today's Daily Oklahoman speaks of numerous job fairs, including one at AAA Contact Center (they have had numerous fairs lately) and on Friday there is an Oklahoma Employment Commission Job Fair at the Bricktown Coca-Cola Event Center. Today's classified is full of job ads. I have been there more than once and still believe it is easier to find a job when you have a job...possibilities exist that if you take a job at $10 it is easier to find one that pays $20.
Ralf The Dog

Oklahoma City, OK

#20 Mar 14, 2010
If a qualified skilled person applies for a $10 an hour job, no person in their right mind will hire them.(If they do, the person who hired them should be fired.) It takes resources to train a new worker. If the worker can count to 10 with their hands in their pockets, they will jump ship over to the next company when they get an offer.

$10 per hour is for kids in high school (not the bright ones), severely mentally disadvantaged people and people who can't stop drinking long enough to drive to work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oklahoma Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Oklahoma 'Right to Farm' proposal voted down Nov 9 greenacres 1
News Oklahoma Voters On The Sidelines This President... Oct '16 Alvin Boss 2
News Okla. voters are on the sidelines this presiden... Oct '16 PussyGrabsBack 12
News Federal agency sues Oklahoma 7-Eleven stores ov... Oct '16 NbSissy 1
News Oklahoma Physician, Hospital Settle Fraud Case ... (Jun '12) Oct '16 Harmon County 21
News Officials discover 'escape hatch' at Oklahoma h... Sep '16 Dr Wu 5
News USGS investigating whether underground wastewat... Sep '16 fubar 3
More from around the web