Medical Marijuana Debate Heats Up | O...

Medical Marijuana Debate Heats Up | Ohio News Network (ONN)

There are 87 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Apr 7, 2010, titled Medical Marijuana Debate Heats Up | Ohio News Network (ONN). In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

Once again, the medical marijuana was taking center stage in Ohio on Wednesday. "Multiple congenital cartilaginous exostoses," said Mary Jane Borden.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
dave

Tiffin, OH

#1 Apr 7, 2010
People that support medical marijuana like to get high. No other reason. This is so dumb. Let people grow pot. So who will be checking to see if they are legally allowed to be growing it? The police? I think they have enough to check on with illegal pot.
BJI

Dublin, OH

#3 Apr 8, 2010
come on dave...are you the same person that sits back and watches these kids die from taking prescription medications? It is crazy at all the people who dont want marijuana legalized, so much good can come from it yet we just sit back and allow doctors to keep prescribing dangerous narcotics that usually end in death......lets not forget to mention all the money legalization will bring to the state of Ohio....

there are tons of factors that need to be ironed out...but I for one would rather see them ironed out than see another teenager die from a overdose of a drug that HIS doctor prescribed him.

watch the tv ads, darn near every medication nowadays has a side effect of death....yet we keep pushing them on every person with a headache, muscle ache, cramps, depression....lets start looking at other options.
Ohio Man

United States

#4 Apr 8, 2010
No Thank , The State of OHIO suppose vote say NO ,
Thank You
BJI

Dublin, OH

#5 Apr 8, 2010
wow.....I dont consider myself highly educated but I do make sure to spend a great deal of time on all things involved with my local and state govt....and if there is anything that this state needs, it is more money.......and doctors are already acting as drug dealers....they push any and all medications they can that the drug companies offer kick backs from......please, all I ask of all who oppose this bill, is to research all your questions....then research those same questions and compare them to oxycontin, xanax, ADHD drugs......it amazes me how many people are saying no just to be saying no without a true opinion on this matter...

“Can't we all just get along? ”

Since: Dec 09

Home is where you make it.

#6 Apr 8, 2010
BJI wrote:
wow.....I dont consider myself highly educated but I do make sure to spend a great deal of time on all things involved with my local and state govt....and if there is anything that this state needs, it is more money.......and doctors are already acting as drug dealers....they push any and all medications they can that the drug companies offer kick backs from......please, all I ask of all who oppose this bill, is to research all your questions....then research those same questions and compare them to oxycontin, xanax, ADHD drugs......it amazes me how many people are saying no just to be saying no without a true opinion on this matter...
I am going to somewhat agree with you. Although I do not agree with any mind altering drugs legal or not I cannot say weed is more dangerous than some legal drugs. I have never heard of anyone over dosing on weed or having tendencies to bring violence out in people like alcohol.

If it were up to me, weed needs to be legal as long as alcohol and prescription mind altering drugs are. I myself would not allow any of it. But I will say it again...weed is a less evil in my opinion.

I smoked for years and I get sick when I am around the smoke. I do not like being high. I have more responsibilities that are more important and need attention.

I would have no problem legalizing it for medical uses but I think it sends the wrong message. There is too much room for abuse.

I know that this may not be popular thinking but I do not believe that most people "smoke it anyway." That may be true where I come from but it does not represent the whole population.

If it were to go to a ballad, the anarchist in me say I would vote yes. I think the whole government and all these retard laws need to start over from scratch. The best way to do that is to legalize all drugs including heroin. Demand real change and not just band-aides. But the responsible father in me just wants peace and a safe neighborhood to raise my kids in. Allowing something like this that could easily be abused just like drugs like oxycontin is just not responsible. That side of me would vote NO. Why add to the insanity?
Sick Single Mom

Cleveland, OH

#7 Apr 8, 2010
I almost died because of the drugs that the doctors were giving me for my nerve condition. I went into respiratory arrest three times, and cardiac arrest once. I cannot take those legal, so-called safe drugs. I found that cannabis helps, where nothing else would. Believe me, the use of this medication is not tken lightly by alot of people that need it. When there is no other alternative left, it is unhumane to let people suffer. I hope they pass this bill and let those kinds of medical decisions be made by the experts. I am now prescribed a synthetic, legal version of THC, and it does not work as well. The prescription sometimes leave me feeling "stoned". If I wanted to feel like that, I would go back on the vicodin 15/80's I was prescribed for years. I took myself off of those medications. My doctor went to hand me my monthly prescription, and I handed it back. I informed them that I weaned myself off, and no longer needed them.
What I want and NEED, is to work, raise my child, care for my home and pets. I NEED to be able to get up in the morning and not be put back into a wheelchair. I NEED to be able to do things with my child, like paint and hide eggs for easter. I NEED to be able to have some sort of security to raise my child in a stable household. I NEED to follow my doctors' orders, and be as healthy as I am able. If that happens to include a medication, like marijuana, then that is what I will be taking.
bill

Columbus, OH

#8 Apr 8, 2010
i am sick and im going to died im in pain and i cant eat i dont smoke pot i take oxycontin im prescribed 120 mg a day the pain is still there im just so out of it i dont notice is i throw up from the pain i throw up from the pills if marijuana will help me die in peace ill smoke it i just dont want to die in prison i have to lay here while my little girls watch their father die if it could be easier on me whats the issue i hope you think of my baby girls when you oppose this thank you of taking time to hear a second of my story
Put it to a Vote

Columbus, OH

#9 Apr 8, 2010
The story said a poll shows 73 percent of Ohioans favor marijuana for medical purposes. I'm tired of these self-appointed church ladies from telling me what my family can do when cancer is causing chronic pain. Put it to a vote. That's the way to do it. And we'll see if rational people prevail or the wacko religious right.
hippie73

Hilliard, OH

#10 Apr 8, 2010
I am in pain everyday of my life, however I do not need a stronger prescription than I already have. It isn't much of one, but it still leaves me lightheaded. I feel marijuana should be used to help ease the pain caused by many conditions. Pick it up at a pharmacy like any other prescription med.
R U SERIOUS

Columbus, OH

#11 Apr 8, 2010
Fire-and-Ice wrote:
<quoted text>
If it were to go to a ballad, the anarchist in me say I would vote yes.
Ok.. not trying to be an arse or anything but sweetie, the word is ballot. Ballad is a love song.

But anywho. f.y.i.
yea no

Columbus, OH

#12 Apr 8, 2010
Sick Single Mom wrote:
I almost died because of the drugs that the doctors were giving me for my nerve condition. I went into respiratory arrest three times, and cardiac arrest once. I cannot take those legal, so-called safe drugs. I found that cannabis helps, where nothing else would. Believe me, the use of this medication is not tken lightly by alot of people that need it. When there is no other alternative left, it is unhumane to let people suffer. I hope they pass this bill and let those kinds of medical decisions be made by the experts. I am now prescribed a synthetic, legal version of THC, and it does not work as well. The prescription sometimes leave me feeling "stoned". If I wanted to feel like that, I would go back on the vicodin 15/80's I was prescribed for years. I took myself off of those medications. My doctor went to hand me my monthly prescription, and I handed it back. I informed them that I weaned myself off, and no longer needed them.
What I want and NEED, is to work, raise my child, care for my home and pets. I NEED to be able to get up in the morning and not be put back into a wheelchair. I NEED to be able to do things with my child, like paint and hide eggs for easter. I NEED to be able to have some sort of security to raise my child in a stable household. I NEED to follow my doctors' orders, and be as healthy as I am able. If that happens to include a medication, like marijuana, then that is what I will be taking.
Respiratory arrest, eh? If that's true, I sure hope you aren't SMOKING the pot.
R U SERIOUS

Columbus, OH

#13 Apr 8, 2010
Ok... I wholeheartedly believe that marijuanna is a great way to ease pain, give an appetite to those suffering with illness that rob them the pleasure to enjoy food and sustain themselves healthily. It is those people that want to take it to another level that I have a problem with; selling to kids, in front of schools, churchs, etc., tainting the weed with chemicals to speed up growth so the natural effects are affected.
Just look at Amsterdam. I know their crime rates are no where near ours in America. Why? Everyone is relaxed!!!

Is it 420 yet? got smoke?(lol)
spade

Columbus, OH

#14 Apr 8, 2010
When it comes to this fight, people need to stop with the BS and call a spade a spade. A very small percentage of the population is all that would benefit from this being legal. A slightly larger, but still small percentage would be compassionate enough to those people to support it as well. The large numbers that are represented in your polls? That's your stoners, who masquerade behind compassion but really only want to get high. Maybe if they chilled out long enough and stopped being paranoid, they can use those numbers to decriminalize it completely instead of putting on this front like they care so much about cancer patients and other people that kinda-sorta benefit from it. But since smoking pot lowers your sperm count, I doubt their balls will ever really be big enough.

Oh, and on the other side of the fight, especially LEOs? They want that money from the government for putting away "dangerous" stoners (yes, it's in quotes since there is nothing dangerous about them) and because they wouldn't be able to confiscate it and resell it anymore. So much BS on both sides I really would just rather avoid this one until people grow a pair and own up.
R U SERIOUS

Columbus, OH

#15 Apr 8, 2010
yea no wrote:
<quoted text>
Respiratory arrest, eh? If that's true, I sure hope you aren't SMOKING the pot.
I think you may have misunderstood what they were saying. The meds that they WERE on is what gave them the respiratory and cardiac arrest(s); not smoking weed.

And who still calls it "pot"? Refer anyone? how 'bout grass?
oh boy

Chesterland, OH

#16 Apr 8, 2010
Just smoke it and love someone. Who cares. Pot smokers don't kill people,Drunks, Crackheads and Heroin addicts do.
Fandango

Westerville, OH

#17 Apr 8, 2010
Ohio Man wrote:
No Thank , The State of OHIO suppose vote say NO ,
Thank You
What? I can't even begin to guess what you are saying. My head is beginning to hurt. You must be medicating on prescription drugs.
rce

Columbus, OH

#18 Apr 8, 2010
It's amazing how brainwashed people are. There is nothing more toxic, addictive and destructive to the human body than big pharmas drugs. They are ALL synthetic and foreign to the body. Hemp can be abused but it can be used as a natural medicine and the body can process it without the extreme toxicity. Pharma has most of the population thinking their toxic junk is safe. People need to do research before they back that big pharma poison.
Reciprocity

Columbus, OH

#19 Apr 8, 2010
If God growed it in the ground, He wanted you to have it....

Dr. Cheech..Dr Chong...calling Dr. Chong
Rachelle

Omaha, NE

#20 Apr 8, 2010
BJI wrote:
come on dave...are you the same person that sits back and watches these kids die from taking prescription medications? It is crazy at all the people who dont want marijuana legalized, so much good can come from it yet we just sit back and allow doctors to keep prescribing dangerous narcotics that usually end in death......lets not forget to mention all the money legalization will bring to the state of Ohio....
there are tons of factors that need to be ironed out...but I for one would rather see them ironed out than see another teenager die from a overdose of a drug that HIS doctor prescribed him.
watch the tv ads, darn near every medication nowadays has a side effect of death....yet we keep pushing them on every person with a headache, muscle ache, cramps, depression....lets start looking at other options.
I am sure "HIS" doctor did not write the prescription that said to take an entire bottle of drugs until death, now did he? These pro-arguments are being more irrational everyday.
BJI

Dublin, OH

#21 Apr 9, 2010
Rachelle wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure "HIS" doctor did not write the prescription that said to take an entire bottle of drugs until death, now did he? These pro-arguments are being more irrational everyday.
no HIS doctor did not want him to take a whole bottle.....but if the bottle did not exist in the 1st place??.....Rachelle, are you on any pharmaceuticals right now? asprin? bayer? Nyquil? dayquil? These are all put here by big pharma....these will kill you as well yet we all somehow seem to think they are safe and ok to give to our kids...People like you Rachelle are the ones that need reached....you think we are being irrational, yet in my opinion I bet you have taken more harmful drugs than any of us....and you probably bought them at wal-mart....please put your email in your next response and I will gladly send you a list called granny storm crows list....its a list of all medical studies and articles done on medical marijuana.....some studies did not turn out in our favor...but most did. and its public record. I will also send you a U.S. Govt patent # showing you where a patent was purchased over the medical use of THC....I will also show you where a govt researcher who worked for our US govt faked thousands of studies...thousands....faked having patients....was paid millions by phizer to do this, then got a slap on the wrist.

Point is, this stuff is all out there for people like you to go research, but most choose to read the paper, or listen to what 10tv spews to you.....they are only reporting what they want you to hear...get our there and research.....So many studies out there funded by local universities that prove Marijuana could help in so many diseases.....it is a crying shame.

The ball is in your court Rachelle, put your email up and give me the chance to change your mind. Whats the worse that could happen? You might learn something.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ohio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Smokers crossing state line to light up (Jun '07) Aug 2 Chuck 782
News Transit officials: Officer uses pepper spray on... Aug 1 goonsquad 22
News Undocumented Immigrants Beg Ohio Governor To Pr... Jul 30 goonsquad 16
News Ohio shooting sparks discussion on police-commu... Jul 30 Go Blue Forever 1
News House lawmaker files motion to oust Boehner Jul 29 xxxrayted 4
News New Hindu temple planned to accommodate growing... Jul 25 Shock and Awe 7
Hillary to speak at Indian counsel meeting in Iowa Jul 25 Amy 1
More from around the web