Stunner: Sen. Rob Portman backs same-sex marriage

Mar 15, 2013 Full story: cbsnews.com 243

The Ohio Republican informed reporters from several newspapers in his home state of his reversal, which The Columbus Dispatch calls "stunning." Portman told The Cincinnati Enquirer his evolution on the subject began in 2011 when his son, Will, then a freshman at Yale University, told his parents he was gay.

Full Story
First Prev
of 13
Next Last
No To Tinkerbell Marriage

Southampton, NY

#1 Mar 15, 2013
Gutless. There is no so called "gay" gene. Being "gay" is a choice. Like becoming a Democrat. Go become one now.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#2 Mar 15, 2013
No To Tinkerbell Marriage wrote:
Gutless. There is no so called "gay" gene. Being "gay" is a choice. Like becoming a Democrat. Go become one now.
When did you 'choose' to be a gay democrat?

“Moderately yours....”

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#3 Mar 15, 2013
At what age was that you chose to be heterosexual, assuming that you are?
I don't ever recall choosing to be straight, it was just kind of natural.
Just like being attracted to women with dark hair as opposed to blondes I don't recall ever having chosen that.
I suspect the reasons we 'choose' these things is complex and varies from person to person.
I suppose if you have a simplistic mind you could dismiss it all as choice, alone.

Next question is why bother opposing gay marriage.
Bruce and Bill getting married doesn't affect me in any way.
You are choosing to allow it to affect you.
Sterkfontein Swartkrans

Pennington, NJ

#4 Mar 15, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
At what age was that you chose to be heterosexual, assuming that you are?
I don't ever recall choosing to be straight, it was just kind of natural.
Just like being attracted to women with dark hair as opposed to blondes I don't recall ever having chosen that.
I suspect the reasons we 'choose' these things is complex and varies from person to person.
I suppose if you have a simplistic mind you could dismiss it all as choice, alone.
Next question is why bother opposing gay marriage.
Bruce and Bill getting married doesn't affect me in any way.
You are choosing to allow it to affect you.
Good comment! I can't understand why some people get so upset about something that is unlikely to affect them!
No To Tinkerbell Marriage

Southampton, NY

#5 Mar 15, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
When did you 'choose' to be a gay democrat?
Why don't you and "Buffalo Bullsiht" choose to go on a cruise together. Choose Carnival Lines. They've been sticking it up the as s to their passengers lately. You should both enjoy it.

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

#6 Mar 15, 2013
<quoted text>Why don't you and "Buffalo Bullsiht" choose to go on a cruise together. Choose Carnival Lines. They've been sticking it up the as s to their passengers lately. You should both enjoy it.
There you go again...
Obsessing about homosexual acts.
You are choosing to allow them to upset you.

Tell me seriously.
How does Bruce and Bill getting married threaten you?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#7 Mar 15, 2013
Not at all suprising, but still very welcome.

Just goes to show it's a lot harder to support discrimination against those you love, which is why it's so important for EVERYONE to come out to their family & friends & coworkers.

Now let's get Ohio's constitutional ban overturned!!

Since: Mar 08

Allentown, PA

#9 Mar 15, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me seriously.
How does Bruce and Bill getting married threaten you?
I do not think most people see homosexuality as "natural".
I think the underlying issue is forcing people to accept homosexuality as natural.

“Moderately yours....”

Buffalo, NY

#10 Mar 15, 2013
LookingToEscape wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the underlying issue is forcing people to accept homosexuality as natural.
OK now i can see your misunderstanding.
You , the church you attend can consider homosexuality to be a sin, no problem.
But if an American citizen has not been convicted of a crime or been ruled by a court to be mentally incompetent, then the US gov't has no business restricting that individuals access to any benefit of gov't that all other citizens are eligible to receive.
Now look at it as a purely libertarian question. Why would you give Gov't the power to selectively endorse citizens lives
I can understand you desire to elevate Christian marriage and you still could by allowing equal marriages, a civil marriage. And a Christian marriage, recognized by Gov't as a separate but equal state.

As a constitutional question there is no allowing an unequal standing for law abiding persons
Melvin

Oklahoma City, OK

#11 Mar 15, 2013
WTF, His son turns queer and now he supports same-sex marriage, I say vote the gaytard out of office!!!

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Mar 15, 2013
LookingToEscape wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the underlying issue is forcing people to accept that same-sex couples have the same right to marry as any other couple.

Allentown, PA

#13 Mar 15, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
OK now i can see your misunderstanding.
You , the church you attend can consider homosexuality to be a sin, no problem.
But if an American citizen has not been convicted of a crime or been ruled by a court to be mentally incompetent, then the US gov't has no business restricting that individuals access to any benefit of gov't that all other citizens are eligible to receive.
Now look at it as a purely libertarian question. Why would you give Gov't the power to selectively endorse citizens lives
I can understand you desire to elevate Christian marriage and you still could by allowing equal marriages, a civil marriage. And a Christian marriage, recognized by Gov't as a separate but equal state.
As a constitutional question there is no allowing an unequal standing for law abiding persons
The issue is government forcing people to like something they do not like.
Your attempt to throw religion into it is a way of blurring up the issue, not to mention the false assumption people dislike homosexuality just because of religion.
In a libertarian society, you do not have to accept what you do not like.

Since: Mar 11

Minnesota's North Coast

#14 Mar 15, 2013
LookingToEscape wrote:
<quoted text>
Your attempt to throw religion into it is a way of blurring up the issue, not to mention the false assumption people dislike homosexuality just because of religion.
No. no-one is making you like anything.

just like the civil rights laws didn't make racial bigots like black people, it just prevented them from acting on that hatred in a way that abrogated other's rights.
that all the SSM issue is about.

Allentown, PA

#15 Mar 15, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>No. no-one is making you like anything.
just like the civil rights laws didn't make racial bigots like black people, it just prevented them from acting on that hatred in a way that abrogated other's rights.
that all the SSM issue is about.
You're not very well read, are you?

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Since: Jan 12

Take a Looonng Vacation

#16 Mar 15, 2013
Nice job, Rob! I agree with you, but you DO realize you've just signed away any chance of the President/VP job forever, right?

Heh

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#17 Mar 15, 2013
Please list your qualifications as an expert in any of the following areas:

Genetics
Psychology
Gay Issues
Politics

Thanks..

“Stop the Brain Rot”

Take a Looonng Vacation

#18 Mar 15, 2013
<quoted text>Why don't you and "Buffalo Bullsiht" choose to go on a cruise together. Choose Carnival Lines. They've been sticking it up the as s to their passengers lately. You should both enjoy it.
You sound defensive. Does that mean you ARE a closeted gay man, and don't want to talk about it?:)
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#19 Mar 15, 2013
He's a fraud with no convictions and the conscience of a dead man.

Portman was all for denying American Citizens equal protections under the law because of their sexual orientation until the chickens came home to roost.

If not for his Gay Children being written out of Constitutional protections, Portman was more than willing and promoting the orchestrating of federal legislation to limit the rights of American Citizenship on certain of his neighbors and constituents in Ohio and throughout America.

Tawas City, Michigan

#20 Mar 15, 2013
LookingToEscape wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, nowhere in the marriage laws does it say you have to "like" it.

You can hate it to your heart's content, but you can't discriminate against someone based on your hatred.

Just as I can't discriminate against catholics in spite of my utter hatred for them.

Tawas City, Michigan

#21 Mar 15, 2013
LookingToEscape wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not very well read, are you?
The please post a link to a story of anyone being forced to "like" married same-sex couples.

We'll wait.......

Remember, not a story where they aren't allowed to discriminate against a married same-sex couple, but where they are forced to "like" it.

That is what you claimed; that people are being forced to "like something".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ohio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Propsed sales tax increase worries border counties 12 hr Joe Jared 3
Gambling in Ohio Must Be Done Responsibly (Feb '12) Mar 2 Brice N Livingston 19
5 Most Controversial Presidential Elections in ... Mar 2 meximan 1
Kasich Draws Tea Party Challenger in Ohio (Jan '14) Mar 2 swedenforever 38
Republicans prepare to pass Homeland Security f... Feb 27 John McCharlie 3
Congress OKs deal to avoid shutdown at Homeland... Feb 27 Russ 1
Exclusive: Local bankers emerge as Fed ally in ... Feb 24 Cordwainer Trout 6
More from around the web