Is 2014 the year for gay marriage in ...

Is 2014 the year for gay marriage in Ohio?

There are 1159 comments on the The Marion Star story from Mar 1, 2014, titled Is 2014 the year for gay marriage in Ohio?. In it, The Marion Star reports that:

Robert Johnson-Keeton grew up in a religious community just outside Chillicothe.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Marion Star.

Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

#966 Mar 26, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Control freak. Can't do for himself without his mommy government. You're nappy's full, tell your mommy to change it.
Again, in your addled and childish replies you are not talking about me or about just lgbt rights.

The law has been clear for decades that business owners do not have some right to discriminate against customer groups just on the basis of being owners of the business.

So go direct your "arguments" to every politician since 1964 who supports the Civil Rights Act, you fool.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#967 Mar 26, 2014
Fundies R Mentally Nil wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe he's a "libertarian" openly saying that that should be a business owner's right [sic].
I have surmised that he himself wants those sorts of segregated facilities,
It's not a matter of what I want, it's a matter of what the OWNER wants. Just as in my opinion, even though I don't smoke, the OWNER should be allowed to allow smoking on his PROPERTY. If you don't like smoke, don't eat there. If the owner loses enough business, he'll have to decide whether or not he might want to change his policy.
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

#968 Mar 26, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a matter of what I want, it's a matter of what the OWNER wants. Just as in my opinion, even though I don't smoke, the OWNER should be allowed to allow smoking on his PROPERTY. If you don't like smoke, don't eat there. If the owner loses enough business, he'll have to decide whether or not he might want to change his policy.
Right, I understand this is your "reasoning" as to why you are not pining for the days of jim crow. Your claim, at any rate.

However, we bar slave ownership (not very effectively) not because of what the owner of the individual does or does not want, but because we don't like that sort of invidious discrimination.

The entire legislative and judicial superstructure since 1964 has determined there is a governmental interest in barring discrimination in places of public accommodations on the basis of certain (an expanding number) traits.

Your silly, outlier, libertarian-crazy arguments need not be directed at those in an lgbt thread - though you're probably particularly fixated against homosexuals - they need to be directed at the entire political superstructure. You're not making an "argument" that really pertains to the glbt and ally community. You're making a wider "argument."

Get crackkkin'. Good luck.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#969 Mar 26, 2014
Fundies R Mentally Nil wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, I understand this is your "reasoning" as to why you are not pining for the days of jim crow. Your claim, at any rate.
However, we bar slave ownership (not very effectively) not because of what the owner of the individual does or does not want, but because we don't like that sort of invidious discrimination.

The reason slavery is wrong has nothing to do with discrimination (there were white slaves, and black slavers). It is wrong because it violates one of the most basic human rights. The right to be free. That's all I want for anyone. Unless you are demonstrably harming someone,or violating a superior right of another, you should be allowed to do as you please. Property rights are superior to most others in most circumstances. Your right to travel freely, for example, is inferior to my right to keep trespassers off my property.

[QUOTE]The entire legislative and judicial superstructure since 1964 has determined there is a governmental interest in barring discrimination in places of public accommodations on the basis of certain (an expanding number) traits.
Incorrectly in my opinion. Especially when it conflicts with property rights.
Your silly, outlier, libertarian-crazy arguments need not be directed at those in an lgbt thread - though you're probably particularly fixated against homosexuals
I've nothing against homosexuals. In fact I have gone on record in several threads (including this one) supporting gay marriage. Nor am I against any other group based on any particular trait, with the exception of individual behavior. I simply believe that anything should be allowed unless there is a compelling reason why not, and that reason has something to do with harm, and is strongly scrutinized. I also believe that in general, an idea that has to be forced on someone is probably not a good one.
Pappy

Mason, OH

#970 Mar 27, 2014
The word "public" is a substitute word for government-provided.

A private business is not a public accommodation.

A private business is not a government obviously, and a private business is not a government-provided accomodation, although many shyster lawyers and queers can be confused about this fact.

Despite queer denial, it has been proven many times with evidence that queers and their behaviors are responsible for STD and disease epidemics and leading abortion politics, which are damaging to children and society at large.

Governments regularly put prostitutes in jail for doing less vile behaviors than a queer. The dressed-up queers on TV are just glib theatrics and drama behaviors typical of queers.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#971 Mar 27, 2014
Pappy wrote:
Could you cite this definition in state or federal law?
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#972 Mar 27, 2014
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Good, I'm going to open a business that has a huge sign in front...
"NO CHRISTIANS ALLOWED!"
Let's see how well that plays, I mean it'll be MY business, won't it? i wonder how many of you big talkers will support my freedom of choice and my first amendment rights?
in my opinion, if you had your own business and did not want Christian customers that is your business.

When 70% of America is Christian, I would say the business model excluding Christians just limited by 70% the companies success.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#973 Mar 27, 2014
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you cite this definition in state or federal law?
why?

you would just spin and re-define words with 1000's of years history.

wasting time pandering to militant folk like you is better spent telling you what is going to occur from your actions.

you don't like that, and half of us care less.

you want militant?.....keep it up. The pot is boiling, and just about to boil over and scald those who lit the fire under the pot.

Super smart self proclaimed smartest people in the world like you will be so shocked when you are tarred and feathered.

keep laughing and let me know if the tar is hot.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#974 Mar 27, 2014
Pappy wrote:
Not in the legal sense. It's always wise to look up a definition before posting something silly like this.

42 U.S. Code § 12181

(7) Public accommodation
The following private entities are considered public accommodations for purposes of this subchapter, if the operations of such entities affect commerce—
(A) an inn, hotel, motel, or other place of lodging, except for an establishment located within a building that contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and that is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as the residence of such proprietor;
(B) a restaurant, bar, or other establishment serving food or drink;
(C) a motion picture house, theater, concert hall, stadium, or other place of exhibition or entertainment;
(D) an auditorium, convention center, lecture hall, or other place of public gathering;
(E) a bakery, grocery store, clothing store, hardware store, shopping center, or other sales or rental establishment;
(F) a laundromat, dry-cleaner, bank, barber shop, beauty shop, travel service, shoe repair service, funeral parlor, gas station, office of an accountant or lawyer, pharmacy, insurance office, professional office of a health care provider, hospital, or other service establishment;
(G) a terminal, depot, or other station used for specified public transportation;
(H) a museum, library, gallery, or other place of public display or collection;
(I) a park, zoo, amusement park, or other place of recreation;
(J) a nursery, elementary, secondary, undergraduate, or postgraduate private school, or other place of education;
(K) a day care center, senior citizen center, homeless shelter, food bank, adoption agency, or other social service center establishment; and
(L) a gymnasium, health spa, bowling alley, golf course, or other place of exercise or recreation.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#975 Mar 27, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
why?
Well, because when someone bases their entire argument on a a legal definition, they should know what that definition IS. To be helpful, I provided that in my previous post.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#976 Mar 27, 2014
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, because when someone bases their entire argument on a a legal definition, they should know what that definition IS. To be helpful, I provided that in my previous post.
the definition of marriage is the bond between man and women before god.

Obviously it is also the legal description because taxation laws have marriage caveats.

your entire argument is childish fantasy.

keep pouring gas on the fire...it won't get out of control.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#977 Mar 27, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
the definition of marriage is the bond between man and women before god.
Obviously it is also the legal description because taxation laws have marriage caveats.
your entire argument is childish fantasy.
keep pouring gas on the fire...it won't get out of control.
God and religion are not even required to get married - therefore, your definition is incorrect.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#978 Mar 27, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
Freedom of association.
A swing, and a miss.

Freedom of association does not apply. This isn't a private club, it is a public business, which is a place of public accommodation.

Try again.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#979 Mar 27, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Freedom of association.
That argument has been shredded by SCOTUS, especially by Justice Scalia.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#980 Mar 27, 2014
Pappy wrote:
WRONG.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#981 Mar 27, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
why?
you would just spin and re-define words with 1000's of years history.
wasting time pandering to militant folk like you is better spent telling you what is going to occur from your actions.
you don't like that, and half of us care less.
you want militant?.....keep it up. The pot is boiling, and just about to boil over and scald those who lit the fire under the pot.
Super smart self proclaimed smartest people in the world like you will be so shocked when you are tarred and feathered.
keep laughing and let me know if the tar is hot.
Ooooooo..... a cave man..... how exciting.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#982 Mar 27, 2014
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
God and religion are not even required to get married - therefore, your definition is incorrect.
only progressive man thinks they know better, and defy Gods law screaming unfair.

Enjoy the heat.

just think....after going on strike....the company closed and moved while giving the finger to the employees as the trucks roll out of town to let it rot.

nobody will ever say no to you in fear of not being politically correct.

you laughing too?.........me as well.
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#983 Mar 27, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
only progressive man thinks they know better, and defy Gods law screaming unfair.
Enjoy the heat.
just think....after going on strike....the company closed and moved while giving the finger to the employees as the trucks roll out of town to let it rot.
Yes. We're laughing at your complete inability to make a logical, coherent point.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#984 Mar 27, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
Enjoy the heat.
Of course, religious freedom dictates that I don't have to live by your delusions.

My God said your god doesn't exist.

See the problem with your rhetoric, kiddo?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#985 Mar 27, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
Enjoy the heat.
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any god ever existed.

I do note that you are one of those religious types that seems to get excited about other people burning in agony for all eternity. How charming.

Anyway - back to the law.

Your religion, like all religion, is irrelevant to marriage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ohio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Senate GOP gets new pressure from Trump on heal... 15 hr frogie 4
News Democrats, civil rights group aim to block Trum... Mon RoxLo 147
Annette Marion learned how 2 lie and murder Sun Yvette Anne 1
News Ohio can seek Foxconn project without being tra... Sun 404 not found 4
News How often should we keep reviving overdosed dru... Sun A Rope N A Tree 45
News Pike County sheriff outlines series of drug busts Jul 23 Put411 3
News John Glenn memorial plans abound on July birth ... Jul 22 They cannot kill ... 2
More from around the web