Ohio might open schools to Teach for ...

Ohio might open schools to Teach for America educators | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 33 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Mar 13, 2011, titled Ohio might open schools to Teach for America educators | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Bringing Teach for America to Ohio has been years in the making. But for the first time, the program's arrival here has gone from a mere wish among supporters to seemingly imminent after Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
John

Columbus, OH

#1 Mar 13, 2011
This is the second wave of attacks on our public schools and the teachers in Ohio. It's nothing but a money grab for Ka-Sick and his buddies.
My Thoughts

Columbus, OH

#2 Mar 13, 2011
Sounds like a slap in the face of our current teachers and the next step to run them out of the state. The students have to want to learn and their parents need to encourage learning before it will work.
Obozo the Clown

Fremont, CA

#3 Mar 13, 2011
Looks like some competition. I hope you Ohio teachers are up for it.

First prize is a new Cadillac, Second prize, a set of steak knives, third prize, YOUR FIRED!. LOL.
VioletTwpViolet

Athens, OH

#4 Mar 13, 2011
"Teach For America recruits RECENT college graduates and professionals to teach for two years in low-income communities throughout the United States. The goal of Teach For America is for its corps members not only to make a short-term impact on their students, but also to become lifelong leaders in pursuing educational equality. Corps members do not have to be certified teachers, although certified teachers may apply.

Uncertified corps members receive alternative certification through coursework taken while completing the program. Corps members attend an intensive five-week summer institute to prepare for their commitment. Teach For America teachers are placed in schools in urban areas such as New York City and Houston, as well as in rural places such as eastern North Carolina and the Mississippi Delta. They then serve for two years and are usually placed in schools with other Teach For America corps members.

Teach For America teachers are full-fledged faculty members at their schools, receiving the normal school district salary and benefits as well as a modest AmeriCorps "education voucher" (which can be used to pay for credentialing courses, cover previous student loans or fund further education after the two-year commitment)."

So, let me get this right...we are replacing seasoned teachers with non-certificated, recent college grads at the same salary levels PLUS we, as taxpayers, will pay them to get the credentialing courses they need to replace the existing teachers who already have the credentials and experience?

Is Ashton Kucher filming in Ohio as we speak? We are getting Punk'd, right?? Perhaps the real story is that we Ohioans are getting punked (as in prison lingo) by Kasich??

Bend over, Ohio; however, don't expect to get a kiss or roses when King John is done.
John

Fostoria, OH

#5 Mar 13, 2011
I doubt the many of the "teachers" from TA will last for the two years. Teach for America places volunteers in the worst, lowest performing schools. The real incentive for those who Teach for America is the forgiveness of part of their student loans. My nephew was placed in an inner city high school in NYC; the crime rate was very high, the school was overrun with gangs, and many of the students were absent several times per week. He left the program at the end of the first year because he received no training or support from TA or the school.
Amazed

Chillicothe, OH

#6 Mar 13, 2011
So basically, we will be operating a revolving door type of teacher for our classrooms? And, I'm sure this will be at the expense of experienced teachers who, after collective bargaining is gone, will lose their jobs to make room for Teachers From America, which brings in teachers at beginners' salary levels and underwrites training.

Teachers that have been mandated by Ohio's state laws for years that require a bachelor's degree in education, teachers that have been trained, who are experienced and who have good evaluations will simply be replaced by brand-new employees.

From a USA Today article in July 2009, I found the following:

"In March, Charlotte-Mecklenburg, N.C., schools Superintendent Peter Gorman told board members he was laying off hundreds of teachers but sparing 100 TFAers because the district "made a commitment to this program."

What about the commitment we have to our current teachers? Think it won't happen in Ohio?

“www.nerkaggrivat e.com”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#7 Mar 13, 2011
had to know that teachers wouldnt like this...

and what commitment SHOULD we have to ANY teacher? i guess i don't get WHY u feel as if the public owes teachers something..it's a job, an important one granted, but many jobs r important..do i have a commitment to anyone in public service? why should i? frankly i don;t care if u leave tomorrow, someone else will take ur place..

tfa is a good idea that threatens the status quo and the whole concept of training to teach..oh my, terrified it might work?
icu

Sunbury, OH

#8 Mar 13, 2011
Im waiting for naacp (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) to step in and say that not enough African-Americans are passing the exams, they need to lower the standards.
icu

Sunbury, OH

#9 Mar 13, 2011
In all seriousness if you dont like this plan, what would you do? I see you all coming down on Kasich, calling him names like a bunch of little heathen children but I dont see any answers. What should we do with these teachers that are not teaching? There are hundreds of them out there that only have a few years to retirement that just are not performing. So whats the answer? Well? Maybe we could just throw money at them and hope for the best? That doesnt work.
Cee Bee

United States

#12 Mar 14, 2011
Sounds like WALL STREET to me, keep the middle class dum and they wan't know what we are doing cheating and taking all their money. This is a slap in the face for all teachers. This time next year there is going to be a recall VOTE for Kasic and all his WALL STREET budies. Now you will see where all your hard erned money will go. Balance the budget right. Kasic just wants more money going to WALL STREET, so he can make more. WAKE up ohio, NOTHING IS FREE IT ALL COMES WITH A PRICE and TA will get their money this is a scam.
Gordon Gekko

Columbus, OH

#13 Mar 14, 2011
I LOVE the smell of competition in the morning.
Larry Summers

Columbus, OH

#14 Mar 14, 2011
Don't be fooled. TFA is a joke. It's all about corporations who churn out kids with silver spoons who think they can save schools. These "best and brightest" have no intentions of becoming a career teacher. 5 weeks is the same as 6 years with Masters in Education? And remember, private schools work to keep people out; that's why they charge so much. Oh yeah, and TFA uses tax-payers dollars with little or no results especially when these "best and brightest" leave after the first or second year (Look at the corporate sponsor list. Look familiar?) Thanks TFA!
Out in the Country

Conshohocken, PA

#15 Mar 14, 2011
"5 weeks is the same as 6 years with Masters in Education?"

Good question! Is it? If the TFA teachers get the same results in their kids as current teachers, then I'd say yes, a 5 week course is the same.

If they get better results, then I'd say definitely yes!

But, we won't know until there are some competitive results.

Competition is always the best. It weeds out the fakes.

Since: Feb 11

Grove City, OH

#16 Mar 14, 2011
icu wrote:
In all seriousness if you dont like this plan, what would you do? I see you all coming down on Kasich, calling him names like a bunch of little heathen children but I dont see any answers. What should we do with these teachers that are not teaching? There are hundreds of them out there that only have a few years to retirement that just are not performing. So whats the answer? Well? Maybe we could just throw money at them and hope for the best? That doesnt work.
No matter what field you talk about, there is ALWAYS room for improvement. For example, Ohio government. In the "private sector" with their golden merit system, The one that can kiss the bosses arse the best, wins. See it all the time. The better worker is brushed aside because he is doing his job rather than wasting all their time sucking up. Teachers that, as you say, not teaching are usually dealt with. And also as you say, "there are hundreds of them out there". Is this just your opinion, or is there proof backed with facts? You know what they say about opinions, and I've got one of those, too.
charlie sheen

Columbus, OH

#17 Mar 14, 2011
I'm looking forward to seeing this. We need these instead of brun out teacher who have to work to there 70 years old we will grad for gym class who will play with the children all day and the children will love them

Since: Feb 11

Grove City, OH

#18 Mar 14, 2011
aggrivated editor wrote:
had to know that teachers wouldnt like this...
and what commitment SHOULD we have to ANY teacher? i guess i don't get WHY u feel as if the public owes teachers something..it's a job, an important one granted, but many jobs r important..do i have a commitment to anyone in public service? why should i? frankly i don;t care if u leave tomorrow, someone else will take ur place..
tfa is a good idea that threatens the status quo and the whole concept of training to teach..oh my, terrified it might work?
You are obviously not a teacher, nor do you know anyone that is. You leave me with the impression that people teach just to have a job. Everyone I know that teaches do it because they have wanted to do so for a long time and want to help. It is NOT a profession for just anyone. If you think this new brainstorm K-sick has is going to work, when can we expect to see his own kids reap the fruit of this wisdom. That alone OUGHT to tell you your answer, if you have any clue at all.
charlie sheen

Columbus, OH

#19 Mar 14, 2011
Cee Bee wrote:
Sounds like WALL STREET to me, keep the middle class dum and they wan't know what we are doing cheating and taking all their money. This is a slap in the face for all teachers. This time next year there is going to be a recall VOTE for Kasic and all his WALL STREET budies. Now you will see where all your hard erned money will go. Balance the budget right. Kasic just wants more money going to WALL STREET, so he can make more. WAKE up ohio, NOTHING IS FREE IT ALL COMES WITH A PRICE and TA will get their money this is a scam.
that want going to happen these wall street guys are going to invest in TFA and King John going to let them come in and take the state money
charlie sheen

Columbus, OH

#20 Mar 14, 2011
aggrivated editor wrote:
had to know that teachers wouldnt like this...
and what commitment SHOULD we have to ANY teacher? i guess i don't get WHY u feel as if the public owes teachers something..it's a job, an important one granted, but many jobs r important..do i have a commitment to anyone in public service? why should i? frankly i don;t care if u leave tomorrow, someone else will take ur place..
tfa is a good idea that threatens the status quo and the whole concept of training to teach..oh my, terrified it might work?
I guess adoctor save our life we don't own him or her anything it a job
charlie sheen

Columbus, OH

#21 Mar 14, 2011
VioletTwpViolet wrote:
"Teach For America recruits RECENT college graduates and professionals to teach for two years in low-income communities throughout the United States. The goal of Teach For America is for its corps members not only to make a short-term impact on their students, but also to become lifelong leaders in pursuing educational equality. Corps members do not have to be certified teachers, although certified teachers may apply.
Uncertified corps members receive alternative certification through coursework taken while completing the program. Corps members attend an intensive five-week summer institute to prepare for their commitment. Teach For America teachers are placed in schools in urban areas such as New York City and Houston, as well as in rural places such as eastern North Carolina and the Mississippi Delta. They then serve for two years and are usually placed in schools with other Teach For America corps members.
Teach For America teachers are full-fledged faculty members at their schools, receiving the normal school district salary and benefits as well as a modest AmeriCorps "education voucher" (which can be used to pay for credentialing courses, cover previous student loans or fund further education after the two-year commitment)."
So, let me get this right...we are replacing seasoned teachers with non-certificated, recent college grads at the same salary levels PLUS we, as taxpayers, will pay them to get the credentialing courses they need to replace the existing teachers who already have the credentials and experience?
Is Ashton Kucher filming in Ohio as we speak? We are getting Punk'd, right?? Perhaps the real story is that we Ohioans are getting punked (as in prison lingo) by Kasich??
Bend over, Ohio; however, don't expect to get a kiss or roses when King John is done.
teach for america can get up to 51,000 dollars and help their student loan thy also tap in on the STRS pension
blue crayon

Columbus, OH

#22 Mar 14, 2011
Obozo the Clown wrote:
Looks like some competition. I hope you Ohio teachers are up for it.
First prize is a new Cadillac, Second prize, a set of steak knives, third prize, YOUR FIRED!. LOL.
Hope you manipulated fools are ready for warehousing inner city kids, special needs being unmet, behaviors escalating out of control while REAL teachers evacuate (because most of us have more than one degree) the state leaving a state of serfs and high crime rates. When the Koch brithers moe their exaulted factories in, you'll all be so grateful for the crumbs they throw you.Last chance to get a clue, folks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ohio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Meet the gay teen who hopes to unseat his virul... 2 hr Milton 5
News Prosecutor: Bring Back Firing Squads For Execut... Fri Joey 1
Sexually Harassed Ohio State Wrestlers Jul 6 Honey 2
Sexually Harassed Ohio State Wrestlers Jul 6 TrueTV 1
News Nationwide manhunt for 3 men accused of kidnapp... Jul 6 Jeff 3
News Ex-wrestlers say congressman knew of alleged Oh... Jul 5 404 not found 78
News Police launch dragnet for 3 non-US citizens acc... Jul 5 Ex Dem 1