Co-anchor Amy Basista one of three la...

Co-anchor Amy Basista one of three laid off at Channel 4

There are 198 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 30, 2009, titled Co-anchor Amy Basista one of three laid off at Channel 4. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Channel 4 management would not comment on the layoffs. A week ago, station owner Media General, which has been cutting operating costs, reported a profitable second quarter despite drooping ad revenue.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Cashew

Columbus, OH

#22 Jul 30, 2009
Talent like hers will catch on somewhere.

Who can forget her in-depth expose of 'lurking perverts' in city parks? Although only a couple of paragraphs long, the purple prose made it an instant classic.
PeteCMH

Columbus, OH

#23 Jul 30, 2009
I'm shocked! You mean their fancy "Times Square" studio at the corner of High and Broad didn't cause their ratings to soar? Who would have guessed that nobody wanted to watch homeless people lick the glass during the news.
Kevin_H

Zanesville, OH

#24 Jul 30, 2009
Channel is a train wreck right now, and has been since NBC sold it off. The built the studio downtown for the noon and 4pm broadcasts, but it has been little used for quite some time. The 4pm broadcast has been discontinued, and the new 5:30 format is a mess. Add to that the constant talent churn, including losing Anietra Hamper to channel 10. I've long been a channel 4 watcher, but I've lost interest with all of the changes recently. :-\
Kevin_H

Zanesville, OH

#26 Jul 30, 2009
harrysak wrote:
am i supposed to care?
And you posted a comment for what reason then?:-\
Irene Soliday

Niles, OH

#27 Jul 30, 2009
I remember when Amy Basista was in Cleveland, she is awesome! We could sure use her talent and looks here again!
gavia

Westerville, OH

#28 Jul 30, 2009
Maybe the Ch 4 news director could be talked into going over to WSYX 6 On Your Side and laying off Gabe (I didn;t see my drunk driving friend run over the bicylist and kill him; I was busy texting) Spiegel. This is the Columbus anchor that should have been laid off.
Doubting Thomas

Reynoldsburg, OH

#29 Jul 30, 2009
steve_stiffler wrote:
<quoted text>
No way! Monica is HOT wearing the blue dress and doing her little dance in the NBC4 Rewards commercial.
I'm not saying she's not hot. I'm just tired of DVR'ing the morning news for her traffic reports just to find out she's not there...
truth speaker

Columbus, OH

#30 Jul 30, 2009
They could save a bundle on some weathermen I could name. Especiallly the one who's so arrogant he went on YouTube pretending to know more than hundreds of real climate scientists and the most respected scientific bodies in the world, including the National Academy of Sciences AND the American Meteorological Society. But who needs science when you have a blowdryer, a teleprompter and the collected wisdom of right wing crackpots?

Keep Basista, Media General. You have lots worse employees. Lots worse.
Kandi

Plain City, OH

#31 Jul 30, 2009
They let her go and yet keep that sorry excuse of a sports department they have? I'm sorry but I've seen better talent and production in high school broadcasts.
SevenSixtySeven

Columbus, OH

#32 Jul 30, 2009
This is Gabe here (Hic up)`` I dnt drnk n drv`````uh i jst dozed off.
Dont Watch 4

Columbus, OH

#33 Jul 30, 2009
I have no interest in stations that take news feeds from the Buckeye Institute or other right wing shill groups and run "news stories" that are obviously designed to influence elections. Nor do I want looney fringe politics from my weather reporters, thank you. At least Sinclair Broadcasting had the sense to bag Mark Hyman's inane monologues and stop making local news an imitation of the Glenn Beck show.
SevenSixtySeven

Columbus, OH

#34 Jul 30, 2009
Speaking of Glenn Beck--will somebody inject him with "milk of amnesia"?
MadHatter

Columbus, OH

#35 Jul 30, 2009
Andrea Cambern is pretty hot too for a 50+ year old! Can you say cougar?
MIke

Lancaster, OH

#36 Jul 30, 2009
It is really too bad that you are unable/unwilling to retain the only WCMH on-camera personality who consistently brings a youthful presence to the airways. You need to do a little succession planning . . . and Amy should be part of it.
M C P

Elyria, OH

#37 Jul 30, 2009
womanroaring wrote:
<quoted text>
This is probably the most blatantly sexist comment I have heard this week. Have you seen Jerry Revish, how about Cabot, Andy D? Oh and that skinny Johnny guy I could go on and on....
Men aren't required to look like a bimbo playboy bunny to report the news. But you are free to say what you like...
Its a great system and its good to be a man. Take a look at Fox News, CNN etc. take your pick. They don't hire women that are dogs for sure. Makes sense to me.
Rusty Shackelford

London, OH

#39 Jul 30, 2009
steve_stiffler wrote:
Hottest news chicks in Columbus:
Ana Jackson-4
Aneitra Hamper-10
Ellie Merritt-4
Monica Day-4
Maria Durant-6/28
Special MILF awards:
Mindy Drayer-4
Lisa Colbert-6
Gone But Not Forgotten Hotties:
Shannon McCormick-6/28
Elizabeth Scarborough-4
Simone Wilkinson-6/28
You can thank Gabe for the last one. She disappeared without much notice ...

I was actually happy to see that Anietra got out of that rathole at NBC.
harrysak

Kent, OH

#43 Jul 30, 2009
kevin, because i had to
anonymous in Westerville

Somerset, KY

#44 Jul 30, 2009
CatInTheHat wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad about Amy being laid off. She's the kind of woman that needs laid on, if you know what I mean.... reading your post you probably don't.
RUDE!!!
Angry Young American

Columbus, OH

#45 Jul 30, 2009
steve_stiffler wrote:
Hottest news chicks in Columbus:
Ana Jackson-4
Aneitra Hamper-10
Ellie Merritt-4
Monica Day-4
Maria Durant-6/28
Special MILF awards:
Mindy Drayer-4
Lisa Colbert-6
Gone But Not Forgotten Hotties:
Shannon McCormick-6/28
Elizabeth Scarborough-4
Simone Wilkinson-6/28
Left off Candice Lee-9
A Viewer

Marysville, OH

#46 Jul 30, 2009
Amy was a trooper....
Amy worked hard at every task given to her .....
Amy tried and tried again .....
Amy just never caught on with the Columbus audience.....
I am somewhat amazed she lasted "on air" as long as she did .....
I do hope she lands on her feet somewhere

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ohio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Transit officials: Officer uses pepper spray on... 7 min Sneaky Pete 4
News Undocumented Immigrants Beg Ohio Governor To Pr... 1 hr ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 3
News House lawmaker files motion to oust Boehner 3 hr Ross 1
News New Hindu temple planned to accommodate growing... Jul 25 Shock and Awe 7
Hillary to speak at Indian counsel meeting in Iowa Jul 25 Amy 1
Casey Meadows?? Jul 25 DerekMea 1
News Ohio Gov. John Kasich to meet with 2012 nominee... Jul 24 Yes 7
More from around the web