Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York. Full Story
Anonymous

Hamburg, NY

#19757 Nov 28, 2008
Bartnik is back in the hospital!!!
Bartnik

Buffalo, NY

#19758 Nov 28, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
Bartnik is back in the hospital!!!
I heard that he went in for a test, but then either went or is about to go back to rehab. A priest that visited him said he's regained use of his left side. That is amazing! I thought he was doomed for life when he had the stroke. He is one lucky guy.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#19759 Nov 28, 2008
Economist wrote:
You folks seem to have gotten off the topic of the blog.
Yes, and your favorite topic of cleansing the Catholic Church of ethnicity and ethnic traditions.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#19760 Nov 28, 2008
New wine wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure Jesus is pleased with all of you.
Etcum spiritu tuo! And also with you!
Anonymous

Bangor, ME

#19761 Nov 28, 2008
Crashing wrote:
<quoted text>
It IS crashing before our eyes.
Notice something quite glaring on Thanksgiving: St. Luke's Mission of Mercy is the largest outreach in the diocese and it is NOT run nor staffed by the diocese.
If you need proof that the diocese has gone to hell, there is reason.
The bishop didn't even bother to celebrate Thanksgiving with the diocese... so much for caring for the flock.
I heard he went back to New Jersey for Thanksgiving. I don't know if it's true, but if it is I wish he'd just stay there.

I couldn't help but notice that EVERY article in the Buffalo News about Thanksgiving generosity focused on some Protestant denomination - the Wesleyans, the Tabernacle - they (and St. Luke's) put the Buffalo Diocese to shame.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#19762 Nov 28, 2008
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Jane is a gold digger!
She has no room to say anything about her fellow parishioners.
Is this a young Jane or an older Jane? What is the definition of gold digger?
Anonymous

Hamburg, NY

#19763 Nov 28, 2008
Bartnik wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard that he went in for a test, but then either went or is about to go back to rehab. A priest that visited him said he's regained use of his left side. That is amazing! I thought he was doomed for life when he had the stroke. He is one lucky guy.
I wish you were right but this is simply not the case.

Bartnik is still bed ridden and has no use of his left arm.

his left leg is not functioning, but there is
some hope that it may be able to be rehabilitated.

he is still in the hospital, he got sick the night before thanksgiving but hopefully will be going back to rehab soon
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#19764 Nov 29, 2008
ok how about a new line of thinking here...so many of us displaced people have been "church shopping" and many have admitted to not attending Mass at all. So with christmas coming and some of us needing a place to celebrate the Lord's birth how about sharing where people have visited that seemed welcoming and maybe even a reason they felt welcomed there.I have been to St. John vianney but I hear Christmas eve Mass is overflowing into the vestibule and beyond some years and that the parents of the kids performing the Gospel get first priority seating...please correct me if I'm worng but that is what one woman there told me. Otherwise I have found them welcoming. 2 people noticed me as someone new and came over to talk to me after Mass.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#19765 Nov 29, 2008
anonymous wrote:
ok how about a new line of thinking here...so many of us displaced people have been "church shopping" and many have admitted to not attending Mass at all. So with christmas coming and some of us needing a place to celebrate the Lord's birth how about sharing where people have visited that seemed welcoming and maybe even a reason they felt welcomed there.I have been to St. John vianney but I hear Christmas eve Mass is overflowing into the vestibule and beyond some years and that the parents of the kids performing the Gospel get first priority seating...please correct me if I'm worng but that is what one woman there told me. Otherwise I have found them welcoming. 2 people noticed me as someone new and came over to talk to me after Mass.
Any suggestions on where to go in Niagara Falls? I have been shopping for months and haven't found a place yet. Not many good choices around here.
Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#19766 Nov 29, 2008
anonymous wrote:
How about joining a parish, being a part of it, and not just showing up for Christmas. Shop early, join by Christmas.
Bartnik

Buffalo, NY

#19767 Nov 29, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish you were right but this is simply not the case.
Bartnik is still bed ridden and has no use of his left arm.
his left leg is not functioning, but there is
some hope that it may be able to be rehabilitated.
he is still in the hospital, he got sick the night before thanksgiving but hopefully will be going back to rehab soon
A priest who I know witnessed him standing on both of his legs and moving them. There is no question on this fact. I haven't heard about his arm, but I know he is moving both legs. I'm sure he's not ready to dance the polka, but he does have movement. That's a great sign for him. A telephone call to this same priest just confirmed that Father Bartnik went in for tests, but is returning back to rehab today. He could have been back sooner, but the holidays got in the way. I understand his mind is quite sharp and his spirit is great. Something was said that he has to return to the hospital in a couple of weeks to do something with his skull. From what I'm told, it is something minor, but it sure sounds scary to me. God love him! After all he has been through, he is a miracle story. I quess if prayers work, that was probably the case here. He has beat the odds. I hope he goes home soon, so he can get his life back to normal.
Jim

Buffalo, NY

#19769 Nov 29, 2008
Bartnik wrote:
<quoted text>
A priest who I know witnessed him standing on both of his legs and moving them. There is no question on this fact. I haven't heard about his arm, but I know he is moving both legs. I'm sure he's not ready to dance the polka, but he does have movement. That's a great sign for him. A telephone call to this same priest just confirmed that Father Bartnik went in for tests, but is returning back to rehab today. He could have been back sooner, but the holidays got in the way. I understand his mind is quite sharp and his spirit is great. Something was said that he has to return to the hospital in a couple of weeks to do something with his skull. From what I'm told, it is something minor, but it sure sounds scary to me. God love him! After all he has been through, he is a miracle story. I quess if prayers work, that was probably the case here. He has beat the odds. I hope he goes home soon, so he can get his life back to normal.
Father's uncle is an usher at our church. He told me that Father Bartnik is able to move his leg now, so that clears the question for me. He was at the 9 AM Mass on Thanksgiving when he told me he was going up to Millard Fillmore to see Father Bartnik. As I was told, Father went up for testing, but he would return back to physical therapy the next day or so. According to John, who should know before anyone else, Father is doing good. Father should be returning back to his parish soon.
Cookie monster

United States

#19770 Nov 29, 2008
I went in to a confessional booth once and said to the priest, "Okay. You first."

I heard thme little white wafers have GHB on them.

Can you say Date Rape
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#19771 Nov 29, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
How about joining a parish, being a part of it, and not just showing up for Christmas. Shop early, join by Christmas.
The point of my post wasn't to just find a place to go on DEC 25th but to make Dec 25 the beginning of a new parish life for those of us displaced. I thought that sharing where we have been investigating might help someone else. I also thought that for the few wo are so mad they aren't shopping around and ahve not attended Mass in a while they might feel God tugging at their heart lately. They might want to return during the advent/ christmas seasons and I thought it would be good to share some of the good stories instead of just the bad. I want' suggesting a one time deal, I was suggesting a new beginning with help form the firends we seem to have made here....so enemies need not reply ;-)
Anonymous

Hamburg, NY

#19772 Nov 29, 2008
Bartnik wrote:
<quoted text>
if by standing you mean for a couple of minutes with the help of nurses during PT once a day, then you are right but he is by FAR not walking the halls of the rehab center.

I too sincerily hope that he can return quickly, but lets be realistic, it won't be anytime soon, if at all.
RE JIM

Hamburg, NY

#19773 Nov 29, 2008
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Father's uncle is an usher at our church. He told me that Father Bartnik is able to move his leg now, so that clears the question for me. He was at the 9 AM Mass on Thanksgiving when he told me he was going up to Millard Fillmore to see Father Bartnik. As I was told, Father went up for testing, but he would return back to physical therapy the next day or so. According to John, who should know before anyone else, Father is doing good. Father should be returning back to his parish soon.
he is doing good. But when you say soon, i hope you don't mean like next month because that is out of the question.
unknown

United States

#19774 Nov 29, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Been there done that...no thanks, I will also just find a Mass as I have been doing.
Father John

United States

#19775 Nov 29, 2008
Pass the collection plate. Pastor needs a new caddy.
God Forbid

Kenduskeag, ME

#19776 Nov 29, 2008
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
God forbid he should return to St Teresa's/St John's - he stormed through the place like a whirlwind destroying what ever sense of community there was! Thankfully, Fr. Voorhes arrived and has been very pastoral and kind. Unfortunately, he is still working to clean up the mess Bartnik created. His presence was so destructive. As Bartnik recovers, so too do the parishes of St Teresa's and St. John's. Bartnik's arrival was a curse, but his falling ill resulted in a period of grace and blessing such that the parishes could resume their spiritual life, which he put on hold. Bartnik is only interested in control. The parishes were at a stand still until Fr. Voorhes arrived.
Bartnik

Buffalo, NY

#19777 Nov 29, 2008
God Forbid wrote:
<quoted text>
God forbid he should return to St Teresa's/St John's - he stormed through the place like a whirlwind destroying what ever sense of community there was! Thankfully, Fr. Voorhes arrived and has been very pastoral and kind. Unfortunately, he is still working to clean up the mess Bartnik created. His presence was so destructive. As Bartnik recovers, so too do the parishes of St Teresa's and St. John's. Bartnik's arrival was a curse, but his falling ill resulted in a period of grace and blessing such that the parishes could resume their spiritual life, which he put on hold. Bartnik is only interested in control. The parishes were at a stand still until Fr. Voorhes arrived.
What an aweful comment to make!!!

It seems true that St. Teresa's is a very nasty parish. I hesitate to even use the word parish when mentioning this institution. How did the Bishop allow them to stay open? Nice communities were closed while a parish like this remains opened??? I can't understand how any decent person would want to be part of such a community. It is apparent that the word of God may touch their ears, but it does not seem to reach into their hearts.

Looking through the many entries on this website, it sure seems that St. Teresa's had many problems long before Fr. Bartnik arrived. Has he become the scapegoat? Do you expect us to be so naive as to believe that in a few weeks he caused your problems? It is apparent that your troubles go back many pastors. Perhaps, Fr. Berg should have been doing more to pastor the flock, instead of fixing the real estate. I understand that his successor wasn't too happy among the South Buffalonians either. I don't think Fr. Mock was any happier once he arrived at St. Teresa's.

This parish sounds like the nastiest parish that I have ever heard of. They tear each other apart, but then all go to church on Sunday. What is the point of going, if it doesn't match up to how you live your lives?

I know both Fr. Voorhes and Father Bartnik, but I wouldn't say one is any better or any worse than the other. Both seem like good people that have their heart in the right place. You sound like you are trying to divide one against the other in your comments. What could Fr. Bartnik have done in such a short time and what could Fr. Voorhes have done in such a short time? I doubt either one has had the time to destroy or rebuild in the matter of weeks that each has been at that parish.

Your comments and your parish sound appalling!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who are you voting for in the New York Governor... 19 hr Diamond Daisy 2
Dear White People - REALLY stupid movie Sun spikemike 1
Remington to lay off 105 workers in NY Sat stop brown 121
janet koch is new exec. dir. of life's worc Sat DHF1147 1
Secrets of Mexico's flying snake gods Oct 17 JOFFE and TROTSKY 14
New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Oct 17 JustSoYouKnow 16,804
Jehovah's Witnesses sex abuse scandal: Church a... Oct 15 El Cacique 29

New York People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE