Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 20 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

anonymous

West Milford, NJ

#49209 Jul 30, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
The days of the big 50th parties are long gone; people just don't care anymore.
That is really sad. At one time,the priesthood was really respected.
Doc ER 1

AOL

#49210 Jul 30, 2012
I think the Priesthood is still respected. There was a great showing for LiPuma's 25th yesterday.
Our Family went to Moreno's 25th and it was standing room only @ St. Margaret's last year. I think it depends on the priest....
Padarewski

Derby, NY

#49211 Jul 30, 2012
Polski wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard she did a beautiful rendition of Pie Kuba.
It sounded more like Pie Kuba not Pie Jesu.
Well

Derby, NY

#49212 Jul 30, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>That is really sad. At one time,the priesthood was really respected.
You can think your fellow "priests" for ruining that and abusing their people!!
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#49213 Jul 30, 2012
Padarewski wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounded more like Pie Kuba not Pie Jesu.
Absolutely!
Anonymous

Orchard Park, NY

#49214 Jul 31, 2012
Doc ER 1 wrote:
I think the Priesthood is still respected. There was a great showing for LiPuma's 25th yesterday.
Our Family went to Moreno's 25th and it was standing room only @ St. Margaret's last year. I think it depends on the priest....
You can't count Catholic Center staff! He's still got power until they get rid of him.

And when they have the anniversary during a Sunday Mass..........
Edziu from the East Side

Lemoyne, PA

#49215 Jul 31, 2012
We have a new Erie Bishop!!!

Pope Benedict XVI has named Monsignor Lawrence Persico, a longtime official of the Diocese of Greensburg, as bishop of the Diocese of Erie.

Bishop-elect Persico, 61, will succeed Bishop Donald Trautman, 76, who submitted his mandatory letter of resignation when he turned 75.

Bishop-elect Persico is a canon lawyer who has served three bishops of Greensburg in a variety of administrative roles.. He was born in Monessen, where he attended St. Cajetan School before enrolling in St. Joseph Hall Minor Seminary in Greensburg. He attended college at the Seminary of St. Pius X in Erlanger, Ky., then received his master of divinity degree from St. Vincent Seminary near Latrobe. He was ordained in 1977.

Bishop-elect Lawrence PersicoBishop-elect Persico served three years as a parochial vicar at Immaculate Conception parish in Irwin, then earned a degree in canon law at the Catholic University of America in Washington DC. After his return to the diocese in 1980, Bishop WIlliam Connare made him assistant chancellor and then vice-chancellor of the diocese, while he also served as chaplain to the Sisters of Charity of Greensburg. In 1998, he also took on duties as pastor of St. James parish, New Alexandria.

Bishop Anthony Bosco promoted him to chancellor in 1989 and also changed his chaplaincy duties to St. Emma Monastery in Greensburg. In 2005 Bishop Lawrence Brandt made him vicar general of the diocese, the highest position below that of bishop. That same year Pope Benedict made him a monsignor and in 2010 he was made a papal knight of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre,

He has served as vice-president of the Pennsylvania Catholic Conference since 2006
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#49216 Jul 31, 2012
Someone just asked about Fr. Secundo from St. Anthony, anyone heard anything?
Heraclitus

Buffalo, NY

#49217 Jul 31, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that the weather bimbo???? She sings??? Oh Lord!!!
She is long past her expiration date. I've heard she only knows four songs: Three of them are Schubert's "Ave Maria"; No one has ever been able to recognize the fourth one.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#49218 Jul 31, 2012
Heraclitus wrote:
<quoted text>
She is long past her expiration date. I've heard she only knows four songs: Three of them are Schubert's "Ave Maria"; No one has ever been able to recognize the fourth one.
Could be "Barka" ?
She tries her best, but not quite good!
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#49219 Jul 31, 2012
Heraclitus wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought she was a professional singer - majored in Music. I heard her about 5 years ago and thought she had a lovely voice.
Polska Diva

Derby, NY

#49220 Jul 31, 2012
Heraclitus wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard the organist at Assumption cringes when she shows up to sing. So does the priest.
Anonymous

Orchard Park, NY

#49221 Aug 1, 2012
Heraclitus wrote:
<quoted text>
Once you've heard Andrew, all others sound like they're just making noise.
At the Vatican

Buffalo, NY

#49222 Aug 1, 2012
After his Azores assignment where he filled in for a Scalabrinian on vacation (and brushed up on his Portugese), he is now said to be doing translation work for the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant People.
Anonymous wrote:
Segundo

Buffalo, NY

#49223 Aug 1, 2012
He must be busy fishing baccala'!
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#49224 Aug 1, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
He and Brenden are shuffling stuff around here, and abroad. Watch out everybody!
Polonia

Buffalo, NY

#49225 Aug 1, 2012
I thought she may not have been the best but was still ok.
Polska Diva wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard the organist at Assumption cringes when she shows up to sing. So does the priest.
Excellency

Buffalo, NY

#49226 Aug 1, 2012
Will Trautman be moving back here, or stay in Erie?
Edziu from the East Side wrote:
We have a new Erie Bishop!!!
Pope Benedict XVI has named Monsignor Lawrence Persico, a longtime official of the Diocese of Greensburg, as bishop of the Diocese of Erie.
Bishop-elect Persico, 61, will succeed Bishop Donald Trautman, 76, who submitted his mandatory letter of resignation when he turned 75.
Bishop-elect Persico is a canon lawyer who has served three bishops of Greensburg in a variety of administrative roles.. He was born in Monessen, where he attended St. Cajetan School before enrolling in St. Joseph Hall Minor Seminary in Greensburg. He attended college at the Seminary of St. Pius X in Erlanger, Ky., then received his master of divinity degree from St. Vincent Seminary near Latrobe. He was ordained in 1977.
Bishop-elect Lawrence PersicoBishop-elect Persico served three years as a parochial vicar at Immaculate Conception parish in Irwin, then earned a degree in canon law at the Catholic University of America in Washington DC. After his return to the diocese in 1980, Bishop WIlliam Connare made him assistant chancellor and then vice-chancellor of the diocese, while he also served as chaplain to the Sisters of Charity of Greensburg. In 1998, he also took on duties as pastor of St. James parish, New Alexandria.
Bishop Anthony Bosco promoted him to chancellor in 1989 and also changed his chaplaincy duties to St. Emma Monastery in Greensburg. In 2005 Bishop Lawrence Brandt made him vicar general of the diocese, the highest position below that of bishop. That same year Pope Benedict made him a monsignor and in 2010 he was made a papal knight of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre,
He has served as vice-president of the Pennsylvania Catholic Conference since 2006
Priest Party

Buffalo, NY

#49227 Aug 1, 2012
I don't think so, I've seen some very-good sized 25th and 50th parties around here in the past year.
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
The days of the big 50th parties are long gone; people just don't care anymore.
Excuse me

Buffalo, NY

#49228 Aug 1, 2012
Have you ever heard of the term 'libel','calumny','slander'? Do you have any kind of a conscience?
Seminarian wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, we need more priests like Jeff Nowak, a closeted homosexual.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Poll: Hillary Clinton most admired woman 6 hr Hilly 833
News Clinton fundraisers show scope of family network Thu Responsibility 7
News John Lennon to get U.S. stamp (Feb '14) Apr 30 L Ron Hubbard 77
News Today in history: Hitler commits suicide Apr 30 James 1
News Why are NYC buses advertising hatred of Muslims? Apr 30 diana kelsen 2
News Slimmer's horror as she realises her rapid weig... Apr 30 Tazo 1
News Is the online surveillance of black teenagers t... Apr 30 The Ace of Spades 3
More from around the web