Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 62331 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#49190 Jul 30, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Making good judgement is a good thing; we do it everyday. The Scriptures are filled with judgements. Our laws are based on judgements. Court cases are decided on judgements. All of society operates based on judgement. We should not apologize for making judgements. We do wrong when we make judgements rashly, or based on our own biases, or when we fail to be open minded, or when we fail to base our judgements in an educated manner or an uncharitable manner. Jesus makes many judgements and he calls on each of us to make judgements in choosing to do good and not evil. We may not be able to see what is in ones heart, but we can see their behavior and that behavior is something we can certainly make a judgement upon.
Judge not lest thee be judged. Ever hear that one?
Judge not lest
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#49191 Jul 30, 2012
Polish National wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the Annual Reports of the Holy See
and the comments that come with them.
Yes, I am quite familiar with the documents. Take a look at the individual reports from other dioceses and you will get another impression,esp, as regards USA dioceses,more esp. as regards the Diocese of Buffalo. Over all,the number of priests is going up through out the world,but not in proportion to population growth or the growth in the number of Catholics wordlwide. In many places,but not all,there has been growth in the number of seminarians and priests in American dioceses,but it is uneven. The "boom" dioceses frequently get a large bulk of their seminarians from other countries. For starters,check out these sites CARA Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate, and Future Church.( The latter is a radic-lib feminist group and their stats are not always accurate,but there is still some interesting information there,though I do not agree with their agenda.)
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#49192 Jul 30, 2012
When SJV opened in 1962, it had 180 seminarians, the approximate number of active diocesan priests in the DOB. Bishop Nicholas Elko (a really controversial bishop) ordained 13 priests for in his eparchy in 1961. Today his eparchy,which has "morphed" into a Metroplitan Province with one archeparchy and three eparchies, has only 13 seminarians.
Mitre

Lockport, NY

#49193 Jul 30, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>I suspect Jeff is one of out bloggers and that he does know what is really going on in the DOB. Ask him what he knows about the closure of SJV/CTK.
Give him a year and he will be a pastor, give him five and he will be a bishop. What will Rome do when the number of priests declines further; will there be bishops of priestless dioceses?
Am Pol

Lockport, NY

#49194 Jul 30, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I am quite familiar with the documents. Take a look at the individual reports from other dioceses and you will get another impression,esp, as regards USA dioceses,more esp. as regards the Diocese of Buffalo. Over all,the number of priests is going up through out the world,but not in proportion to population growth or the growth in the number of Catholics wordlwide. In many places,but not all,there has been growth in the number of seminarians and priests in American dioceses,but it is uneven. The "boom" dioceses frequently get a large bulk of their seminarians from other countries. For starters,check out these sites CARA Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate, and Future Church.( The latter is a radic-lib feminist group and their stats are not always accurate,but there is still some interesting information there,though I do not agree with their agenda.)
You should write a vocation column in the AmPol Eagle. I am sure you would get many vocations as a result.
Anonymous

Hamburg, NY

#49195 Jul 30, 2012
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Judge not lest thee be judged. Ever hear that one?
Judge not lest
That's a very good reference from Scripture. Of course, you need to read the full text to fully appreciate the wisdom. Basically, it explains that we will be measured/judged by the same measurement/judgement of which we judge another. That's on target with the examples that I referenced. We must be charitable, fair and wise in our judgements. If we don't, we would be unjust and bias. Of course, it does not say we should not judge, but merely sets the standard by which we should judge.

When reading Scripture, we must always take things in the context they are written. We should not take a line and then attempt to use it as a weapon to strengthen our own point. The Scriptures, like many other documents are rich in wisdom. We must look at them all and then exercise our own knowledge to do the right thing.
anonymous

New York, NY

#49196 Jul 30, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a very good reference from Scripture. Of course, you need to read the full text to fully appreciate the wisdom. Basically, it explains that we will be measured/judged by the same measurement/judgement of which we judge another. That's on target with the examples that I referenced. We must be charitable, fair and wise in our judgements. If we don't, we would be unjust and bias. Of course, it does not say we should not judge, but merely sets the standard by which we should judge.
When reading Scripture, we must always take things in the context they are written. We should not take a line and then attempt to use it as a weapon to strengthen our own point. The Scriptures, like many other documents are rich in wisdom. We must look at them all and then exercise our own knowledge to do the right thing.
Alrighty then, bring it on! Looking forward to THAT!
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#49197 Jul 30, 2012
Am Pol wrote:
<quoted text>You should write a vocation column in the AmPol Eagle. I am sure you would get many vocations as a result.
Actually the best advertisement for vocations in the diocese of Buffalo or anywhere else is good, happy, committed priests. I learned this from Msgr. Arnold Schneider many years ago. From the look of things, there apparently aren't too many good happy priests in the DOB.
Anonymous

Hamburg, NY

#49198 Jul 30, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Alrighty then, bring it on! Looking forward to THAT!
You must be a Catholic!
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#49199 Jul 30, 2012
Where in the Buffalo Police Dept. does one go to report sexual abuse cases?
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#49200 Jul 30, 2012
Re: Kevin's blurb on the Malone's arrival. No mention of LiPuma. Lipuma will be the first to go. Malone will be hunting for a new secretary soon. David will get a plum parish somewhere.
Anonymous

North Tonawanda, NY

#49202 Jul 30, 2012
anonymous wrote:
Re: Kevin's blurb on the Malone's arrival. No mention of LiPuma. Lipuma will be the first to go. Malone will be hunting for a new secretary soon. David will get a plum parish somewhere.
Who is in the running for Malone's new secretary?/Any rumors?
Anonymous

Hamburg, NY

#49203 Jul 30, 2012
anonymous wrote:
LiPuma will get the Cathedral and live with Kmiec.
Anonymous

Hamburg, NY

#49204 Jul 30, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is in the running for Malone's new secretary?/Any rumors?
Monsignor Peter Karalus will be getting a new hairdo for the installation and will shake his thang for Malone.
Polish National

United States

#49205 Jul 30, 2012
anonymous wrote:
Where in the Buffalo Police Dept. does one go to report sexual abuse cases?
Check with the investigators
of the Amanda Weinckowski case.
Then check with those of Altemio Sanchez.
Good luuck.
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#49206 Jul 30, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
LiPuma will get the Cathedral and live with Kmiec.
Maybe, But I suspect Campbell might want to stay on till his 50th ordination anniversary. Got to give the guy credit for serving so long despite his age and health problems. He does get on with people quite well.
KoJak Who Loves You Baby

AOL

#49207 Jul 30, 2012
Karalus is the offical cheerleader for the Diocese
He should be sent to Southdown's for a long extended stay. He needs professional help.
Anonymous

Hamburg, NY

#49208 Jul 30, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe, But I suspect Campbell might want to stay on till his 50th ordination anniversary. Got to give the guy credit for serving so long despite his age and health problems. He does get on with people quite well.
The days of the big 50th parties are long gone; people just don't care anymore.
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#49209 Jul 30, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
The days of the big 50th parties are long gone; people just don't care anymore.
That is really sad. At one time,the priesthood was really respected.
Doc ER 1

AOL

#49210 Jul 30, 2012
I think the Priesthood is still respected. There was a great showing for LiPuma's 25th yesterday.
Our Family went to Moreno's 25th and it was standing room only @ St. Margaret's last year. I think it depends on the priest....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Grab a Pussy!': PETA Billboards Urging Pet Adop... (Oct '16) 2 hr Squach 1,294
News Body-slamming the press: Gianforte skirmish mar... Fri Keyanna 6
News The SNL Season Finale Included Dwayne Johnson M... May 21 Geezer 1
News Natural gas production rises in West Virginia, ... May 21 Sigma 2
News 24 individuals indicted for possessing material... (Jun '12) May 19 upchuck 21
Trump leaks classfied info from israel to the r... May 16 impeachtrumpnow 1
News Conservative publisher Andrew Breitbart dies in... (Mar '12) May 15 swedenforever 518
More from around the web