Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 62219 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#48609 Jun 19, 2012
Dur e mar a dheanann dur wrote:
Tá brón parting milis ar nós ..... NACH!
Maith thu. Slainte chugat.
madra salach

New York, NY

#48610 Jun 20, 2012
Thuig mé nach mbeadh tú a bheith ag lorg.
Verdadeiro

North Tonawanda, NY

#48611 Jun 20, 2012
My Portuguese friend in Toronto told me that Fr. Segundo is indeed in the Azores.

He is working in a new Scalabrini mission there ministering to fishermen in the islands of Sao Miguel, Flores and Terceira.
Ite missa est wrote:
I heard the order sent Secundo to the Azores. The Latin Mass is still going strong. I visited two weeks ago. Too bad they have Bob M saying it now. He drones on and on. Good attendance though. Vale!
<quoted text>
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#48612 Jun 20, 2012
Ataron leis degarate lauit en!
anonymous

Grand Island, NY

#48613 Jun 20, 2012
Rev. Martin Luther King and others in the civil rights movement fought huge obstacles but at least the churches then were unregulated by government. They were able affirm other rights because of freedom of religion. June 21 begins the Fortnight for religious freedom. I think if Rev. King were alive today, he would be supporting it. I hope we all do.
answer to many questions

Buffalo, NY

#48614 Jun 21, 2012
The greatest priestly action I have ever seen was at Mass on a hot summer Sunday at St. Mary’s Parish in New Haven, Conn.

This was back before the parish had air conditioning. It was tough for the congregation, but worse for the visiting priest who said Mass in the summer. He had diabetes and some kind of degenerative nerve disorder that made his hands shake.
Catholic Priest Hearing Confession

Catholic Priest Hearing Confession & Praying the Rosary

“It’s hot for you,” he would joke.“But I’m up here wearing a horse blanket!”

This priest’s homilies were excellent, but the moment that is burned in my memory happened during the Eucharistic prayer.

Father was slowing down through the first part of the prayer, like an old record player that needed to be cranked. When he started the consecration, it sounded like he was going to stop altogether.

But after he started the consecration, it quickly became clear that nothing could make him stop.

“Take this,” pause,“all of you,” pause,“and”… long pause …“eat it.”

He took a long gasping breath and looked like he wouldn’t recover. A parishioner ran to his side. The priest made it clear he wasn’t about to leave the altar, so the parishioner brought a chair for him to rest on.

“This … is … my … body … which will be … given up … for you.”

He lifted the host with shaky hands. We watched in rapt silence.

He slowly worked through “When the supper was ended, he took the cup …”

And then a replacement priest had been brought over from the rectory.

But Father wasn’t about to stop halfway through the consecration.

Word after agonizing word, he got to the end of the consecration.

By then, an ambulance had come. After he elevated the chalice, he was carried away on a stretcher.

Then the replacement priest stepped up to the altar.“Let us proclaim the mystery of faith,” he said.

Talk about alter christus. Watching that priest was like watching Our Lord consecrating the Eucharist — from the cross.

“Mom, why wouldn’t he stop?” the kids asked their mother in the car.

“Because he’s a priest,” said April.“That’s what priests do.”

She was right. It is vitally important that priests preach and that they do it well. But preaching isn’t the most important thing priests do. A priest doesn’t need to be talented, interesting or well-read to do the most important things priests do.
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#48615 Jun 21, 2012
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia today announced a major staff reduction and the closure of the archdiocesan newspaper. What does this forebode for the DOB?
anonymous

New York, NY

#48616 Jun 21, 2012
anonymous wrote:
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia today announced a major staff reduction and the closure of the archdiocesan newspaper. What does this forebode for the DOB?
Are you serious? Is THIS going on everywhere?
Anonymous

North Tonawanda, NY

#48617 Jun 21, 2012
anonymous wrote:
No Western NY Catholic?
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#48618 Jun 21, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
No Western NY Catholic?
Yes. In Union, we will Echo together,"Magnificat "
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#48619 Jun 21, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Are you serious? Is THIS going on everywhere?
Yes.
anonymous

New York, NY

#48620 Jun 21, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Yes.
OMG!!!
anonymous

Grand Island, NY

#48621 Jun 21, 2012
The restriction on religious liberty isn't something that might happen in the future, it happens now. Many Catholic child welfare agencies and hospitals have been closed because they don't support abortion. Catholics and others who are prolife are sometimes rejected from medical school, or from social work jobs. Agencies that won't do abortion referrals are losing out on grants, or licensure, not only for pregnancy service but from ALL services. Support the Fortnight for religious liberty. The most important action we can do is prayer.
salomea

Depew, NY

#48622 Jun 21, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Yes. In Union, we will Echo together,"Magnificat "
We will unionize and echo together.Keenan will loose his pulpit to put "HIS spin on things."
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#48623 Jun 21, 2012
salomea wrote:
<quoted text>
We will unionize and echo together.Keenan will loose his pulpit to put "HIS spin on things."
Whoever is in charge,nothing will change. The purpose of the diocesan paper to simply to echo in union with the hangers-on, the praises of the "Big Cat",i.e. the bishop.(Wasn't Kevin supposed to be headed to work with Massiello?)
Anonymous

Hamburg, NY

#48624 Jun 22, 2012
answer to many questions wrote:
The greatest priestly action I have ever seen was at Mass on a hot summer Sunday at St. Mary’s Parish in New Haven, Conn.
This was back before the parish had air conditioning. It was tough for the congregation, but worse for the visiting priest who said Mass in the summer. He had diabetes and some kind of degenerative nerve disorder that made his hands shake.
Catholic Priest Hearing Confession
Catholic Priest Hearing Confession & Praying the Rosary
“It’s hot for you,” he would joke.“But I’m up here wearing a horse blanket!”
This priest’s homilies were excellent, but the moment that is burned in my memory happened during the Eucharistic prayer.
Father was slowing down through the first part of the prayer, like an old record player that needed to be cranked. When he started the consecration, it sounded like he was going to stop altogether.
But after he started the consecration, it quickly became clear that nothing could make him stop.
“Take this,” pause,“all of you,” pause,“and”… long pause …“eat it.”
He took a long gasping breath and looked like he wouldn’t recover. A parishioner ran to his side. The priest made it clear he wasn’t about to leave the altar, so the parishioner brought a chair for him to rest on.
“This … is … my … body … which will be … given up … for you.”
He lifted the host with shaky hands. We watched in rapt silence.
He slowly worked through “When the supper was ended, he took the cup …”
And then a replacement priest had been brought over from the rectory.
But Father wasn’t about to stop halfway through the consecration.
Word after agonizing word, he got to the end of the consecration.
By then, an ambulance had come. After he elevated the chalice, he was carried away on a stretcher.
Then the replacement priest stepped up to the altar.“Let us proclaim the mystery of faith,” he said.
Talk about alter christus. Watching that priest was like watching Our Lord consecrating the Eucharist — from the cross.
“Mom, why wouldn’t he stop?” the kids asked their mother in the car.
“Because he’s a priest,” said April.“That’s what priests do.”
She was right. It is vitally important that priests preach and that they do it well. But preaching isn’t the most important thing priests do. A priest doesn’t need to be talented, interesting or well-read to do the most important things priests do.
Pardon me for a moment, I'm so moved by this that I just wet myself.
Anonymous

Hamburg, NY

#48625 Jun 22, 2012
anonymous wrote:
The restriction on religious liberty isn't something that might happen in the future, it happens now. Many Catholic child welfare agencies and hospitals have been closed because they don't support abortion. Catholics and others who are prolife are sometimes rejected from medical school, or from social work jobs. Agencies that won't do abortion referrals are losing out on grants, or licensure, not only for pregnancy service but from ALL services. Support the Fortnight for religious liberty. The most important action we can do is prayer.
Someone sounds brainwashed!
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#48626 Jun 22, 2012
So, the Philaelphia verdict is in. and what's been going on in he diocese of Buffalo? In some cases (e.g. Spielman),they probably did not know,until it was too late. In the case of Robert Wood, they took action,but did not go the civil authorities. Ingalls' problems were not known until the FBI contacted the chancery. There were many reports about Ropelski,that should have been looked into. Ditto,Mach and Aurelio. "Rumors" were rife,but no investigation was ever undertaken by the DOB. The case of Jasinski was never resolved. He was indicted,but no verdict ever came to light. Three monsignors were mysteriously retired, at the same time the "removals" without the usual fanfare accompanying such events. And there lingers the case of Bialokowski,which has dragged on for almost two years. the Chancery continues to stonewall. Jay Tokacz,what are you doing?
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#48627 Jun 23, 2012
anonymous wrote:
So, the Philaelphia verdict is in. and what's been going on in he diocese of Buffalo? In some cases (e.g. Spielman),they probably did not know,until it was too late. In the case of Robert Wood, they took action,but did not go the civil authorities. Ingalls' problems were not known until the FBI contacted the chancery. There were many reports about Ropelski,that should have been looked into. Ditto,Mach and Aurelio. "Rumors" were rife,but no investigation was ever undertaken by the DOB. The case of Jasinski was never resolved. He was indicted,but no verdict ever came to light. Three monsignors were mysteriously retired, at the same time the "removals" without the usual fanfare accompanying such events. And there lingers the case of Bialokowski,which has dragged on for almost two years. the Chancery continues to stonewall. Jay Tokacz,what are you doing?
Weren't Mach and Aurelio arrested? I think that Bishop Head has a lot to answer for but isn't he dead? I am coming around to this topic. I am disgusted by that prevert Sandusky. My question is, Why did we all find it so difficult to question adults that did this but we automatically think the children are making it up?
anonymous

Grand Island, NY

#48628 Jun 23, 2012
Another anti Catholic editorial in the Buffalo News. In a way this is a good sign. There are never any editorials against Lutherans, Presbyterians, or any of the other religions, because those churches march in step with the billionaire owner of the newspaper. The Catholic Church is trying to follow Christ. We can expect more editorials, and more news articles about "devout" Catholics who are stunned that the bishops are failing to obey Mr. Buffett, and the billionaires that run most of the media. It is a good sign when the secularists attack a church because it means the Church is really saying what is important.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bush says Trump 'is not the conservative he cla... (Sep '15) 2 hr Lottery Traitors 21
News Fox News execs forced black women to arm wrestl... 5 hr Frogface Kate 6
News Grab a Pussy!': PETA Billboards Urging Pet Adop... (Oct '16) 7 hr Squach 1,149
young and the restless going off the air (Nov '10) Mon Debbie1619 11
Trummpp Sat Jim 1
News Being overweight may be caused by the clock in ... Apr 22 Yeti 29
News Quebec City Mosque Shooting Leaves 6 Dead, 8 Wo... Apr 21 Kevin J Johnston 1
More from around the web