Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 62474 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

anon

New York, NY

#48307 Jun 3, 2012
Here, let me save you the trouble of going to the NCR website and reading it yourself. It is nothing that hasn't been said over and over and over again, here on this blog:

"The Diocese of Buffalo did not move against the credibly accused priests until 2003,somewhat later than other dioceses. About 12 priests were "mysteriously" removed,without explanation. No names were reported. At the same time,3 monsignors were "retired",without the usual festivities that go along with such events. Another monsignor ran off,got married,and started to serve as a minister in a liberal Protestant denomination. No one was sure who was guilty,who was innocent. Were some priests falsely implicated? Clergy morale plummeted. Over the years after,seminary enrollment went from about 35 to 18. Some of the clergy,at least deserved the clarification of being honorably retired and to be distinguished from clergy who deserved removal from the ministry. Someone should ask Archbishop Mansell(then DOB ordinary) or Bishop Cunningham of Syracuse(then DOB chancellor)what was going through their minds when they pulled this "coup". Now retiring Bishop Kmiec never straightened the matter out,and from what appears on the net,it doesn't look like incoming Bishop Malone will do so,either."

God help us!!!
anonymous

New York, NY

#48308 Jun 3, 2012
I heard that Archbishop Mansell was recently in town to answer some questions regarding credibly accused priests when he was the Bishop here.
I wonder if he couldn't do anything for Bishop Malone in getting him a diocese closer to his home that he shares in South Dennis, MA? I understand the Diocese of Bridgeport, Connecticut (where Mansell is Archbishop) is currently under the administration of Monsignor Jerald A. Doyle JCD since Bishop Lori was installed as Archbishop of Baltimore.
I understand that the appointment comes from Rome but certainly it is under the recommendation of local hierarchy, wouldn't you think?
I know if I were in the position to be considered for reassignment (if I were even a priest, let alone a bishop), I would certainly prefer one that was so much closer to home than Buffalo is to South Dennis, MA, wouldn't you?
anonymous

New York, NY

#48309 Jun 3, 2012
Does anyone wonder if Malone is being sent here to help 'straighten out' all of the confusion regarding who was allowed to 'retire' rather than face charges? Perhaps he will be able to find the mysterious papers or the pertinent information to shed some light on how much of diocesan money or insurance was paid to victims of priests and who they would be.
I hope the things that I have read regarding Malone are not true. It would be a good time to clear the air, so to speak.
anonymous

Grand Island, NY

#48310 Jun 3, 2012
There is a small group of dissenters who believe all popes and Councils since 1958 are invalid. But the powerful opponents of Vatican II are elsewhere. The NY Times opposes any kind of religious hierarchy. Vatican II reaffirmed religious hierarchy. Vatican II taught that sacraments are based on permanent, supernatural realities. Gov. Cuomo teaches that Marriage is a social contract, that individuals or the State define as they go along. Vatican II teaching is that education is not the right of the government,so the public school and unions are in effect opposing Vatican II. The Buffalo News promotes the Peace and Justice movement. Vatican II promotes Catholic Social Teaching.
Implementing Vatican II will take a lot of effort, and prayer.
anonymous

New York, NY

#48311 Jun 3, 2012
anonymous wrote:
I heard that Archbishop Mansell was recently in town to answer some questions regarding credibly accused priests when he was the Bishop here.
I wonder if he couldn't do anything for Bishop Malone in getting him a diocese closer to his home that he shares in South Dennis, MA? I understand the Diocese of Bridgeport, Connecticut (where Mansell is Archbishop) is currently under the administration of Monsignor Jerald A. Doyle JCD since Bishop Lori was installed as Archbishop of Baltimore.
I understand that the appointment comes from Rome but certainly it is under the recommendation of local hierarchy, wouldn't you think?
I know if I were in the position to be considered for reassignment (if I were even a priest, let alone a bishop), I would certainly prefer one that was so much closer to home than Buffalo is to South Dennis, MA, wouldn't you?
Also, it has been said that Malone is 'more of the same' so wouldn't Mansell want him for one of his own?
In Gods Name

Buffalo, NY

#48312 Jun 3, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Many who fully support Vatican II also oppose anti-Catholicism. Vatican II opposed many things that are politically correct, including contraception, divorce/remarriage, and many other things considered "rights" now. It also affirmed many things the secular society opposes, including dogmas, the male priesthood,spiritual authority of the pope and bishop, the supernatural characteristics of the sacraments, and many other things. The secular society, for instance the Obama administration, the media, and higher education, opposes 90% of what Vatican II taught.(BTW, the most unpopular part of Vatican II is Dogmas). Thus, Vatican II supporters respond, lovingly, to anti-Catholicism.
Is this why John-Paul I was assassinated?
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#48313 Jun 3, 2012
anon wrote:
Here, let me save you the trouble of going to the NCR website and reading it yourself. It is nothing that hasn't been said over and over and over again, here on this blog:
"The Diocese of Buffalo did not move against the credibly accused priests until 2003,somewhat later than other dioceses. About 12 priests were "mysteriously" removed,without explanation. No names were reported. At the same time,3 monsignors were "retired",without the usual festivities that go along with such events. Another monsignor ran off,got married,and started to serve as a minister in a liberal Protestant denomination. No one was sure who was guilty,who was innocent. Were some priests falsely implicated? Clergy morale plummeted. Over the years after,seminary enrollment went from about 35 to 18. Some of the clergy,at least deserved the clarification of being honorably retired and to be distinguished from clergy who deserved removal from the ministry. Someone should ask Archbishop Mansell(then DOB ordinary) or Bishop Cunningham of Syracuse(then DOB chancellor)what was going through their minds when they pulled this "coup". Now retiring Bishop Kmiec never straightened the matter out,and from what appears on the net,it doesn't look like incoming Bishop Malone will do so,either."
God help us!!!
You got to admit. It's all true. Quite accurate descirtion of the sex abuse situation is the DOB.
anonymous

New York, NY

#48314 Jun 3, 2012
A 'heretic' is defined in Canon 1325 as:'Any baptized person who, while retaining the name of Christian, obstinately denies or doubts any of the truths proposed for belief by the Divine and Catholic Faith'.

'Should it happen that a bishop, cardinal, legate or even the Roman Pontiff had deviated from the Catholic Faith or had fallen into some heresy before his nomination as bishop, cardinal or pope, the following dispositions are compulsory. The promotion or election, even if the cardinals have consented to this of common accord, are null and void. They cannot acquire validity by the fact of the subject's entry into function or by the fact of consecration or subsequent exercise of authority, nor - in the case of a pope by the fact of enthronement, of the act of veneration or subsequent general obedience, whatever may be the duration of this situation nor can they be considered as partially legitimate.'
'Nor can they confer upon such persons promoted to the dignity or bishop, archbishop, or primate, or called to the dignity of cardinal, or to occupy the See of Peter, any power to command either in the spiritual or the temporal domain. On the contrary, ail their words, actions, and dispositions, and their consequences, have not the least juridical effect and do not confer the slightest right upon anybody.'
'Persons promoted or called in this way lose, by that very fact, and without further declaration, their dignity, position, honor, title, authority, function, and power all at the same time.'
'To all persons promoted or called in this way - all the members or the secular clergy, all religious clerics, laymen, and also the cardinals who have participated in the ejection or a pope who already deviates from the Catholic Faith, have the right to refuse obedience and veneration towards these people thus promoted or called, and with impunity. They have the right to avoid them like warlocks, pagans, publicans and heresiarchs...'
'Whoever does not refuse fidelity and obedience to such persons thus promoted or called are tearing the Lord's robe and will consequently be chastised by censures and penalties.'
anonymous

New York, NY

#48315 Jun 3, 2012
As Saint Thomas teaches, obedience is a special virtue consisting in one's readiness to follow the lawful command of one's lawful superior, when the superior is acting within the sphere of his authority.(Summa Theologica, II-II, 104.)
"When a superior commands something that is contrary to justice and the common good of the Church, Catholic theology teaches that a subject may licitly resist the unjust and harmful command. Here too we are dealing with a matter of common sense: a ruler, even in the Church, may be opposed when he abuses his authority and seeks to cause harm."
Get real

Lockport, NY

#48316 Jun 3, 2012
Don't fool yourself. Diocesan administrators are acting Bishops carrying out the ordinary operation of a diocese. Offficially, major decisions are deferred to the new bishop once he is installed. However, Kmiec and Malone have been communicating for quite a while and the bishop-elect may make decisions for his new diocese even before he takes office, just as Kmiec did. This way, tough and unpopular decisions (and mistakes) may always be blamed on the other guy.
Hamburger wrote:
Malone is administrator of Portland and Kmiek is now administrator of DOB....neither one is Bishop of either diocese.
CARA

Lockport, NY

#48317 Jun 3, 2012
A new CARA Study (National Catholic Reporter - June 2012) found that many priests are not content about how bishops dealt with the clerical sex abuse and the Dallas Charter. Unfortunately, the study does not say anything about priests *falsely* accused of miscunduct with minors or adults. The only thing the study suggests is that there should be some organization to defend them... like the ACLU, because their bishops do not.
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#48318 Jun 3, 2012
Get real wrote:
Don't fool yourself. Diocesan administrators are acting Bishops carrying out the ordinary operation of a diocese. Offficially, major decisions are deferred to the new bishop once he is installed. However, Kmiec and Malone have been communicating for quite a while and the bishop-elect may make decisions for his new diocese even before he takes office, just as Kmiec did. This way, tough and unpopular decisions (and mistakes) may always be blamed on the other guy.
<quoted text>
Right. And don't expect any big changes. Regina is getting her clipboard readly. Also LiPuma might be getting a parish. But life in the DOB will go on as it always has.
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#48319 Jun 3, 2012
CARA wrote:
A new CARA Study (National Catholic Reporter - June 2012) found that many priests are not content about how bishops dealt with the clerical sex abuse and the Dallas Charter. Unfortunately, the study does not say anything about priests *falsely* accused of miscunduct with minors or adults. The only thing the study suggests is that there should be some organization to defend them... like the ACLU, because their bishops do not.
You're right. And I have brought this point up before. It is very hard form any priest,even if he has been vidicated after a false accusation to regain the reputation he had earlier. Bishops seem too embarassed or insensitive to help such priests. The late CArdinal Avery Dulles had pointed out the inadequacy of the due process provisions in the Dallas Charter. The only organization I know help priests in this situation is Opus Bono Sacerdotii.
anon

New York, NY

#48320 Jun 3, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>You're right. And I have brought this point up before. It is very hard form any priest,even if he has been vidicated after a false accusation to regain the reputation he had earlier. Bishops seem too embarassed or insensitive to help such priests. The late CArdinal Avery Dulles had pointed out the inadequacy of the due process provisions in the Dallas Charter. The only organization I know help priests in this situation is Opus Bono Sacerdotii.
Then they must be helping cause they have been contacted twice.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#48321 Jun 4, 2012
anonymous wrote:
As Saint Thomas teaches, obedience is a special virtue consisting in one's readiness to follow the lawful command of one's lawful superior, when the superior is acting within the sphere of his authority.(Summa Theologica, II-II, 104.)
"When a superior commands something that is contrary to justice and the common good of the Church, Catholic theology teaches that a subject may licitly resist the unjust and harmful command. Here too we are dealing with a matter of common sense: a ruler, even in the Church, may be opposed when he abuses his authority and seeks to cause harm."
I agree but try it....and see what happens to you! Quick questiion-
Didn't the Jewish people get rid of their heirarchy because they were so corrupt?
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#48322 Jun 4, 2012
Any rallies in support of LCWR in the Buffalo area on June 8th? Just asking.
anonymous

New York, NY

#48323 Jun 4, 2012
anonymous wrote:
Does anyone wonder if Malone is being sent here to help 'straighten out' all of the confusion regarding who was allowed to 'retire' rather than face charges? Perhaps he will be able to find the mysterious papers or the pertinent information to shed some light on how much of diocesan money or insurance was paid to victims of priests and who they would be.
I hope the things that I have read regarding Malone are not true. It would be a good time to clear the air, so to speak.
Until the past is exposed this diocese will not move forward.Many made mistakes by concealing wrongdoings. Man up and admit what went wrong and rectify the mistakes.
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#48324 Jun 4, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Until the past is exposed this diocese will not move forward.Many made mistakes by concealing wrongdoings. Man up and admit what went wrong and rectify the mistakes.
It's not going to happen. The cover-up will continue. Eventually the churches will be empty.(Most bloggers are aware of the statistics cited by the Buffalo News in its artcle about the ordinations this past Saturday.)
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#48325 Jun 4, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Until the past is exposed this diocese will not move forward.Many made mistakes by concealing wrongdoings. Man up and admit what went wrong and rectify the mistakes.
DOB also made big mistakes in some of the closures during JF&G. In many cases they closed the wrong church just to keep Reggie happy. Will these mistakes be rectified?
anonymous

Bay Shore, NY

#48326 Jun 4, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
DOB also made big mistakes in some of the closures during JF&G. In many cases they closed the wrong church just to keep Reggie happy. Will these mistakes be rectified?
No. The diocese will have to save face.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Grab a Pussy!': PETA Billboards Urging Pet Adop... (Oct '16) 21 hr Common Sense 2,193
News NY subway tiles with Confederate flag look to b... Sat america sks 1
News Being overweight may be caused by the clock in ... Sat Tex- 35
News Could Beyonce finally win album of the year at ... (Feb '17) Aug 18 Anonymous 3
News NYC to Change ID Rules for Transgendered (Nov '06) Aug 18 C Kersey 28
News RBJ Snap Poll: Plurality disagrees with Trump o... Aug 16 perfect eats dix 5
News NYRI official: project could lead to more upsta... (Feb '07) Aug 14 Hot air 3
More from around the web