Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 59666 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Cemetery

Buffalo, NY

#44885 Dec 11, 2011
Agreed wrote:
<quoted text>
One of them thought he was omnipotent and untouchable. Now he is working in St. Matthews cemetary as a grave digger.
He will get a gave ready for you! Be prepared!
Instigator

Buffalo, NY

#44886 Dec 11, 2011
Confused wrote:
<quoted text>
According to this article, St. Teresa's merged into Divine Mercy.I thought Sacred Heart merged INTO St. Teresa's. 5 parishes merged together to form Divine Mercy (St. Stan's Our Lady of the Rosary, Holy Trinity , Our Lady of Lebanon and St. George) I never knew St. Teresa's merged into Divine Mercy.
Ask the 'famous instigator' by name Jacek Mazur!You will never be confused with his "logic!"
LaborDepartment

Buffalo, NY

#44887 Dec 11, 2011
Wake Up wrote:
<quoted text> You're good at doling out the penance to everyoneelse but can't admit your own abuse, eh The Terrible???
A church is not a job supplier! Go and say another rosary on the Rosary Avenue. No need for Ludwig and Stanley to do the gardening and grass cutting! That pain is over!
BataviaBoy

Buffalo, NY

#44888 Dec 11, 2011
anonymous wrote:
If Weldgen knew about the embezzlement,what was he doing as pastor;and if he didn't know about the embezzlement,what was he doing as pastor.
He was hiding in a barn so he would not see what his 'famous secretary' was doing. That was the best way not to see anything! Is he one of those 'famous fallen bishops' who never made it to the top echelons in the church despite his svelte and tall figure? Any chance now????Only by explicite divine intervention,perhaps!
anonymous

West Milford, NJ

#44889 Dec 11, 2011
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Priests are respected? People cower? Indeed, they (priests) are wrong, unjust and liars, some, but respected, cowered to, now? Hence, no/few vocations, with inevitable consequences.
You're absolutely right. The best advertisement for the priesthood is good happy priests. Not websites,Twitter,etc.(I am not demeaning these methods at all.) But still,they are very few priests in the DOB that present the priesthood as a joyful lifestyle option. It goes beyond issues of abuse and embezzlement. What young man would like to wind up like many of the graduates of SJV/CTK? No wonder Fr. Walter Szczesny is having such a difficult time getting recruits and the Seminary may soon close,despite its good financial state.
Desert

Buffalo, NY

#44890 Dec 11, 2011
Been Hurt wrote:
<quoted text>Concur!! Even nuns in authority are afraid of the priests, too much sexism remains in the protocol of the church. Everyone cowers at the presence of a priest. Even when they are wrong unjust & liars.
This is not true at all! Practicly, any priest or even a bishop can be accused by some weirdos or wackos in our society. Remember Cardinal Bernardin of Chicago! Priests are 'modernday martyrs accused and lynched by some parishioners who dislike them! If they lose job, they revenge in the most vicious way against a priest or bishop!
Desert

Buffalo, NY

#44891 Dec 11, 2011
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>You're absolutely right. The best advertisement for the priesthood is good happy priests. Not websites,Twitter,etc.(I am not demeaning these methods at all.) But still,they are very few priests in the DOB that present the priesthood as a joyful lifestyle option. It goes beyond issues of abuse and embezzlement. What young man would like to wind up like many of the graduates of SJV/CTK? No wonder Fr. Walter Szczesny is having such a difficult time getting recruits and the Seminary may soon close,despite its good financial state.
What is the alternative, if any? Perhaps, some kind of 'divine intervention' from certain priests?
anonymous

West Milford, NJ

#44892 Dec 11, 2011
BataviaBoy wrote:
<quoted text> He was hiding in a barn so he would not see what his 'famous secretary' was doing. That was the best way not to see anything! Is he one of those 'famous fallen bishops' who never made it to the top echelons in the church despite his svelte and tall figure? Any chance now????Only by explicite divine intervention,perhaps!
And just where is this famous barn? Address?
Righteous

Buffalo, NY

#44894 Dec 11, 2011
anonymous wrote:
If Weldgen knew about the embezzlement,what was he doing as pastor;and if he didn't know about the embezzlement,what was he doing as pastor.
Weldgen was notorious of going after his parochial vicars. He could not stand them! But he needed 'mamma secretary' for his infantile satisfaction, this 'famous stellar example' of the diocese.
Hurt

Buffalo, NY

#44895 Dec 11, 2011
Been Hurt wrote:
<quoted text>Concur!! Even nuns in authority are afraid of the priests, too much sexism remains in the protocol of the church. Everyone cowers at the presence of a priest. Even when they are wrong unjust & liars.
Were you hurt by Corky Mach or John Aurelio, or someone else in the Falls since you write from the city. Was Msgr. Len a good friend of those two abusers by name Corky and John? Any information on that? Did he know anything about it? Or, it was a sepulchral silence on his part?
Truth

Buffalo, NY

#44896 Dec 11, 2011
Confused wrote:
<quoted text>
According to this article, St. Teresa's merged into Divine Mercy.I thought Sacred Heart merged INTO St. Teresa's. 5 parishes merged together to form Divine Mercy (St. Stan's Our Lady of the Rosary, Holy Trinity , Our Lady of Lebanon and St. George) I never knew St. Teresa's merged into Divine Mercy.
St. Teresa merged with Sacred Heart and vise versa. Divine Mercy has nothing to do with Sacred Heart and St. Teresa. That is the final truth! Now, this merger of 2 churches is called St. Raphael, the original name of Sacred Heart Church.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#44897 Dec 11, 2011
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>St. Teresa merged with Sacred Heart and vise versa. Divine Mercy has nothing to do with Sacred Heart and St. Teresa. That is the final truth! Now, this merger of 2 churches is called St. Raphael, the original name of Sacred Heart Church.
Must be a mistake in the article.
Wake Up

Niagara Falls, NY

#44898 Dec 11, 2011
RoseSunday wrote:
<quoted text>I need a Visa Card at St. Paul Parish in Kenmore to by some gasoline for my private usage! I like to introduce the ssocalle Last Supper at St Teresa in the Falls with men and women sitting at the Table without the Holy Father's permission! How about that! Also, I like to introduce Altargirls before the Vatican approval because I am 'a famous priest' in the Falls. Rather, I was a 'popular priest' at one time in the Falls!This is really offtrack private money spending and socalled liturgy.
Popular, something you know nothing about because you refuse to learn how to treat people, the laity is deserving of respect as well as pastors. The Pharisees killed Jesus for his progressive tolerance, ponder that Mr. High Priest. God bless MSg Len & you too, with enlightenment!
Misquoted

Buffalo, NY

#44899 Dec 11, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be a mistake in the article.
Or the author and subject of the article was full of Corapi!
RoseSunday

Buffalo, NY

#44900 Dec 11, 2011
Wake Up wrote:
<quoted text> Popular, something you know nothing about because you refuse to learn how to treat people, the laity is deserving of respect as well as pastors. The Pharisees killed Jesus for his progressive tolerance, ponder that Mr. High Priest. God bless MSg Len & you too, with enlightenment!
Follow the Holy Father, the High Priest: not this 'popular priest, or that popular monsignor.' They should follow the laws! They are not the lawmakes!
anonymous

West Milford, NJ

#44901 Dec 11, 2011
Weldgen probably drove his ex-assistant,Phil Noe,of the Youth Dept, and out of the priesthood.
Been Hurt

Niagara Falls, NY

#44902 Dec 11, 2011
Hurt wrote:
<quoted text>Were you hurt by Corky Mach or John Aurelio, or someone else in the Falls since you write from the city. Was Msgr. Len a good friend of those two abusers by name Corky and John? Any information on that? Did he know anything about it? Or, it was a sepulchral silence on his part?
You are so far off you are in the wrong universe. The misconduct cannot be condoned, but John Aurelio did good spiritual work also. He left me with sage advice from 24 years ago that resonates still. You judge & condemn arbitrarily. You are guilty of being quiet when you should be speaking up on substantive matters not your sissy gossip & sleazy rumors.
anonymous

Grand Island, NY

#44903 Dec 11, 2011
There is a long article on the editorial page of the Buffalo News, lamenting the new Mass translation. Keep in mind that traditional Catholics also would like to express their views, but rarely get printed, and only as tiny letters to the editor, nothing like this. The secular media is not neutral in its view of religion, it heavily supports the "horizontal" approach to liturgy as a community gathering, it opposes the "vertical" view, that liturgy is primarily about God. Likewise, the media prints endless faborable articles about the Peace and Justice movement, but no articles about Catholic Social Teaching. In catechetics, it promotes the view that "renewed" persons define their own doctrines about Jesus, but opposes "rigid" Catholics who follow the Magisterium. 40 years of Catholics being formed - or misformed - by the secular media results in empty rectories and empty churches on Sunday. Warren Buffet closed more parishes than any bishop. Sadly, many of Buffet's followers are priests and religious.
anonymous

West Milford, NJ

#44904 Dec 11, 2011
Been Hurt wrote:
<quoted text> You are so far off you are in the wrong universe. The misconduct cannot be condoned, but John Aurelio did good spiritual work also. He left me with sage advice from 24 years ago that resonates still. You judge & condemn arbitrarily. You are guilty of being quiet when you should be speaking up on substantive matters not your sissy gossip & sleazy rumors.
You are not alone in this obervation. I could name quite a few priests,whose names are on bishopaccountability, and also a few names not on that site who were fine priests and would still be serving in their ministry today, had they not had this serious psychological problem.
anon

Buffalo, NY

#44905 Dec 11, 2011
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>You are not alone in this obervation. I could name quite a few priests,whose names are on bishopaccountability, and also a few names not on that site who were fine priests and would still be serving in their ministry today, had they not had this serious psychological problem.
Why wasn't the serious psychological problem detected in the seminary before these characters that compatmentalize themselves went out and abused?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Perspective: Hitler, as seen by Russia 2 min tC Clg 29
News Cartoon contest organizer known for inflammator... 1 hr Who 132
kelly ripa has ruined michael strahan (Mar '13) Thu username 72
News Madoff son found dead of apparent suicide (Dec '10) Thu swedenforever 28
News Strangers Come To Hartford Student's Aid (Mar '09) Thu didusayhome 120
News Poll: Hillary Clinton most admired woman Thu Le Jimbo 1,067
News Gerry Adams sparks outrage as he says abduction... May 20 John Smith 17
More from around the web