Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 60512 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Anon II

Lancaster, NY

#36802 Feb 4, 2011
Happy Hour wrote:
Fr Monaco invites chancery staff and friends today 5pm Fugazi's. Allentown is hot Lovejoy is not, even the Buddhists don't party. Leave cars at Catholic Center Garage and walk over. You guys have such perks.
Will Jeff Porter be there? He is one FUN guy!
Tipsy

AOL

#36803 Feb 4, 2011
Anon II wrote:
<quoted text>
Will Jeff Porter be there? He is one FUN guy!
I hope so, he is the barrel you rollout when you sing the beer barrel polka.
Symbol

AOL

#36804 Feb 4, 2011
St Barbara is just the start. Sr Destructo has decreed due to her p nis envy the all Catholic Church steeples and towers will be torn down, after all they are ph llic symbols and she wants to be a man so bad. Do you think the Bishops Fund will pay for her sex change operation so that she can become the next Bishop of Buffalo?
warsawfil

Dover, NJ

#36805 Feb 4, 2011
Check out Kmiec on bishopaccountability.org . In handling the cases,he admits to "misleading" statements How can anyone trust this guy.
Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#36806 Feb 4, 2011
McKeown case Bishop Kmiec was accused in a lawsuit of failing to act after learning in the mid- to late 1990s that a suspended pedophile priest was continuing to socialize with boys at a church and a Catholic school. Therapists had warned the diocese in writing that the Rev. Edward J. McKeown should be kept away from adolescents. Bishop Kmiec has acknowledged giving parishioners a “misleading” statement about how many times his predecessor was warned about the priest before suspending him. McKeown left the priesthood on 1 March 1989. He was then accused of sexual abuse with two boys, 1994-98 in a mobile home park where he lived after he was forced to leave the priesthood. Finally he gained temporary custody of a troubled teen in the late 1990s, and was charged with raping him and sentenced to 25 years in prison.
Bishop Pinocchio

Lancaster, NY

#36807 Feb 4, 2011
Haas affair Rev. Paul Fredrick Haas (d. 1979), a biology teacher, who was a sexul abuser. The diocese says other victims have come forward to say Haas abused them. Haas was transferred to Kentucky around 1967 "for treatment." Later Haas was assigned to Memphis and Chattanooga and later to Little Rock for one year. He left the priesthood and died of cancer in 1979, living alone in Hartford, a small town in Kentucky.

1. Coode accusation Mike Coode was raped by Haas some time before David Brown.
2. Brown accusation David Brown, a 15 year-old sophomore at Nashville's Father Ryan High School in the 1960’s, accused Haas of raping him at Camp Marymount in middle Tennessee.“And what's he saying to me as he's doing it?‘You know this is a sin, but God knows my needs, and besides I love you.’” David Brown approached the diocese in 1996, in search of answers and an apology, church leaders paid him a few thousand dollars and asked him to sign a form releasing the diocese from all responsibility in his case, promising never to sue and never to discuss the agreement with anyone.
1. Kmiec meeting David Brown requested a meeting with Bishop Edward Kmiec who told him, "Yours is an isolated case, We don't know of any others."

"He suggested that we take our clothes off down to our underpants so we would not mess them up. He began demonstrating different moves and hold [sic] and our bodies were getting sweaty. He was showing me a hold when suddenly he penetrated me with his finger. He told me it was OK that's what the Greeks did when they wrestled in the Olympics. In fact he told me they wrestled in the nude and to get the true effects we should wrestle nude also. So we did. He told me that they grabbed anything they could get a hold of and not to be ashamed or embarrassed. That if I was going to be a good wrestler I had to learn to get used to that kind of contact. So I went along. Next thing I know he had grabbed my penis and was stroking me. I was shocked and embarrassed but it also felt good at the same time. I was confused. I felt this was wrong but I was with a priest. Father Hass [sic] said my reaction and erection was normal but if I was embarrassed he knew a way he could make it go away. So he began to perform oral sex on me. He then told me he had the same problem and asked that I help him out so we could continue.

After that, the two resumed wrestling. Haas told his young victim to assume a wrestling start position—kneeling with hands on the mat—and got behind him. "Before I knew it, he was in me and raping me," writes Brown. "There was nothing but pain and horror and lots of tears and blood."

"You know this is a sin," Haas said while raping him. "But God knows my needs, and he'll forgive us."

Brown, crying, could only ask "Why?" over and over and over again.

"Because you're so handsome and good-looking," came the reply. "I love you." David Brown

Note Driving back after the rape, Haas got out of his red car and went in to get a drink for Brown. Nearby, a group of Father Ryan upperclassmen were loitering. They noticed the priest and, in his car, Brown. "Hey, let's see who Haas' new toy is," one of the older boys called out, approaching the ca
Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#36808 Feb 4, 2011
Kmiec criticized for failure to alert area on priest accused of sex
0 Comments | Buffalo News, Jun 26, 2010 | by Jay Tokasz

A national group critical of how the Catholic Church deals with clergy sex abuse cases on Friday criticized Buffalo Bishop Edward U. Kmiec for failing to alert area families about a priest accused of molesting three minors more than 30 years ago.

The Rev. Gabriel M. Patil was accused in 2004 lawsuits of molesting three boys in 1978, during his time at a high school in the Diocese of Allentown, Pa.

The lawsuit was dismissed in 2005 by Pennsylvania State Supreme Court.

But members of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests said Patil was "credibly accused" in the lawsuits, and his presence in the Buffalo Diocese should have been made known to Western New Yorkers.
Related Results

* No charges expected in argument with Kmiec
* Bishop's exchange with critic brings no charges
* Everybody's Column
* Panel backs closing 5 churches
* School closings will hurt long into the future

Most Popular Articles

* LENNON:'Yoko loathed John's son Julian. Even Sean had to make an
* SEXTROLOGY; It's the thinking woman's guide to the zodiac… so are you and your partner perfect celestial bedfellows, or is disaster written in the stars?
* I married my dead fiance in a morgue ..now I want to see his killers
* I DON'T WANT YOUR pounds 100m DAD ..JUST LET ME GIVE MY BABY BROTHER
* Legend of Lewis Carroll has dark side

Most Recent Articles

* Hokies hit the boards, hold off Wolfpack
* Bill to cut machinery/tools tax pits factories vs. cities, counties
* Coaches have quickly made a name for themselves
* Tradition on a bun, Part II
* Test may help guide prostate cancer treatment

"We're here to sound the alarm. We want to ensure that children in this diocese are kept safe," said Barbara Blaine, president and co-founder of SNAP.

Blaine stood outside diocesan headquarters on Main Street Friday afternoon with fellow SNAP members Mark Lyman and Judith Burns- Quinn, carrying childhood photos of dozens of victims of clergy sex abuse.

Patil, though, is part of the Barnabite Fathers, a religious order of priests that is separate from the Buffalo Diocese.

He served for several years at the National Shrine Basilica of Our Lady of Fatima in Youngstown until being reassigned in December 2009 to the Barnabites' delegation in India.

Diocesan spokesman Kevin A. Keenan referred questions about Patil to the Barnabites, who issued a short statement.

"Concerning the erroneous allegations regarding Rev. Gabriel Patil, the Barnabite Fathers believe they emanate from an Allentown, Pennsylvania case in which Fr. Patil was mentioned though never named as a defendant. The case was finally dismissed in late 2005. The Barnabite Fathers are aware of no other incident involving Fr. Patil or any claim involving his conduct," the Rev. Peter M. Calabrese, provincial vicar and chancellor for the Lewiston Barnabites, said in the statement.

Nonetheless, Blaine maintained that Kmiec had a "moral and civic responsibility" to be more forthright about clergy who have been accused of abuse.

As part of a national study of clergy sex abuse in the Catholic Church, diocesan officials in 2004 revealed that 53 clerics in the Buffalo Diocese had been accused since 1950.

But the diocese has steadfastly refused to name names -- a stance that victims and advocacy groups have railed against for years.

The names of 14 Buffalo-area priests accused of sexual abuse were revealed through lawsuits and criminal proceedings.

"It's exposing it that might prevent someone else from being hurt," said Blaine.

e-mail: [email protected]
anon

Elma, NY

#36809 Feb 4, 2011
Kmiec's history in protecting pedophile priest's in his former diocese must have made him the ideal candidate for bishop of a diocese that has protected the identity of the known "infamous 53".Recently Oprah broadcasted a show with 200 abused men in the audience.Five brave victims from Buffalo made the trip.This show and the follow up show that featured the loved ones of the victims should be mandatory viewing for all clergy.
warsawfil

Dover, NJ

#36810 Feb 4, 2011
If some of the contributors can locate back copies of DOB annual directories,from 2002-2004,they might be able to determine,what priests were mysteriously removed form active ministry in this period. This procedure can be based on a "post hoc,ergo propter hoc" fallacy. Sexual abuse might not be the basis for removal. And it appears some priests were simply retired. Some names that come forth include Faraci,Lord,JD. Walker The way the removals were carried out created suspicions against at least 2 monsignors. Greater care should have been to protect innocent priests and eliminate gossip and suspicion.
Anonymous II

AOL

#36811 Feb 4, 2011
Happy Hour wrote:
Fr Monaco invites chancery staff and friends today 5pm Fugazi's. Allentown is hot Lovejoy is not, even the Buddhists don't party. Leave cars at Catholic Center Garage and walk over. You guys have such perks.
anyone goo??? how was the party??? was it to celebrate the opening of the newly remodeled church building?? such a way to celebrate....a martini bar in allentown!! how priestly and diocesan!! the church has certainly become a joke!
anonymous

United States

#36812 Feb 5, 2011
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#36813 Feb 5, 2011
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>'
If St. William's was a vibrant parish, where were was their leadership when they merged? Why did they act as puppets for the priest who knew nothing about the parish and his associate who was out to get rid of anyone she could not control?
The leadership (parishioners) were told what to do and to put their names on the documents to get rid of employees and close a food pantry. Parishioners were told it was a budet issue. Funny that they have a half a million dollars in the bank.
anonymous

Olean, NY

#36814 Feb 5, 2011
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>The leadership (parishioners) were told what to do and to put their names on the documents to get rid of employees and close a food pantry. Parishioners were told it was a budget issue. Funny that the parish has a half a million dollars in the bank.
There will be more to come. How about the new Pastor or St. Bonaventrue/Williams, who did not even know a former employee, not allowing her on the property to vote at the neighborhood polling place. Violation of Civil Rights? The whole story will be told.
Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#36815 Feb 5, 2011
Anyone who has ever met Mary Lou Dettrich knows she is a hard working lady who would do anything for anybody. Her brother is Monsignor David Gallivan. Her uncle was Monsignor David Herlihy who was killed while trying to help the poor at Saint Matthew's. Mary Lou is being treated badly by the church that she helped all these years. Monsignor Crumlish must be rolling in his grave. She was a close friend and employee of Monsignor Crumlish. They don't like her because she fought for her parish. Marty McGrath who was a trustee can tell anyone about Mary Lou.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#36816 Feb 5, 2011
I know both Marty and Mary Lou!

Marty was a butcher by trade and let me assure anyone that Mary Lou is top knotch.
warsawfil

Dover, NJ

#36817 Feb 5, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
Anyone who has ever met Mary Lou Dettrich knows she is a hard working lady who would do anything for anybody. Her brother is Monsignor David Gallivan. Her uncle was Monsignor David Herlihy who was killed while trying to help the poor at Saint Matthew's. Mary Lou is being treated badly by the church that she helped all these years. Monsignor Crumlish must be rolling in his grave. She was a close friend and employee of Monsignor Crumlish. They don't like her because she fought for her parish. Marty McGrath who was a trustee can tell anyone about Mary Lou.
I am appalled. Msgr Gallivan was very good to my family. I still make daily visits to the Blessed Sacrament,due to
Msgr. Herlihy's influence. Are there any good priests left in the DOB?
interested

Buffalo, NY

#36818 Feb 5, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
I know both Marty and Mary Lou!
Marty was a butcher by trade and let me assure anyone that Mary Lou is top knotch.
Was the Pastor that hangs out with the x-priest from Java or the one that had some heavy personal issues before he left, the one who treated everyone so badly?
iremember

Buffalo, NY

#36819 Feb 5, 2011
The Parish of St. Bonaventure was blessed in past years to have wonderful priests pastoring the Parish. Father Crumlish, who was always there for parishioners, followed by the Eudist Fathers who were caring and gifted priests. It ended there, as did the friendly staff and the ministries that gave parishioners, both young and old, a chance to participate in activities that kept them close to the Church. Many wonderful people have left the parish and some will never enjoy parish life again.
anon

Elma, NY

#36820 Feb 5, 2011
Are we talking about the priest from St.Cecelia's that abused or the priest that abused boys in his cabin in N. Java who has vanished of the face of the earth?
Mosaiah

Easley, SC

#36821 Feb 5, 2011
I would like to encourage all of you to find a baptist church this Sunday that has a real man of God that does not preach to please the people but preaches what the Bible says whether people like it or not. One that doesn't preach for money or popularity or a pat on the back. One that is not afraid to preach on the sins of the people, and in doing so he hopes they will get there hearts and lives right with God Almighty.One that will lift up his voice to stand against the wickedness of our day and to lift up the name that is above every name and that name is the Lord Jesus Christ. One that will proclaim God's Holy Word to who ever will listen. One who does mind a persons skin color or standing in society. He is concerned about their soul. If there is one like this in your area, it is probably the most disliked church and preacher around, but if that church preaches and practices what the Bible says, go,listen and respond as God's Scripture and God's Spirit speak to your heart. AMEN !!!( warnings of wrath . com )

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Perspective: Hitler, as seen by Russia (May '15) 3 hr Kyle 125
News Gay groups seek to buy NYC church known for hat... 8 hr WasteWater 10
News How the $15 minimum wage could become a new div... (Jun '15) 18 hr Fart news 729
News Prince William hits DC; Kate joins NYC first lady (Dec '14) Feb 4 Rosie oDonnell Gr... 10
News Zika affects plans for destination weddings, ba... Feb 3 Just Saying 1
Turning Stone-vs-Lago Feb 3 NY worker 4
News Suspected Ponzi scheme investigated (Jul '10) Feb 2 millhiller 230
More from around the web