Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 59661 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Stash

AOL

#30126 Dec 28, 2009
OLD TIMER wrote:
I dont know where you get your news from but if its a weak parish
then where do you think the 400+ people came from on the 4 pm mass Xmass mass you are eather a mole of DOB or lost .Quit bashing the good people of ST. ADALBERTS
<quoted text>
OK...good point.....BUT where are they people during the other weeks of the year????? If they love st Adalberts so much, why do they not worship there every week? BECAUSE these are the same people that deserted that neighborhood and now live in the suburbs and worship there the other 50 (don't forget, they come for Easter too) weeks of the year! Had they moved and still worshipped there, the issue of closing would be a mute point. But no, they left, and are now weeping about closure!
And bigger point, NO ONE is encouraging them to come back and stay!!! The couple in charge there, like the total control and really don't want these people back. I think they would rather close than let in others with their ideas!
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#30127 Dec 28, 2009
Why does the pastor at DM keep the window open in winter? First it was the front window; today it is the northeast window. Is he having hot flashes? Temperature is going to be 12 degrees tonight. Not my idea of a heat wave!!!!!
Bialkowski

AOL

#30128 Dec 28, 2009
meaning wrote:
<quoted text>what do you mean? what has Bialkowski to do with adalbert's? stans? kanty's? I wonder what you mean?
The only one threatened by Bialkowski is Krysa, I believe.

Ask Nycz about Krysa.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#30129 Dec 28, 2009
Bialkowski wrote:
<quoted text>
The only one threatened by Bialkowski is Krysa, I believe.
Ask Nycz about Krysa.
Why would he be threatened by Bialkowski?
enonymous

Buffalo, NY

#30130 Dec 28, 2009
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
tv masses were taped before the ban went into effect...they are taped months in advance
yeah, yeah....easy excuse. Oh I forgot, the diocese uses those ALL the time. Bah Humbug!!
Bialkowski

AOL

#30131 Dec 28, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would he be threatened by Bialkowski?
Because Bialkowski's parishioners LOVE him, RESPECT him, and in turn Bialkowski is AVAILABLE to them, SERVES them and RESPECTS them!

Even more, Bialkowski enjoys the respect of the Polish Clergy.
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#30132 Dec 28, 2009
Lousy reasoning wrote:
<quoted text>
If anyone is called a lavender it is because they have given some reason to believe they are or because they have opened the sacristy closet and come out. Your reasoning is flawed. Does every judge or jury who finds a person guilty of something have to be also guilty of that same thing? You need a course in logic.
Moreover, if a Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion has to be certified by the diocese before they canbring Holy Communion to those infirm, homebound or otherwise unable to attend Mass, and that is the diocesan rule, then a young pastor who decides anyone can grab a host and take it to whomever they please is outside of diocesan policy and outside of Canon Law besides! He was wrong. He printed a retraction. He admitted it was wrong. And, in fact, it was wrong to just randomly allow anyone to grab a Host and take it to whomever they please.
You say it was that way in the early church. Indeed. And there was no need for ordination either. The community was the vehicleby which the presence of Christ became present. The clergy wanted power so they dreamed up that only they can cause transubstantiation. So, if you want to cite the early church,there is no need for a resident priest and certainly no need for a priest to preside at Mass like a lord.
So you choose... can't have it both ways.
1. Dunkirk Connection has called anonymous posters who disagree with her "lavenders". For example "You must be a lavender" is one of her favorite ad hominem lines. Some posters have now thrown that label back in her face and I'm sure it stings. I don't understand your judge/jury reference; it does not follow he comments to which you are responding.
2. A pastor may designate anyone to be a Eucharistic Minister as he sees fit. While it is a Diocesan Policy that they be trained, at least two LARGE parishes in the northtowns dismiss this policy and train their own parishioners as they see fit. This "policy" is not a CANON LAW, you are ill-informed.
3. If the priest changed is policy and apologized, as you say, the point is "Why does Dunkirk Connection continue to drag him through the mud?" What does he have t do to move on?
4. Ordination -- designation is also a tradition of the early church, the laying on of hands. If you don't accept transsubstantiation your other points are without merit since you clearly cannot be Catholic without accepting the mystery of faith.
makes logical sense to me.
UR Uninformed

Buffalo, NY

#30133 Dec 28, 2009
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Dunkirk Connection has called anonymous posters who disagree with her "lavenders". For example "You must be a lavender" is one of her favorite ad hominem lines. Some posters have now thrown that label back in her face and I'm sure it stings. I don't understand your judge/jury reference; it does not follow he comments to which you are responding.
2. A pastor may designate anyone to be a Eucharistic Minister as he sees fit. While it is a Diocesan Policy that they be trained, at least two LARGE parishes in the northtowns dismiss this policy and train their own parishioners as they see fit. This "policy" is not a CANON LAW, you are ill-informed.
3. If the priest changed is policy and apologized, as you say, the point is "Why does Dunkirk Connection continue to drag him through the mud?" What does he have t do to move on?
4. Ordination -- designation is also a tradition of the early church, the laying on of hands. If you don't accept transsubstantiation your other points are without merit since you clearly cannot be Catholic without accepting the mystery of faith.
You really don't seem to understand many of the points that you have commented on. Further, your understanding of basic theology is quite weak.
anonymous

United States

#30134 Dec 29, 2009
UR Uninformed wrote:
<quoted text>
You really don't seem to understand many of the points that you have commented on. Further, your understanding of basic theology is quite weak.
Amen!
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#30135 Dec 29, 2009
Article in today's Buff News talks about the pedophile priests from Ireland. Sex abuse scandals were covered up in Ireland and many of the Irish priests were sent to parishes in the U.S. So....is that why all the Irish parishes were left open and the ethnic parishes closed? Hmmmmm...... sure makes a lot of sense!!!!!?????
Henryk

Keene, NH

#30136 Dec 29, 2009
Wojciech wrote:
<quoted text>Where was Bialkowski? He proved himself adept at sticking in his nose where it didn't belong. Just ask Fr. Szczesniak. After all, doen't Bialkowski consider himself the savior or dean of Polonia?(Delusions of grandeur)
What does Szczesniak have to do with anything?
Canon Law

AOL

#30137 Dec 29, 2009
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I was speaking about the safeguarding of the Blessed Sacrament and the Canon that deals with a pastor's obligation to act in such a way.
Canon Law

AOL

#30138 Dec 29, 2009
4. The early church gathered and did not require a "priest" in order to break the bread.

As with the liturgy's development, what we accept as ritual was inserted to provide a distict gap between the laity and the clergy who wanted more and more power. What we have today is a faint and scant reflection of the early church.

So, which do you prefer the early church or the power cultivated by the clergy to widen the gap and assure the appropriation of power?
Two more points

AOL

#30139 Dec 29, 2009
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
1. to hold as an example a large parish or two that defies diocesan policy shows an ugly attitude toward authority and order; one hold up as a model not who seeks to bend the rules in favor of their own agenda, but one who uses the organization to further the Kingdom.

2. you must either be "just out of the gate" or failed/not paid attention in your ecclesiology course.
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#30140 Dec 29, 2009
UR Uninformed wrote:
<quoted text>
i know you are but what am i...nyah nyah
OLD TIMER

Buffalo, NY

#30141 Dec 29, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
400+ on Christmas mass. Congrats. I guess people visiting others for Christmas really had nothing to do with that inflated number or was it all parishioners. What about the other 51 weeks through out the year.
All ican say is WAS YOU THERE CHARLEY IF NOT SHUT UP
Praying For Dollars

AOL

#30142 Dec 29, 2009
Bialkowski wrote:
<quoted text>
Because Bialkowski's parishioners LOVE him, RESPECT him, and in turn Bialkowski is AVAILABLE to them, SERVES them and RESPECTS them!
Even more, Bialkowski enjoys the respect of the Polish Clergy.
Availability All For The Dollar. Clergy respect, get real!
Urinetown

AOL

#30143 Dec 29, 2009
Pani Dunkirk continues to write about her mother's catheter in hopes that it helps Mother Angela attain sainthood and in hopes of getting attention for herself should sainthood be attained. Could you imagine Pani Dunkirk on the front page of the Buffalo News, on local television and utimately live from St. Peter's Square. If someone in the Curia would tick her off could you imagine the international scene she would make. She would probably demand recompense by being designated a Vestal Virgin with her own temple being constructed in the Roman Forum. She'd probably go looking for the bones of early Christian Lavenders in all of the catacombs arounf Rome. Perhaps she would get lost in one of them and we would never hear from her again.
Respect

AOL

#30144 Dec 29, 2009
Praying For Dollars wrote:
<quoted text>Availability All For The Dollar. Clergy respect, get real!
For the dollar? Have you proof?

Implying there is not respect among the clergy - who does not respect him? You, my good man, "get real" and state who does not respect him among the clergy.
Ad hominem

AOL

#30145 Dec 29, 2009
Urinetown wrote:
Pani Dunkirk continues to write about her mother's catheter in hopes that it helps Mother Angela attain sainthood and in hopes of getting attention for herself should sainthood be attained. Could you imagine Pani Dunkirk on the front page of the Buffalo News, on local television and utimately live from St. Peter's Square. If someone in the Curia would tick her off could you imagine the international scene she would make. She would probably demand recompense by being designated a Vestal Virgin with her own temple being constructed in the Roman Forum. She'd probably go looking for the bones of early Christian Lavenders in all of the catacombs arounf Rome. Perhaps she would get lost in one of them and we would never hear from her again.
Personal attack - you lose credibility.

Get back to your rectory duties or whatever you do all day long.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cartoon contest organizer known for inflammator... 13 hr serfs up 128
kelly ripa has ruined michael strahan (Mar '13) 21 hr username 72
News Perspective: Hitler, as seen by Russia 21 hr Pro Ukraine 24
News Madoff son found dead of apparent suicide (Dec '10) Thu swedenforever 28
News Strangers Come To Hartford Student's Aid (Mar '09) Thu didusayhome 120
News Poll: Hillary Clinton most admired woman Thu Le Jimbo 1,067
News Gerry Adams sparks outrage as he says abduction... Wed John Smith 17
More from around the web