Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York. Read more
Feddup

Buffalo, NY

#22010 Apr 11, 2009
GET OVER IT wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I;m at my new church celebrating the same mass that i would have celebrated in my old church. FYI: I really don't think that my new church will be in any danger in round 2, It was untouched during round one, it has a big successful school and it is in the suburbs. actually, you could make the arguement that i traded up!
Care to divulge the name of this so called "wonderful" new parish that was a trade up in your eyes? Do tell...lol
Feddup

Buffalo, NY

#22011 Apr 11, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you STILL here?
yep she is...like that annoying little pebble that you cant shake loose from your shoe...lol
Spiewajmy - try again

AOL

#22012 Apr 11, 2009
GET OVER IT

Hamburg, NY

#22013 Apr 11, 2009
Feddup wrote:
<quoted text>
Care to divulge the name of this so called "wonderful" new parish that was a trade up in your eyes? Do tell...lol
Sure, its SS. Peter & Paul in Hamburg. YOU are welcome to stop by at any time. Sunday masses are: 7:30am, 9:15am, 10:45am, 12:15pm, & 5:00pm. The pastor Fr. Mark Wolski is really inspiring. He is joined by newly ordained Fr. Jim Kirkpatrick and FR. Dan Fiebelkorn is In Residence.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#22014 Apr 12, 2009
Spiewajmy wrote:
1. Weso&#322;y nam dzie&#324; dzi&#347; nasta&#322;,
Którego z nas ka&#380;dy &#380;&#261;da&#32 2;.
Tego dnia Chrystus zmartwychwsta&#322;.
Alleluja, alleluja!
2. Król niebieski nam zawita&#322;,
Jako &#347;liczny kwiat zakwita&#322;;
Po &#347;mierci si&#281; nam pokaza&#322;.
Alleluja, alleluja!
3. Piekielne moce zwojowa&#322;,
Nieprzyjaciele podepta&#322;,
Nad n&#281;dznymi si&#281; zmi&#322;owa&#322;.
Alleluja, alleluja!
4. Do trzeciego dnia tam mieszka&#322;,
Ojce &#347;wi&#281;te tam pociesza&#322;,
Potem i&#347;&#263; za Sob&#261; kaza&#322;.
Alleluja, alleluja!
5. Którzy w otch&#322;aniach mieszkali,
P&#322;aczliwie tam zawo&#322;ali,
Gdy Zbawiciela ujrzeli.
Alleluja, alleluja!
6. Zawitaj, przybywaj&#261;cy,
Bo&#380;y Synu wszechmog&#261;cy,
Wybaw nas z piekielnej mocy.
Alleluja, alleluja!
7. Wielkie tam wesele mieli,
Gdy Zbawieciela ujrzeli,
Którego z dawna &#380;&#261;dali.
Alelluja, alleluja!
8. Potem sw&#261; moc&#261; zmartwychwsta&#322;,
Piecz&#281;ci z grobu nie rusza&#322;,
Na stró&#380;e wielki strach powsta&#322;.
Alleluja, alleluja!
9. A gdy Chrystus Pan zmartwychwsta&#322;,
Mi&#322;o&#347;nikom si&#281; pokaza&#322;,
Anio&#322;y do Matki pos&#322;a&#322;.
Alleluja, alleluja!
10. O Anieli najmilejsi,
Id&#378;cie&#380; do Panny Naj&#347;wi&#281;tszej ,
Do Matki Mej najmilszej!
Alleluja, alleluja!
11. Ode Mnie J&#261; pozdrawiajcie
I weso&#322;o za&#347;piewajcie:
Królowo rajska, wesel si&#281;!
Alleluja, alleluja!
12. Potem z wielk&#261; Sw&#261; &#347;wiat&#322;o& #347;ci&#261;
Do Matki Swej przyst&#261;piwszy,
Pocieszy&#322; J&#261;, pozdrowiwszy.
Alleluja, alleluja!
13. Nape&#322;niona b&#261;d&#378; s&#322;odko&#347;ci,
Matko Moja, i rado&#347;ci
Po onej wielkiej &#380;a&#322;o&#34 7;ci.
Alleluja, alleluja!
14. Witaj&#380;e, Jezu najs&#322;odszy,
Synaczku mój najmilejszy,
Pocieszenie wszelkiej duszy
Alleluja...
15. Jestem ju&#380; bardzo weso&#322;a.
Gdym Ci&#281; &#380;ywego ujrza&#322;a,
Jakobym si&#281; narodzi&#322;a.
Alleluja...
16. Rado&#347;nie z Nim rozmawia&#322;a,
Usta Jego ca&#322;owa&#322;a,
W rado&#347;ci si&#281; z Nim rozsta&#322;a.
Alleluja...
17. Przez Twe &#347;wi&#281;te zmrtwychwstanie
Daj nam grzechów odpuszczenie,
A potem duszne zbawienie!
Alleluja...
Wesolego Allelujah! This will be the only Polish words we will see this Easter. The generics have taken over. Thank you.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#22015 Apr 12, 2009
I'm getting ready to go to my first "generic" Easter Mass right now. Alleluia.
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#22016 Apr 12, 2009
The closing of linked parishes was the most painful in the process of JFG. Take a look at those parishes and see who now makes the decisions
in the new parish.
unknown

United States

#22017 Apr 12, 2009
GET OVER IT wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, its SS. Peter & Paul in Hamburg. YOU are welcome to stop by at any time. Sunday masses are: 7:30am, 9:15am, 10:45am, 12:15pm, & 5:00pm. The pastor Fr. Mark Wolski is really inspiring. He is joined by newly ordained Fr. Jim Kirkpatrick and FR. Dan Fiebelkorn is In Residence.
You are bery blessed to be a member of this parish!
If it were closer I too would join! However not all of us are given this kind of option. Many of us have to settle for what we have in our area. That is why we are so hurt!
OLDTIMER

Lockport, NY

#22018 Apr 12, 2009
i JUST ENJOYED THE MOST BEAUTIFUL POLISH MASS
AT SAINT ADALBERTS BASILICA .The polish singing was great To those who want to share this come any sunday morning at 9AM .there is plenty of parking and room in church
HAPPY EASTER
unknown wrote:
<quoted text>
If it were closer I too would join! However not all of us are given this kind of option. Many of us have to settle for what we have in our area. That is why we are so hurt!
PastPresentFutur e

York, ME

#22020 Apr 12, 2009
If I were clsoer I too would join with Father Mark Wolski - he is one of the most wonderful priest Buffalo could have. He is welcoming to everyone, especially the ones returning after a long time away- I know this first hand - he is a great preist and one of the few who are a real asset to the catholic faith!
Wolska

AOL

#22021 Apr 12, 2009
unknown wrote:
<quoted text>
Forget that Wolska. Can't stand that one.
anonymous

Westfield, NY

#22023 Apr 12, 2009
Feddup wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess what?..Feddup will continue to be a thorn in the side of the diocese and fight the injustices that they have inflicted upon the the WNY faith communities. I dont much care if they like it or not. My voice will not be silenced
Does Feddup have any other ministries besides being a thorn? Does he/she criticize any other source of injustice besides Catholicism?
The Diocese has shrunk a great deal in recent years, in my opinion due to widespread self indulgence. One parish, which offered something for everybody, shrank a great deal since 1980, even though many new homes were built nearby. That parish would offer a prolife presentation, then the next month invite pro choice peace and justice groups to promote their political agenda.
They had "Good News Sundays" teaching Jesus is the only way, then next month another group would push the New Age religion, teaching something different. They had an Adoration chapel, which was great, but removed the Blessed Sacrament from the church. This sent the message that the Blessed Sacrament is just an "option", like prolife, only for those who feel strongly about it. They indulged in liturgical abuses. They had no crucifix for the church, which they made into an auditorium. They offered equal time to every opinion, including Catholicism, as long as anyone felt strongly about it. They also developed many wonderful ministries. There were good people attracted by the parish, but in the long run the self-indulgence killed it, not the Bishop. Young adults today just aren't interested in parishes where every opinion or preference is given the same weight as the Creed. They either go other places or no place on Sunday. If the Catholic Vatican or Catholic doctrine is so bad, why should they bother with Catholic "faith communities"? I encourage Feddup to lay down the thorn, and join a parish, not a "faith community", where they feel comfortable. While I think the parish I referred to helped cause its own demise, many other parishes were closed for other reasons beyond their control. I am sad for the loss of any parish, but the important thing now is to strengthen the parishes we still have.
Anonymous

AOL

#22024 Apr 12, 2009
When and if the second round does start, hopefully more will stand up for themselves. Filing an appeal is not as hard as the DOB wants you to think it is. And representation can be less expensive than you think. Start researching now who to write to when the event happens. Anyone can get the process started and the goal is to get the diocese completely wrapped up in red tape and appeal notices. Buys tons of time, the time you need to get the appeal together. If you do not take the initiative, don't cry that you are closing. It is being done right now, and can be done by any church that is announced to be closing in the future.
anonymous

Westfield, NY

#22025 Apr 12, 2009
Anonymous wrote:
When and if the second round does start, hopefully more will stand up for themselves. Filing an appeal is not as hard as the DOB wants you to think it is. And representation can be less expensive than you think. Start researching now who to write to when the event happens. Anyone can get the process started and the goal is to get the diocese completely wrapped up in red tape and appeal notices. Buys tons of time, the time you need to get the appeal together. If you do not take the initiative, don't cry that you are closing. It is being done right now, and can be done by any church that is announced to be closing in the future.
Do you really want to tie up your time and money, not to mention the time and money of other Catholics in the diocese, in politics and litigation? Wouldn't you rather spend extra time and money on evangelism, or opposing abortion? The larger question is not how can we keep our parish open, but why do parishes exist at all? The real question is why be Catholic at all? If you really distrust the Catholic diocese, why pour time and money into a Catholic parish (that inevitably will have to support that diocese). Some people are deciding they really aren't into Catholicism at all; if is just the art and music, or good friends, or familiar memories you want, you can get or preserve those things somehow without belonging to any religion at all. I think we will have some museums soon that can meet this need.
But if you actually believe the Catholic faith, you will probably be more interested in things like sacraments, evangelism and prolife, than in the posting that I copied above. I love my parish but I love my Catholic faith even more.
unknown

United States

#22028 Apr 13, 2009
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really want to tie up your time and money, not to mention the time and money of other Catholics in the diocese, in politics and litigation? Wouldn't you rather spend extra time and money on evangelism, or opposing abortion? The larger question is not how can we keep our parish open, but why do parishes exist at all? The real question is why be Catholic at all? If you really distrust the Catholic diocese, why pour time and money into a Catholic parish (that inevitably will have to support that diocese). Some people are deciding they really aren't into Catholicism at all; if is just the art and music, or good friends, or familiar memories you want, you can get or preserve those things somehow without belonging to any religion at all. I think we will have some museums soon that can meet this need.
But if you actually believe the Catholic faith, you will probably be more interested in things like sacraments, evangelism and prolife, than in the posting that I copied above. I love my parish but I love my Catholic faith even more.
In reading your post three things become very evident. First is that you have really not been impacted by the journey in faith and grace,two you have many other options open to you. Third maybe you are clergy, not sure.

What you do not understand is that many of us do not have the options you did. It is easy to dismiss us all as whiners, but the facts are that we do not have available to us all of the churches parishes and schools that you do.

In my area, we do not have any catholic education in the entire county. Churches that have been merged are miles and miles apart. It is OK in the summertime, but winter can be very difficult. One poster suggested a parish. There are many I would love to join, however, I am not your once a week Mass Catholic. I like to attend daily Mass, First Friday adoration, Scripture class. etc. To drive in excess of 45 min to attend these services is not realistic.

You have to understand the faith is very important to me. The church is my community, the place where I go for prayer and support. Up until this journey the church encouraged the sense of community. Many sacraments were geared around community, one that comes to mind is baptism. Used to be the family had a private baptism after Mass. Now we baptize in a group during a Mass. I thought that the reason for this was to welcome the new member to the community.

Church dinners, socials, and coffee hours were also set up to develop the "community". Now you are saying that to grieve over the devastation of these communities is unreasonable? To try to fight to keep a parish open, makes you not a "true Catholic"?

When you continually ask the people to support a community by their time, talent and prayer then pull the rug out from under them there is going to be resistance. The church is always telling us this is "our" church and we need to support it. That is all well and good until the DOB decides that the church needs to close, then it it theirs to do with what they please.

I agree it is about time for catholics to stop following bishops and clergy blindly. We need to question everything, and if litigation is necessary so be it. Up until now the people have had no say. It is time for the DOB to hear us an listen to us. They have not listened to letters and other forms of communication, maybe they will listen to lawsuits.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#22029 Apr 13, 2009
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Does Feddup have any other ministries besides being a thorn? Does he/she criticize any other source of injustice besides Catholicism?
The Diocese has shrunk a great deal in recent years, in my opinion due to widespread self indulgence. One parish, which offered something for everybody, shrank a great deal since 1980, even though many new homes were built nearby. That parish would offer a prolife presentation, then the next month invite pro choice peace and justice groups to promote their political agenda.
They had "Good News Sundays" teaching Jesus is the only way, then next month another group would push the New Age religion, teaching something different. They had an Adoration chapel, which was great, but removed the Blessed Sacrament from the church. This sent the message that the Blessed Sacrament is just an "option", like prolife, only for those who feel strongly about it. They indulged in liturgical abuses. They had no crucifix for the church, which they made into an auditorium. They offered equal time to every opinion, including Catholicism, as long as anyone felt strongly about it. They also developed many wonderful ministries. There were good people attracted by the parish, but in the long run the self-indulgence killed it, not the Bishop. Young adults today just aren't interested in parishes where every opinion or preference is given the same weight as the Creed. They either go other places or no place on Sunday. If the Catholic Vatican or Catholic doctrine is so bad, why should they bother with Catholic "faith communities"? I encourage Feddup to lay down the thorn, and join a parish, not a "faith community", where they feel comfortable. While I think the parish I referred to helped cause its own demise, many other parishes were closed for other reasons beyond their control. I am sad for the loss of any parish, but the important thing now is to strengthen the parishes we still have.
You have interesting points but even if we "strengthen parishes", the problem that still exists is that the DOB can and has closed strong parishes already. The debate isn't if we should strengthen parishes. The issue is that the DOB seems to close parishes according to their own agenda and can't be trusted to make logical choices. And as you said, the parish closing reasons is beyond teir control when you have a group of DOB decision makers who want it THEIR way.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#22030 Apr 13, 2009
GET OVER IT wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I;m at my new church celebrating the same mass that i would have celebrated in my old church. FYI: I really don't think that my new church will be in any danger in round 2, It was untouched during round one, it has a big successful school and it is in the suburbs. actually, you could make the arguement that i traded up!
But you can't be sure can you?With these incapable decision makers in the chancery, they may have their own agenda and once again make their own agenda driven decision and close the parishes that were logical to keep open. So now the parishes have to hold their breath and amke sure they're in good with the decision makers. You will not be able to freely practice your religion when you are looking over your shoulder worrying about the future.
unknown

United States

#22031 Apr 13, 2009
interesting question, why are posts either being delayed, or removed? anyone know?
Jerry Olek

Hyattsville, MD

#22032 Apr 13, 2009
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
We who love our faith are just voicing our honest views and consciences as was suggested by Vatican II when we protest the authoritarian rule of a few priests and nun...BTW,Ethics and Religion, a PBS program, ran a story on appeals to stop closings of Catholic Churces in the United States....It said churches in ten U.S. cities have appeals in process...They didnt pass judgment but made this honest dissent in the church and the use of valid processes to people attention...The strategic purpose of those appealing church closings is not just to tie up the DOB in red tape although that is a good tactic, but to bring proper attention to unjust acts of authoritarian leadership in the RC church in the United States and elsewhere. I believe that the closing of viable church communities and inflicting emotional suffering on innocent church goers is not only an ethical and moral transgression but also a SIN in the eyes of our Creator. If we had appealed our church closing many of us could have attended this Easter Sunday in the church of our choosing and not someone else's dictate....APPEAL PROTEST, ADVERTISE INJUSTICE WHEN IT HAPPENS TO YOU!!!!
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#22034 Apr 13, 2009
unknown wrote:
interesting question, why are posts either being delayed, or removed? anyone know?
I've noticed this also. Feddup has also noted this. The only time in the past when posts are tampered with is when there is bad language (in which case the site will not allow you to post) or a duplicate post (you have entered the same post twice). Double posted entries are usually removed within an hour or so. But what's up all of a sudden? maybe 21K posts has overloaded the memory?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News White House blasts New York Post article on Cli... 6 hr spud 107
News Snowy Northeast To Get Brief Thaw Before Cold W... Wed Carlos Burle Port... 1
News Poll: Hillary Clinton most admired woman Mar 24 Man 302
News Suspected Ponzi scheme investigated (Jul '10) Mar 23 John the greatest 226
News Giuliani's fiery rhetoric clouds legacy of 'Ame... Mar 23 Lawrence Wolf 5
News Is your DMV data safeguarded properly? Mar 23 Man 2
News How Exactly Do You Define Upstate New York? Mar 23 Man 23
More from around the web