Cruel and Unusual? Dying in solitary...

Cruel and Unusual? Dying in solitary in a New York prison

There are 111 comments on the www.sevendaysvt.com story from Dec 18, 2008, titled Cruel and Unusual? Dying in solitary in a New York prison. In it, www.sevendaysvt.com reports that:

After nearly two decades in prison, Dagnone is still haunted by an incident he witnessed at Upstate a little over a year ago. For two days and nights in December 2004, he listened helplessly as a 19-year-old inmate named Christopher Campos suffered repeated seizures in a nearby cell. Campos later died in the infirmary because the prison's medical staff assumed he was faking it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sevendaysvt.com.

Just Saying

AOL

#21 Jan 1, 2009
The obvious answer is to close all prisons, and release all prisoners immediately, so that none will ever have to die in jail!

(By the way, for those who can't tell, the above statement is an example of sarcasm!)
Mr Unpopular

United States

#22 Jan 2, 2009
How dare you be sarcastic about a situation such as this Mr. Just Saying!!! I am astounded at your lack of respect for this Convicted Violent Felon's LIFE!! He was a person once too you know...probably like when he was 5 or 6 before he started breaking laws, but he was....at one time...I SWEAR!!!

I know it would put a lot of good people out of work, but I stay with my contention that for a lot of prisoners...child molesters...guys who sell drugs to kids, murderers, people who assault pregnant women, etc....just shoot 'em. ANd if it were my kid that broke these laws...I'D SHOOT 'EM!!

“Whats the haps peeps”

Since: Aug 07

Jacksonville, Fl

#23 Jan 2, 2009
ZZZZZZTTTT, ZZZZZZTTTTTT, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTT, ohh thats just me working the execution chamber for the state of NY putting lifers and death row inmates on the speed line to the chair
fred

United States

#24 Jan 2, 2009
never happen, the chair that is. we have several inmates siting on death row, and not a one will ever get fried. to liberal of a state. we are getting of subject. people lost jobs because of improper care. not burn em at the stake. i still believe it is impossible for an inmate to seize for 2 days w/o someone doing something.
sayheykid

United States

#25 Jan 3, 2009
i'm not sticking up for anyone here, but this was on the malone topix forum in august of 08, and the inmate did die due to not having proper medical care. the dr. overseeing same has the initials of EW and the phys. assist. who did not see him or provide necessary care has the initials of LK. now i agree that he had to do something to be put there, but while he was there, unfortunately for us NY tax payers we are responsible for him, and now his family has sued the state and we will be paying them. the county and state prison systems are a mess because there are so many liberals in the legal system who get to say just what inmates are entitled to, but again unfortunately for us taxpayers we are getting it twofold for a dr. and her pa. who did not provide proper medical care for this inmate. not a bleeding heart, just sick to death of paying people to do a job and then paying more when they don't.
William Wallace

United States

#26 Jan 3, 2009
Ever been to to local ER room, you sit their waiting to see a doctor an in walks an inmate in chains and tow CO's and as we wait to be called the inmate goes right in and is attended to. When we ask the hospital personal why the inmate was treated first we are told that the State pays more that our insurance companies. yeh probably nothing wrong with that right?
sayheykid

United States

#27 Jan 3, 2009
the inmates go to a special room just inside the ER where they are not seated with the general public, saw this the other day while at the Er and asked about it, was told by the RN that the room is there so the general public does not feel uncomfortable in the waiting room with the inmates. asked if that meant they were seen before others and she said no, everyone is triaged the same. i'd like to think she was being honest. i believe the state pays medicare rates for county and state inmates, so the hospital would make less from inmates then the normal insurance companies. same way in the outpatient surgical area, inmates are kept on a side aisle of rooms away from the general public, yet they weren't taken ahead of myself or my spouse when we have been there for procedures.

Since: Oct 07

Bronx, NY

#29 Jan 4, 2009
sayheykid wrote:
the inmates go to a special room just inside the ER where they are not seated with the general public, saw this the other day while at the Er and asked about it, was told by the RN that the room is there so the general public does not feel uncomfortable in the waiting room with the inmates. asked if that meant they were seen before others and she said no, everyone is triaged the same. i'd like to think she was being honest. i believe the state pays medicare rates for county and state inmates, so the hospital would make less from inmates then the normal insurance companies. same way in the outpatient surgical area, inmates are kept on a side aisle of rooms away from the general public, yet they weren't taken ahead of myself or my spouse when we have been there for procedures.
Interesting posts, you. Thanks. So, you seem rather mixed up on this. I definitely am, no doubt. I'm just to the liberal side of moderate, not a bleeding heart at all. When I read this story, I couldn't muster up any pity for this guy. I "thought" it was lousy that this should happen to anyone, but with the information I was given, I "felt" nothing. In other words, if the facts were reported correctly, me thinks this was one bad hombre.
Now, you did hint that "liberalism" itself was the problem. Not black and white, a grey area, but the problem. I felt the conservative guy in me thought that this guy probably got much better than he ever would have given.
In other words, without liberalism, there is no story here, tough tittts, you're dead pal, good riddance, who cares, and NO ONE IS WRITING A STORY ABOUT IT.
Both points of view are valid.
It's why I cannot commit to either far right or left.
I know, a post about nothing. But there it is.
shannon s

Lincolnton, NC

#30 Jan 4, 2009
I hardly call this chain gangs, they are seperate from one an other,free to roam and get the garbage,what a wonderful way of life,NOT. Anyway my point is still earn your keep!! I am from Brushton,born and raised but only spent about two years inside Malone. I understand that you do get a lot of offenders from the larger cities,correct me if im wrong here though,isn't that what the taxpayers agreed to? I mean it's up to a vote if the facilities are built? So im confused do they want jobs in Franklin County or a larger Social Services building? I don't know the answer for Malone,but sure wish they would do something i was so wanting to return home,but don't want to go back to nothing, you know what i mean?
Look all i know is these issues have been and will continue to be hot topics,i doubt anyone could solve them. We just need to work on and improve the system that we currently have in place,and put it to the best use for both the criminals and non-criminals to benefit. Please don't take the word benefit out of context here,by that i don't mean lets give criminals more,trust me i think they can get a better education and meal than our children,thats not to say though that i think they deserve bread and water as my dad always saw fit,god love him. He was set in his ways,i however didn't take to his hard a.. ways of life,i always have looked at and seen both sides of every issue at hand. I do know though that like my dad,others to think and eye for an eye mentality. Nothing wrong with anyones opinion, we all have our own. Just wish people in our county full of small towns like Malone and Waynesville would have some compasion and understanding before they jump the gun. Criminal or not these are peoples lives,and the justice system is set up to help not hurt,isn't it? However i don't see that it always works in that manner.
Again thanks for allowing me to blurt out my thoughts here,i could go on and on as you all see,lol. I am one who still trusts that this world can be and will be a better place made possible with the people working together,i have hopes and dreams. Please someone tell me that im not crazy here,there has to be more people out here wanting that.Honest feedback is welcomed!
shannon s

Lincolnton, NC

#31 Jan 4, 2009
One more thing, to Mr.Unpopular,what you said about shooting your own child,let me hope that, that would not be as easily done as it was said! I mean really if it came down to it,could you? would you? and if you answered yes to even one of these then how about this, could YOU live with YOUR choice? How would that make you any better a person than those behind bars?
sayheykid

United States

#32 Jan 5, 2009
is this thread about Dagnone, the inmate who allegedly listened to Campos having seizures, Campos the alleged victim of the prisons inadequate medical care, or the lack of proper medical care in the prison system? i did not look up either of the 2 inmates criminal pasts. they got into the system and ended up in upstate. a maxi-max facility where inmates find themselves when they can't even conform to living in a prison. at the point when Campos became the 'victim' we the taxpayers took another hit in the wallet. at that point i don't give a damn what Campos did to get where he was. we pay a very generous salary to the medical staff to work in the prisons. in numbers many have left private practice to work the prisons, pay plus benefits, who could blame them. my point is that now we pay the Dr. her PA. and Campos family. i don't have any empathy for either of the 2 inmates. i have alot of disgust towards 2 well paid medical 'professionals' who thought that 'pseudo-seizures' meant fake and so left him untreated so he could die and we can now pay his family. i'm not in the medical profession, but if you don't know what a diagnosis means don't you look it up or at least contact the treating hospital who sent him back to you. come on, how much more does the criminal justice system end up costing us, because professionals don't due their jobs!?
sayheykid

United States

#33 Jan 5, 2009
one-eyed jack - thank you for a thoughtful look into my perspective. i have tried to clarify where i was going with my posts. i did not see this as a post about either of the inmates but about the medical aspect. you may be correct, i may be confused. thank you for giving me something to think about.

“Whats the haps peeps”

Jacksonville, Fl

#34 Jan 5, 2009
In my opinion they shouldn't get fed, a bed, schooling, medical care, or any other tidbit from the taxpayers maybe it's high time that families of inmates pay for there incarceration

“Whats the haps peeps”

Jacksonville, Fl

#36 Jan 6, 2009
retro, terrible things to inmates??? give me a break lucky many of them aren't just given death sentences if it was up to me and do some dang population control and speed line to the lethal injection chamber so i don't have to pay my tax dollar to see them eat, sleep, and stay warm behind bars for decades. As for the visitors well how many are caught trying to bring in drugs and other illegal things to there con relatives so to me that's a CO doing his job very well
fred

United States

#37 Jan 6, 2009
thank you jc
fred

United States

#38 Jan 6, 2009
although their are a few bad apples. the families get a distorted view on how we do our job and become biased. plus the inmates complain about miss treatment all the time and the families think we are bullies. 99.9% of the time it is fabricated though, because the inmate is looking for attention.
Rugga

Brentwood, NY

#39 Oct 28, 2009
no matter how bad a person is my belief is that nobody necessarily deserves to die. God takes lives 4 specific reasons because what goes around comes around but i think u guys r really takin ur comments out of proportion. yeah he killed sumone but what does his sickness have 2 do with what crime he committed. he could have had trouble out here and people could've been looking 4 him. nobody knows. yall need to not juss look in ur eyes but also in the eyes of the criminal.
getalife

South Bethlehem, NY

#40 Oct 28, 2009
Rugga wrote:
no matter how bad a person is my belief is that nobody necessarily deserves to die. God takes lives 4 specific reasons because what goes around comes around but i think u guys r really takin ur comments out of proportion. yeah he killed sumone but what does his sickness have 2 do with what crime he committed. he could have had trouble out here and people could've been looking 4 him. nobody knows. yall need to not juss look in ur eyes but also in the eyes of the criminal.
He choose his destiny. His victim did not.
City Slicker

Oneonta, NY

#41 Oct 29, 2009
Rugga wrote:
Why did you resusitate a topix thread... that is almost 10 months old and you don't live anywhere near Upstate New York.

Did you READ the story associated with this topix forum? If you did... did you actually understand it? Hardly.

The person that killed someone is not the issue of the story. The story is not about Sal Dagnone the murderer... it's about Christopher Campos who was convicted of second-degree assault, menacing behavior and possession of a weapon. He was sentenced to one to three years in prison. The death of Christopher Campos while in prison... occured in 2004. He died of what appeard to be an epliletic seizure.

So.... EXACTLY what is your point of bringing up this dead topic?

Stupidity, Boredom or... a relationship with the murderer? Perhaps all three?

Well... the murderer didn't get the death penalty.

So what does your " nobody necessarily deserves to die" mean?

"yeah he killed sumone but what does his sickness have 2 do with what crime he committed" . What sickness? The murder or the epileptic?

"yall need to not juss look in ur eyes but also in the eyes of the criminal"....... I don't need to look into a murderer's eyes. He took someone's life. I have ZERO compassion for unjustifiable MURDER.

A convicted MURDERER should have no rights... since he/she took away the rights away of another living person. The MURDERER deserves all the misery he/she gets in prison... and then some.
TNT

United States

#42 Oct 30, 2009
Yeah and who even knows if "Dagnone's" story is the real deal. If Dagnone has been in prison for over 2 decades, he more than likely murdered someone himself. Just another trouble makin inmate, trying to get something started ( as Usual)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New York Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News America Ferrera responds: 'Thank you, Donald Tr... 3 hr wild child 4
News Writer Larry Kramer turning 80 but 'the fight's... 9 hr Lorraine Rebman 26
News No evidence of shooting, no arrests 16 hr goonsquad 2
News Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings ... (Oct '07) 19 hr Dunkirk Connection 59,832
News Today in history: Hitler commits suicide Fri ljc 7
James Xavier Barbour Is The Worst Artist in New... Fri Jennifer Romanov 1
News Clifton Park, Bethlehem among most affluent ups... Thu Mike R 80
More from around the web