Sunterra time share scam as promoted ...
Current Employee

United States

#24 Jul 8, 2006
Former Employee wrote:
I am a former member of management in Vegas. No matter what the problem, the answer is always NO. NO, you can't save your points over. NO you can't reserve at that resort (its ALWAYS booked.) NO you can't have a refund, etc etc... SO sad, given how much money people put out for this.
I don't know how many times I tried to go to bat for the members to resolve a customer service issue.. Of course, never with any success.
I feel terrible for anyone who decided to buy ANYTHING from Sunterra... your hassle is only beginning.
I work in a Sunterra Resort in the USA as a Sales Rep, and I have heard nothing but positive comments from current owners. I have worked at 2 other resorts outside of S/T and so far all I see is that this is a very flexible program, by far the best one I have seen. I had a couple the other day who had bought a points program in Sedona, AZ a year ago and they were having a problem Club Selecting their Mexico resort. The mix-up had to do with their Mexico resort changing phone numbers. Within 15 minutes, one of the Sales Managers called S/T customer service and got the matter solved for them, and the couple walked away satisfied and happy again. I have only worked with this company six months and so far I feel good about this product. Maybe I am not aware of what other problems are out there. I own 2 weeks of timeshare, 1 trades with RCI, one with II. I am not happy at all with RCI, but am happy I bought the resort. I know that no program is flawless, and as long as the sales rep explains the realities of any timeshare program, the client will be able to make an educated purchase. The sad problem is those reps that misrepresent what the product will do, and it's awful when the buyer discovers the truth. Reps "pitching heat" ought to be banished from selling this awesome product.
deco_du_jour

Villeneuve-loubet, France

#25 Jul 18, 2006
We made a stay to St-marteen last year and we thought we made a beautiful investment . We've been promised so many things and it's real nightmare today , I can't get any sleep anymore !
We had never heard about timeshare before; we only wish one thing: sell it back as soon as possible.
Help us , thanks .
george england

UK

#26 Jul 22, 2006
i am the owner of 7000 sunterra points at one time it was 70 gvc points i have recently been approached by a compant in tennerife saying they buy timeshare points they say you go out to tenerife and bring certifacate of ownership and passport for identification the offer is the prise you paid for them they photocopy the documents transfer the money to your account and when it as cleared you then send the origanal documents the price they have offered is 6000.00 the company is Quayside Enterprise SL
C. C. Parque Royal,
Bloque 10 Local50,
S/N EN Adeje.
38670 Santa Cruze DE Tenerife Canary Islands
Phone 0034692492665

if any body has any information about this please let me know
Stephanie

Monterey Park, CA

#27 Jul 23, 2006
Wow and I thought I was the only one having problems with them. I finally decided that I can't afford the points and wanted out. I don't even know how to begin. I am fairly dissapointed with reading all of this. I can't believe I was dupped too. Oh well, what can we do?
Claire

Wolverhampton, UK

#28 Jul 26, 2006
Hi, my parents have been approached by Quayside also, not sure what to do as offer quite good, even though they have to fly to Tenerife and pay over 400 for the privilage. Can anyone help, have you heard of them or their dealings.
george england wrote:
i am the owner of 7000 sunterra points at one time it was 70 gvc points i have recently been approached by a compant in tennerife saying they buy timeshare points they say you go out to tenerife and bring certifacate of ownership and passport for identification the offer is the prise you paid for them they photocopy the documents transfer the money to your account and when it as cleared you then send the origanal documents the price they have offered is 6000.00 the company is Quayside Enterprise SL
C. C. Parque Royal,
Bloque 10 Local50,
S/N EN Adeje.
38670 Santa Cruze DE Tenerife Canary Islands
Phone 0034692492665
if any body has any information about this please let me know
Warren

Calgary, Canada

#29 Jul 28, 2006
I can't comment on Sunterra but my wife and I "purchased" from another well known resort somewhere in the US recently. We were inticed by an extra week. As it turned out we could not get written details of the extra week, even when asked. On our return to Canada from our vacation three weeks later we were able to get our money fully refunded because there is one thing that these resorts don't like to hear and that is the word "misrepresentation". A threat to refer the matter to the California Attorney General on the basis of misrepresentation solved our problem.

I pass this information on for what it's worth.
sheiba UK

Hounslow, UK

#30 Aug 7, 2006
I am surprised by the comments that i am reading about Sunterra. I know someone who recently bought points and they a really happy with the service. mind you they are new to the whole thing. I would be interested in knowing what the current man fees are and how much they have increased.
Rod Maine

Rockland, ME

#31 Aug 7, 2006
What is up with this company?
Is St Martin part of Sunterra Europe?
Are the time share owners going to be loosers?
Janet Rohde

Brownsville, TX

#32 Aug 10, 2006
WILLIAM T OCONNOR wrote:
I AM HAVING THE SAME THING WITH SUNTERRA. ALL THE RESORT ARE BOOK-UP. I AM GOING TO SELL.
Good luck trying sell. I was trying to sell mine, and the realitors thought I had Worldmark and offered me $4,500 for my one week per year. When he found out I had Sunterra, he went on and on about what a scam Sunterra was and said he'd give me $400!! I would definitely be interested in a class action against this company!!!

Janet Rohde
Texas, USA
[email protected]

ps - did you guys know that you could use your points to pay for your annual dues??? This is a secret, something they don't advertise. You have to do it the first week of January (I have a calander year for my points). It is one way to not owe every year, since there is no other way to use your points anyway!
Janet Rohde

Brownsville, TX

#33 Aug 10, 2006
The largest complaint, by far, is the lack of availability. I paid $10,000 for 8,500 points back in the late 90's and have only been able to use them twice. Whenever I call and ask for a place, it is booked. What you are not told by the sales rep. is that you have to book TWO YEARS IN ADVANCE!! I'm sorry, but I don't know anyone who is in a position to do that. I know I am going on holiday a month before I go. Maybe a few months, but not usually. If you book at one of the 19, U.S. bound resorts, they SAY you only have to book THIRTEEN MONTHS in advance (still ridiculous!) but I have not been able to do that either. I have called and said "give me anything in the United States in the month of October...anywhere" and been told they have nothing. This is the largest complaint I have heard about this company. How does this ring as a good company to you? As someone who works there, can you tell me why booking a resort is made to be so difficult? The only reason I can think of is because we owners are deliberately being scammed...our money is paid, we are billed maint. fees every year and pay more...yet Sunterra does not provide any service. Who is the winner here?? Not the owner. We can't even throw away our membership and mourn the loss of our $10,000. We have to sell it to get rid of it; and no one wants to buy such a peice of crap. So, what do you, as a Sunterra employee, suggest we do?

Janet Rohde
Texas, USA
[email protected]
Current Employee wrote:
<quoted text>
I work in a Sunterra Resort in the USA as a Sales Rep, and I have heard nothing but positive comments from current owners. I have worked at 2 other resorts outside of S/T and so far all I see is that this is a very flexible program, by far the best one I have seen. I had a couple the other day who had bought a points program in Sedona, AZ a year ago and they were having a problem Club Selecting their Mexico resort. The mix-up had to do with their Mexico resort changing phone numbers. Within 15 minutes, one of the Sales Managers called S/T customer service and got the matter solved for them, and the couple walked away satisfied and happy again. I have only worked with this company six months and so far I feel good about this product. Maybe I am not aware of what other problems are out there. I own 2 weeks of timeshare, 1 trades with RCI, one with II. I am not happy at all with RCI, but am happy I bought the resort. I know that no program is flawless, and as long as the sales rep explains the realities of any timeshare program, the client will be able to make an educated purchase. The sad problem is those reps that misrepresent what the product will do, and it's awful when the buyer discovers the truth. Reps "pitching heat" ought to be banished from selling this awesome product.
Michael Hughes

United States

#34 Aug 14, 2006
Looking to Sell wrote:
I can't believe I was duped into this Sunterra scam. I want out so bad. Does anyone know who I can contact to try and sell this thing?
You may contact me, Michael Hughes at [email protected]
cathygallups

Marietta, GA

#35 Aug 16, 2006
I too have been trying to sell my Sunterra timeshare for now 3 years!! it's crazy. The maintenance fees are unbelievable!!! I have not paid them in two years. I can't see paying for the fees when we cannot even use the timeshare anywhere!! unbelievable!
Good luck on selling yours, if it works, let me know how you do it, PLEASE!
sheiba UK

London, UK

#36 Aug 18, 2006
cathygallups wrote:
I too have been trying to sell my Sunterra timeshare for now 3 years!! it's crazy. The maintenance fees are unbelievable!!! I have not paid them in two years. I can't see paying for the fees when we cannot even use the timeshare anywhere!! unbelievable!
Good luck on selling yours, if it works, let me know how you do it, PLEASE!
Before looking on this website i was considering buying, could you give examples of how management fees have increased.
Heike Beauchaine

Tulare, CA

#37 Aug 25, 2006
I'm looking up Sunterra because we have had so much trouble using our points, can't get reservations, getting bills with unwarranted exhorbitant late-charges, hardnosed phone reception, etc. We need to get a class action lawsuit in motion!
Heike Beauchaine

Tulare, CA

#38 Aug 25, 2006
Current Employee wrote:
<quoted text>
When you say "as long as the sales rep explains the realities" it depends on what realities you mean. Your chances of obtaining a booking depend on whatever membership "color" you are. If you have a gold membership you get a whole different reception than your "regulars", I guess. The Sunterra operators are in India!? If you ask about your timeshare obligations, they go through this long "polite" spiel. But they misled me concerning the separate relationship/billing processes between my home resort vs. Sunterra, for example. It took me two phone calls to my home resort, responding to warning notices from them, to figure out that the Sunterra rep mislead me and there exists a non-relationship between my home resort and Sunterra. Now I'm getting compounded high late charges from my home resort, even though my calls made it clear to their rep that I misunderstood the (non)relationship. I couldn't understand how I still owed over $400, when I just paid the Sunterra representative over $400! The Sunterra rep assured me that my payment met all my financial obligations regarding my timeshare membership, which turned out not to be true! My home resort doesn't care that I responded to their notices, that they failed to educate me concerning the separation between Sunterra and them. Once I understood, I paid the amount of the biannual dues, but they are once again doubling that cost, saying that's for late fees and legal charges! My bill, one month after paying over $200, is again in excess of $400. Is that the realities we should know about? I'd say it's more like, our ignorance is opportunity for their financial windfall!
Heike Beauchaine

Tulare, CA

#39 Aug 25, 2006
Concerning booking, we bought 2 years ago, and have had little luck using the 14,000 yearly points we bought. We banked the maximum possible and were in jeopardy of losing 14,000 points this year. We still have 2 free Interval International weeks that we can't seem to book. Every attempt is met with, "not available at that time". But in calling the same resort that's not available via Interval or Sunterra, the same dates were open if I paid outright for the stay. So there was availability! Just not for us "regulars". Inquiring with a rep about what happens when openings occur due to cancelation, it was explained that those are the "special get aways" offered us at a "reduced price". That's smart- we pay for a suite-but all's occupied when we need it-so we pay an additional "reduced price" so we can book a stay. What a gig! What hotel wouldn't like that...lure customers into biannual payments, claim no availability to members because it's high season, even though the rooms are not all occupied, continue to book rooms for guests who pay per night, and keep member payment obligations enforced whether serving them or not! Wow, what a gig!
Alicia Sagherian

Blue Diamond, NV

#40 Aug 28, 2006
wow... i havent heard anything like this before, so far i havent had any problem with my SunOptions. i bought Epic in 1999 and since then have converted into Sunterra's trust and have been very happy with the results and service.
Laura Stirling UK

UK

#42 Sep 11, 2006
Following my earlier request, I have now cancelled my direct debit with GE, copied to Sunterra and Trading Standards, highlighting gross misrepresentation, they do not own the resorts, can never give you where you want, despite asking for anything any time. They never respond to emails etc. The only holiday I ever got was the "free" holiday just before completing the final documentation and this freebie has now cost me over over 1500.
FoolsGold

AOL

#43 Sep 11, 2006
Annette McGibbon wrote:
In 2000 we read in the news paper about other families in the same situation as us and if interested to get in touch with The Timeshare Consumers Association who then put our case forward to Lawyers in Glasgow ...We were advised by our legal team, to be in the Action all management fees had to be paid to date but not to use our holidays or attend any presentations as this would look as if we were accepting the contract.
I am not familiar with this scam but it sounds as if the law firm was allied with the fraud.
rosie latter

UK

#44 Sep 16, 2006
i am sorry so many people have had a bad deal from sunterra, we have been members since 1999 and have had super holidays, all my family have used our points and always had very good acccommodation, if you use the 59 days or less when booking, you can get a good deal, although it now seems they are putting sunterra europe up for sale, i feel it may be a little more worrying, does anyone know more about it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nevada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Fix: Flesh-peddler lays bare Senate plans i... Jul 9 Cat74 5
News GOP abandons rancher over racist remarks (Apr '14) Jul 8 Anti-Tea bagger 118
News What education savings bill will mean for low-i... Jul 8 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 18
News With Sandoval opting against Senate run, how wi... Jun '15 wild child 1
Jessica Williams Status Update (Nov '13) Jun '15 Bunny 6
News Teacher, poet Gloria Oberg dies at age 86 (Jul '11) Jun '15 Ciara Speace 4
Mexican Trash Brian Sandoval Jun '15 Pissed Off Conser... 1
More from around the web