Nev. legislation raises stink over ai...

Nev. legislation raises stink over air fresheners

There are 22 comments on the WHDH story from Mar 15, 2011, titled Nev. legislation raises stink over air fresheners. In it, WHDH reports that:

Critics say a Nevada bill banning air fresheners and candles in public places would lead to stinky rooms and prohibit priests from using candles in Mass.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHDH.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Storm Warning

De Forest, WI

#1 Mar 16, 2011
they should ban this corporate crap. most of it is used to cover up rich womens farts any how

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#2 Mar 16, 2011
This bill is going a bit too far. If a place is candlelit, then allergy sufferers should know they have no business being there. I think there are some reasonable compromises that can be made.

Places that are expected to be scented or have candles should be automatically exempt. A candlelit restaurant does not hide that fact, and you can usually see that through the windows. Now, I would have no problem going along with mandatory labeling. "Allergy Warning: Scented products are in use here." If you don't like a scented establishment, use a non-scented alternative.

Of course, municipal places and public transportation are other matters. With private cab companies, they could ask if any passengers have scent preferences or allergies. But with buses, planes, and municipal buildings, there probably should be scent restrictions, since there are no alternative services.

On the restroom issue, I see an alternative. Provide a single-stall, unscented, unisex restroom for those with allergies. That way, those who would rather smell perfume than urine, period blood, and feces can use the regular restrooms, and those with allergies can use the unisex one. And make it handicapped equipped just to be safe.

If we really want to make a difference, we could make it possible for handicapped persons to sue the police for abuses. I remember the one deaf guy who was having trouble in the restroom. Guess what the police did? Ordered him to come out, and when he couldn't comply (deaf), they tear-gassed him. And when he fought to try to breath, they beat him for being "combative." Lets hold a cop underwater for several minutes and see if they don't become "combative" too.

Now where do we draw the line? CFL bulbs give some people headaches or trigger migraines, yet more places are going to those for energy and environmental reasons. Should we ban CFLs because they make some people ill? Then there are high pressure mercury and sodium lamps. If the outer glass shell gets broken, the lamp can release lots of UV light into the room. While skin cancer is a danger, the biggest danger is permanent eye injury. Ways to reduce that problem would be to put cages around the lights to help prevent breakage (say from basketballs in a gym) and use the more expensive variation that extinguishes the light if the outer shell is broken. Yet where are laws on this?

And we see here the liberal conflict. They hate individuals and hate big industry, but if they can use individual rights as an excuse to harm industry, they will.
The Monkey

Hampton, VA

#3 Mar 16, 2011
That's what they need all right, another fkn law!

Nevada really needs a better class of crooked politician...

“I love to gamble”

Since: Dec 10

New Bern, NC

#4 Mar 16, 2011
We use lots of candles, especially when we can't afford electricity. Bologna sandwiches by candlelight always puts J48 in the mood.

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#5 Mar 16, 2011
seems to me if you have an year around allergy it is far better to either wear a mask [excluding banks, convenient stores]. and not attempt to have a minority impose its will on the masses
EducateYourself

United States

#6 Mar 17, 2011
When you consider the cost of the negative health effects of air "fresheners" and other air pollution, this bill is one of the few truly useful and cost-reducing bills to come out of any U.S. legislature in recent times.

Many Air Fresheners Have Harmful Ingredients
"86 percent (12 of 14 top sellers) of air freshener products tested have harmful phthalates in them according to tests... Some of those tested were sold as “unscented” or “all-natural.” Phthalates are known to cause hormonal abnormalities, birth defects, and reproductive problems. None of the products tested listed phthalates on their labels."
"Researchers have also detected other chemicals of concern to human health in these products as well. The European Consumers’ Organisation, BEUC (Bureau Europen des Consommateurs), commissioned a study in January 2005 to analyse the chemical substances present in indoor air following the use of air fresheners (including incense, natural products, scented candles, gels, aerosols, liquid and electric diffusers. The BEUC study found volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in these products at high levels and concluded that VOCs significantly contributed to indoor air pollution. In particular, the European study detected cancer-causing chemicals such as benzene and formaldehyde in some air fresheners. Benzene is known to cause leukemia in humans, and formaldehyde has been linked to cancers of the upper airways. The majority of products also contained allergens (such as limonene). People with allergies to these chemicals could have adverse reactions, including rashes or even asthma attacks, from exposure to air freshener products."
http://www.articlesbase.com/diy-articles/bewa... -

Asthma statistics:
"Asthma ranks among the most common chronic conditions in the United States, affecting an estimated 14.9 million persons in 1995 and causing over 1.5 million emergency department visits, about 500,000 hospitalizations, and over 5,500 deaths. The estimated direct and indirect monetary costs for this disease totaled $11.3 billion in 1998. Asthma disproportionately affects children and blacks. Within the general population, asthma affects females more than males; however, among children, it affects males more. The burden of asthma has been increasing over the past 20 years, especially among children."
"The prevalence among children ages 5 to 14 increased 74 percent, from 42.8 per 1,000 in 1980 to an average of 74.4 per 1,000 in 1993-94."

It has always amazed me that people fall for the marketing pitch that filling the air with toxic chemical smells equals "fresh."

Plum, Purplonia

#7 Mar 17, 2011
EducateYourself wrote:
When you consider the cost of the negative health effects of air "fresheners" and other air pollution, this bill is one of the few truly useful and cost-reducing bills to come out of any U.S. legislature in recent times.
Many Air Fresheners Have Harmful Ingredients
"86 percent (12 of 14 top sellers) of air freshener products tested have harmful phthalates in them according to tests... Some of those tested were sold as “unscented” or “all-natural.” Phthalates are known to cause hormonal abnormalities, birth defects, and reproductive problems. None of the products tested listed phthalates on their labels."
It has always amazed me that people fall for the marketing pitch that filling the air with toxic chemical smells equals "fresh."
Then just ban the toxic chemicals and keep the fresheners out of government buildings and mass transit.

I can tell you why asthma targets children and minorities more. Vitamin D deficiency.

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/news/20100128/vit...

The massive hysteria over sun overexposure, coupled with inadequate RDA levels for vitamin D, have caused most Americans to be deficient. When children are abused by being forcibly covered with sunscreen designed to deprive them of vitamin D, no wonder they are getting sick. Vitamin D helps prevent many types of cancer. As for racial minorities, evolution didn't intend for them to be here, so their dark skin is not equipped for getting adequate vitamin D through the skin. When we add under ripened vegetables/fruits which are over-processed to the mix, that makes it even worse. Africans, living in Africa and eating traditional foods in adequate amounts don't have the number of health problems African Americans have. So if you are Black, you may wish to take 2000-5000 IU daily and get regular 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 tests (don't get the test starting with 1,25).

“What is ChurchOfAnimated Bunny?”

Infinidox - infinite paradox

#8 Mar 17, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
This bill is going a bit too far.
count me in, purple girl

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#9 Mar 17, 2011
Terrence747 wrote:
<quoted text>
count me in, purple girl
her nick name is P/G
Storm Warning

De Forest, WI

#10 Mar 17, 2011
its about time they closed in on this toxic crap

Plum, Purplonia

#11 Mar 17, 2011
Storm Warning wrote:
its about time they closed in on this toxic crap
Lets start with the BS pumped out of DC and much of what is on television.

Plum, Purplonia

#12 Mar 17, 2011
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
her nick name is P/G
But I have no ties to P&G, the makers of a lot of these types of products.
Storm Warning

De Forest, WI

#13 Mar 18, 2011
Cynthia Dearing founder of the Toxic chemical injury network out of White sulfur springs Montana, Died from the filth they exposed her too,
Storm Warning

De Forest, WI

#14 Mar 18, 2011
Proctor and Gamble takes White consumers money and uses it to push communist propaganda them. 17.1 million in the last 10 years out of Green bay WI. Alone. they funded the projects of mr Jadin who is Scott walkers economic development director, Mr Jadin was never opposed by the democratic and or Union Machine something that ought to make the rank and file now so Upset say Hmmm. I think you guys are only getting half the story

“What is ChurchOfAnimated Bunny?”

Infinidox - infinite paradox

#15 Mar 18, 2011
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
her nick name is P/G
Like Proctor & Gamble? the companies that makes multiple produces - home base Cincinnati, OH - also P & G

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#16 Mar 18, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
But I have no ties to P&G, the makers of a lot of these types of products.
exactly that is why I used your proper name of P/G not to confuse the alias of & , psssssssssssssssssssssst yesterday was the wearing of the green there, purple , you stayed home ????

“....VETS”

WELCOME HOME

#17 Mar 18, 2011
Terrence747 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like Proctor & Gamble? the companies that makes multiple produces - home base Cincinnati, OH - also P & G
tsk tsk no like P/G see [&] is a fake identity , that is how they always get tripped up there is only one " / "

Plum, Purplonia

#18 Mar 18, 2011
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
exactly that is why I used your proper name of P/G not to confuse the alias of & , psssssssssssssssssssssst yesterday was the wearing of the green there, purple , you stayed home ????
I stayed home, but I was wearing house shoes with green on them. Nobody pinched me.

Plum, Purplonia

#19 Mar 18, 2011
Storm Warning wrote:
Proctor and Gamble takes White consumers money and uses it to push communist propaganda them. 17.1 million in the last 10 years out of Green bay WI. Alone. they funded the projects of mr Jadin who is Scott walkers economic development director, Mr Jadin was never opposed by the democratic and or Union Machine something that ought to make the rank and file now so Upset say Hmmm. I think you guys are only getting half the story
Well, P&G has been targets of a lot of propaganda over the years. In the 80's, the urban legends said they gave lots of money to the Church of Satanism. Of course, those were not the only hurtful rumors against a company in the 80's.

A gum maker was accused of using spider eggs or spider webs in its gum, and sales declined. They had to launch an educational campaign about how their gum worked. It probably started as innocent speculation amongst 4th and 5th graders and spread to older users. It was a new type of product of its class and youngsters did not know how a bubble gum product could be made with that texture.

And there were other urban legends, like the Halloween scare. That ended up being the work of one or two fathers who wanted to kill their kids. So they tampered with their own kids' candy and passed it off as being something the "neighbors" did. Also about that time were the Tylenol scares, and that ended up being the work of a customer who wanted to kill his wife, so he put what he thought was enough to kill in one and enough to sicken in others to take the suspicion off of him. Then there were the copycat cases of both the candy tampering and the medicine tampering. And to bring it back on topic, we can say that what people like these do really stinks.

Plum, Purplonia

#20 Mar 18, 2011
tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
tsk tsk no like P/G see [&] is a fake identity , that is how they always get tripped up there is only one " / "
Hey, we once had a West Coast PG as well. But they were just messing around and copying identities of various posters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nevada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Harry Reid's endorsement of Steve Sisolak 18 hr The team of Donal... 1
Dina Titus: Another Corporate Democrat May 24 Local 1
calling all sinners repent repent May 24 REPENT 1
CAITLYNN JENNER ( REPENT REPENT ) repent May 24 REPENT CAITLYNN 1
News Nevada sending 200 violent inmates to Arizona p... (Nov '17) May 17 Sandra 5
Lake Of Fire Forever May 9 rapture ready 2
prostitution is sin ( repent sinners) May 9 rapture ready 2