Why does Larry Holt make the rules? - Ruidoso News

Full story: Ruidoso News

I would like to respond to Larry Holt's references in the article about closing the Fort Stanton Cemetery.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Vic Currier

Capitan, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Nov 21, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

To the Editor:
About Mary Ann O’Dell’s November 19th letter headlined “Why Does Larry Holt Make The Rules?”: First, Larry Holt does not make the rules. O’Dell’s attack makes it appear that Larry Holt is somehow self-serving, which he is not. O’Dell fails to understand and explain that there are rules of eligibility in such matters.
The rules for eligibility [ See http://www.cem.va.gov/bbene/eligible.asp ] are found on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website and other places. O’Dell’s relative does not qualify.
Secondly, as I understand it, O’Dell was told by the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs that her relative does not qualify. That ruling should have ended the matter.
Thirdly, as for the allegation that O’Dell has been “…accused of being against veterans…”, here’s my personal take on the subject. My uncle Arthur Sawyer was from Florida and coincidentally born on the 4th of July. He enlisted voluntarily during World War I in the U.S. Marine Corps and was the first war hero from that State to die in France in 1917, where he was interred for years, before being brought back and buried with honors in a veteran’s cemetery. The American Legion Post in Key West was named in his honor. Throughout my family history numerous men and women are Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, and, yes, Merchant Marine veterans, including those currently serving in the military. Does that make me or my wife eligible for burial in Ft. Stanton or any other military cemetery? No.
If I asked my honorable family veterans whether or not I could be buried with them in a military cemetery for the purpose of “keeping the family members together”– they would all say “no”, I’m not eligible based upon their service alone.
If O’Dell were to ask all those veterans in her long line of family service what they think of the issue, my bet is they would all say “no” to her, as well.
The fact that I am (A) a veteran and (B) I received an “honorable discharge” from the military, makes me eligible. It also makes my current wife of 27-years eligible for burial in a military cemetery. It does not, however, make my ex-wives eligible. In fact, there is rule that O’Dell conveniently overlooks, which says “…a former spouse of an eligible individual whose marriage to that individual has been terminated by annulment or divorce, is not eligible”. Bingo, Mary Ann! It should have ended right there. Instead, Larry Holt and the NM Department of Cultural Affairs have been targeted for simply administering a long standing, well documented American tradition. Perhaps, O’Dell should get her facts straight before throwing a public hissy fit.
Vic Currier
Alto, New Mexico
One who is educated

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Nov 23, 2010
 

Judged:

3

1

1

The cemetery at Fort Stanton is not nor ever has been a veteran cemetery. It is an historic civilian merchant marine cemetery and should be protected to retain its historic value. Just because protocol was set aside allowing several people to be buried there who should not have been to begin with does not mean that is it now automatically opened up to anyone. The fact is, when the site was turned over to the state it was proposed that the cemetery be given to the Department of Veteran Services. They refused to take over the site because it is not a veteran cemetery. So if any vets are upset that they aren't being allowed to be buried there they should be contacting Veteran Services and asking why they refused to designate it as a veteran cemetery.
Kooch

Ruidoso, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Nov 24, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

1

One who is educated wrote:
The cemetery at Fort Stanton is not nor ever has been a veteran cemetery. It is an historic civilian merchant marine cemetery and should be protected to retain its historic value. Just because protocol was set aside allowing several people to be buried there who should not have been to begin with does not mean that is it now automatically opened up to anyone. The fact is, when the site was turned over to the state it was proposed that the cemetery be given to the Department of Veteran Services. They refused to take over the site because it is not a veteran cemetery. So if any vets are upset that they aren't being allowed to be buried there they should be contacting Veteran Services and asking why they refused to designate it as a veteran cemetery.
It is apparent to me, "OWIE," that you are not a Veteran. There is a new Governor in town. One who is going to appoint some responsible, non-power hungry, non-self-serving cabinet members to these areas. many of my Veteran friends are buried at Fort Stanton. Natives and Veterans were here before the hospital. Put that note down in whatever history class you were educated in.

"God Bless Our Veterans. Long may they live, and then may they be buried at Fort Stanton."
Kooch

Ruidoso, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Nov 24, 2010
 
Vic,
Thanks you for your service at Fort Stanton for all these years! WE owe you a huge debt of gratitude.
Read your history

Lubbock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Nov 24, 2010
 
Ft Stanton is not a Veterans Cemetery. There are Veterans(and their family members) buried there, but that does not make it a Veterans ONLY Cemetery. The VA is not aware of it ever being a Veterans Cemetery in any way.

Captain Victor Shearer, of the Merchant Marines by the way, is the person who needs to be remembered in this "'debate". IF not for Captain Vic it would be still nothing but a weed lot.

He & his wife worked passionately on the Cemetery and even with their passing both should be remembered for their years of hard work.

He would be ashamed of all this bickering about his cemetery.
So what

Spicewood, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Nov 24, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Read your history wrote:
Ft Stanton is not a Veterans Cemetery. There are Veterans(and their family members) buried there, but that does not make it a Veterans ONLY Cemetery. The VA is not aware of it ever being a Veterans Cemetery in any way.
Captain Victor Shearer, of the Merchant Marines by the way, is the person who needs to be remembered in this "'debate". IF not for Captain Vic it would be still nothing but a weed lot.
He & his wife worked passionately on the Cemetery and even with their passing both should be remembered for their years of hard work.
He would be ashamed of all this bickering about his cemetery.
If there is a veteran buried there, it is indeed a veterans cemetary by my standards.
At Large

Sturgis, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Nov 27, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

That is all fine and dandy...but the VA does not call on you to ask for your opinion. There are two VA National Cemeteries in New Mexico, Santa Fe and Ft. Bayard. The VA's criteria for burial does not apply to Ft. Stanton. Perhaps there is another reason that Ms. O'Dell's Mother-in-Law is being denied interment there. If so, whoever is making that determination should make the reason more clear. That individual might be misinformed him/herself as to the actual criteria; where it originated and who is the controlling authority (I'm willing to bet it is the State of New Mexico).
So what wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is a veteran buried there, it is indeed a veterans cemetary by my standards.
local update needed

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 27, 2010
 
How the the City of Ruidoso's search for a cemetery site going? Haven't heard about it in a long time.
Johnell Barkley

Show Low, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 13, 2012
 
I am Vic's first ex-wife. A friend of mine emailed me his inflated resume. Rest in peace Ruidoso. I have NOTHING good to say about this man.
Hummingbird

Alto, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Johnell Barkley wrote:
I am Vic's first ex-wife. A friend of mine emailed me his inflated resume. Rest in peace Ruidoso. I have NOTHING good to say about this man.
Thanks, Johnell, for confirming what we are already figuring out. At the Tea Party and Republican forums he came across as an arrogant blowhard who is carrying the water of the Hubbard crowd. He wasn't up on any of the issues and was loaded with misinformation! Not a true constitutionalist at all. Hope the veterans are not fooled.
Little Bird

Alto, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Sorry, Hummingbird, you have it wrong. Check out the contributions on the SoS webpage. Mr. Draper is the one being bought with Hubbard money. $1,900 from James Cook (partner in Copper Canyon), $200 from Jean Stoddard, $100 from Robert Swearingen and $100 from Robert Donaldson. I hope Ruidoso wakes up and does not support another Hubbard boy....ala Jim Stoddard and Tom Battin.
Johnell Barkley

Show Low, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 16, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Hummingbird wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Johnell, for confirming what we are already figuring out. At the Tea Party and Republican forums he came across as an arrogant blowhard who is carrying the water of the Hubbard crowd. He wasn't up on any of the issues and was loaded with misinformation! Not a true constitutionalist at all. Hope the veterans are not fooled.
Hummingbird you GOT it! At last, SOMEONE gets it. I just hope the Village of Ruidoso figures it out. I was born, raised and grew up in Lordsburg and spent summers in High Rolls with my cosins but I've gotta say Ruidoso politics are dirty - Vic migth fit right in!
Concerned

Alto, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 17, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Johnell Barkley wrote:
I am Vic's first ex-wife. A friend of mine emailed me his inflated resume. Rest in peace Ruidoso. I have NOTHING good to say about this man.
Hi Johnell,

Could you give us more info on his resume. Can't seem to confirm much of what he says. Help would be appreciated.
Long Time Resident

Ruidoso, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 17, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Johnell Barkley wrote:
<quoted text>
Hummingbird you GOT it! At last, SOMEONE gets it. I just hope the Village of Ruidoso figures it out. I was born, raised and grew up in Lordsburg and spent summers in High Rolls with my cosins but I've gotta say Ruidoso politics are dirty - Vic migth fit right in!
Ruidoso politics are dirty? Really? Try corrupt. What an under-statement.
Johnell Barkley

Show Low, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 17, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

More on Vic's Resume. I can give you a little. What he calls "upper management" at the railroad is more than likely "middle" management. He forgot to mention he was a brakeman, then a conductor, then went into management for a year before quitting the RR and off we moved to Austin. His FATHER was upper management, being officed at No.One Market St. in San Francisco. Let me read the rest of the comics and I will provide more. He's had 2 ex-wifes, being being the first abused one, and one he married a month and a week after he divorced me. That one lasted 3 years, I think. She allegedly embezzled $10,000 from the bank he worked at and he had to sign a note to repay it. She turned out to not be a recovering herion addict but an ADDICT. When I met him he did not know diddly shit about horses - I grew up with them, riding them, falling off of them, etc. My guess is his first pony ride was on a carasoul or petting farm. Let me re-read and I'll get my input to you. I can also provide other peoples' input that knew him. I'm not being vindictive - it's just time Karma caught up with him for besing so abusive to me.
Johnell Barkley

Show Low, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 17, 2012
 
If you can get Judi Richards to run - that is one brilliant woman and I would vote for her for anything she ran for.
Johnell Barkley

Show Low, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 17, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Johnell,
Could you give us more info on his resume. Can't seem to confirm (say it isn't so LOL) much of what he says. Help would be appreciated.
He would have to be 91 years old or so to have accomplished all he claims. Unfortunately, his info would not pull up for me anymore. From memory I can tell you he "may" have been born in NM, but did not grow up there. When I met him he didn't know diddly squat about horses, he's got a cowboy, doesn't walk the walk or talk the talk and I'd be surprised if he could rope - shocked in fact. His "classes" at ASU - he took some when we first married because he wanted to be an "expert" at something - anything - didn't matter - just HAD to be an expert. You could confirm his RR history but I know when we were married he was a brakeman, then a Conductor, never made engineer, then went into management. UPPER management is housed in San Francisco. Now, a week and a half after our divorce he remarried. They were married for 3 yrs and he adopted her child. She did, according to him, embezzle $10K from the bank he worked at and he had to sign a note to pay it back. He wanted me back 5 yrs after our divoce but I like my toilet seat down. He was abusive, both physically and psychologically. If you can get me a copy of his outstading accomplishments I can provide you with more information. So can several of my friends. You can email it to me at barkleyjohnell@yahoo.com.
Hummingbird

Alto, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 19, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Johnell: Here is the latest info on Vic and current wife. Some free campaign advertising from the Ruidoso Free Press.

http://www.ruidosofreepress.com/view/full_sto... ?
Cool Hand Luke

Ruidoso, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 23, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Little Bird wrote:
Sorry, Hummingbird, you have it wrong. Check out the contributions on the SoS webpage. Mr. Draper is the one being bought with Hubbard money.$1,900 from James Cook (partner in Copper Canyon),$200 from Jean Stoddard,$100 from Robert Swearingen and $100 from Robert Donaldson. I hope Ruidoso wakes up and does not support another Hubbard boy....ala Jim Stoddard and Tom Battin.
You think that because a person gives money to a candidate, the candidate has been bought by them? That's not always true, slanderer.

“Ruidoso”

Since: Apr 12

same

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Johnell Barkley wrote:
I am Vic's first ex-wife. A friend of mine emailed me his inflated resume. Rest in peace Ruidoso. I have NOTHING good to say about this man.
Gheese how man times has this honorable man been married? and yes I am being a smart ass.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••