General obligation bond will affect all NMSU campuses

Oct 9, 2012 Full story: KVIA-TV El Paso 62

The New Mexico General Obligation Bond C election contains proposed funding for improvements to all New Mexico State University campuses, along with several other schools throughout the state.

Full Story
AGGIES08

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Oct 14, 2012
Why do we insist on the latest and greatest
in technology - cellphones, computers,
technology.

Yet when it comes to education were still locked
in on the failed policies of the last 40 years
with no need to see change.

Generally it is shared failure but the Teachers
and their unions have significantly played into
the total picture. I am sure that all the deniers
generally Teachers will be upset but in the end
they have no accountability for anything and
you can't get one of them to take responsibility
for the failures in education - just a bunch of
fingerpointing - none of them at themselves of
course.
minimitt

Tewksbury, MA

#22 Oct 14, 2012
I'm tired of hearing that it's the fault of the parents, the fault of the administration and the fault of the kids. Teachers at all levels must take personal responsibility for making kids successful. It's not easy and it's not simple. Teachers and schools are not held accountable for getting kids learning. We need to start grading these people and if kids are doing good, we pay them good, if kids are doing crappy, we fire 'em.

Today, once you get into a school, whether it is grade school or college, you are guaranteed a paycheck regardless of how useless you are. We pay to educate kids. These people must perform. The rest of us work in places where if we are not putting out results, we get canned. The same should apply.

No more money to the public schools. Money is not the issue. I Give A F+++ is the issue. Too many people don't GAF. You can shower these places with money, all they do is misuse it.

Hold them accountable and make them report what the money is being used for and the detailed return on the money. Bridges to nowhere get you nothing.

Pretty buildings don't teach. The latest and greatest computers don't do much for a business major, but may be valuable for a computer science student. We need to revisit what's being taught in colleges, cause we are putting kids out that don't know poop. They come to the real world and have to be taught 99 percent of what they need. Colleges need to get with the job producers to see what is needed.
Ryannochio

Alamogordo, NM

#23 Oct 14, 2012
It's the fault of ALL republiCONS. Obama 2012.
minimitt

Tewksbury, MA

#24 Oct 14, 2012
That damned Obama. It's obama's fault!

Since: Sep 08

Alamogordo, NM

#25 Oct 14, 2012
AGGIES08 wrote:
Why do we insist on the latest and greatest
in technology - cellphones, computers,
technology.
Yet when it comes to education were still locked
in on the failed policies of the last 40 years
with no need to see change.
Generally it is shared failure but the Teachers
and their unions have significantly played into
the total picture. I am sure that all the deniers
generally Teachers will be upset but in the end
they have no accountability for anything and
you can't get one of them to take responsibility
for the failures in education - just a bunch of
fingerpointing - none of them at themselves of
course.
True 100%.....

Since: Sep 08

Alamogordo, NM

#26 Oct 14, 2012
minimitt wrote:
I'm tired of hearing that it's the fault of the parents, the fault of the administration and the fault of the kids. Teachers at all levels must take personal responsibility for making kids successful. It's not easy and it's not simple. Teachers and schools are not held accountable for getting kids learning. We need to start grading these people and if kids are doing good, we pay them good, if kids are doing crappy, we fire 'em.
Today, once you get into a school, whether it is grade school or college, you are guaranteed a paycheck regardless of how useless you are. We pay to educate kids. These people must perform. The rest of us work in places where if we are not putting out results, we get canned. The same should apply.
No more money to the public schools. Money is not the issue. I Give A F+++ is the issue. Too many people don't GAF. You can shower these places with money, all they do is misuse it.
Hold them accountable and make them report what the money is being used for and the detailed return on the money. Bridges to nowhere get you nothing.
Pretty buildings don't teach. The latest and greatest computers don't do much for a business major, but may be valuable for a computer science student. We need to revisit what's being taught in colleges, cause we are putting kids out that don't know poop. They come to the real world and have to be taught 99 percent of what they need. Colleges need to get with the job producers to see what is needed.
100% agree...
Mr Whipple

Artesia, NM

#27 Oct 14, 2012
Loyal Dem wrote:
Passing the GO bond will NOT increase your existing taxes, grocery bills, rent, insurance,etc. Where on earth are you getting your information? This is an extension of an existing bond. You won't even feel it.
The GRT, on the other hand, will be felt if you shop outside the boundaries of the municipality - anywhere in the county. The tax will NOT, however, even with the increase, be as high as the current tax within the Alamogordo city limits.
The GO Bond is to repair infrastructure and help the libraries. Period. That means it is used to fix buildings and roofs and buy books. It will not be used for anything to do with 'golden parachutes', lining people's pockets.... Where do you folks get your information??? NMSU-A has beautiful buildings that have to be maintained. It is less expensive to maintain a building than to build a new one.
Folks, please do your homework. NMSU-A has lower enrollment because the graduating classes of the high school is going down. Fewer and fewer students can afford college/afford to pay their school loans. And if Romney gets elected, unless your daddy has money for you to borrow, which is Romney's solution to funding your college tuition - then things will only get more critical. Vote YES for the GO Bonds and the GRT. Do the smart and right thing.


We were told that Medicare was only designed to be a safety net; that a Social Security number was NEVER TO BE USED AS AN ID NUMBER........ Some of us still have a memory and a scorched attitude.
minimitt

Tewksbury, MA

#28 Oct 14, 2012
Vote NO, don't see that Return on Investment study. Where do we get our info from?
minimitt

Tewksbury, MA

#29 Oct 14, 2012
Just to be clear. An ROI study shows the following:

- what are you looking to do
- what will it cost
- how will we benefit (jobs, money, product)

So, if you ask me for 1000 dollars to start a business of selling oranges, I will ask how long it will take to recover the initial investment of 1000 plus a percentage of profit. If you simply ask for a handout of 1000, then sell your oranges to other states, there is no net benefit and investing in your idea makes no sense.

You should expect to fully recover your initial investment within the first 3 yrs.

Just saying
Ryannochio

Alamogordo, NM

#30 Oct 14, 2012
Vote YES on all bonds. The quality of life will improve for the poor people. Only a lying ignorant republiCON would vote no.
Idgaf

Tewksbury, MA

#31 Oct 14, 2012
Ryanochio, go play with romneyochio. Vote NO. People don't need stuff for free and we don't need more stuff at colleges. Cut, cut and cut some more. We need to go on a diet!
Ex E Paso resident

Goodyear, AZ

#32 Oct 15, 2012
an Aggie wrote:
<quoted text>
Good points, well stated.
I am also a 1980s graduate of NMSU. As such, and having worked for New Mexico Tech in the 1990s and first half of the 2000s, I would suggest you do some more home work before sending your kids to NM Tech. While I worked at Tech, the admistration there from the top down had a very "we're a big fish in a small pond" attitude. The regents would routinely do meeting by conference call and closed session against the open meetings act, kept poor agenda records, etc., to the point where the NM Attorney General forced them to change on the threat of legal action. Hirings, firings, promotions, etc., were basically politically motivated. NM TEch Pres. DR. Dan Lopez basically got his job through political connections in Santa Fe and eslsewhere, rather than any real merit in admistration.(You'd hope the president of a Tech University might have a science/tech background- Pres. Lopez's nearest connection to that is a degree in POLITICAL science.) And when Gov. Richrdson was tapped for Commnerce Sectrary in the Obama White House, NM Tech President got the job of heading the search committee to find a replacment for then NM Lt. Governor Diane Denish - which show the connections Lopez had with the highest levels of state government.
Maybe things have changed at Tech in the past 5+ years, but the situation while I worked there put NMSU's current climate to shame.
I have time on this issue (one kid 9 and one 6) but the bottom line is I WILL NOT support my former school until they prove to me they have earned it.

Rest assured there will be some research on any school considered. There is no prefect school but NMSU is being run just like EPISD is being run and that needs to change.

Based on the last four years they get a F for failing.
Ryannochio

Alamogordo, NM

#33 Oct 15, 2012
Idgaf wrote:
Ryanochio, go play with romneyochio. Vote NO. People don't need stuff for free and we don't need more stuff at colleges. Cut, cut and cut some more. We need to go on a diet!
I will take all of my family down to the voting booths and vote YES. I will have them vote YES many times. This is way too important to let you rich greedy republiCONS defeat.
paul

Las Cruces, NM

#34 Oct 16, 2012
Lets not forget the art building (no money for phase 2 and 3 by the way)

And even worse the stupid book store fiasco.
Ex- El Paso Resident

Las Cruces, NM

#35 Oct 16, 2012
Ryannochio wrote:
<quoted text>I will take all of my family down to the voting booths and vote YES. I will have them vote YES many times. This is way too important to let you rich greedy republiCONS defeat.
You must be a good Democrate.

Vote early and often (Daily-Chicago).

Skuttlebutt

Alamogordo, NM

#36 Oct 17, 2012
Ex- El Paso Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be a good Democrate.
Vote early and often (Daily-Chicago).
Obama doesn't support the 23 million unemployed or the 47 million on welfare!

Obama: I have a job, get your own!
Ex- El Paso Resident

Las Cruces, NM

#37 Oct 17, 2012
Skuttlebutt wrote:
<quoted text>Obama doesn't support the 23 million unemployed or the 47 million on welfare!
Obama: I have a job, get your own!
You are right.

The taxpers of the US and many many many future generations paying back the trillions borrowed by both parties (repubs to fund wars and Dems to pay welfare and for failed green companies) are the ones supporting the umemployed,those on welfare as well as the war industry.

The problem with socialism and cronies is you run out of other people's money to spend at some point.
Skuttlebutt

Alamogordo, NM

#38 Oct 17, 2012
Ex- El Paso Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right.
The taxpers of the US and many many many future generations paying back the trillions borrowed by both parties (repubs to fund wars and Dems to pay welfare and for failed green companies) are the ones supporting the umemployed,those on welfare as well as the war industry.
The problem with socialism and cronies is you run out of other people's money to spend at some point.
We can just print more money, it's the liberal way......
taxpayer

Santa Fe, NM

#39 Oct 24, 2012
NMSU and NMSU-A, not what they used to be. What a shame. They don't need more of our money, they need to get their act together.
Skuttlebutt

Alamogordo, NM

#40 Oct 24, 2012
YES, YES. YES..... I voted six times YES today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Say it in six words (Jul '08) 12 hr blackbookbond 8,642
Governor touts cooperation with tribes, but Nat... 16 hr JimmyCrackCorn 1
What comes next for New Mexicans caught up in i... Feb 22 wild child 2
New Mexico House committee advances bill giving... Feb 20 your 2
New Mexico Senate panel passes on spaceport sal... Feb 20 fmer505-1951 2
Driver's Licenses for Immigrants Spur Debate in... Feb 17 Who guessed it 64
Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) Feb 10 Ali 6,206
More from around the web