New Mexico legalizes same-sex marriage

Dec 19, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WHDH

New Mexico became the latest state to legalize gay marriage Thursday as its highest court declared it is unconstitutional to deny a marriage license to gay and lesbian couples.

Comments
1 - 20 of 91 Comments Last updated Jan 1, 2014
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
ThespusIL

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

Woohoo!!! 17 down, 33 to go!
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

Tick tock
Ivan

Iceland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

ThespusIL wrote:
Yeah down the toilet.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

WOW, that was fast!

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

It's SO much watching as the trolls all go down kicking and screaming and throwing their tantrums! What fun!!

We told you fools all along, this is the United States. You know?? "Land of the Free"??? That means you can NOT vote away the civil rights of your fellow citizens. Even if you just can *not* seem to get those images of gay people having sex out of your mind, even if you can't make it through two minutes without a gay sex fantasy going through your head, EVEN THEN, you cannot vote away someone else's civil rights.

Sucks to be stupid, doesn't it?? LOL!!!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

This comment shows just how out of touch this Senator is:
Sen. William Sharer, a Farmington Republican who opposes gay marriage, has said a constitutional amendment will be needed to resolve the issue regardless of the outcome of the court case.
http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/national/w...

If the State Legislators EVEN try to get a Constitutional Amendment passed......it will be challenged BEFORE the ink can even dry.......idiots!!!

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

What is "IVAN" doing in Iceland....I believe they have a lesbian for Premier. LOL. Too funny.

“Some people are gay - get over”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

Over 1/3 now.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

ThespusIL wrote:
I think SCOTUS will rule on this long before it gets anywhere near 50. Probably even before it gets near 40.

“Some people are gay - get over”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

Ivan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah down the toilet.
Hey Ivan - You are aware that Iceland is VERY progressive on the whole gay rights issue right?

How can you stand to live there? You should move somewhere more in line with your thinking....like Russia.

Better yet - here's a list:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/saeedjones/76-countri...
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

This is far , far , more important to us down here than anything corrupt Russia or India does or may do . Congratulations to all responsible for this historic decision .

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

I can almost hear the wedding bells from my front yard. I can see three states and two countries right outside my mountainside home.

Great news!
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

KirkW wrote:
Over 1/3 now.
!!!!

Mathematically, over 1/3 of the U.S. states now recognize it. That threshold has been crossed, and to me, that is a very big deal.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

KirkW wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Ivan - You are aware that Iceland is VERY progressive on the whole gay rights issue right?
How can you stand to live there? You should move somewhere more in line with your thinking....like Russia.
Better yet - here's a list:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/saeedjones/76-countri...
Didn't Iceland vote for recognition of gay marriages with ZERO nays? Wasn't the vote like, 175-0? It was amazing. They're so much "socially smarter" than the U.S., period.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
This comment shows just how out of touch this Senator is:
Sen. William Sharer, a Farmington Republican who opposes gay marriage, has said a constitutional amendment will be needed to resolve the issue regardless of the outcome of the court case.
http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/national/w...
If the State Legislators EVEN try to get a Constitutional Amendment passed......it will be challenged BEFORE the ink can even dry.......idiots!!!
New Mexico has a Dem controlled legislature, so any such attempt at an amendment is a non-starter. The only reason they didn't have marriage equality already was because their GOP Governor vowed to veto any bill and they didn't have the 2/3rd vote to override her.

It would be interesting to see how far a Prop 8 type amendment would get considering it was overturned on standing but in this case the Gov would certainly have standing to appeal any federal court decision.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

hi hi wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't Iceland vote for recognition of gay marriages with ZERO nays? Wasn't the vote like, 175-0? It was amazing. They're so much "socially smarter" than the U.S., period.
Not certain about the actual vote tally, but I know they had the first openly gay President, who promptly married her girlfriend.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
New Mexico has a Dem controlled legislature, so any such attempt at an amendment is a non-starter. The only reason they didn't have marriage equality already was because their GOP Governor vowed to veto any bill and they didn't have the 2/3rd vote to override her.
It would be interesting to see how far a Prop 8 type amendment would get considering it was overturned on standing but in this case the Gov would certainly have standing to appeal any federal court decision.
I still DON'T see it happening!!!

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think SCOTUS will rule on this long before it gets anywhere near 50. Probably even before it gets near 40.
That's good, because in all likelihood we max out at about 25 states without the SCOTUS acting; at least for about the next 10-20 years.

Absolutely no southern state is going to pass marriage legislation, much less overturn their constitutional bans in the next 20 years; ditto for the plains states and a couple of the mountain states like Utah & Idaho.

So that leave us with (in order of likelihood) OR, CO, NV, OH, MI, AZ, PA, WI.

That's it.

25 states max.

Anything else without federal court action is just wishful thinking.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I still DON'T see it happening!!!
Oh I agree.

What I'm really wondering is what the 9th circuit is going to do with their NV case and when. That could get us another state, or even the rest of the 9th circuit (6 states) as soon as spring 2014.

WAY too many variables with that one.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That's good, because in all likelihood we max out at about 25 states without the SCOTUS acting; at least for about the next 10-20 years.
Absolutely no southern state is going to pass marriage legislation, much less overturn their constitutional bans in the next 20 years; ditto for the plains states and a couple of the mountain states like Utah & Idaho.
So that leave us with (in order of likelihood) OR, CO, NV, OH, MI, AZ, PA, WI.
That's it.
25 states max.
Anything else without federal court action is just wishful thinking.
I wouldn't even include AZ or PA in that list. It doesn't matter anyways. As long as SCOTUS rules that FFC applies (a federal judge already has ruled that it does), that's fine with me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••