Should In God We Trust be removed fro...
patio

Levelland, TX

#21 Sep 3, 2008
NO!!!!! Because it was Having faith in God that the early settlers came to the new world, settling in West Virginia.
Jeremy_Horne_PhD

Rio Rancho, NM

#22 Sep 3, 2008
Leprachan wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't know if you have seen these or not but, the phrase "In GOD we trust" has been taken off currency. Check your paper and coin money. There is a coin out there now that has the phrase taken off of it.
If this is true, FANTASTIC! Make sure it is reproduced and circulated widely. Civilized persons are sick and tired of Bible thumpers jamming their stinking religion down non-believer's throats!
Sadyoudontknowth etruth

Tularosa, NM

#23 Sep 3, 2008
Jeremy_Horne_PhD wrote:
<quoted text>
I love the assumptions that persons like you make: "So is your doctorate in medicine". You have nary a clue about what my Ph.D. is in. Besides, a Ph.D. is not an M.D. Remember the first three letters of the word "assumption", yell that into a mirror, and now we have an accurate description of the person making the post to which I am now responding.
No, I recognized that. On other posts you are always talking abour responding n a calm, reasonable manner. I just wanted to see how calmly and reasonably you would respond here. You took the bait ......... and failed.
Sadyoudontknowth etruth

Tularosa, NM

#24 Sep 3, 2008
Jeremy_Horne_PhD wrote:
<quoted text>
I love the assumptions that persons like you make: "So is your doctorate in medicine". You have nary a clue about what my Ph.D. is in. Besides, a Ph.D. is not an M.D. Remember the first three letters of the word "assumption", yell that into a mirror, and now we have an accurate description of the person making the post to which I am now responding.
Oh, with a bit of sarcasm thrown in. Welcome to NM from Arizona.
Jeremy_Horne_PhD

Rio Rancho, NM

#25 Sep 3, 2008
Sadyoudontknowthetruth wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I recognized that. On other posts you are always talking abour responding n a calm, reasonable manner. I just wanted to see how calmly and reasonably you would respond here. You took the bait ......... and failed.
Perhaps you haven't been a classroom, where, when someone makes such an egregious error, the professor responds in this way. It is reasonable to say to someone who goes ahead and makes assumptions without checking out facts does fir the appellation spelled out by the first three letters of the word "assumption", i.e., "ass".(Let us see if the censor has so much immaturity built into it to reflect the same in this country that I cannot refer to "ass". If you see the stars, bad luck for the beast of burden.) No, it was this time, you stuck your beak out on this one.
MajorPain

Tucson, AZ

#26 Sep 3, 2008
It may be correct to remove the words "In God We Trust", after all this country was founded by different religious groups whom all believed in God at the time. Just in different ways. Now, we just hear/believe his name right before we pass on..........But sure we can remove it for our politically correct Americans. Maybe it should read, "In political correctness we trust" or "In Fairy Tales We Don't Because I feel Smart Today" or how about "Don't Call Me, I'll Call You", or my new favorite, "Dammit Jim, I Have a PhD, Not an MD". Nice TRY "Americans" or whatever you claim, "In God We Trust Was Here Before YOU, And Will Be Here After!
Jeremy_Horne_PhD

Rio Rancho, NM

#27 Sep 3, 2008
Well, "ass" worked, meaning the beast of burden can be named by referring to a word describing it (meta-language). Let's see what happens with the object language, using the name to designate that beast, ass.

Maybe, maybe, maybe ... here goes.
sadyoudontknowth etruth

Tularosa, NM

#28 Sep 3, 2008
Jeremy_Horne_PhD wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you haven't been a classroom, where, when someone makes such an egregious error, the professor responds in this way. It is reasonable to say to someone who goes ahead and makes assumptions without checking out facts does fir the appellation spelled out by the first three letters of the word "assumption", i.e., "ass".(Let us see if the censor has so much immaturity built into it to reflect the same in this country that I cannot refer to "ass". If you see the stars, bad luck for the beast of burden.) No, it was this time, you stuck your beak out on this one.
So are you ever going to answer the original question? If I were in your classroom. I'd feel I was cheated out of my money.
Jeremy_Horne_PhD

Rio Rancho, NM

#29 Sep 3, 2008
sadyoudontknowthetruth wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you ever going to answer the original question? If I were in your classroom. I'd feel I was cheated out of my money.
Here it is:

home.earthlink.net/~jhorne18 . vitae and the whole schmear. The first exercise I would have students to is Google me out: Do it under "Jeremy Horne, Ph.D." Just doing it under "Jeremy Horne" brings up a lot of irrelevant sites about sports figures. I couldn't run downhill if someone pushed me from behind and the winner would be the one in last place!
fading flower

Corbin, KY

#30 Sep 3, 2008
true
Bob wrote:
Take it off. This is not a homogenous society, and includes millions of non-religious people.
Miken96

Alamogordo, NM

#31 Sep 4, 2008
I challenge ANYONE to find where it says in our founding documents the there is a "Spereation of Church and State". I have read the Decleration of Independence, Constitution, and just about anything else dealing with the founding of this great nation. No-Where does it say there is a SEPERATION of Church and State.
The 1st Amendment:
Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Where does it say there is a SEPERATION?
It says there shall be no laws respection an establishment or prohibition of...

SOmeone prove me wrong please....
just a thought

Albuquerque, NM

#32 Sep 4, 2008
Seperation of church and state is a phrase used to show no undue influence from either Church or State should be excercised on the other party. The exact phrase need not be found in the Constitution to make it so.
Miken96

Alamogordo, NM

#33 Sep 4, 2008
I hear it used as FACT and quoted as the CONSTITUTIONAL right of the seperation of church and state. It is almost always quoted as a constitutional RIGHT!
Sorry, it's not in ANY document that is used from the founding of our country!
Jeremy_Horne_PhD

Rio Rancho, NM

#34 Sep 4, 2008
Miken96 wrote:
I challenge ANYONE to find where it says in our founding documents the there is a "Spereation of Church and State". I have read the Decleration of Independence, Constitution, and just about anything else dealing with the founding of this great nation. No-Where does it say there is a SEPERATION of Church and State.
The 1st Amendment:
Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Where does it say there is a SEPERATION?
It says there shall be no laws respection an establishment or prohibition of...
SOmeone prove me wrong please....
A government official or organization promoting a religious idea implies establishment. That is, using set theory as an analogy, establishment of a set (religion, even generically, as opposed to neutrality) must be be there for an element to exist within it. Further, the official is a servant of all the people and must not show bias by mixing governmental affair with religious one. For a political analogue that has been well established, research the Hatch Act. Non-believers (agnostics and atheists) take offense and are alienated from a government that favors religion (or its opposite). The watch word is "neutrality", and ideologues don't seem to get it.
Jeremy_Horne_PhD

Rio Rancho, NM

#35 Sep 4, 2008
Miken96 wrote:
I hear it used as FACT and quoted as the CONSTITUTIONAL right of the seperation of church and state. It is almost always quoted as a constitutional RIGHT!
Sorry, it's not in ANY document that is used from the founding of our country!
I suggest you enlighten your ignorance and see how many times "right" is used in the US Constitution ( http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/const... ), particulalrly, the "Bill of Rights". I mean, why do they call the amendments a bill of rights? Duh? The establishment clause is a pre-pend to the word "right" in "right of the people". The "Bill of Rights" in the Constitution is written in terms of rights given to the people. Let me spell the word: "r-i-g-h-t-s".

I did my research; now do yours to back up your assertions!

As a general principle, people should quit trying to jam religion down other peoples' throat. Whatever they want to believe is fine; just quit the damned proselytizing and forcing belief systems on others.
just a thought

Albuquerque, NM

#36 Sep 4, 2008
I hear all the time that Americans have the Constitutional right to happiness. Nope. The Declaration of Indepenence says we are endowed by our Creator the pursuit of happiness.

Constitutionally, the government can not enforce or endorse or limit an individuals choice and practice of religion.

Rational thought dictates that religion, therefore cannot run the government, because there would then be explicit or implicit government control over religion.
Miken96

Alamogordo, NM

#37 Sep 5, 2008
PHD,
I have read the Bill of RIGHTS and it says that I have a RIGHT to freedom OF religon, not freedom FROM religon. This country was founded by religous persons seeking the freedom to NOT be forced to abide by the religon forced upon them from thier european governments (England, and such...). Having the word "GOD" on our money does not say we are supporting Christianity, Mudisim, Muslim, or any other religon. Budda is considered a GOD, as is Allah, and Jesus. Our government is based on the people choosing what they want by a majority vote or some other mechanisim. You cannot please 100% of the population, and the few who do not believe in ANY god are NOT the majority of the population. If YOU are so concerned about the word GOD on the $$$ you spend, then I suggest you get a proposal put on the ballot, and have it removed. Again, that MIGHT offend just as many people to have it removed and want it removed right now? A catch 22?
All I am saying is that are NO words in the Constitution or Decleration of Independance or any other document that say "Seperation of Church and State" as is frequently qouted and refrenced. The use of the word GOD also does not necessiarly imply the establishment of a specific religion as there are MANY things that peoples consider a GOD without relating it to a specific religion.
Again, as I am IGNORANT, I asked to be shown where the phrase was used, not interpertered!??
Jeremy_Horne_PhD

Rio Rancho, NM

#38 Sep 5, 2008
Miken96 wrote:
...
"Having the word "GOD" on our money does not say we are supporting Christianity, Mudisim, Muslim, or any other religon. Budda is considered a GOD, as is Allah, and Jesus."
True, but the fact that there is "God" on the currency means that the one holding the currency tacitly accepts that there is a god and that trust should be placed in that god, whatever form that god takes.

"Our government is based on the people choosing what they want by a majority vote or some other mechanisim. You cannot please 100% of the population, and the few who do not believe in ANY god are NOT the majority of the population."

So, are you advocating majority tyranny?
joe who knows

Albuquerque, NM

#39 Sep 5, 2008
Leprachan wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't know if you have seen these or not but, the phrase "In GOD we trust" has been taken off currency. Check your paper and coin money. There is a coin out there now that has the phrase taken off of it. Return it to the person that hands it to you and ask for "real" money instead.
You need to look at the rim of the new coins, they state clearly on it "in GOD we trust"!!!!!
joe who knows

Albuquerque, NM

#40 Sep 5, 2008
Jeremy_Horne_PhD wrote:
<quoted text>
If this is true, FANTASTIC! Make sure it is reproduced and circulated widely. Civilized persons are sick and tired of Bible thumpers jamming their stinking religion down non-believer's throats!
You can't be any sicker of us "Bible thumpers" than we are of you .
The only reason that you bitch about any thing that has to do God, is that you don't have a life and WON't have one in the next!!!!
God bless.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 7 hr hasbeen 6,917
News Every NM driver should be licensed (Mar '11) Tue phiney 19
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) Tue nextchef 8,824
News NM official clears way for hearing on watera Aug 24 The truth 1
News Former deputy receives probation (Jul '08) Aug 23 Cassie 26
News Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Aug 15 Char 42
News Maggie Toulouse Oliver runs for SOS seat Aug 9 Gary J 12
More from around the web