Should In God We Trust be removed from money?

Posted in the New Mexico Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of185
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Star Gazer

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 21, 2008
 

Judged:

1

An atheist who has spent four years trying to ban the Pledge of Allegiance from being recited in public schools is now challenging the motto printed on U.S. currency because it refers to God.

Michael Newdow seeks to remove “In God We Trust” from U.S. coins and dollar bills, claiming in a federal lawsuit filed Thursday that the motto is an unconstitutional endorsement of religion.
Hal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 21, 2008
 

Judged:

5

3

1

No, Mr. Michael Newdow needs to get a hobby...
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 25, 2008
 

Judged:

11

7

7

Take it off. This is not a homogenous society, and includes millions of non-religious people.
99070783abc

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 29, 2008
 

Judged:

5

5

4

Change it to "The Flying Spaghetti Monster," it's just as made up as the other and makes as much sense.
Jeremy_Horne_PhD

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 29, 2008
 

Judged:

2

2

2

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust .

It is retrograde, intolerant, and totally ignores the feelings and views of nontheists about 20%( http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/statab/se... ). Talk of religionists attempting to impose their ideas on others - here is a perfect example. The same thing goes with religious icons appearing in taxpayer supported places (except as displays in museums, etc.). Too, how many countries tout religion on their currency. Religious belief has NO place in State affairs! It is called "separation of church and state."
stupidpeople

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Aug 30, 2008
 

Judged:

6

5

4

First off, the lawsuit is stupid. Next, what about court? When someone is sworn in especially an atheist, does that person say no when he asked to take an oath under God? Atheists are ignorant people. Wait till they die and see how much they wished they believed in God, then it will be too late. Not believing in God, the government not going by God's rule is one reason as to why America is messed up concerning schools with no prayers, courts with no ten commandments and so forth. Remember when atheists burn in hell, God won't throw water to save your burning ass!
SAFEGUY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 1, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

stupidpeople wrote:
First off, the lawsuit is stupid. Next, what about court? When someone is sworn in especially an atheist, does that person say no when he asked to take an oath under God? Atheists are ignorant people. Wait till they die and see how much they wished they believed in God, then it will be too late. Not believing in God, the government not going by God's rule is one reason as to why America is messed up concerning schools with no prayers, courts with no ten commandments and so forth. Remember when atheists burn in hell, God won't throw water to save your burning ass!
WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.(ATHEIST, MUSLIM, MORMON, JEW, HINDU, BUDDIST, WICKEN, DEMOCRATS, LIBERTARIANS, BAPTISTS, CATHOLICS, REDNECKS, CONSERVATIVES, NAVAJOS, CHINESE, MEXICANS, SPANISH, PEOPLE FROM DURANGO, PAGOSA SPRINGS, BONDAD, OURAY, SILVERTON, LEE ACRES, MONTEZUMA CREEK, BLANDING, CORTEZ, GALLUP, SAN FRANCISCO, SALT LAKE CITY, ETC.) GOD BLESS YOU, TOO!
Jeremy_Horne_PhD

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 1, 2008
 

Judged:

3

3

3

stupidpeople wrote:
First off, the lawsuit is stupid. Next, what about court? When someone is sworn in especially an atheist, does that person say no when he asked to take an oath under God? Atheists are ignorant people. Wait till they die and see how much they wished they believed in God, then it will be too late. Not believing in God, the government not going by God's rule is one reason as to why America is messed up concerning schools with no prayers, courts with no ten commandments and so forth. Remember when atheists burn in hell, God won't throw water to save your burning ass!
Let me enlighten your ignorance about oaths. In the US, one can opt to use the word "affirm", instead of "swear. Many countries have similar practices.( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_office )

The rest of your post is mere religious rhetoric and represents a belief system. The way that persons arrive at such systems can be challenged by philosophy, reasoning, critical thinking, and knowledge of history, science, and so forth. But, this is not the place to venture forth on that expedition. Nevertheless I can direct you initially to sites such as www.criticalthinking.org .
GODNOTGREAT

Eden, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 1, 2008
 

Judged:

6

5

4

Because he doesn't exist. I don't think we need to change the dollar, we just need to be on guard for Xtian zealotry in turning the USA into another tyrannical theocracy.
GODNOTGREAT

Eden, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 1, 2008
 

Judged:

3

3

3

stupidpeople wrote:
First off, the lawsuit is stupid. Next, what about court? When someone is sworn in especially an atheist, does that person say no when he asked to take an oath under God? Atheists are ignorant people. Wait till they die and see how much they wished they believed in God, then it will be too late. Not believing in God, the government not going by God's rule is one reason as to why America is messed up concerning schools with no prayers, courts with no ten commandments and so forth. Remember when atheists burn in hell, God won't throw water to save your burning ass!
Why are atheists stupid for not believing in a spectacularly unbelievable story for which there is no proof? Are we also stupid for not believing in Astrology?
GODNOTGREAT

Eden, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 1, 2008
 

Judged:

4

3

2

99070783abc wrote:
Change it to "The Flying Spaghetti Monster," it's just as made up as the other and makes as much sense.
Because that is blasphemy!

Change it to the one true God: The Man On The Moon.
Jeremy_Horne_PhD

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 1, 2008
 

Judged:

3

2

2

GODNOTGREAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Because that is blasphemy!
Change it to the one true God: The Man On The Moon.
GREAT to see your posts. I'd think you'd enjoy www.crank.net . It would be really funny were it not for so many of these types, like Bible thumpers being mentally ill.

Best regards,

Jeremy
GODNOTGREAT

Eden, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 2, 2008
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Jeremy_Horne_PhD wrote:
<quoted text>
GREAT to see your posts. I'd think you'd enjoy www.crank.net . It would be really funny were it not for so many of these types, like Bible thumpers being mentally ill.
Best regards,
Jeremy
If only we taught our kids how to be logical and think critically before we taught them fairytales...

Thanks for the site(s) you posted. I enjoyed them both.
GOOD GRIEF

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 3, 2008
 

Judged:

5

4

2

I have a deep belief in God which will not change if In God We Trust is removed from our currency or if One nation under God is restored to One nation indivisible in our Pledge of Allegiance. President Dwight D. Eisenhower made the changes to our currency & the pledge. You remember General Eisenhower who became the 34th president of the United States. Very religious man who followed the Nine Commandments as best he could. You & I know there are 10 but he ignored Thou shalt not commit adultery when he dilly dallied with his secretary for many years.

Everybody has a right to believe or not believe in God in this country. Religious freedom is one of the many things that makes our country great. Not believing in God is also a part of that freedom. Because somebody does not share our religious beliefs does not make them a bad person or doomed to hell as some think as far as I'm concerned.
Socrates

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 3, 2008
 
Jeremy_Horne_PhD wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me enlighten your ignorance about oaths. In the US, one can opt to use the word "affirm", instead of "swear. Many countries have similar practices.( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_office )
The rest of your post is mere religious rhetoric and represents a belief system. The way that persons arrive at such systems can be challenged by philosophy, reasoning, critical thinking, and knowledge of history, science, and so forth. But, this is not the place to venture forth on that expedition. Nevertheless I can direct you initially to sites such as www.criticalthinking.org .
furthermore,'under god' has been replaced by 'under penalty of perjury' in NM as well as most places
Sadyoudontknowth etruth

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sep 3, 2008
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Jeremy_Horne_PhD wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be really funny were it not for so many of these types, like Bible thumpers being mentally ill.
So is your doctorate in medicine so you're qualified to make that diagnosis? YOu want people to see your way of thinking, but you're judgemental about others beliefs.
Jeremy_Horne_PhD

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 3, 2008
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Sadyoudontknowthetruth wrote:
<quoted text>
So is your doctorate in medicine so you're qualified to make that diagnosis? YOu want people to see your way of thinking, but you're judgemental about others beliefs.
I love the assumptions that persons like you make: "So is your doctorate in medicine". You have nary a clue about what my Ph.D. is in. Besides, a Ph.D. is not an M.D. Remember the first three letters of the word "assumption", yell that into a mirror, and now we have an accurate description of the person making the post to which I am now responding.

“"Just 'cuz I can"”

Since: Feb 08

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 3, 2008
 

Judged:

5

3

2

GOOD GRIEF wrote:
I have a deep belief in God which will not change if In God We Trust is removed from our currency or if One nation under God is restored to One nation indivisible in our Pledge of Allegiance. President Dwight D. Eisenhower made the changes to our currency & the pledge. You remember General Eisenhower who became the 34th president of the United States. Very religious man who followed the Nine Commandments as best he could. You & I know there are 10 but he ignored Thou shalt not commit adultery when he dilly dallied with his secretary for many years.
Everybody has a right to believe or not believe in God in this country. Religious freedom is one of the many things that makes our country great. Not believing in God is also a part of that freedom. Because somebody does not share our religious beliefs does not make them a bad person or doomed to hell as some think as far as I'm concerned.
Don't know if you have seen these or not but, the phrase "In GOD we trust" has been taken off currency. Check your paper and coin money. There is a coin out there now that has the phrase taken off of it. Return it to the person that hands it to you and ask for "real" money instead.

“"Just 'cuz I can"”

Since: Feb 08

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 3, 2008
 

Judged:

3

Socrates wrote:
<quoted text>
furthermore,'under god' has been replaced by 'under penalty of perjury' in NM as well as most places
Sounds like NM. Good thing the state doesnt' print it's own money. It really wouldn't be worth the paper or ink either.
clone benson

Bryan, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 3, 2008
 
yes this a a unholy new age,go figure,god is insulted using his name

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of185
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••