Doctor shortage impacts New Mexico healthcare

May 12, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: ClipSyndicate

Right now in New Mexico there are not enough primary care doctors. There is a shortage of 400 to 600 full time doctors and it's a problem that affects thousand of New Mexicans everyday.

Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Jun 24, 2013

“Socialism leads to starvation”

Since: Jul 09

Aztec

#1 May 12, 2011
Huh? I wonder if the shortage is do to the fact that NM doctors must obsorb the 7% state sales tax?
Looking at how wpoorly Medicare works, I am dreading Obama care.
Ain't socialism grand?
gretchen

Carlsbad, NM

#2 May 12, 2011
hilllbilly wrote:
Huh? I wonder if the shortage is do to the fact that NM doctors must obsorb the 7% state sales tax?
Looking at how wpoorly Medicare works, I am dreading Obama care.
Ain't socialism grand?
docs are retiring early..... 50's to have a life, skip the hassles, and avoid obuma care

get used to no docs

Costa Rica brags about universal care... but you simply can not get an appointment
sorry

communism/socialism does not work - just ask a Russian
gretchen

Carlsbad, NM

#3 May 12, 2011
hilllbilly wrote:
Huh? I wonder if the shortage is do to the fact that NM doctors must obsorb the 7% state sales tax?
Looking at how wpoorly Medicare works, I am dreading Obama care.
Ain't socialism grand?
hey hillbilly..........
do you use 100% seal oil or do you mix it with corn squeezing (ethanol)
just curious
turkeytroter

Carlsbad, NM

#4 May 12, 2011
a current example is the Obama required electronic medical record

many doctors do not type, so no electronic record
so they QUIT or hunt & peck and your wait is 2 hours longer

are you liking obama care yet?

now you may see a witch doctor if you are sick

“Not vengeance, punishment.”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#5 May 13, 2011
I would guess that doctors in NM get paid far less than in other parts of the country. With the expensive education they have to get, they would never be able to pay it off with NM patients. Makes more sense to move to a part of the country where they can make some good money.
Agree

Santa Fe, NM

#7 May 13, 2011
hilllbilly wrote:
Huh? I wonder if the shortage is do to the fact that NM doctors must obsorb the 7% state sales tax?
?
with getting rid of the NMGRT for services. Too bad you couldn't resist taking a trip to crazy town with the rest of your off-topic rant.
bob

Carlsbad, NM

#11 May 13, 2011
turkeytroter wrote:
a current example is the Obama required electronic medical record
many doctors do not type, so no electronic record
so they QUIT or hunt & peck and your wait is 2 hours longer
are you liking obama care yet?
now you may see a witch doctor if you are sick
if all it takes to get them to quit is to require them to write something down, i'm sure we're better-off with 'em gone. quitters quit. it's what they do. better they quit and devote themselves to thier drinking and golf than to have them quit learning yet still practice. purgeing nonperformers, that's all.
realinfo

Carlsbad, NM

#12 May 13, 2011
Deputy276 wrote:
I would guess that doctors in NM get paid far less than in other parts of the country. With the expensive education they have to get, they would never be able to pay it off with NM patients. Makes more sense to move to a part of the country where they can make some good money.
40% of NM is on medicaid - government insurance for the poor..... poor people are less intelligent, less compliant, abrasive, and in general less rewarding to deal with......

for example.... patient is waiting to be seen in the ER at 2AM for jock itch; when the doctor enters the room the patient is on the phone and tells the doc to come back later when he gets finished with the phne call

“Not vengeance, punishment.”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#14 May 13, 2011
realinfo wrote:
<quoted text>
40% of NM is on medicaid - government insurance for the poor..... poor people are less intelligent, less compliant, abrasive, and in general less rewarding to deal with......
for example.... patient is waiting to be seen in the ER at 2AM for jock itch; when the doctor enters the room the patient is on the phone and tells the doc to come back later when he gets finished with the phne call
Yeah, I was gonna say that, but the lefties on here would whip out the race card. Even though "poor people" isn't race.
Deputo

Santa Fe, NM

#15 May 13, 2011
realinfo wrote:
<quoted text>
40% of NM is on medicaid - government insurance for the poor..... poor people are less intelligent, less compliant, abrasive, and in general less rewarding to deal with......
for example.... patient is waiting to be seen in the ER at 2AM for jock itch; when the doctor enters the room the patient is on the phone and tells the doc to come back later when he gets finished with the phne call
thought his sheep std was jock itch.
Buck Ofama

United States

#18 May 13, 2011
turkeytroter wrote:
a current example is the Obama required electronic medical record
many doctors do not type, so no electronic record
so they QUIT or hunt & peck and your wait is 2 hours longer
are you liking obama care yet?
now you may see a witch doctor if you are sick
I dunno, I'd be afraid to see a doctor that doesn't have enough sense to hire a clerk or receptionist to do the data entry. Scary.
Buck Ofama

United States

#19 May 13, 2011
Actually, my wife works for a doctor and she tells me that doctors spend an inordinate amount of time justifying their diagnosis to private insurance companies. The general M.O. of insurance companies is to hire claims adjuster to deny, deny, deny, until the doctor and patient go away. I understand Obama care might just fix this but what do I know.
fanniemae

Carlsbad, NM

#21 May 13, 2011
Buck Ofama wrote:
Actually, my wife works for a doctor and she tells me that doctors spend an inordinate amount of time justifying their diagnosis to private insurance companies. The general M.O. of insurance companies is to hire claims adjuster to deny, deny, deny, until the doctor and patient go away. I understand Obama care might just fix this but what do I know.
both medicare and medicaid (the 2 government programs) have the same MO. in fact, insurance companies routinely piggy back on medicare rules of non payment
turkeytrotter

Carlsbad, NM

#22 May 13, 2011
Buck Ofama wrote:
<quoted text>
I dunno, I'd be afraid to see a doctor that doesn't have enough sense to hire a clerk or receptionist to do the data entry. Scary.
docs are EMPLOYEES of the hospital.... the hospital will not hire a clerk because of the need for more profit
majorie

Carlsbad, NM

#23 May 13, 2011
Deputy276 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I was gonna say that, but the lefties on here would whip out the race card. Even though "poor people" isn't race.
yes, the issue is not race,
it is POOR brain cell development
Just

Santa Fe, NM

#25 May 13, 2011
hunkie boy wrote:
theres nothing in that state to attract anyone or any profession, place is poor.
because you couldn't find a job in gay porn or working the streets doesn't mean that real professionals can't make a living here and still enjoy our beautiful state.
Iskander

Albuquerque, NM

#27 May 17, 2013
We'd should give more opportunities to IMGs(International Medical Graduates) for them to fill positions in medically undeserved and rural areas creating programs for them to re-certify their degrees here and get residencies in family medicine and other demanded specialties or allow them to get into fast tracks programs to PAs or NPs. Only in New Mexico there are more than a hundred of Foreign Medical Professionals, including more than 40 MDs and Nurses which have their foreign credentials evaluated evaluated by US accredited agencies an their training is equivalent, a lot of experience in the medical field in two or more countries and are bilinguals, fluent in English and Spanish. All are legal residents of the State and they just want to enter into Medical or Nursing practice in this State with doctors and nurses shortage. Some of them have been applying to PA and Nursing Schools with their credits but they need those credits they earned to be accepted for schools as a fast track for this workforce already trained and experienced to get into the school and help with the providers shortage in the State. If some school, program or department is interested in work with them please contact iskander.garcia@gmail.com.
castro

Carlsbad, NM

#28 May 19, 2013
Iskander wrote:
We'd should give more opportunities to IMGs(International Medical Graduates) for them to fill positions in medically undeserved and rural areas creating programs for them to re-certify their degrees here and get residencies in family medicine and other demanded specialties or allow them to get into fast tracks programs to PAs or NPs. Only in New Mexico there are more than a hundred of Foreign Medical Professionals, including more than 40 MDs and Nurses which have their foreign credentials evaluated evaluated by US accredited agencies an their training is equivalent, a lot of experience in the medical field in two or more countries and are bilinguals, fluent in English and Spanish. All are legal residents of the State and they just want to enter into Medical or Nursing practice in this State with doctors and nurses shortage. Some of them have been applying to PA and Nursing Schools with their credits but they need those credits they earned to be accepted for schools as a fast track for this workforce already trained and experienced to get into the school and help with the providers shortage in the State. If some school, program or department is interested in work with them please contact iskander.garcia@gmail.com.
we simply can NOT do this.... we must 1st allow all the family members of the illegals to come here - they need all the immigration slots

sorry
executioner

Alamogordo, NM

#29 Jun 12, 2013
Soon, NM will be the leader in death! The smart leave!

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#30 Jun 24, 2013
Does anyone else think that the shortage could be related to the higher number of people on Medicaid and Medicare in New Mexico? In other parts of the country, docs lose money one these patients for the most part. They can't even cover overhead. Overhead means being able to hire a credentialed coder who is VERY familiar with CMS. Not cheap.

I am friends with a couple of primary care docs, and they are lucky to clear 80k. Less if they accept Medicare or Medicaid. Sounds like a good salary, until you realize how much student loan debt most of them have and how late in life they are getting started (no retirement, no savings, no fun).

I think that bringing in foreign grads in any healthcare profession is a terrible idea. I have problems with outsourcing in healthcare also. Most people don't realize that 96% of medical transcription is outsourced to third world countries and is a hot mess. Our SSNs and medical information is widely available. Thanks, NAFTA. There were many great medical transcriptionists in the US who lost their jobs over the outsourcing. Another layer of patient protection- gone. Shame.

Healthcare just doesn't work very well with capitalism.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Costs of coal power plant proposal challenged 5 hr Solarman 1
Say it in six words (Jul '08) 12 hr COBRA_Attacks 8,489
Gary King visits Alamogordo while on the campai... Aug 25 WARRIOR 17
New Mexico Chile joins Idaho Potatoes as certif... Aug 23 Kid_Tomorrow 2
New Mexico oil, gas industries see record produ... Aug 20 zoro2 1
Republicans reach out (Feb '14) Aug 12 Gee Ohhh Pee 68
stockexchange_business_casino_slotmachine_gambling Aug 10 this 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

New Mexico People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••