vlad dracul

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Would have been a resident long ago but the crushing real estate debacle set us back. We visit often and still call New Mexico our true home>
O bllaaarrggag

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

Wow you must live in a reallllly horrible place if Southern NM sounds good...Anywhere in NM for that matter...
Deputy

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

ROFL!!! Good comment O bllaaarrggag. I live in SW New Mexico (Silver City) and I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. No jobs. Rising crime rates. Businesses closing as fast as they open. Drug dealers and drunks everywhere. If you aren't into bird-watching and getting lost on mountain trails, this place isn't for you. One GOOD thng...we have very lenient gun laws. Open carry is allowed. Concealed carry is permitted with license. Only real problem is liberal DAs go after the good guy instead of the bad guy in any shootings.
clunkybalunky

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

There are almost no jobs down that way. If you are retired and set well then go for it. I used to live in La Mesa, about 15 miles south of Las Cruces. It's a very nice town with two fine restaurants and a hardware store.

Since: Dec 08

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2009

Judged:

One mans trash is another mans treasure. I moved to Southern New Mexico years ago and happily call it home. The weather is great 9 months out of the year (which is more than I can say for most of the country), the roads aren't as clogged (yet), and there's room to stretch your legs. I can understand why some don't like it down here, but I personally am very happy with what Las Cruces and the area has to offer.

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Judged:

Dr Aggie wrote:
One mans trash is another mans treasure. I moved to Southern New Mexico years ago and happily call it home. The weather is great 9 months out of the year (which is more than I can say for most of the country), the roads aren't as clogged (yet), and there's room to stretch your legs. I can understand why some don't like it down here, but I personally am very happy with what Las Cruces and the area has to offer.
I agree with you. We live in southern New Mexico by choice and can think of no other place I would rather be. No place is perfect.
Den Mark

Ozark, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Judged:

I love western N.M., My Parents still live near Glenwood. Great place if your are healthy and have income.

“Not vengeance, punishment.”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Well if you don't mind sucking on the govt teat and living in a mobile home, it's probably okay. Housign and land are VERY expensive unless you move into the desert areas like the road between Deming and Silver City. If you have a retirement income that is decent (I do) it's okay. Be prepared to join a neighborhood watch. Crime is skyrocketing around here. Methamphetamine is a major problem. We had a neighborhood watch meeting last night and the crime figures we heard were alarming to put it mildly. THe only two major stores we hsve in opur town are Albertsons and Wallyworld. NOTHING ELSE. We have to drive for an hour to Deming to shop in K-Mart and all the way to Las Cruces for Lowes or Home Depot. This town is where old hippies go to live. If you aren't a far left leberal (I'm NOT), you will have a hard time fitting in here.
New to Town

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

We relocated here recently, and yes, it has been an adjustment, but we're happy we're here.

Every place has the things you like about it, and those you don't. If you've been here before and spent some time, chances are you have a fairly good idea of what to expect.

Less population means things move more slowly. A true expert can be challenging if not impossible to find. It also means more open spaces, more wildlife to see, and a slower pace of life than in other places. Weigh your priorities, do some research, and hey, best of luck in whatever you do!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Judged:

Just remember that dialing 911 could end up with you DEAD. Buy a handgun and go to a concealed carry course if you move here. This is NOT paradise or Shangri-La. ;-)
Bill from Cruces

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2009

Lets see I've been in Las Cruces going on 17 years and before that Roswell for some 30+ years. I'm ready to leave NM altogether, just not because of the state, just need a new view. Oh and all this crap at the border is getting too close for comfort for me. Think I need to put some distance in there. Colo here I come, back to my birth state hopefully.

“NM Desert Rat”

Elephant Butte, N.M.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

Judged:

Bill from Cruces wrote:
Lets see I've been in Las Cruces going on 17 years and before that Roswell for some 30+ years. I'm ready to leave NM altogether, just not because of the state, just need a new view. Oh and all this crap at the border is getting too close for comfort for me. Think I need to put some distance in there. Colo here I come, back to my birth state hopefully.
Bye
Just Wondering

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

Judged:

An area is what you make of it. Everywhere has its pros and cons. People will tell you about the good or the bad based on their own bias. So take some with a grain of salt.
Deming-ite

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

Judged:

You're so right, every place has it's pros and cons. We moved from S. Calif. to Deming almost 10 yrs. ago and love it here, we're pretty rural where we're at. The good things are very little traffic, low population, clean air and great well water, good down to earth people for the most part, low taxes, slow growth and lots of room to stretch.

We've had visitors, more curious to where we wound up than anything, and I found it's the women that don't care for being this rural. Know what bothers them the most ? No malls/shopping, which doesn't bother me in the least, in fact I go to Las Cruces for things I can't find here less and less. Once in Las Cruces I get what I need on my list and go right home to my piece and quiet.

We're retired and comfortable, finding where we live most relaxing, and at our age piece and quiet are foremost.

As for crime, drugs,etc. it's everywhere, just seems worse and more out of control when you live in a smallish area rather than a big one.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

Judged:

Just Wondering wrote:
An area is what you make of it. Everywhere has its pros and cons. People will tell you about the good or the bad based on their own bias. So take some with a grain of salt.
Interesting. Just for the heck of it I looked up Pinole, CA. "The median income for a household in the city was $62,256".

The median income for a household in Silver City is $25,881. About 17.7% of families and 21.9% of the population of Silver City are below the poverty line, including 29.2% of those under age 18 and 10.0% of those age 65 or over.
Isn't it amazing how one can wax philosophical and see the brighter side of things when you have some hard cash and a better standard of living to judge from?
Doesn't look like there are many grains of salt being swallowed in Pinole, CA.
:-)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

Judged:

Deming-ite wrote:
You're so right, every place has it's pros and cons. We moved from S. Calif. to Deming almost 10 yrs. ago and love it here, we're pretty rural where we're at. The good things are very little traffic, low population, clean air and great well water, good down to earth people for the most part, low taxes, slow growth and lots of room to stretch.
We've had visitors, more curious to where we wound up than anything, and I found it's the women that don't care for being this rural. Know what bothers them the most ? No malls/shopping, which doesn't bother me in the least, in fact I go to Las Cruces for things I can't find here less and less. Once in Las Cruces I get what I need on my list and go right home to my piece and quiet.
We're retired and comfortable, finding where we live most relaxing, and at our age piece and quiet are foremost.
As for crime, drugs,etc. it's everywhere, just seems worse and more out of control when you live in a smallish area rather than a big one.
Time to update your profile. Unless you have a second house in Lawrence, MS :-)

Best thing in Deming is the restraunt called Palmas. Best Italian food this side of Las Cruces. We have NOTHING as far as decent restraunts in Silver City, so I sure can't criticize.:-)
As to crime and drugs being everywhere...just remember that Deming is just a short distance to the Mexican border. Crime has started spilling over into the US and it's not likely the federal government is going to do much about it. Take the advice of the Boy Scouts....be prepared for fight or flight.

“NM Desert Rat”

Elephant Butte, N.M.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

Judged:

Deputy276 wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. Just for the heck of it I looked up Pinole, CA. "The median income for a household in the city was $62,256".
The median income for a household in Silver City is $25,881. About 17.7% of families and 21.9% of the population of Silver City are below the poverty line, including 29.2% of those under age 18 and 10.0% of those age 65 or over.
Isn't it amazing how one can wax philosophical and see the brighter side of things when you have some hard cash and a better standard of living to judge from?
Doesn't look like there are many grains of salt being swallowed in Pinole, CA.
:-)
If you hate southern New Mexico so much why can't you relocate to an area that would be better suited for you?

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2009

Judged:

NM Desert Rat wrote:
<quoted text>
If you hate southern New Mexico so much why can't you relocate to an area that would be better suited for you?
Because he would be deprived of his favorite passion--griping about where he lives and the need to carry weapons to church, the john, and to mc donald's drive -up window.
Just Wondering

Fontana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2009

For Deputy276. The city name just changes when I write a comment. I actually live in Alamogordo, NM and have since 92. Even so I don't think you realize what the cost of living is like in Calif. It is all realitive to an extent.I have lived in Cali and still have friends there.
William L

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2009

People who live here complain, Cry, cuss the area but you could not run them off with a Bucket of S**T

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••