Their View: Three ways to improve voting process in New Mexico

Feb 10, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Silver City Sun-News

For many years now, New Mexicans have experienced aggressive efforts to require government issued photo ID's at the polls.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Just Me

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

In Oregon the majority have been voting by mail for years. Signatures are compared and it works well for voters who don't have hours to stand in line in the cold on one day.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Don't forget the USPS is stopping all Saturday mail delivery soon, except for parcels.

Early voting sites handle this crap nicely, no viable reason why one can't vote early or absentee. Some want to make a problem where in general one doesn't exist. Next thing they'll want is someone to come to their home with a ballot in-hand so they are not inconvenienced!

Make the effort voters, do your duty, stop being lazy &apathetic or STHU!
Frankly

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

CornDogz wrote:
Don't forget the USPS is stopping all Saturday mail delivery soon, except for parcels.
Early voting sites handle this crap nicely, no viable reason why one can't vote early or absentee. Some want to make a problem where in general one doesn't exist. Next thing they'll want is someone to come to their home with a ballot in-hand so they are not inconvenienced!
I don't trust the ability of people to keep internet voting secure, but for advisory questions - why not?

The situation in Rio Rancho was just wrong. There should be national minimal standards for number of polling places, number of machines and early voting options.

I think one improvement that should be implemented is more consolidated elections. We had a stealth election last week with one bond issue on the ballot. Barely any notification...and a couple of months after another election. If they had early voting, I didn't hear about. If i had work travel I would not have been able to weigh in. In many places in the US the county actually sends you a packet with a voter information and an absentee ballot application. With a system like that, even the first gentleman might remember to do his duty without having the missus forge his name.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't trust the ability of people to keep internet voting secure, but for advisory questions - why not?
The situation in Rio Rancho was just wrong. There should be national minimal standards for number of polling places, number of machines and early voting options.
I think one improvement that should be implemented is more consolidated elections. We had a stealth election last week with one bond issue on the ballot. Barely any notification...and a couple of months after another election. If they had early voting, I didn't hear about. If i had work travel I would not have been able to weigh in. In many places in the US the county actually sends you a packet with a voter information and an absentee ballot application. With a system like that, even the first gentleman might remember to do his duty without having the missus forge his name.
Consolidated elections make perfect sense to me. Recently the APS board election is being bemoaned and one politician (figures!) was whining that putting too many things on one ballot would disenfranchise voters and could cause many not to bother voting. Horse pucky! Seems like that end result (not to bother) is exactly what occurred with the APS election, and it only had a couple candidates and questions on it. If the outcome is going to be the same, why not save the money of holding two elections? IMO anyone who goes to the polls to vote and has no clue who is running or what the issues are beforehand should probably stay away.

RR & Sandoval Co need to get off their butts and do it properly, but by the same token so do the voters.

BTW, I agree with you on internet voting. It's good conceptually, but doing it with the confidence your vote really gets there is another story altogether. The internet is too easily manipulated, not that our current system(s) are w/o fault either.
hillary

Los Alamos, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

CornDogz wrote:
There are also bills which are attempting to curtail voting, too. I think it's fine ,we jsut need to give Hector Balderas more money to do the auditing needed to make sure we have legit voters, not more onerous sign up things.
hillary

Los Alamos, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Consolidated elections make perfect sense to me. Recently the APS board election is being bemoaned and one politician (figures!) was whining that putting too many things on one ballot would disenfranchise voters and could cause many not to bother voting. Horse pucky!
This has actually happened i nthe past, so that is why it is as it is now. Also, internet voting has been about as accurate as anything else done via the internet, so I would not support it. I stil lwatch Mark Rochetti do the weather, he seems more accurate than anything but Steve Stuecker. Weather channel sucks. TRhe smith guy does the weather with two hours old info, too.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Something tells me this whole voting thing will get worse before it gets better. People want to feel secure, feel that their vote is counted, regardless of the issue or person. Internet voting does not promote that feeling nor that security.

Consolidated voting is a good thing and I hope to hear more about it as it is refined and eventually occurs.

Those who whine it takes too long to vote would likely not whine if their wait @ Starbucks exceeded 5 minutes though.
Hagar

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

When you consider how many Millions, perhaps Billions, of internet transactions per day on the internet are done using credit cards with very little fraud, there is no reason internet voting cannot be secure. It just takes the effort to set up the system and do a thorough check of it. Years ago voting by phone was proposed and some testing was done, but it was abandoned because of the cost of doing the security checks necessary at that time. I think things have improved considerably. Look at the smartphones and their ability to conduct secure information transactions. Banking by internet is very secure, so why can't these technologies be adopted by the State for internet voting? The current system is probably less secure than internet voting could be made.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Hagar wrote:
When you consider how many Millions, perhaps Billions, of internet transactions per day on the internet are done using credit cards with very little fraud, there is no reason internet voting cannot be secure. It just takes the effort to set up the system and do a thorough check of it. Years ago voting by phone was proposed and some testing was done, but it was abandoned because of the cost of doing the security checks necessary at that time. I think things have improved considerably. Look at the smartphones and their ability to conduct secure information transactions. Banking by internet is very secure, so why can't these technologies be adopted by the State for internet voting? The current system is probably less secure than internet voting could be made.
Good post, and yes, the current system may well be less secure. Having worked the polls many times I doubt the current system is any more secure overall than the old machine system was. And I have no faith in paper ballots using manual counting, which we do not do thank God other than when scanned in.

Certainly there can be a much more secure means of doing it over the 'net, and I could go with it were it more secure. However many won't feel 'secure' because of all of the identity theft going on nowadays with computers. They equate a computer to the internet and there is a permanent link in their minds. Until a concentrated effort is made to speak to security, and some unique identifiers coupled together for that purpose, it'll never occur. For sure it would cut down on the lines at the polls!
Hagar

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post, and yes, the current system may well be less secure. Having worked the polls many times I doubt the current system is any more secure overall than the old machine system was. And I have no faith in paper ballots using manual counting, which we do not do thank God other than when scanned in.
Certainly there can be a much more secure means of doing it over the 'net, and I could go with it were it more secure. However many won't feel 'secure' because of all of the identity theft going on nowadays with computers. They equate a computer to the internet and there is a permanent link in their minds. Until a concentrated effort is made to speak to security, and some unique identifiers coupled together for that purpose, it'll never occur. For sure it would cut down on the lines at the polls!
Just curious, do you bank on-line?

“US Navy”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Hagar wrote:
<quoted text>Just curious, do you bank on-line?
Yes I do, and that is because they have a secure means of doing so, AND because my bank will cover any loss incurred by identity theft. I also register my vehicles on-line too.

The Government has the means to do security for this too, but have not employed it yet for voting, which they should IMO. If they did I'd use it!

My point is there are things they can do to alleviate and lessen the impact of the voting line issue, but until they address it properly, people will not feel secure in voting that way. In part their refusal so far to address secure internet voting is part of the problem. The other being people's failure to use early voting IF they are already sure how they'll vote ahead of time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••