New Mexico's 33 Counties Ask State's Supreme Court to Rule on Same-Sex Marriage

Sep 8, 2013 Full story: Free Republic

All 33 counties in New Mexico filed a joint petition in the state's Supreme Court this week seeking clarification on the legality of same-sex marriage in the state.

Full Story

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#1 Sep 8, 2013
About time the NMSC admit they are chickenshits with respect to ruling on this issue. It will be amusing to see how the legislature responds to this since it was they initially who said the decision should be theirs.

However I still feel the decision should be voted on by the people. Perhaps a ruling from the NMSC will lead to that once they rule and the dust settles.

“Kees Mee, I's Ireesh”

Since: Jun 09

Ol' Juarez

#2 Sep 8, 2013
It shouldn't even be an issue as to whether gay couples can marry or not. Why should WE vote on it? If we are to tell them who they can love, and marry, then WE should decide who heterosexual couples can love, and marry too.

“Kees Mee, I's Ireesh”

Since: Jun 09

Ol' Juarez

#4 Sep 8, 2013
edgar wrote:
The New Mexico "Supreme Court" will cave into their craven yearnings.
These so-called "Justices" have sifted and shifted their whole lives in order to be in a position to dictate what others will do under their under their Imperatum.
Like Ozymandias, what will be left of their laws is only stone-faced injustice.
MPD, I have missed you. Darling send money!!

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#5 Sep 10, 2013
Love the title of this thread. Need a translator. But as to asking the people to vote on rights that one group can have and another cannot, a resounding "No". A republic. Not a town meeting or democracy.

Why don't we ask the people to vote on entitlements. Let's vote ourselves a $5K per person subsidy because of the economy. We might as well skip the ballot box for Executive and Legislative Branches and just have everyone vote from the comfort of their home. Like American Idol.

At least we have the ballot box to use for those congresscritters etc. who are self-serving.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tourism boss takes over CYFD 11 hr I guess 2
New Mexico Outdoor 2015 Updates 20 hr NewMexicoOutdoor 1
Ask A Mexican (Nov '10) 23 hr Tiki 22,703
The Fed's next land fight: New Mexico ranchers ... (May '14) Mon Ralph 38
Say it in six words (Jul '08) Dec 18 Fantasy football 8,584
NM Airlines grounds planes Dec 17 Not Good for New ... 1
Lea County number 1 in New Mexico for smoking (Dec '09) Dec 17 Demerii 26
More from around the web