Senate vote on NM school chief confirmation delayed at least until next week

Mar 4, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Deming Headlight

The long-running debate on whether state senators should confirm or reject New Mexico's public education chief will run even longer.

Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated Mar 15, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hagar

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 4, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Good old boy social club at work. Get off your duff and do the work you were sent to SF to do!
There

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 4, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Hagar wrote:
Good old boy social club at work. Get off your duff and do the work you were sent to SF to do!
would be no problem if the governor had provided a nominee who met the minimum requirements laid out in the law and not a political appointee unfamiliar with the territory and connected with those who want tax dollars to support privatization of public education.
Hagar

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 4, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

There wrote:
<quoted text>
would be no problem if the governor had provided a nominee who met the minimum requirements laid out in the law and not a political appointee unfamiliar with the territory and connected with those who want tax dollars to support privatization of public education.
To the best of my knowledge there is no requirement for her to have been a teacher; that is just a myth perpetuated by the lazy legislature who are using it as a tool against the Republican governor. Any governors appointees are political; were you expecting anything different? The appointee has made improvements in the schools. The last time I checked, New Mexico is a state, not a territory, so perhaps you are one of the old timers who has not seen the news and are a part of the problem.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 4, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Regardless of the law or not, given that we've followed that path for so long, and given the state of our public school system, it seems evident a change was/is needed. One thing is obvious, a handful of teachers, their useless union an the legislature all have a problem with allowing change.

In many ways it's like the stranglehold the Dems have on the NMDL issue for example - stubbornness and arrogance.
Nope

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 4, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

CornDogz wrote:
She is basically a corporate lobbyist on temporary leave in a new potential market promoting the privatization of public institutions. At least when the corporate corrections industry came here they just bribed people. You didn't have the governor put them in charge and allow them to overrule the will of local people.

Teacher bashing is something people usually outgrow upon graduation.
Hagar

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 4, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
She is basically a corporate lobbyist on temporary leave in a new potential market promoting the privatization of public institutions. At least when the corporate corrections industry came here they just bribed people. You didn't have the governor put them in charge and allow them to overrule the will of local people.
Teacher bashing is something people usually outgrow upon graduation.
Sounds like you swallowed the lazy legislature bait hook, line, and sinker. She didn't make our schools bad; the teachers didn't teach and the political correct rules caused it. You are looking for an excuse to continue the same old path which has proven ineffective.
The

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 4, 2013
 
Hagar wrote:
<quoted text>.
NM PED Secretary Designate Hanna Skandera, who has still not been confirmed by the New Mexico legislature, sits on the board of PARCC. PARCC pays for Skandera’s travel to attend its meetings.

Achieve Inc. operates PARCC. Skandera gave Achieve, Inc. a four-month contract totaling $39,660. The Journal neglected to mention that PARCC, a state contractor, pays for Skandera’s travel. This is not the first time Skandera has traveled on a state contractor’s dime.

Chad Colby is PARCC and Achieve Inc.’s Director of Strategic Communications & Outreach. The Journal article quotes Colby, but fails to mention that Skandera gave Chad Colby a Professional Services contract back in February 2011 “to provide technical assistance and advise on issues for the Secretary of Education”.

Part of Colby’s advice appears to have been to replace The Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, the group that the former PED Secretary, Veronica Garcia, had already started working with to help New Mexico implement the Common Core State Standards.

After advising Skandera, Colby went to work for Achieve. Low and behold, Skandera then dropped Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium and replaced them with PARCC.

New Mexico, under Garcia submitted an application for Race to the Top funds. Part of the application included,“Continue the partnership with the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium to develop and implement common, high-quality assessments that will establish a comprehensive system aligned with the common core standards, guide instruction, and support a growth-based accountability model.”

Under Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, APS would not have to shell out the nearly $50 million to meet the arbitrary equipment standards required by PARCC.
The

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 4, 2013
 
Hagar wrote:
<quoted text>
New Mexico education chief Hanna Skandera has overruled the state Public Education Commission and will allow a new all-online charter school to open in the fall.

The Albuquerque Journal reports that the school will be called New Mexico Connections Academy and will contract with the online, for-profit curriculum company Connections Academy.

The school aims to serve students in grades K-12 from around the state. Skandera's decision Wednesday came as a national nonprofit, In the Public Interest, released thousands of emails between former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush's education foundation and policymakers in several states, including New Mexico.

Connections Academy is one of several online education companies that donates money to Bush's Foundation for Excellence in Education, an organization Skandera turns to for advice on reform initiatives.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s2917225.s...
Nope

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 4, 2013
 
Hagar wrote:
<quoted text>To the best of my knowledge there is no requirement for her to have been a teacher; that is just a myth
a provision in the New Mexico Constitution requires that the education secretary must be a “qualified, experienced educator.”

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 5, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
She is basically a corporate lobbyist on temporary leave in a new potential market promoting the privatization of public institutions. At least when the corporate corrections industry came here they just bribed people. You didn't have the governor put them in charge and allow them to overrule the will of local people.
Teacher bashing is something people usually outgrow upon graduation.
<yawn>... Perhaps some teachers ARE part of the problem. Would you have that ignored if they were? What we were doing wasn't working so maybe the "local people" need to get a clue and be open to some change instead of the status quo here (arrogance and stubbornness).

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 5, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

The wrote:
<quoted text>
NM PED Secretary Designate Hanna Skandera, who has still not been confirmed by the New Mexico legislature...
I don't care where she sits so I deleted the major portion in this reply. In typical NM fashion, too many are worried about superfluous stuff and ignore the core issue. I fail to see any CONSTRUCTIVE solutions come from the protesters, unions and other malcontents, incl our legislature, only ridicule and apathy. Why is that?

Why has it taken two years for the legislature to give her a confirmation hearing? Arrogance and stubbornness!!

Core issue - NMs schools are failing. The old way has not worked. Our youth deserves better.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 5, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

The wrote:
<quoted text>
New Mexico education chief Hanna Skandera has overruled the state Public Education Commission and will allow a new all-online charter school to open in the fall.
Please tell me this isn't your only problem with her, well, this and where you seem to think she comes from, her backers etc.
fscott

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 5, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

She has done a good job and that is why the UNIONS and TEACHERS along with there democratic allies would like to see her gone.
nope

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 5, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Please tell me this isn't your only problem with her, well, this and where you seem to think she comes from, her backers etc.
But there is a money trail involved...
Again, when "for profits" groups try to get their hands in the public funds that are set aside to provide a basic right and service - that is a problem. Public schools should work on improving themselves and providing the best education open to everybody. Corporations by law have to be focused on making a buck for their stockholders.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 5, 2013
 
nope wrote:
<quoted text>
But there is a money trail involved...
Again, when "for profits" groups try to get their hands in the public funds that are set aside to provide a basic right and service - that is a problem. Public schools should work on improving themselves and providing the best education open to everybody. Corporations by law have to be focused on making a buck for their stockholders.
No different in general terms than the entire charter school concept embraced by the legislature and the APS long ago. I'm no fan of charter schools as they create 'throw away' students, regardless of their claim otherwise, however I did expect some public school changes to come forth and some ideas to be adopted that were for the benefit of the students statewide. Silly me...
our

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 5, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

legislature isn't smart enough to know when someone is doing a good thing.
Hagar

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 5, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
a provision in the New Mexico Constitution requires that the education secretary must be a “qualified, experienced educator.”
NOTE: It DOES NOT SAY a teacher. There are other experiences in education besides teaching. There are other equally important qualifications other than teaching, i.e., administrator.
Hagar

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 5, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

nope wrote:
<quoted text>
But there is a money trail involved...
Again, when "for profits" groups try to get their hands in the public funds that are set aside to provide a basic right and service - that is a problem. Public schools should work on improving themselves and providing the best education open to everybody. Corporations by law have to be focused on making a buck for their stockholders.
The problem is that the existing school system is not improving itself (due primarily to the unions), which is why there needs to be some outside influence to cause beneficial changes.
Hagar

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 5, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

BTW, I'm not saying anything more than the Senate should get off it's butt and have the hearing, that is where her experience &/or qualifications will be decided. Two years seems a long time for the inept NM Senate to fail to take action.
APPAUSEPLEASE

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 5, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Of course

More childlike games by the dumb as craps!

Grow up people and actually do something that
will grow the economy, help us out of the
mess were in and move us all forward.

Put yourselves and your party above politics
for a change and do something to improve
New Mexico.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Say it in six words (Jul '08) 3 hr NMx 8,485
Gary King visits Alamogordo while on the campai... Aug 25 WARRIOR 17
New Mexico Chile joins Idaho Potatoes as certif... Aug 23 Kid_Tomorrow 2
New Mexico oil, gas industries see record produ... Aug 20 zoro2 1
Republicans reach out (Feb '14) Aug 12 Gee Ohhh Pee 68
stockexchange_business_casino_slotmachine_gambling Aug 10 this 1
Santa Fe real estate agent takes to using drone Aug 8 Shelly Slader 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

New Mexico People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••