N.M. Spaceport yet to draw manned flights, tourists

Oct 27, 2012 Full story: USA Today 18

New Mexico Tourism Secretary Monique Jacobson says it will be New Mexico's Sydney Opera House.

Full Story
Consequences

Louisville, KY

#1 Oct 28, 2012
T or C just got its "consequences" in a US major newspaper, USA Today, read all over the world.

Reminds me of all the bright-eyed people who've come through T or C: the place sure looks like it has potential. But, you'll spend your entire career "waiting" - because it "takes a village".

Branson's snow job on New Mexico seems to have gotten caught in the T or C vortex of a futuristic "someday".

All the big companies are passing on No Mexico.

And, Branson's lease is up in only a few years - before he pulls out completely.

The environmentalists will sleep better knowing the desert sand blows pretty mightily in southern NM, and the whole place could be covered up and swallowed by Mother Earth in a relatively short time.

Okay, game show fans, who's up next to play "Truth or Consequences"?
rehash

Espanola, NM

#2 Oct 28, 2012
I recall reading this identical story on USA today a month or so ago. What's up with that?

Maybe we'll see it converted into a drag strip someday, it's highly unlikely we'll be seeing passenger flights out of here due to the liability insurance issue.

Meanwhile the people that paid for it..will see no benefit whatsoever, except for dried up wells and the enrichment of some local building suppliers.

Our only chance for a major supermarket to come to town has been squashed with the leasing of the IGA property by the "tour company"
Rooty tooty

Truth Or Consequences, NM

#3 Oct 29, 2012
One things for certain. Apparenty there will never be shortage of folks in this town who feast on the passing on of bad news and drama like a bunch of schoolchildren. There are some sad sacks here indeed.

“Liberty and justice for all”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#4 Oct 29, 2012
Rooty tooty wrote:
One things for certain. Apparenty there will never be shortage of folks in this town who feast on the passing on of bad news and drama like a bunch of schoolchildren. There are some sad sacks here indeed.
Fortunately, Rooty, the poster from Louisville KY is not one of the "folks in this town." It is April schmidlapp who left our community more than 4 years ago.

While she may have had some valid complaints, she preferred to deal with those complaints by fabrication rather than with the truth.
Rooty tooty

#5 Oct 31, 2012
But am I wrong? Doen't there seem to be a whole BUNCH of people around town who just REVEL in bad news? They like to gather in coffeeshops and wallow in it. Like they have little grey clouds hanging around their heads. There's a lot of good in life. For example, I saw a Bud truck outside of the bowling alley. I was wondering if they were going to take over the liqour license the old owner was using. The new owner's kind of a small-man banty rooster type, but hey, beer and bowling coming back? I find a little happiness in that.

“Liberty and justice for all”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#6 Oct 31, 2012
Rooty tooty wrote:
But am I wrong? Doen't there seem to be a whole BUNCH of people around town who just REVEL in bad news? They like to gather in coffeeshops and wallow in it. Like they have little grey clouds hanging around their heads. There's a lot of good in life. For example, I saw a Bud truck outside of the bowling alley. I was wondering if they were going to take over the liqour license the old owner was using. The new owner's kind of a small-man banty rooster type, but hey, beer and bowling coming back? I find a little happiness in that.
Bad news for one person can be good news for another. All depends upon one's perspective.

...except for beer and bowling. That's good news for everyone.
Rooty tooty

#7 Nov 15, 2012
So has anyone been to the bowling alley? What kind of people work there? All I saw were meth heads unloading stuff into the pawn shop that was the liqour store. I don't wanna go there if there's a bunch of stringy haired crakheads wortking there.
go away

Espanola, NM

#8 Nov 15, 2012
This has nothing to do with the spaceport. Troll.
Fairbairn

#9 Nov 16, 2012
Yes, same list of characters. Wouldnt take my wife or girlfriend there.
Beam me up

#10 Feb 2, 2013
looks like we're back on track thanks to a last minute round of support from new mexico lawmakers. I have no doubt that my grandkids will see this all come to fruition. I'm energized and optimistic. Wonder if they will ever allow dumping of cremation remains in space. Like Scotty.
Dumping of remains

Espanola, NM

#11 Feb 2, 2013
Beam me up wrote:
looks like we're back on track thanks to a last minute round of support from new mexico lawmakers. I have no doubt that my grandkids will see this all come to fruition. I'm energized and optimistic. Wonder if they will ever allow dumping of cremation remains in space. Like Scotty.
Maybe it can be a answer to rid our system of these worthless Politicians we seem to be plagued with. It sure took them long enough to step in there and put some kind of hope into something that was initially funded by the taxpayers .

I am sure branson would feel sorry for us if his dream that he has none of his money invested would have been halted.

Lawmakers dealing with a no brainer, that is really funny. Wonder how much would be lost in a lawsuit in an enterprise that most people will never have the funds to participate in anyway. Unless of course the owners of these activities do not have to follow the insurance requirements the rest of the business owners in the US have to. No surprise there.
Beam me up

#12 Feb 3, 2013
Its costly to blast remains into space. I think a better use would be backfill for bridge abuttments. Lord knows our bridges are crumbling, and the cost of concrete is outta sight. The average body takes up several cubic feet. Imagine the cost savings by using their boodies for fill. And then would really COULD call the bridges things like.....the Obama interchange or the Pelosi Parkway. Things like that, and they would actually MEAN something.
Beam me up

#13 Feb 3, 2013
Branson's obviously no fool. You don't get to where he is by sitting around waiting for things to happen or by making poor choices. He chose to put all of HIS money in that spacecraft. Certainly not cheap by any means, but it does have the advantage of being able to be parked.....somewhere ELSE.

Since: Aug 11

Which Side Commissioner Luna?

#14 Feb 3, 2013
Beam me up wrote:
Branson's obviously no fool. You don't get to where he is by sitting around waiting for things to happen or by making poor choices. He chose to put all of HIS money in that spacecraft. Certainly not cheap by any means, but it does have the advantage of being able to be parked.....somewhere ELSE.
Ouch, all his money pooled into this project.

Maybe you need to find a gentle way to tell all in Sierra county that their last name is Branson.

But you are right in your statement that he is no fool. Smart enough to get a dream of his built with taxpayer funds. Talk about no risk!

Since: Aug 11

Which Side Commissioner Luna?

#15 Feb 3, 2013
Dumping of remains wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it can be a answer to rid our system of these worthless Politicians we seem to be plagued with. It sure took them long enough to step in there and put some kind of hope into something that was initially funded by the taxpayers .
I am sure branson would feel sorry for us if his dream that he has none of his money invested would have been halted.
Lawmakers dealing with a no brainer, that is really funny. Wonder how much would be lost in a lawsuit in an enterprise that most people will never have the funds to participate in anyway. Unless of course the owners of these activities do not have to follow the insurance requirements the rest of the business owners in the US have to. No surprise there.
They were probably in the same hardware store helping the poor guy (shopping on the albuquerque taxpayers dime) decide where to waste some poor taxpayers dollar for the rest of their workday.

Inspector Generals Office!! Again who is watching the watchdog. More of the same old shit.
Beam me up

#16 Feb 4, 2013
I would say it would be fair for Bransons venture to follow the same insurance laws other companies of its kind follow. but there are none. Its a new animal, and the culture of people from which we draw a majority of out state politicians have never been known to be overly bright. So its understandable that the new nidea and challenges are kind of like college reading material to someone reading at the 9th grade level. Justa little over their head.
shaun

Phoenix, AZ

#17 Feb 4, 2013
What a ridiculous media show last week with Fuentes et.al going to Santa fe to "save" the spaceport. Did you see how they gave a bunch of kids rocket toys just so they would attend-and there would be an audience for the press conference?
Beam me up

#18 Feb 5, 2013
Would you say I have a plethora of toy rockets?

Oh si, El Guapo, you have a PLETHORA of toy rockets!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Say it in six words (Jul '08) 21 min all a lie 8,535
How a Republican Stays Afloat in a Hispanic-Maj... 1 hr dirtbag1958 1
Who Determines Whether Someone Has A 'Latino He... 3 hr cupido 4
King: Gov. Martinez "does not have Latino heart" Sun justice is just a... 10
Legislator critical of spending for break rooms Sep 13 Mike 1
Gov. Susana Martinez reports $3.8M in campaign Sep 12 justice is just a... 3
New Mexico helps communities with arts, culture... Sep 11 Lljhvcnm 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••