Help! Need to choose a nice place to ...

Help! Need to choose a nice place to live in NJ

Posted in the New Jersey Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dan

United States

#1 Apr 18, 2007
I'm currently living in Southern CA but I've been offered a great job in NJ.

Basically, the job offer lets me choose one out of 3 possible worksites; Elizabeth, Atlantic City or Bridgeton.

Can anyone offer me any info, advice on these areas or offer any suggestions or comments?. I'm not really familiar with NJ at all. I'd really appreciate any insight into which of the three is the nicer, safer place to live. I'd also greatly appreciate any comments on suburbs & other areas within reasonable commuting distance from any of these 3 cities. What are rents like in Jersey?. It would be maybe just a 1 bdr for my wife and myself.

Lastly, is Jersey City within reasonable commuting distance from any of the 3 cities I mentioned?.
Thanks in advance for any responses!

“The Old Tough Guy.”

Since: Dec 06

Hellertown Pa

#2 Apr 20, 2007
Dan wrote:
Basically, the job offer lets me choose one out of 3 possible worksites; Elizabeth, Atlantic City or Bridgeton.
Can anyone offer me any info, advice on these areas or offer any suggestions or comments?. I'm not really familiar with NJ at all. I'd really appreciate any insight into which of the three is the nicer, safer place to live. I'd also greatly appreciate any comments on suburbs & other areas within reasonable commuting distance from any of these 3 cities. What are rents like in Jersey?. It would be maybe just a 1 bdr for my wife and myself.
Lastly, is Jersey City within reasonable commuting distance from any of the 3 cities I mentioned?.
Yeah, Their all within a fair distance. about an hour or so...Once ya get to know the back roads, shorter..
glensmark

Sparta, NJ

#3 Apr 22, 2007
Dan wrote:
keep away from Elizabeth, realy run down. Jersey city not much better. Atlantic City some NICE areas. Do not know allot about bridgeton but that is a NICE area of South Jersey although quite far out of the way from Jersey City. Jersey City and Elizabeth are Neighbors accross the river from New York City.

Best living area you listed would be Bridgeton, but I bet it is at least 2 hours away from Jersey City.

Lived in NJ most of my life (65 years)
randie

Newark, NJ

#4 Apr 22, 2007
No parts of Jersey City NJ are truly safe.Not a place you would want to stay with a crime rate that is very high.
Jenny

Massapequa Park, NY

#5 Apr 23, 2007
Elizabeth and Jersey City are in congested areas in the northern part of the state, quite the opposite of southern Jersey and the areas around Atlantic City. I don't know Bridgeton. Depends what you want. Do you want to be close to New York City and deal with more traffic etc? or be by the ocean, there are some nice beach areas/towns around Atlantic City.
Dan wrote:
Craige

Jersey City, NJ

#6 Apr 25, 2007
Strange that people trawl the JC part of this site only to trash JC. No parts safe? As run down as Elizabeth? Have you been to downtown JC lately???
Craige

Jersey City, NJ

#7 Apr 25, 2007
Oh my bad. I started on the JC part of topix and wound up on the all of NJ part. In any event, JC is the best of everything.
dee

AOL

#9 Apr 26, 2007
DONT do it!!This state is one of the worst in the nation!!Between the highest property taxes,car insurance,cities crumbling before your eyes,high crime,(especially in government)Trust me,ive lived here (unfortunately)all my life!
lindsay

Newark, NJ

#10 Apr 28, 2007
Craige wrote:
Oh my bad. I started on the JC part of topix and wound up on the all of NJ part. In any event, JC is the best of everything.
If you could afford living there....
JerseysBEST

Sparta, NJ

#11 Apr 29, 2007
Craige wrote:
OMG, I would NOT live in JC if they were giving away housing. I will take country living in anywere in NJ over any city in NJ. Where I live in Sussex county NJ. We do not lock our car in the driveway and only lock the house if were are going away for the day. And all the neighbors know when there is a stranger in the area.
grant

Alfred, NY

#12 Apr 29, 2007
North Jersey is pretty good. If you can afford it, Mendham, Chester or Bernardsville, Harding (low taxes because no schools.) You can get a decent house for 800k or up to 15+ mill.
yeahyeah

AOL

#13 Apr 30, 2007
take a job in nj why more fun going through an earthquake or flood !! I moved from bridgeton nj STINKS!!!!! so does AC north jersey is no picnic to drive in either
yeahyeah

AOL

#14 Apr 30, 2007
take bridgeton if you are fluent in mexican and have no kids unless you like them to get a real lousey education because they make sure to dumb things down
Rob

San Francisco, CA

#16 May 7, 2007
Can you recommend any townships in Sussex County?
susi Q

AOL

#17 May 9, 2007
beach areas if you like to have your wallet ripped out of your hand oh and pay to go on the beach what the heck is that crap about its not the new jersey ocean???? lived in fla for 12 years never paid a dime to walk on the beach in daytona
Old Joe

Sparta, NJ

#18 May 11, 2007
Rob wrote:
Can you recommend any townships in Sussex County?
SUSSEX county go to Hardyston township. Lower taxes good schools, not as bad a commute like the upper ends of Sussex. close to rt.23 & 94 Lots of golf courses, townhouses.
Ohioan

Cleveland, OH

#19 May 15, 2007
Iam from dayton, ohio and trying to relocate to either new jersey or north carolina. I have two teenage children and was wondering what areas are good for raising children.
glensmark

Sparta, NJ

#20 May 15, 2007
Ohioan wrote:
Iam from dayton, ohio and trying to relocate to either new jersey or north carolina. I have two teenage children and was wondering what areas are good for raising children.
Lived in NJ all my life, Go far North Like Sussex county or Far south like Cape May county. Keep away from any city area in NJ. There are many nive counties in North Jersey but VERY VERY EXPENSIVE, Bergen or Morris counties are 2 of the highest in the country.

Since: May 07

DAYTON, OHIO

#21 May 16, 2007
Thank you for that information. I was thinking of paramus, saddle river (Bergen County) to live.
amanda

Elizabeth, NJ

#22 May 16, 2007
Ohioan wrote:
Thank you for that information. I was thinking of paramus, saddle river (Bergen County) to live.
Don't even think about Hudson County. Politicians corrupt, high crime rates. You put your life in your hands. Pick up the paper and all you see is someone getting mugged and beat up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Jersey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
George Norcross plans to Control Phil Murphy an... 3 hr SOS 1
George Norcross and Chertoff using Internet to ... Oct 17 Cyberware 1
News Opioid abuse is in everyone's backyard Oct 15 Whitey drug 1
Mayor davids Mayer used internet to destroy life Oct 10 Lou 2
Little Falls Politician Oct 10 Spaguy 2
Mikki Yard Barrows & Thomas J. Shepos Oct 5 Riley Jones 1
George Norcross deceiving fund raiser. He reall... Oct 5 Norcross deceptive 1
More from around the web