NJ Aclu renews gay marriage push unde...

NJ Aclu renews gay marriage push under new leader

There are 4 comments on the NorthJersey.com story from Mar 31, 2013, titled NJ Aclu renews gay marriage push under new leader. In it, NorthJersey.com reports that:

The New Jersey Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has renewed its push to legalize gay marriage in the state under a new executive director.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NorthJersey.com.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Mar 31, 2013
New Jersey legislators will wait until the DOMA decision & their primary election before attempting to overturn fat-boy's veto.

If that fails, then it's time to submit it to the people for a vote; unless they want to wait another 4 years for a shot at marriage equality.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#3 Mar 31, 2013
One way or the other, same-sex marriage is likely to torpedo Cristie's rumored bid for the Republican nomination to President.

Detractors on the right will demagogue him for allowing marriage equality under his watch, whether it come through veto override or ballot box.

Probably his best outcome would be having the New Jersey Supreme Court revisit the decision and impose marriage equality on the Garden State, as the Supreme Judicial Court did in Massachusetts. Despite fighting that decision far harder than Cristie would dare, the rabid right attacked him as mercilessly as they did over Romneycare.

In other words, the best outcome for Cristie is bleak.

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Mar 31, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
One way or the other, same-sex marriage is likely to torpedo Cristie's rumored bid for the Republican nomination to President.
Detractors on the right will demagogue him for allowing marriage equality under his watch, whether it come through veto override or ballot box.
Probably his best outcome would be having the New Jersey Supreme Court revisit the decision and impose marriage equality on the Garden State, as the Supreme Judicial Court did in Massachusetts. Despite fighting that decision far harder than Cristie would dare, the rabid right attacked him as mercilessly as they did over Romneycare.
In other words, the best outcome for Cristie is bleak.
I tend to agree his best "out" is the NJ Supremes.

I wonder how quickly the courts will dispose of the current case after DOMA is overturned, considering they already rules same-sex couples must have the same rights as married opposite-sex couples? Obviously civil unions won't be able to comply with their previous order.

It could be a matter of summary judgments as soon as the DOMA ruling is official. I guess that will likely depend on the judges as usual.

Tawas City, Michigan

#5 Mar 31, 2013
NJ courts have been sitting on this case for THREE YEARS NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Jersey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Searching for soccer players who wants to play ... Fri Mark 1
Hillary clinton IRS investigation Jul 27 Norman 1
T R U M P can save the USA Jul 22 Arrest hillary 7
News Christie leads delegation to Cleveland, but not... Jul 19 trump fan 2
Horizon New Jersey Health Jul 16 airman 6
Hillary Clinton's Racist Hero Jul 9 Hillbilly is a fraud 5
News 'Sick and heartbroken,' Christie reacts to Dall... Jul 9 tom jones 1
More from around the web