'Time Team America,' archaeology on PBS

Full story: Newsday
WHERE Wednesday at 8 on WNET/13 REASON TO WATCH Short-run series tackles some mysteries of U.S. archaeology. Full Story
D Coley

Oshawa, Canada

#1 Jul 8, 2009
Time Team America is an attempt to create an Americanized version of the long running (19 years!) British show Time Team.

That show, like the American version takes 3 days to search for what ever can be found in a given location.

What seems to be lacking in the American show is a lack of a true host. This helps keep the British version "together".

Overall the production value looks great, it will be interesting to see if this test run works.
Robert Wenger

Eugene, OR

#2 Jul 18, 2009
Time Team America

This is the post I made to OPB

I think this program is quite interesting and has potential, and I have watched two of the series so far. But I have been doing archaeology in Oregon and Washington for 30 years, and most of the "Time Team America" presentation is just not reality or even close to what your publicity has suggested.

You have all these Time Team America "experts" who contribute nothing, say nothing, and do nothing. Its so obvious to anyone that has done archaeology, that all these "experts" regardless of their credentials, are planted.

Chelsea Rose, as attractive as she is, is just shown kneeling in a previously excavated Clovis floor. She contributed nothing, she said nothing, she did nothing. The same is true of your "expert" Julie Schablitsky. Her comment about the difficult field conditions during the recent Clovis series..."I'm hot!!" really says it all. She contributed nothing, she said nothing, she did nothing.

If you want reality, why not show and interview the people who are actually doing all the hard work No archaeology project I have ever worked on required more than the project director and perhaps a crew leader. The last thing we need are Time Team America "experts" standing around watching everyone else do the difficult work.

All of your Time Team America "experts" just ask questions of the true experts that are intimately involved in the project in question. So why pay all these "experts" that contribute so little. The artist is no different. No one has the money to pay for an artist to sit around and do speculative drawings of mammoths or historic fort palisades based on so littler evidence. For anyone in the profession who does measured drawings of things in context. the presence of your artist is ridiculous. Its not reality. The ground penetrating radar segments are rather silly as well.

None of my comments are things your general audience would particularly notice or probably care about. My suggestion is just do something like the History Detectives, where one or two people go about the business of reporting. Leave all these Time Team America "experts" at home. Same some money. They are really not contributing.
TT Team

Lincolnton, NC

#3 Jul 20, 2009
I watch it for the boobs and occassional interesting tidbit about NC's history. Still waiting for a "bikini" episode where they survey a wreck in the "Graveyard of the Atlantic". Keeping my fingers crossed... LOL!

;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Carolina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elvis Presley's sex secrets exposed Thu Steven Marks 8
skype sex anyone? Dec 18 xxxbadgirlsexxx 1
Who's got your vote in the North Carolina Senat... Dec 16 Red Square 110
NCWARN runs ad criticizing Duke Energy's approa... Dec 13 Solarman 1
Most illegal immigrants arrested in Smithfield ... (Sep '07) Dec 11 colleen Souza 9
Judge resigns so he won't have to marry gay cou... Dec 2 barry 795
Immigration debate grows from Web roots -- Arts... (Jun '08) Nov 21 chisaicoi 2,494
More from around the web