Smoke Free Mississippi rallies support

Full story: Newms360.com

Advocates marked the Great American Smoke Out by laying out the case for a Smoke Free Mississippi.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
anon

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

How about voluntary smoke free. Let those who want to smoke create their own businesses.
The Rogue

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Agreed.....with #1. We DO NOT need any more government controls in our life no matter what level of office. Yes, I like clean air, too, but I don't like government telling me what I've got to do. Since I don't smoke anymore as of six years ago, I'll simply go where I want to go, smoke or no smoke. FREEDOM......got it?
dognes

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

youtube.com/watch...

TUPELO – Advocates marked the Great American Smoke Out by laying out the case for a Smoke Free Mississippi.

“We in Mississippi have everything to gain and nothing to lose by enacting smoke free legislation,” Baldwyn resident Carol Allen said during a Thursday night forum at the Link Centre in Tupelo.

Surveys show 74 percent of Mississippians favor a comprehensive smoke free workplace law that covers restaurants and bars for the entire state.

So far, 65 municipalities, including 13 in Northeast Mississippi, have enacted comprehensive smoke free ordinances.

“I’m proud to say we live in a city that’s smoke free friendly,” said Tupelo city councilman and respiratory therapist Jim Newell, who opened the forum before about a dozen people.

A number of studies have shown no economic impact or a positive economic impact from comprehensive smoking bans.

Studies showing a decrease in the number of heart attacks after smoke free laws take effect have been replicated in Mississippi and elsewhere.

Despite the success in so many cities, less than a quarter of the state’s population is covered by a comprehensive smoke free ordinance.

A statewide law is the only way to cover the many Mississippians who live in rural, incorporated areas.

“All Mississippians deserve to breathe smoke free air in the workplace,” said Partnership for a Healthy Mississippi governmental relations director Rhonda Lampkin, who represented the broad coalition of more than 100 organizations that make up Smoke Free Mississippi on Thursday.

A similar forum was held Thursday night on the Gulf Coast.

More activities are planned to encourage people to make their voices heard by state legislators, said KC Grist, one of three regional coordinators for the Smoke Free Mississippi coalition.

“It’s so important for communities and leaders to step out and say how good it’s been,” in cities like Tupelo which passed a smoke free ordinance six years ago, said Grist, who lives in Tupelo
--
Smoke Free for me!
anon

Tupelo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Judged:

You can have smoke free with education rather than force. The problem with MS is education and the loss of people that care about intelligence. They rather have a nanny government tell them hat to do. You do not need permission to do what s best.
smoke

Leopold, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Freedom dies as well in any campaign to eradicate anything.

Teach your kids not to smoke but don't make some gas station owner hide his lighter stand behind an issue of juggs. That's just prickery.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••