Fighting Stereotypes About Mississippi

Fighting Stereotypes About Mississippi

There are 373 comments on the Booker Rising story from Dec 6, 2006, titled Fighting Stereotypes About Mississippi. In it, Booker Rising reports that:

Upset by the persistent images of the Deep South state as a backwater of poor, illiterate, racist good ole boys, an ad exec has started a campaign with $300,000 of his own money .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Booker Rising.

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
s f atkinson

UK

#1 Dec 7, 2006
i suport the south to remove the racist in the sothen dellter i am atkinson black hawk from the 1st of the famleyis to setle in the missisip as from the old steam bouts companis in new castle wich we run the missisip in the 1400 till 1905 and i dont like bush at all i give support cos of bler,and bush yores stephen
Blaize-Watson from BSL

Fort Payne, AL

#2 Dec 7, 2006
Hey s f atkinson,

It might come as a shock to you but we are not all inbred, low brow, illiterate, toothless, racist, white trash,red-neck cousin fucking members of the KKK here in Mississippi.

We are not all like in the movie Mississippi Burning.

In spite of getting our asses kicked by Hurricane Katrina, this is still one of the best places to live on Earth.

If you ever come to the USA, come see Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi and the rest of the MS Gulf Coast.

Peace,

Rita Blaize-Watson
A Proud Mississippian
Shuberts Wife

United States

#3 Dec 7, 2006
Damn Rita: I like your style! I wish I could say more in response to atkinson, but you handled it like a pro. And besides, I couldn't understand half of what the hell he/she/it said.
Bonnie
A Damn Proud Mississippi Transplant
Mr Mississippi

United States

#4 Dec 7, 2006
Ms. Blaze-Watson, I admire the fact you defend the honor of our great state. I too at one time would argue till I was blue in the face about how good our great state is, but now I just perfer to let them wallow in their own ignorence!
If it manes them feel good to think we are so bad, Good, let them stay away, or better yet let them go to New Orleans!!
koticktty

Newnan, GA

#6 Dec 7, 2006
I was born & raised in Kosciusko. For the past 20 years or so, I've lived in the Atlanta area. I have encountered far more ignorance & prejudice here than I ever encountered at home. The people in Mississippi are friendly; these people are rude to the extreme. People here seem far less educated than most of the people I knew in Mississippi. The school systems here are the poorest excuse for schools I've ever seen. Let people who don't know any better talk all they want to. Be proud that you are from Mississippi. It's a wonderful place to live. I hope to be coming back before long.
s f atkinson

UK

#7 Dec 8, 2006
i not a member of the kkk but you can get f..k wat col, is my next wive black like you a a a its prescot and johnson how are kkk so coled mp,s in kingston upon hull england its the yanks in hull yores atkinson stephen
Cheryl Burnette

Hattiesburg, MS

#8 Dec 8, 2006
I think S F Atkinson needs to find somewhere else to vent his/her anger.

Mississippi is a great state and I am proud to call it home. I have lived in Houma, Louisiana and Nashville, Tennessee. The night I crossed into Mississippi from Alabama with my husband in a Ryder truck, I cried because I knew I was back home.

As the saying goes "If you can cook (or like Mississippi) get out of the Kitchen (or Mississippi).

If you do not live or have never lived in Mississippi, "Don't knock it until you try it!"
dbw3993

White House, TN

#9 Dec 8, 2006
What exactly does "S F" represent? I can imagine many logial possiblities.
Shirley Q Fan

United States

#12 Dec 8, 2006
s f Atkinson,

You's sound like you's et up wit da spirit of ignunce. You's sound like white trash or I guess in yo case Euro trash. Howsever you's still welcum to visit us down here in Mississippi but by God gets ya sum manners fo you cum here. Now go an tells ya Mama I aks hows shes durrin!
Blaize-Watson BSL

United States

#13 Dec 8, 2006
Bonnie,

Thanks for the support. I know Chuck is from New Jersey, are you also? Before you came to MS, did you have a low opinion of us? What made you change your mind? I guess if Katrina didn't scare ya'll off, nothing will. Thanks for staying. Ya'll are an asset to the state and Chuck is an asset to the Sheriff's Office.

Rita
Shuberts Wife

United States

#14 Dec 8, 2006
Rita:
I was born in New Orleans, raised in Laplace (20 miles outside of NO) and moved to MS in September 1996. Prior to moving here, from 1988 until 1996 I spent weekends here at my grandmothers home, which I eventually bought. I have always loved the coast. The people were kind and smiles were abundant. I remember as a young teen how exciting coming to the beach was.
Chuck and I rode Katrina out one block from beach on Second Street. Katrina may have kicked some ass, but not mine. Im here to stay.
After Katrina we decided that we would take a vacation. So we ran off, got married, and went to Ireland for 8 days. As much as I loved Ireland, I still love BSL, I work for a great employer, and my husband LOVES his job at the Sheriff's Office. The Coast is our home forever.
I have had the joy of meeting Don. I hope he enjoys his official Irish scally cap.
I look foward to meeting you soon.
Bonnie
justme

Boise, ID

#15 Dec 9, 2006
s f atkinson

why don't you come to mississippi and learn how to spell
Shuberts Wife

United States

#16 Dec 9, 2006
I've been to Europe recently, an I dont recall anyone being totally stupid. The people there were kind. Only one lady was rude, and she worked at the "post" (aka post office). The only thing most people there said, when refering to the USA, was how sorry they felt for the citizens to have President Bush represting our country. Most were very kind and had very much class.

SF Atkinson is a fraud playing on his mother's computer.

Bonnie Shubert
Frank

AOL

#17 Dec 9, 2006
James Lee wrote:
Things are a lot better these days, e.g., black people are actually allowed to vote, but we have a tobacco lobbyist for governor, and PLENTY of ignoramouses running around STILL waving confederate flags a good 140 years after slavery was ended by force by U.S. military.
IOW, we have an on-going PR problem that is not going away just by sticking one's head in the sand.
James Lee,

You state that people still wave the Confederate Flag even though slavery was ended over 140 yrs ago. I still fly the Confederate Flag, it is the symbol of the south, it has nothing to do with slavery.
If you'll check your facts Slavery was norths escuse to fight.
What really started the Civil war is "money", The farmers in the south could sell thier cotton for more money by selling it to Europe instead of to the North. The northern states blocked the ports so the South couldn't ship thier cotton to Europe and force them to sell to them, and that is the real reason for the Civil war. As far as slavery goes I believe it was on its way out anyway.
Anyway as far as the Confederate Flag goes, people of intellegence knows its not a representation of slavery but of a states right to rule for itself. That is why we voted to keep the Confederate Flag as part of our state flag.
Rhonda Watts

Racine, WI

#18 Dec 9, 2006
I grew up in Mississippi, in the Improve-Sandy Hook community. I still visit my my family there and I hope to move back "HOME" soon. Its a beautiful part of the earth and I now miss some of the things that I took for granted while I was growing up there. I have now lived in Wisconsin for almost 20 yrs, but there is no place like home. Of course, its not a perfect place but its a lot better now than it was when I was growing up there. No matter how many times I visit, I can't help but notice the difference in people's pleasant attitudes and everyday demeanor. The youth are so much more respectful, and people are not afraid to express their love for GOD, even the business' have signs proclaiming it. No, its not perfect, but in my eyes its a heck of a lot better than where I am now.
Mr Mississippi

United States

#19 Dec 9, 2006
Rhonda Watts wrote:
I grew up in Mississippi, in the Improve-Sandy Hook community. I still visit my my family there and I hope to move back "HOME" soon. Its a beautiful part of the earth and I now miss some of the things that I took for granted while I was growing up there. I have now lived in Wisconsin for almost 20 yrs, but there is no place like home. Of course, its not a perfect place but its a lot better now than it was when I was growing up there. No matter how many times I visit, I can't help but notice the difference in people's pleasant attitudes and everyday demeanor. The youth are so much more respectful, and people are not afraid to express their love for GOD, even the business' have signs proclaiming it. No, its not perfect, but in my eyes its a heck of a lot better than where I am now.
Ms.Watts, I understand exactaly what you are saying! As a young man growing up here on the coast I could not wait to go out into the world and discover what was out there.
At the ripe old age of 21 I ran off and joined the U.S. Navy right after collage. Gave 22 years to Uncle Sam and after I retired I moved my family "back home". During my travels I was truly amazed at what I found. While "up north" most folks think it is still 1860 down here,while up there, there is more ignorence and racism than one could ever imagine!
As I explained to Ms. Blaze-Watson, I no longer even try to defend my great state. Now when someone starts bad-mouthing Mississippi I just look them right on the eye, stare real hard and say "What ever you do, don't ever go there", then I turn, smile smugly to myself knowing that hopefully I have prevented my great state from becoming contaminated and soiled by this persons ignorence.
While Mississippi is not perfect....she is close enough for me!!
God Bless.
Laughing hard

United States

#20 Dec 10, 2006
Back in 2000, my brother in law (ex) lived in Chicago. He came home one Christmas with a terribly snooty attitude. He told me that the entire North looks down on the south. And that entire world is laughing at the USA. So basically we were the idiots of the world.

I was sorta pissed, but knew better.

However, in 2004 my snooty bro moved back home to Metairie and bought land in MS....I guess the rest of the world can laugh all they want. I love this place and I am here to stay.

Moral of the story....roots are roots no matter what some northern idiot thinks.
Laughing hard

United States

#22 Dec 10, 2006
As seems to be occurring quite frequently, James Lee has invaded yet another message board. Haven't enought people told you that your opionion(s) are ridiculous?

Please spare us all your history lessons. Please find something productive to do with your time.

If you hate the south, leave. We'd NOT miss you.
James Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
This revisionist "history" of yours is the biggest load of bullcrap I have see on the internet in quite a while.
The confederate flag was used by the south during the Civil War as a symbol of itself, the slave-owning section of the country. The war was actually fought over slavery - the south feared the north was on the verge of either or both outlawing slavery completely or refusing to let any new states go slave. The south wished to keep humans as property the north thought that might be somehow immoral. Go figure.
Technically the north declared war when the south attached Fort Sumner which was federal property.
The majority of whites in Mississippi voted to keep the confederate flag as part of the state flag because they are ignorant bigots who refuse to give it up. Their ancestors - and my ancesters - LOST the Civil War just like god intended because they were sinners.
And southern whites LOST the fight with the Civil Rights movement. Jim Crow is dead, thanks to many northern whites and blacks from all areas who risked (or gave) their lives winning freedoms that were constitutionally guaranteed following the DEFEAT of the south in the Civil War but were denied by racist whites for nearly a century.
I know the truth hurts, Bubba, but you need to suck it up and face it like a man.
New Mississippi Resident

Baton Rouge, LA

#24 Dec 11, 2006
James Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
This revisionist "history" of yours is the biggest load of bullcrap I have see on the internet in quite a while.
The confederate flag was used by the south during the Civil War as a symbol of itself, the slave-owning section of the country. The war was actually fought over slavery - the south feared the north was on the verge of either or both outlawing slavery completely or refusing to let any new states go slave. The south wished to keep humans as property the north thought that might be somehow immoral. Go figure.
Technically the north declared war when the south attached Fort Sumner which was federal property.
The majority of whites in Mississippi voted to keep the confederate flag as part of the state flag because they are ignorant bigots who refuse to give it up. Their ancestors - and my ancesters - LOST the Civil War just like god intended because they were sinners.
And southern whites LOST the fight with the Civil Rights movement. Jim Crow is dead, thanks to many northern whites and blacks from all areas who risked (or gave) their lives winning freedoms that were constitutionally guaranteed following the DEFEAT of the south in the Civil War but were denied by racist whites for nearly a century.
I know the truth hurts, Bubba, but you need to suck it up and face it like a man.
As I have seen in many of the forums on this site, James Lee is just looking for a fight. If you do not agree with him, he starts to attach you personally. James, you may have lived in Mississippi for many years, but please grow up.
Every person has the right to express their beliefs. If I want to fly the Confederate Battle Flag, so be it. How many other symbols have you seen?

Blaize-Watson from BSL

Fort Payne, AL

#25 Dec 11, 2006
James,
I'm 48 years old and MS is my home state. When I was young the only people I saw waving the Confederate Battle Flag were Klansmen on TV and critters that look like something from the movie Deliverance, so I had a bad impression of that flag. In High School I found out the meaning of the flag and that the War between the States was not fought over slavery. Slave owners were a minority and a lot of poor people who had no interest in and did not benefit from slavery fought over states rights. As someone said before me the Confederate Flag means heritage, not hate.

My husband and several of his friends re-enact battles of the Civil War and if anyone spouts jargon about white supremacy they are not allowed to join the group. That seems to be the norm amoungst re-enacting groups. I have attended re enactments for about 25 years and I know of only two groups who had the white supremacy attitude and and when it became known, they were not invited to attend events.

I know a lot of racists wave the Conferate Battle Flag but not everyone who waves it is a racist.

There's a say that if you look for a devil around every corner you're going to find one. James, I think if you go looking for a racist around every corner, you will.

Peace,

Rita

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mississippi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sales tax revenues slip in region 9 hr Future 4
News Civil rights veteran Rep. Lewis being honored i... Wed The Stealth 2
Mississippi Sucks (Jun '08) Jan 13 aegeonis 569
News With Trump, some African Americans to skip Miss... Jan 12 Jerry 12
News Mississippi shore still rebuilding 10 years aft... Dec 31 Mysteries 1
News Graceland offers Elvis excursions to Tupelo, Mi... Dec 19 Food Trucks 11
News Last call: Obamacare open enrollment ends Friday Dec 19 Birth Control 10
More from around the web